PDA

View Full Version : On MMORPGs

Kurald Galain
2008-05-09, 07:25 PM
Yesterday, Blizzard officials confirmed the long-running rumors that they would be releasing the next edition of the popular multi-player game, World of Warcraft, by the end of the year.

A spokesman for the company pointed out several new features, such as a dice-based character generation system, the pen-and-paper interface, and the classic look-and-feel of a fire-and-forget system of spellcasting. "It's really amazing," stated one of the programmers. "Rather than spending hours coding the gravitic algorithms of spherical boulders, you can just tell the players that rocks fall, and now everybody dies! The spoken-word environment is amazingly immersive."

Players all over the internet were concerned. "They're turning our game into D&D!" is the common complaint. D&D, or Dungeons and Dragons, is a tabletop game played by a small minority of geeks in dark dungeons. It incorporates many fantasy elements popularized by World of Warcraft, such as wizards, swords, and unicorns. "It's not fair," commented a fan, "this dungeons game is nothing but a cheap derivative of our internet-based livelihood, and now they're turning our game into that!" The fan was not available for further comments because of the ensuing flame war.

The Blizzard marketing division has already hired an enforcement division that will travel to every player's house to confiscate and destroy all CDs of the older game, along with any merchandise and, for good measure, the computers they're being played on. "We want to make the transition easy to people", quoth the CEO. "We're sure this new edition has everything to offer for everybody".

Richard Garfield was not available for comment.

Reel On, Love
2008-05-09, 07:35 PM
http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/5567/iseewhat3ag0dx.jpg

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-09, 07:40 PM
Once again, Kurald wins, but in an even better style than with the 1337 samurai. While SOME posters here *Glare, but it's not a Reel on* are thick as a brick and with no skill at sarcasm, you do it, and do it well, m'friend.

AlterForm
2008-05-09, 08:01 PM
*Applauds*

Say, maybe someone'll make a 3rd party version of WoW where we get all the favorites of the old system with the favorites of the new ideas of the new one. I'm sure they'd have a kewl name, too, like Piezone or something.

Jayngfet
2008-05-09, 08:12 PM
You sir, are a comedic genius, a master of the subversion (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SubvertedTrope).

EvilElitest
2008-05-09, 08:14 PM
what gate?
from
EE

wodan46
2008-06-14, 11:27 PM
You beat my attempt. By a large margin.

TempusCCK
2008-06-15, 11:46 AM
*Applauds*

Say, maybe someone'll make a 3rd party version of WoW where we get all the favorites of the old system with the favorites of the new ideas of the new one. I'm sure they'd have a kewl name, too, like Piezone or something.

I would definately play a game called Piezone. But only if it's pronounced Pie-zone. It wouldn't even have to have anything to do with a pie, I would just play it for the name.

Ned the undead
2008-06-15, 11:59 AM
There is a pen and paper version of WoW. It's classes from Warcraft as well.

Rizban
2008-06-15, 12:08 PM
They're nerfing my class! So lamzor!

CarpeGuitarrem
2008-06-15, 08:43 PM
Epic win. That was awesome, man. :thog:

Waspinator
2008-06-15, 11:28 PM
There is a pen and paper version of WoW. It's classes from Warcraft as well.

There's actually two versions of those books. The first set is basically Azeroth (where Warcraft is set, if you didn't know) made as a campaign setting for standard D&D with some new stuff added on (the biggest example being a steampunk-y tech system with an associated Tinker class). The second set is more like D&D adapted to make it into World of Warcraft. Personally, I own the first and am not really interested in the second. It's much more interesting to be able to pull things from other D&D books and make a variant on the world of Azeroth in pen-and-paper D&D form than to try to just make an offline version of WoW. Psions and Warblades and goblins in steam-powered suits of armor is awesome!