PDA

View Full Version : Were-eagle?

J-H
2008-05-09, 10:55 PM
Is there any reason (other than DM fiat) why the hybrid form wouldn't have wings and a Fly speed?

Thinking flight + dive + spear/lance = double damage.

Such a were would also greatly benefit from anything that improves flight manueverability.

The Necroswanso
2008-05-09, 10:56 PM
There is no rule suggesting they wouldn't, but the listed LA does not account for wings and the such, so LA may grow. Much my favorite: LA+6 wereelephant.

Lord Tataraus
2008-05-09, 10:59 PM
From the SRD:
Speed
Same as the base creature or base animal, depending on which form the lycanthrope is using. Hybrids use the base creature’s speed.

There is nothing about "base land speed" only "speed", implying that all speeds carry over. Additionally, the "depending on which form the lycanthrope is using" implies that if the base creature doesn't have a type of movement (such as flight), but the animal does, it is only usable in the appropriate form.

archon_huskie
2008-05-09, 11:05 PM
Is there any reason (other than DM fiat) why the hybrid form wouldn't have wings and a Fly speed?

Thinking flight + dive + spear/lance = double damage.

Such a were would also greatly benefit from anything that improves flight manueverability.

What does the hybrid form look like? An Eagle is areodynamic which gives it the ability to fly at high speeds. Would the hybrid form? The wings of a bird are its arms. does the Hybrid have arms or wings or both?

J-H
2008-05-10, 08:34 AM
My thinking is eagle head, wings on back, and talon-like hands and feet on a humanoid frame.

Icewalker
2008-05-10, 12:07 PM
I'd say arms half-grown into wings with waves of feathers growing out the back, and the body becomes more streamlined, probably also growing sparse feathers. Maybe the legs thin slightly and small claws grow out of feet.

SoD
2008-05-10, 01:08 PM
One bit to check which could be useful: the winged template from Savage Species. That could help if it's LA you're looking for.

J-H
2008-05-10, 01:47 PM
Thanks, I'll see if I can find it in the Savage Species section of wotc's website...

SoD
2008-05-10, 01:50 PM
I'm wracking my memory for if it doesn't turn up...I know that the manuevarability is based on the subjects dexterity, it gives +2 wisdom* (not really applicible for a were-thing, they already get +2 wis), the example in the book is a winged dog, and...um...+1 or +2 LA I think. Not sure how it modifies the CR, if it does at all...

*Which I would houserule to a bonus to spot.

AmberVael
2008-05-10, 02:08 PM
The Winged Template adds +4 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, and gives you a fly speed double your base land speed.
I believe the flight maneuverability chart goes like this:
{table=head]Dex|Maneuverability
1-11|clumsy
12-13|poor
14-15|fair
16-17|good
18-19|perfect[/table]
It has +2 LA.

Edit: This is all from memory. Let me check my book.

hamishspence
2008-05-10, 05:00 PM
Given that Champions of Valor has a pic (by Wayne Reynolds) of a Dire Hawk with three claws on each wing, that is a pretty good example of how a raptor type could have hands. Allowing the dire eagle to keep hands in hybrid form doesn't seem that silly.

Uthug
2008-05-10, 06:27 PM
You can't make a dive attack with a spear/lance. Heres the quote:

A creature that flies can make dive attacks. A dive attack works just like a charge, but the diving creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. It can make only claw or talon attacks, but these deal double damage. A creature can use the run action while flying, provided it flies in a straight line.

Starsinger
2008-05-10, 06:40 PM
What does the hybrid form look like?
I'm thinking Raptorans are a good basis for what a hybrid were-eagle would look like.

Also, Uthug, I like your sig :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2008-05-10, 07:07 PM
What does the hybrid form look like? An Eagle is areodynamic which gives it the ability to fly at high speeds. Would the hybrid form? The wings of a bird are its arms. does the Hybrid have arms or wings or both?

It looks like Tibarn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_Fire_Emblem:_Path_of_Radianc e#Bird_Tribe):http://serenesforest.net/media/fe10illust/l/L_Tibarn.jpg

Why? Because he's awesome.

Starsinger
2008-05-10, 07:11 PM
It looks like Tibarn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_characters_in_Fire_Emblem:_Path_of_Radianc e#Bird_Tribe):http://serenesforest.net/media/fe10illust/l/L_Tibarn.jpg

Why? Because he's awesome.

Oh Tibarn! :heart:

Mando Knight
2008-05-10, 08:10 PM
Oh Tibarn! :heart:

I know!:smallbiggrin: I couldn't read the title of the thread without thinking of the "Shipless Pirate!"

Even Ike gains awesome points for being allied with the guy... and he's a single-class Badass!

UserClone
2008-05-10, 09:00 PM
Careful, Starsinger - your gay is showing. Ah who am I kidding? Tibarn makes my gay show, and I'm not even gay!:smallbiggrin: (Also, when are we goin' on that sushi date? Ah... sushi :heart::smallwink:)

Starsinger
2008-05-10, 10:18 PM
Careful, Starsinger - your gay is showing. Ah who am I kidding? Tibarn makes my gay show, and I'm not even gay!:smallbiggrin: (Also, when are we goin' on that sushi date? Ah... sushi :heart::smallwink:)

There, now I have a fancy sign advertising it :-p also... sushi sounds good... :smallwink:

UserClone
2008-05-11, 01:42 PM
No way! You can't be gay in the playground without winning a contest first!! You are so goin DOOOWN! (wow, in the context of gay, maybe I shouldn't put it that way).:smallwink:

Lycar
2008-05-11, 04:05 PM
Hrm.. i'd say, you can either have your cake or eat it. Having both arms and wings, in addition to legs, would effectivly turn your were-eagle into a hexapod.

I suppose, wing-like arms with lots of feathers but still capable of grasping things are the best bet. Wanna fly? Go all the way, bird-brain! :smalltongue:

Still, a case could be made for semi-functional wings which would allow a sort of gliding or maybe a sort of flying, which is really just wing-boosted jumping. In that case, however, the griping ability of the wing-hands should be limited. No two-weapon fighting for you, birdy! :smallconfused:

And if you go for fully operational wings that allow flight, well, he still could be considered to be grasping a spear in his talons. This, however, is only an option if he remains airborne all the time. Which should be pretty tiresome. Maybe limit his endurance by giving him a number of minutes or hours of flight-time each day before he becomes exhausted.

But wings and arms should only ever come with a hefty level adjustment. You are gaining a free set of limbs after all!

Lycar

J-H
2008-05-11, 10:38 PM
Thanks all.

Of course, two talon attacks at double damage is 4d4+4*(STR Mod) plus any bonuses for improved natural weapon feats. Not too bad at low/mid levels.