PDA

View Full Version : Wildstorm Comics anyone?

Dirk Redwood
2008-05-10, 05:32 PM
Anyone here a fan of Wildstorm comics? If so what are your favorite Wildstorm comics?

I am pretty new to comics and I think I am drawn to the Wildstorm comics because there seems to be less "rules" on story telling for superhero stories, so really non-tradtional stories like Ellis's Stormwatch and Authority, Brubaker's Sleeper, or Casey's Wildcats can be told.

The new status quo on the Wildstorm universe by the end of the summer will be a post-apocalyptic world that the heroes failed to prevent. I am a little iffy on this new universe wide setting myself but its still pretty ballsy

Count D20
2008-05-12, 11:18 PM
Wow, really?
Post apocalyptic?
that seems interesting and yet...
If the world is ruind , then people like the authority are going to fix it. so things will be back to norrmal for the western world quickly. and the third world will be at a similar level , in healthcare,education,nutrition, and other factors.

Dirk Redwood
2008-05-15, 04:12 PM
Wow, really?
Post apocalyptic?
that seems interesting and yet...
If the world is ruind , then people like the authority are going to fix it. so things will be back to norrmal for the western world quickly. and the third world will be at a similar level , in healthcare,education,nutrition, and other factors.

It looks like the Authority is going to get seriously nerfed during the end of the world. No Jenny, Doctor goes crazy and wanders off, Carrier crashes into London.

Om
2008-05-17, 01:32 PM
It looks like the Authority is going to get seriously nerfed during the end of the world. No Jenny, Doctor goes crazy and wanders off, Carrier crashes into London.Good. Even in its earlier runs the Authority were ridiculously overpowered... a trend that only got more pronounced when Millar took up the reigns

North
2008-05-20, 05:19 PM
Yeah the Authority stories were good, but they do tend to make the rest of the universe it occupied kind of meaningless. The doctor a godlike enitity, who can just wish "whatever he wants to happen" character. The others not much better. Them getting nerfed is a good thing.

The Rose Dragon
2008-05-20, 05:21 PM
I like Global Frequency. And the Authority. Sadly, I am still reading the early parts of their runs, and I didn't get to read Stormwatch.

Count D20
2008-05-29, 10:36 PM
Well, except for the part where she detonated her quantum bursts in bendix's brain jenny quantum doesn't seem that powerful.
And there are ways to nerf her powers without removing her.
Perhaps her abilities fade a bit as the world settles into the 21st century?
I would really like to see more of their family dynamic.

The problem with the doctor is that later authors lessened the original (ellis) high mental strain of power use, and the constraint of symbolism.

Finn Solomon
2008-05-30, 08:21 AM
I'm Singaporean, and I love the new Jenny. Quantum or Quarx or whatever her name is, she kicks ass. The sad part is, if she actually wore her freaking cool T-shirt designed from the Singaporean flag here, she'd get arrested by the police. But I don't care, man. I want a shirt like that!

bosssmiley
2008-06-08, 09:40 AM
Well, except for the part where she detonated her quantum bursts in bendix's brain jenny quantum doesn't seem that powerful.

Not powerful? I know there's a lot of informed ability (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/InformedAbility) to Jenny Quantum but - as Swift notes - only the Doctor is anywhere near her on the power scale.

She's the vastly more powerful successor to the woman who flash-fried Kaizen Gamorra's goons when they tried to torch London, who fried the Sliding Albion attack fleet, and electrocuted the owner of Earth ("Call it God") in an undisputed crowning moment of awesome (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrowningMomentOfAwesomeComics?from=Main.CrowningMo mentOfAwesomeComicBooks).
She blows Titan's legs off soon after her birth.
She beats Seth the superpowered hillbilly in a parody of the "Red Son" finale.
Her identical twin Jenny Quantum single-handedly kicks the tar out of the Authority.
She creates the Infinite City and ages herself because she subconsciously realises she needs to be older and more mature than she is at age 8.
She contains a supernova and barely has to stop for a breather before kicking Henry Bendix' butt.

Yeah, I'm a big fan of the Authority. It was a comic that had the bottle to ask the question that other comic books only lampshade and evade: "Why do superheroes never go after the real b@st@rds?"

Skyrocket
2008-06-10, 04:44 PM
I can't get into the "new' WSU. I was a pretty big WS fan back in the 90s, got several letters printed and everything. But too much has changed and a lot of the characters are nothing like the ones I used to read about. :frown:

And I had such high hopes for the new Gen13 too.