PDA

View Full Version : Free MM0's

Jayngfet
2008-05-10, 05:34 PM
I've gotten bored with single player RPG's, and for reasons to be left vague I've only got enough money for a couple of months with a normal MMO, and No where near enough free time on my hands to pick up a MMO and get my money's worth, are there any good free MMO's out there, Preferably one that doesn't require a members service to get half of the stuff on it?

Kizara
2008-05-10, 06:01 PM
Do you need a hero-based RPG game, or just any MMO game? Cause I have something for you if you don't mind a competitive province-building text-based game (that has a very large following and is very professionally done and maintained).

Jayngfet
2008-05-10, 09:13 PM
Do you mean Ikariam, because I already tried that, raised a couple of colonies, Built a huge Castle and such and got bored.

I'm currently checking out Dungeon Runner, It's from the guy's who make guild wars, and the phrase mages are OP rings clear here, I right clicked an entire forest into oblivion alone before fifth level, and when I got there I soloed a dungeon and got so much loot I couldn't carry it all.

Kizara
2008-05-11, 03:26 PM
I mean Utopia.

http://games.swirve.com/utopia/

Honestly, I swore off ever playing it again, but if you generally don't get addicted to things, its a very good game and I highly reccomend it.

Also, the paying aspect only gives you minor bonuses in game that can be easily compensated for by playing better.

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-11, 07:57 PM
Okay so here are 8 good mmorpgs I've heard of (that are free, and I've played alot of mmorpgs)

Mythos: It's like diablo. For the reason of they were made by the same team. It's not a pure clone, though. It only has three classes, but they are'nt standered warrior/rouge/mage. The bloodletter, for example is a warrior with cool blood magic powers that let it do stuff like summon minions from corpses. It's in beta, I think but it still is very good, and rarely feels like grinding.

Requiem: Bloodymare: Not for the faint of heart. It is a total, complete bloodbath. If you poke someone, he'll probly bleed. Wether you find this delightfull or nauseating, it's more then JUST a bloodbath however. It has a very deep charcter creation system, which alows ou to alter your DNA at nearly any time to adapt for upcoming quest. Also the beast possesion system allows you to be nigh-unstoppable. It's also newbie freindly, and has a great world.

Dungeon runners: as you have apperantly played this, it doesn't need much explaing. the members only items, and almost screen coveing adds are annoying though.

Granado Espada: sword of the new world: It's pretty weird, with it's american colonaztion theme, but it's unique. You control a "family" of three chacrters, rather then just one. It has alot of good in it.

Holic: It's pretty entertaining, and you can eventually make stuff like dungeons, that you can invite people to run through with you, but as the name suggests, is a grind

Shaiya: sword of light and darkness: IT's like Liniage 2 , kind of. It has long and violent pvp events, with multiple difficulty levels. Like Holic, there is alot of rinding in this game.

Fiesta: It looks pretty good, and has some standout designs. Also, the GM's are freindly, willing to take ideas from players and some actually happen. ALso gm contorlled events span the whole server most of the time.

Lastly, Cabal online: It doesnt break the mold, but it's pretty good. It has some uniqiue stuff, like the twitch reflex based comb system, and it encourges PvP duels, which give you convineances other MMORPGS make you pay for, like increased potion stacking. In general, i's a pretty good game for casual players

So you might want to wiki or google them for more information, but they are all pretty good, and better yet absolutely free!

Mr. Mud
2008-05-11, 08:35 PM
Its not exactly an RPG, but Puzzle Pirates (http://puzzlepirates.com) is a MMO, with about 1,500 active members on a server, which doesnt seem like much, but its almost the percet amount for the game of its type.

Its a game, where you puzzle to earn PoE (pieces of eight) which are used to poker (awesome) buy clothes, shoppes (yes, the economy is run by players), Pets and familiars, and swords and bludgeons, among other things. The "best" way to get PoE is to pillage, wich are run on different ship, varying in size from 7 people max to *looks it up* 250 max players.

I've been playing it for a good number of years now, and its better than half of the MMO's I paid for.

I paly on Viridian Ocean, and My pirates names is Mrmud. PM me, or join up, and I'll talk to you more in depth.

Fair Winds!*
Mud

*sorry, was just in that pirate spirit :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2008-05-11, 08:45 PM
I played Puzzle Pirates for a little while. Good concept, interesting game, it was alright, but I didn't feel it was worth the subscription.

But...you posted it here. That implies that it is free now. Is it? That'd be awesome. Used to be you could play without paying but you could only get a very small portion of the game available to you, I think. Something like that. Or it was a free trial. Some significant limitation.

Mr. Mud
2008-05-11, 09:11 PM
Ice, You were probably playing a subsrciption ocean. Now, they made 3... 4* (new one made the other day, so great time to start again) doubloon oceans, where u trade PoE for doubloons, which are kinda annoying, and a bit overpriced. Overall, the game has come a longggg way from the good ole' days. If you (either of you) come back to viridian, I am more than happy to spot you some PoE.:biggrin:

Mud.

Flickerdart
2008-05-11, 09:19 PM
Shell out $60 for Guild Wars Prophecies + Eye of the North and you won't regret it. No monthly fees!

Tussy the Druid
2008-05-11, 09:25 PM
Guild Wars is probably one of the most fun games I've ever played.
Almost been playing for three years now (but on and off)

Tirian
2008-05-14, 03:19 PM
I played Puzzle Pirates for a little while. Good concept, interesting game, it was alright, but I didn't feel it was worth the subscription.

But...you posted it here. That implies that it is free now. Is it? That'd be awesome. Used to be you could play without paying but you could only get a very small portion of the game available to you, I think. Something like that. Or it was a free trial. Some significant limitation.

Just to expand on Mrmud's explanation, every individual facet that required a subscription to play on a subscription ocean has a dubloon cost on a dubloon ocean. The ability to be promoted within a crew, the ability to do the crafting or carousing puzzles whenever you want, most clothes and weapons, stuff like that.

There are two major positive differences. The first is that you don't have to pay for the parts you don't want. If you only want half of the frills of the subscription, then essentially you're only paying half of the monthly fee. The other advantage is that there is an in-game exchange of dubloons for pieces-of-eight, so being good at a few puzzles means earning more than enough to pay for dubloons that someone else paid the real-world money for.

I played for about six months and got far enough to become a senior officer in a top-ten crew on Viridian, and in all that time I never paid a dime and wound up with about $80 worth of dubloons that I donated back to my crew when I got tired of it. It is a lot of fun, although it has the same influx of immature asshattery as any other popular online game (which I suspect is the true price of wanting to play for free). If you can find a crew of capable friendly people that pillages when you want to be online, then you might enjoy it as much as I did.

TheOtherMC
2008-05-14, 03:27 PM
Noones mentioned RF yet?

www.rf-onlinegame.com

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-14, 03:32 PM
Text based suggestions :
kings of chaos - a MMORPG, many players, no money involved unless you win something(check announcement), it has clans, there are only three things you need to be good at it : Time, strategy and diplomacy skills. (www.kingsofchaos.com)

Rise of Tyrants - A small game with its own community, almost everybody is friendly there, and if you got problems there, tell me, I know a friend who is friends with the owner, Fury(who is also the admin) (http://www.riseoftyrants.com/age2/index.php)

Neftren
2008-05-14, 03:39 PM
Ice, You were probably playing a subsrciption ocean. Now, they made 3... 4* (new one made the other day, so great time to start again) doubloon oceans, where u trade PoE for doubloons, which are kinda annoying, and a bit overpriced. Overall, the game has come a longggg way from the good ole' days. If you (either of you) come back to viridian, I am more than happy to spot you some PoE.:biggrin:

Mud.

I can spot you a couple hundred thousand PoE. Okay, I'm not willing to shell out that much, but yes, I do have enough for several frigates in cash. Puzzle Pirates is fun, but it lacks the flair of an MMO that I like. Maybe if it was in three dimensions, it'd be fun.

Beleriphon
2008-05-14, 09:13 PM
http://66.7.192.165/banners/full_banner2.jpg (http://www.fallensword.com/?ref=1639240)

Fallen Sword if a fun, free MMO.

Smight
2008-05-15, 08:09 AM
Lunia (http://lunia.12foottall.com/main.asp) interesting style of play.

Totally Guy
2008-05-15, 11:54 AM
My first MMORPG was a game called Eternal Lands and I spent a very good time there. It's a classless game although everyone is created equally you eventually meld into the role you persue.

The skills all compliment each other.
Harvesters are the big producers.
Fighters are the big consumers.
Along the way there are blacksmiths, tailors and jewelers supplying the fighters.
Alchemists supplying magic users and blacksmiths
Potioners supplying fighters, magic users and item makers.
Fighters supplying summoners
Even jewelers supplying miners with teleportation rings.

And beneath this society there are those that would bring harm to the masses calling forth an invasion to peaceful areas, fighters of all ilks come to the rescue, so to see that nobody comes to any harm, others take advantage of the chaos to see what goods they can find on the bodies of the fallen.

It's not perfect, fighting is a bit linear. And there's no skill cap meaning that you're essentially competing with players that have always been the top players because they have no real lives.

ufo
2008-05-16, 03:48 AM
I loved Eternal Lands, but I lost my ridiculously-high-harvesting character at some point.

Glug, do you know if that new island is introduced yet? Back in the old days, I knew a secret pass to it.

Totally Guy
2008-05-16, 08:24 AM
You mean Roanof Island near Tarsengard? Yes, a tree asks a riddle.

Or second continent? That changed some dynamics, they added a high level ore called hydrogenium that could only be mined by using and losing a steel 2 edge sword. And it was through a cold cold PK map. My blacksmith was not afraid, the only times I came close to being killed I managed to talk my way out of it, I was very lucky to encounter honourable fighters.

I actually made a secret map for the game. On the west coast of portland there is a house and the wardrobe leads to Dao Monastery. It's such a good map. Too bad my guild mates made the entrance PK. Now no one goes there.

You were called ufo in the game? I had 2 characters, Earl the pompous blacksmith and Glug the idiotic fighter that took all the positive perks and no stats.