PDA

View Full Version : Changing One's Name

Collin152
2008-05-10, 07:26 PM
So, as of late I have been pondering on the process of legally changing ones name in America.
I realised I had no idea what that entails.
Perchance i could be enlightened on this process?
Have any of you actually odne it before?
And while I'm at it, if you could change your name, who would you be?

Szilard
2008-05-10, 07:29 PM
I would never change my name: Szilard. Everyone thinks its cool.
Don't know about the legal process though.

Szilard
2008-05-10, 07:33 PM
Changeing one's name. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_change)

thubby
2008-05-10, 07:44 PM
it takes forever and is a massive headache. my mother did it. while I'm not 100% sure on everything. i have some advice, keep a bank account in your old name. many things you have tied to things like credit cards and checks will remain in the works (under your old account) for a very long time, if that account disappears the paperwork and hoops are nauseating.

Collin152
2008-05-10, 07:49 PM
it takes forever and is a massive headache. my mother did it. while I'm not 100% sure on everything. i have some advice, keep a bank account in your old name. many things you have tied to things like credit cards and checks will remain in the works (under your old account) for a very long time, if that account disappears the paperwork and hoops are nauseating.

Suppose I already have... nothing in my current name, and my plan is to change my identity before aquiring them.

Also, I gather from that wikipedia article that the process is somewhat unique in California, but I can't seem to work out what its saying.

mercurymaline
2008-05-10, 08:56 PM
I consulted a lawyer, filled out paperwork, paid filing fees and legal fees (few hundred dollars,) went before the judge and attested I was not trying to get out of debt or hide from the law. Was done very quickly. You'll get paperwork showing the legality of the whole thing, so you can send copies to credit card companies, electric co., etc. It's not really too complicated.
I have a grandmother who refuses to accept the name change, sends me checks for Hannukah under my old name. I just take papers, my new ID and old ID to the bank, and they cash it. No problem. Hope that helps.

morbid

Collin152
2008-05-10, 10:18 PM
I consulted a lawyer, filled out paperwork, paid filing fees and legal fees (few hundred dollars,) went before the judge and attested I was not trying to get out of debt or hide from the law. Was done very quickly. You'll get paperwork showing the legality of the whole thing, so you can send copies to credit card companies, electric co., etc. It's not really too complicated.
I have a grandmother who refuses to accept the name change, sends me checks for Hannukah under my old name. I just take papers, my new ID and old ID to the bank, and they cash it. No problem. Hope that helps.

morbid
A great deal, it does help.
So, legally speaking, I would be both who I was and who I choose to be? In name, that is.

Thiel
2008-05-11, 12:00 PM
I don't know how it works in the US, but it's a fairly simple process here in Denmark. You just fill out a formula, pay a fee and that's it. Since all legal records are digital and filed under a social security number and not a name, what you call yourself is unimportant. (Legally speaking anyway)

mercurymaline
2008-05-11, 05:54 PM
A great deal, it does help.
So, legally speaking, I would be both who I was and who I choose to be? In name, that is.

If for some reason you've something (or someone) who doesn't accept the change, just keep some old picture ID to prove you are who you were. Also, @^, I forgot about social security. Getting a new card was easy, some paperwork and a few weeks in the mail. You keep your number, so if you take your old card to the SS office, should have no problem.

morbid