PDA

View Full Version : Animal Companion-Swallow Whole

brant167
2008-05-10, 02:34 PM
Hey, I am building a 10th level druid for a game next week and was wondering if there was any way for my animal companion Nibbles, a Dire Tortoise (Sandstorm pg. 151), to obtain the Swallow Whole ability?

Da King
2008-05-10, 03:35 PM
See if you make your animal Companion able to cast Bite of the King from the SC. It's an 8th level spell though, might be a bit out of reach.

brant167
2008-05-10, 03:54 PM
Hmmm, thanks! I could pick up ancestral relic feat and can add that as a once a day ability to it...since druids share spells with his animal companion it would work.

Xefas
2008-05-10, 04:22 PM
If he's Huge sized or larger, he can take the feats Snatch, Improved Snatch, and then Snatch&Swallow to grab and eat anyone two sizes smaller than himself or smaller with a couple grapple checks.

brant167
2008-05-10, 04:34 PM
Its huge size so it would qualify for that feat. I considered that but because of feats I wouldn't get swallow whole until the druid hits level 20, without a dip into beast master or the like. Are there rules written that say you can switch out the animal companions feats...or that every animal of that type has the same feats? The animal has 3 toughness feats I could swap out for that feat chain, if it was legal. If not I could bug the DM about allowing it.

Fostire
2008-05-11, 12:31 PM
Its huge size so it would qualify for that feat. I considered that but because of feats I wouldn't get swallow whole until the druid hits level 20, without a dip into beast master or the like. Are there rules written that say you can switch out the animal companions feats...or that every animal of that type has the same feats? The animal has 3 toughness feats I could swap out for that feat chain, if it was legal. If not I could bug the DM about allowing it.

If they are racial feats you cant change them. But if it gets the feats from HD you should be able to choose the ones you want. The feats are already chosen in the monster manual so that the dm doesnt have to.