View Full Version : Bite me

Charity322
2008-05-09, 08:43 PM
The imp's comment about how the orc couldn't eat him unless his teeth were silver or good aligned cracked me up.

Then I started wondering; if the orc happened to be good aligned would that make his teeth good aligned seeing as they are part of him as opposed to being a weapon he was carrying? And would that mean if a good aligned monk punched someone that his fists would be good aligned too?

Also, can a weapon actually have an alignment or did the imp mean a holy weapon?

Utter trivia but I was curious hehe.

KBF
2008-05-09, 08:50 PM
Hilarious, but no. Being 'aligned' means special enchanting to materialize your true element blah blah blah.

I bet you COULD get your entire body good aligned, somehow...

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-05-09, 08:56 PM
*chomp*
*munch*
*swallow*

Quite good, quite good.

(Note to self: Actually read posts next time, not just the title)

Chronos
2008-05-09, 09:01 PM
Holy weapons are good aligned, as are weapons with Bless Weapon, Holy Sword, or Align Weapon cast on them. Each of those except Align Weapon also gives the weapon other nice properties in addition to making it good aligned.

Natural weapons don't usually count as aligned, though there are some exceptions. A high enough level monk has unarmed strikes that count as lawful (but not good nor evil, even if the monk is LG or LE), and outsiders with one or more alignment subtypes (not just all outsiders with an alignment) count their natural weapons (and any weapons they wield) as being of the appropriate alignment or alignments (for instance, a hound archon's weapons are considered both good and lawful). There are also a few feats for making your attacks count as good.

Dorizzit
2008-05-09, 09:01 PM
Some outsiders have natural weapons aligned with their alignment, so no.

chiasaur11
2008-05-09, 09:42 PM
The comment actually made me think of a Lawful Good Paladin with teeth blessed so as to smite evil with his heroic smile. Or he could be an Orc and use the teeth more... directly.

Tvtrope's articles on "The Ace" and "Fake Ultimate Hero" influenced this one.

krossbow
2008-05-10, 01:32 AM
I think Specially blessed toothpaste is in order!

Then again, its not infeasible to find people with silver teeth in place of rotten ones; hah, that'd be a laugh.

Serpentine
2008-05-10, 01:47 AM
I think Specially blessed toothpaste is in order!I would totally let someone buy or invent this in my game. Could actually be pretty handy for, say, a Druid or anyone else with Wildshape or an animal companion...

snafu
2008-05-10, 05:29 AM
He did say 'in one bite'... which kind of implies no chewing. That imp could go down whole. How do those things react to acid?

Holammer
2008-05-10, 05:35 AM
*chomp* *chomp*

... needs salt

Moff Chumley
2008-05-10, 11:04 AM
I'd rule that any character that wants to overcome DR by bitting someone can go ahead.

Nikolai_II
2008-05-11, 01:48 PM
I'd rule that any character that wants to overcome DR by bitting someone can go ahead.

I already mentioned it as an option to a gnome half-celestial character with DR, that they could bite people to get past their DR. :smallcool:

stsasser
2008-05-11, 02:58 PM
Weise & Heilig, DDO - two doors down from the Tavern.

dragongirl13
2008-05-11, 06:01 PM
Only outsiders or monks can have natural weapons that are magic or aligned. The orc's teeth can NOT be good-aligned or magic, regardless of his alignment.

Charity322
2008-05-11, 08:20 PM
I get the aligned bit, but I would have thought that a magical beast or an aberration could have a magical bite attack?

Chronos
2008-05-11, 09:21 PM
Well, anything with an alignment subtype has aligned weapons, and in principle, a non-outsider could have an alignment subtype, but I can't find any in the Monster Manual. Even lammasus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lammasu.htm) and gold dragons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm#goldDragon) don't have the good subtype, and they're about as good as you get.

Charity322
2008-05-11, 11:07 PM
Ok I guess I don't get what an alignment subtype is then. I presumed it was an alignment other than TN and gold dragons and lammasu are LG aren't they?

Teron
2008-05-12, 01:04 AM
Having an alignment subtype isn't the same as simply being that alignment; it means the creature is a literal embodiment of it. For example, a demon is a being of pure evil and chaos; the very purpose of its existence is to represent and further those forces within the multiverse. Therefore, it has the evil and chaotic subtypes, and can (literally) punch through an archon's damage reduction.

pendell
2008-05-12, 11:53 AM

Then again, its not infeasible to find people with silver teeth in place of rotten ones; hah, that'd be a laugh.

Sounds to me like good-aligned toothpaste would be just the thing to fight Fiendish plaque/mouth bacteria.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Swashbuckler
2008-05-12, 12:01 PM

Check with the Osmonds. I'm sure Marie or Donny could set you up ...

Chronos
2008-05-12, 12:24 PM
Ok I guess I don't get what an alignment subtype is then. I presumed it was an alignment other than TN and gold dragons and lammasu are LG aren't they?And the way to tell if something has an alignment subtype is to see if it says it does. For instance, a Lantern Archon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/archon.htm#lanternArchon) is listed as
Size/Type: Small Outsider (Archon, Extraplanar, Good, Lawful)So it has the type "Outsider", as well as the subtypes "Archon" (which doesn't really matter much, mechanically), "Extraplanar" (which means that it can be banished), "Good" and "Lawful" (which mean, among other things, that its weapons count as both alignments). Meanwhile, a gold dragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dragonTrue.htm#goldDragon) is listed as
Type: Dragon (Fire)So it has the type "Dragon", as well as the subtype "Fire" (which means that it's immune to fire and vulnerable to cold), but it doesn't have the "Good" or "Lawful" subtype listed, so it's not either of those.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-12, 12:50 PM
Only outsiders or monks can have natural weapons that are magic or aligned. The orc's teeth can NOT be good-aligned or magic, regardless of his alignment.

Perhaps he's wearing Dentures +1 of Align Teeth...

chibibar
2008-05-12, 01:12 PM
holy fillings?

Callista
2008-05-12, 01:26 PM
Spells (cleric) and feats exist to let you align your natural weapons.

obilisk260
2008-05-21, 03:42 PM
I know that damage reduction can be a pain, but imps only have 13 hp, and DR 5. It would be easy for a tribe of orcs capable of defeating a high level PC and a strong NPC to defeat an imp. I might be missing something, but imps only have a CR of 2.

Uncle Festy
2008-05-21, 08:20 PM
Sounds to me like good-aligned toothpaste would be just the thing to fight Fiendish plaque/mouth bacteria.

QFA.
(Quoted for awesome)
But yeah. It wouldn't be that hard to punch through the imp's DR... just not with a half-orc's bite (no actual bite attack, despite the chompers).