PDA

View Full Version : Mana in D&D / AD&D ?

Narmoth
2008-05-11, 04:47 PM
I'm testing out a mana based, rather than memorizing system for spellcasting in AD&D.
The idea is that a spell is worth one mana point for each spell level it has. The mage get's one mana pr spell of first lvl he is supposed to be able to memorize, 2 mana for each 2nd lvl spell and so on.

The balance for this is fighter exclusive weapon specialization, a game world poor on magic and that the magic is illegal (a complication a bit like Baldurs Gate II). Also, it's a storytelling campaign rather than hack and slash, so it's harder to exploit the additional magic.

At present, with the players still unfamiliar with the system, it has worked great, but they have yet to get empty on mana.

So, anyone tried this before?

Kurald Galain
2008-05-11, 05:01 PM

Yes, and they called it "psionics". Happened somewhere back in first edition, although it took them a couple of decades to get the numbers straight. Psionics is nothing but magic on a mana point system; it even has many of the same spells, by a different name.

Glawackus
2008-05-11, 05:09 PM
I can't say that I haven't thought about this before. Watching replies with interest.

Matthew
2008-05-11, 05:15 PM
Sure, a similar system was also outlined in Player's Option - Spells and Magic. I use a similar 'Magic Point' system.

drengnikrafe
2008-05-11, 05:36 PM
Me and my super awesome DM are working together to make a system of magic. It's a spell-point system (like mana, only called "Magic Points"). Except, rather then magic working in normal levels, it's working in 3 levels, and is based upon the epic "seeds of magic", so you level up your number of magic points as well as your seed points, and you can only use spells in which you're trained by using seed points.
But it's not done yet.

AslanCross
2008-05-11, 05:41 PM
Yeah, psionics in 3.5 are very much like a mana/MP system.
http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/psionicPowersOverview.htm

3.5 rules, but I'm sure those are easily adapted into whatever edition you're using.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-11, 06:14 PM
Not only is there Psionics, but there's a variant that turns regular magic into something similar.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm

I've heard that adaptation can cause some problems though. (Though off the top of my head, I forget what ones) I think one such possible problem could be that 9th level spells are much better than 8th, and 8th much more than 7th, and so on. So you'd likely get more value in a few high level spells than many low level ones.

Either way, people have been calling for something like this for awhile, and this is the official response.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-11, 06:50 PM
Sure, a similar system was also outlined in Player's Option - Spells and Magic. I use a similar 'Magic Point' system.

This. The spell point system.

Modifying the D&D 3.5 magic system to work with spell points would be effortless: compare to the psionics system and go. Metamagic feats have spell point costs (level modification x 2 points), and so on.

Chronos
2008-05-11, 07:57 PM
I'd kind of like to see a system which had both mana point costs and spell levels, which worked independently. Just because a spell uses a lot of energy doesn't mean it's particularly complicated, and vice-versa. For instance, a high-mana but low-level fire spell might do something like 10d6 damage to everything within 100'. For the same mana cost, but a slightly higher level, you could have a spell which did that damage to everything within 100' except you. On the other end of the spectrum, you might have a spell that does 3d6 damage within 30', but you could pick and choose regions or creatures in the area that are or are not affected (like, "I want to damage everything in the quadrant in front of me except for Bob the Fighter, plus a spot of fire right on each of those two bugbears flanking me").

Spells which cost more mana than you have, you can't cast (though you might be able to cast a weaker version, and you might also be able to supplement your own supply of mana by using up mystical substances like dragon organs or the like). Spells which are higher level than you, you can attempt to cast, but there's a chance that something will go wrong (the greater the difference in level, the greater the chance, and the worse the potential consequences).

Neftren
2008-05-11, 09:49 PM
I'm testing out a mana based, rather than memorizing system for spellcasting in AD&D.
The idea is that a spell is worth one mana point for each spell level it has. The mage get's one mana pr spell of first lvl he is supposed to be able to memorize, 2 mana for each 2nd lvl spell and so on.

The balance for this is fighter exclusive weapon specialization, a game world poor on magic and that the magic is illegal (a complication a bit like Baldurs Gate II). Also, it's a storytelling campaign rather than hack and slash, so it's harder to exploit the additional magic.

At present, with the players still unfamiliar with the system, it has worked great, but they have yet to get empty on mana.

Look at the Spellpoint System.

Dhavaer
2008-05-12, 05:35 AM
I'd kind of like to see a system which had both mana point costs and spell levels, which worked independently. Just because a spell uses a lot of energy doesn't mean it's particularly complicated, and vice-versa. For instance, a high-mana but low-level fire spell might do something like 10d6 damage to everything within 100'. For the same mana cost, but a slightly higher level, you could have a spell which did that damage to everything within 100' except you. On the other end of the spectrum, you might have a spell that does 3d6 damage within 30', but you could pick and choose regions or creatures in the area that are or are not affected (like, "I want to damage everything in the quadrant in front of me except for Bob the Fighter, plus a spot of fire right on each of those two bugbears flanking me").

Spells which cost more mana than you have, you can't cast (though you might be able to cast a weaker version, and you might also be able to supplement your own supply of mana by using up mystical substances like dragon organs or the like). Spells which are higher level than you, you can attempt to cast, but there's a chance that something will go wrong (the greater the difference in level, the greater the chance, and the worse the potential consequences).

I think this is an awesome idea. I'd like it now, please.

Mauril Everleaf
2008-05-12, 04:29 PM
My DM has homebrewed an entire Mana Point system for our AD&D games. We no longer use the Magic-User or Illusionist, but rather a Warlock, and no more Clerics, just Priests.

I don't really understand how he came up with the system, but it seems to work.

Warlocks are given 2d4 Mana per level. At level one, they are given 4 + Int Mod + Wis Mod + 1d4. (Int and Wis mods being based on the 3.x system.) The Warlock's spell range from 0 (lesser level) to 10 (greater level) mana per casting, and spells that have a duration longer than 1 round require additional mana for upkeep. Additional mana, up to the Warlock's level, can be added to any spell to boost various effects (penalties to saves, extra damage dice, extra range or size, etc.). All the spells from the manuals were re-leveled or removed and a whole slew of new spells were added.

For Priests, a similar mechanic was applied, except it is 1d8 + 1d4 Mana per level, and 8 + Wis Mod + 1d4 mana at first level. Similarly, all spells were re-leveled or discarded. Most of the new Priest spells came from BGII and IWD, although some were homebrewed. Most, if not all, Divination spells were made Priest only. (DM's rationale was that "divination should require a 'divine' connection". Yes, it is a lame reason.)

All in all, the system affords much more versatility and usability, especially at higher levels where most of the low level spells are nigh useless. It does increase the power of the games a bit, but that is off-set by most of the homebrew fixes to "mundane" characters (fighters, thieves, etc.).

We like it but, as evidenced by our newest player attempting to play a Warlock, it can be quite confusing as compared to the Vancian system.