PDA

View Full Version : Conufsion about Factotum

Frosty
2008-05-10, 01:06 AM
The Factotum's Cunning Strike ability lets you spend points to gain sneak attack damage. Terrific. Do I still need to flank/catch them flat-footed, etc in order to gain this SA damage?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-05-10, 01:11 AM
Yes. You'll still have to meet the condition for sneak attack. That's why it's calle d sneak attack damage, not precision damage, I guess.

p.s. I think the question would be more suitable for Q&A thread, don't you think?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-10, 01:11 AM
Yes, it's SA.

Also, do you not see the Q&A thread? The rules lawyers there enjoy answering these questions, and it saves space (and badwidth) on the boards.
ninja'd

Frosty
2008-05-10, 01:12 AM
Sure, we can move it there or whatever.

Nebo_
2008-05-10, 02:19 AM
This is the sort of question that can be answered by reading the rules.

UserClone
2008-05-10, 02:21 AM
I think he gets it, guys. *moves on*

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-05-10, 07:27 AM
Y'know, it's not required that you use the Simple Q&A thread for questions.

Particularly if you think there might be a chance that it's not so Simple anyway.

Draz74
2008-05-10, 01:49 PM
Y'know, it's not required that you use the Simple Q&A thread for questions.

Particularly if you think there might be a chance that it's not so Simple anyway.

Good point. However, for future reference, we can see with hindsight that this particular instance would have been a great candidate for the Simple Q&A thread.

nargbop
2008-05-11, 12:40 PM
I'm playing a Factotum in a game without Internet sources ( so no Font of Inspiration ) . Since 1 point for 1d6 makes factotum a VERY weak sneak attacker ( he has to use his points for many things, including landing the hit in the first place ), my DM houseruled that Sneak Attack from Factotums was based on my Factotum level. That is to say, for one point I could make a single attack as if I was a rogue of my factotum level.

Frosty
2008-05-12, 02:27 PM
I got a few more questions (and I didn't want to start a new thread). What should be a Factotum's stat priorities?

After Intelligence, what should a Factotum favor? Strength? Con? Dex? I think I'll be concentrating on being a melee-totum, so probably strength? If so, is Power Attack worth it? Or should all of my feats go into Font of Win? If I am not using Power Attack, then I should just go with a one-hander and also use a shield right?

And as a more general question, is strength or Con more important for a melee character in general if you want to be a protector type? I can't seem to decide between hurting the enemy more (which would make them see you as a threat) or having more HP, which would make you last longer Specifically, I've got these stats to throw around for a Fighter who will need a decent dex for AoOs already: 11 13 14 14 15 16

sonofzeal
2008-05-12, 03:07 PM
I got a few more questions (and I didn't want to start a new thread). What should be a Factotum's stat priorities?

After Intelligence, what should a Factotum favor? Strength? Con? Dex? I think I'll be concentrating on being a melee-totum, so probably strength? If so, is Power Attack worth it? Or should all of my feats go into Font of Win? If I am not using Power Attack, then I should just go with a one-hander and also use a shield right?
Totally depends on the Factotum. It's a profoundly flexible class, so you can take it in any direction and work well. Dex and Con are priorities though. Strenght, Wis, and Cha depend on the build. I'd try to dip Swordsage and grab Shadow Blade, then dump Str. If that's not an option, high str builds can work well.

Frosty
2008-05-12, 03:41 PM
I'm going straight Factotum, so no dipping in Swordsage for me. Assuming I'm not going the Power Attack route, is sword and board optimal? I can't see myself investing too much in two-weapon fighting. <I'll probably be ninja'ed due to slowness of internet>

I can't see a Factotum investing too much in Charisma unless they want to Turn undead?

Human Paragon 3
2008-05-12, 04:11 PM
I'd go with STR as strait damage isn't the factotum's strong point. CON would be another good choice for the following reasons: 1) HP is great for everybody and factotum's D8 HD, while respectable, is no Fighter or Barb. 2) You need to make concentration checks to use your SLAs.

Here's something else that you may have missed. One of the good things about the factotum's sneak attack ability is that you can "nova," spend most or all of your inspiration points to deal one big attack. This is not always a smart move, but at high levels spending 10 inspiration points to get a plus to hit then dropping an extra 9d6 damage can be fun.

Frosty
2008-05-12, 04:45 PM
yeah but if you miss though...you've wasted SOO many points. I wish they weren't wasted when you miss.