PDA

View Full Version : Grah! Orc Party!

SoD
2008-05-10, 01:28 PM
Basically, in the campaign I'm designing, the party could potentially end up on the friendly side of a desert orc tribe, and could end up returning to the camp (pop approx. 2-300ish) after retreiving one of Gruumshes holy spears. Basically, in the desert, apart from putting kobolds on spears, what would a bunch of desert orcs do to celebrate?

I'm thinking having the whole thing end up in a large brawl, but first have a few organised fights (non-leathal), a lot of drinking, dancing around the bonfire, etc. but it would help to get other ideas as well.

Also, it can't be fatal for a 3-4th level party (they should be about this level by now), and, if it helps, the orcs will soon be marching to war against the desert kobolds.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-10, 01:30 PM
Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Kobold) :smallbiggrin:

Jayngfet
2008-05-10, 01:34 PM
Drinking games, drink the beer, you win another beer, lather, rinse, repeat.

bigbang99211
2008-05-10, 02:00 PM
Here's what I would do:
1. Orc leader gets drunk, impairing his very-likely already low decision-making skills.
2. Orc excitement over the return of their sacred spear is gradually converted into a kind of berserk energy.
3. The orcs decided to attack the nearest kobold camp, right then and there, with all of the PCs caught up in the excitement.

Well, it looks good on paper at least, a bunch of drunken orcs attacking kobolds, with the PCs (minus anyone who also partook in the merrimaking) as the only rationally-minded people on the orc's side.

SoD
2008-05-10, 02:06 PM
Here's what I would do:
1. Orc leader gets drunk, impairing his very-likely already low decision-making skills.
2. Orc excitement over the return of their sacred spear is gradually converted into a kind of berserk energy.
3. The orcs decided to attack the nearest kobold camp, right then and there, with all of the PCs caught up in the excitement.

Well, it looks good on paper at least, a bunch of drunken orcs attacking kobolds, with the PCs (minus anyone who also partook in the merrimaking) as the only rationally-minded people on the orc's side.

This I like! Taken for extremely strong consideration.

For a bit of backstory, the party were basically sent to steal this spear from a fortress temple, which was nearly uninhabited, and to leave behind a trapped box (low level burning hands spell), which contains a note from the 'kobolds' laughing about now having the spear (the kobolds and orcs were on the verge of a battle peace [orcs strength+kobold cunning=not good for everyone else!]). On the way back (the shrine was en route to somewhere else they were going) a bunch of orcs see them, and, if they got the spear without being seen and are carrying the spear in sight, the orcs assume that they took it from the kobolds and consider them as friends of the tribe, and the party ends up invited to the just-got-the-spear-but-haven't-killed-those-responsible-yet celebration. Hilarity ensues. I'm also going to potentially have one of the orcs hit on a party member (drunk, of course).

SurlySeraph
2008-05-10, 03:00 PM
Drinking games, drink the beer, you win another beer, lather, rinse, repeat.

Beer? How are you supposed to get hops in the desert? Fermented cactus flowers, or just raw scorpion venom, is more likely.

Jayngfet
2008-05-10, 03:02 PM
Beer? How are you supposed to get hops in the desert? Fermented cactus flowers, or just raw scorpion venom, is more likely.

Why not both?

Ralfarius
2008-05-10, 03:04 PM
Whenever orcs want to kick back and relax nothing compares to a good ol' fashioned round of ORCBALL!

For those of you not in the know, it basically consists of trying to get an object into a goal. That's about as concrete as the rules get. The rest of it is pretty much infinitely mutable as the game progresses, sometimes even team composition (Who wants to be on the losing side?).

Oh yeah, and the orcball is usually some unlucky sod's head.

Da King
2008-05-10, 03:38 PM

Wooo! Tequila!

Keld Denar
2008-05-10, 03:47 PM
Races of Stone has the rules and details for Goatball, the Goliath's gladiatorial cross between Rugby and Greko-Roman Wrestling. You could make some minor flavor adjustments and use a thorny cactus ball for the orcs that are badass enough to play it.

AslanCross
2008-05-10, 05:12 PM
I'm thinking Orcball would be more like Calvinball, where you make up the rules as you go.

Except they don't bother with creativity.

I'm thinking they'd also involve everyone in the cooking. They let a wild pig loose, and the first guy who grabs it and kills it gets first dibs on the food. Usually.

SoD
2008-05-11, 11:13 AM
Oh yeah, and the orcball is usually some unlucky sod's head.

The orcball is what?! :eek:

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-11, 11:34 AM
Man, I thought this was going to be something like the Live-Action Trollball played at some RuneQuest conventions.

Jimp
2008-05-11, 04:32 PM
The more Waaaaaaggghh!!! the better.

Ralfarius
2008-05-11, 04:38 PM
The orcball is what?! :eek:
A game of ORCBALL is best started by turning some poor sod's head, forcibly, into the orcball. Don't worry, I'm sure it won't be you... SoD.

If you haven't yet, please to get yourself a copy of Mary Gentle's Grunts! (http://www.amazon.com/Grunts-Mary-Gentle/dp/0451454537)

It's not the deepest book I've ever read, but it was quite amusing, and told almost entirely from the perspective of the orcs.

Flickerdart
2008-05-11, 04:42 PM
Oh, definitely have the PCs judge a wet T-shirt contest. Since they don't do so well with orc beauty, they end up offending everyone. Chaos ensues.

AslanCross
2008-05-11, 05:43 PM
Oh, definitely have the PCs judge a wet T-shirt contest. Since they don't do so well with orc beauty, they end up offending everyone. Chaos ensues.

"I say her tusks are more elegant and seductive."

xPANCAKEx
2008-05-11, 06:21 PM
oh dear sweet jebus - i can forsee a new generation of half-orcs about to be spawned out of this

Kompera
2008-05-12, 01:49 AM
oh dear sweet jebus - i can forsee a new generation of half-orcs about to be spawned out of this
How apropos. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0555.html)