PDA

View Full Version : Meetup Bay Area/California meetup

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

SilentNight
2008-05-11, 06:02 PM
I haven't been here extremely long so I don't know if it's been done before, I thought it might be a good idea. Being a minor with an extremely small house though, I can't host anyone. If it gets off the ground I was thinking Games of Berekely or some such place. On the other hand it may fall to the backburner forever. Anyone interested?

Amotis
2008-05-11, 06:59 PM
I was thinking about a little road trip up to Berkley early this summer with a friend to visit a gitp member we haven't seen in a while. Meetup might be cool if we're up when you guys decide to have it.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-05-11, 08:22 PM
I'd love to, but I wouldn't be able to unless I got my license, and that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.:smallfrown:

Icewalker
2008-05-11, 08:43 PM
Definitely would be awesome, but I'm in more or less the same situation as SilentNight as a minor. Games of Berkeley might work...I don't know how much they do group functions though. Eudemonia maybe?

averagejoe
2008-05-11, 08:44 PM
I live within walking distance of both shops. I suppose I pretty much have to go, iffin this gets off the ground.

Em Blackleaf
2008-05-11, 08:52 PM
I'd want to go, but Krimm's right, his lack of license would be an impediment to both of us. Assuming he'd take me if he did have a license. :smalltongue:

SilentNight
2008-05-12, 08:32 AM
So sounds like we've got a few people interested so maybe it's not such a bad idea. Eudemonia sounds like a good idea but I don't know all that much about it. About the Blackleafs, how far out are you guys? You might be able to take a bus? I'll check with my friend who goes to Eudemonia a lot and see if they do this kind of stuff. Any ideas for what to do?

Icewalker
2008-05-12, 09:54 AM
Eudemonia is mostly a gaming place, a bunch of excellent computers in the front that you pay a little to use. Then there are a bunch of tables in the back, and I think groups of people meet up and do WH40K/dnd and such. If Games of Berkeley is an option for group events though it is probably a better choice. I mean, they do have OOTS books :smalltongue:

averagejoe
2008-05-12, 12:54 PM
Also, Eudemonia isn't a couple of blocks from Games of Berkeley, so if you can get to one you can get to the other.

Trains are annother possiblility for the Blackleafs, or perhaps someone else picking them up?

sktarq
2008-05-12, 06:51 PM
What kind of time period are we looking at here anyway?

SilentNight
2008-05-12, 06:53 PM
So I guess we'll wait and see if anyone else chimes in. It would be cool if we could get it to coincide with Amotis's and Felixaar's trips. Eudemonia sounds easy but I agree that GoB would be better. Any ideas for specific things to do?

EDIT:@sktarq: I don't know. Unless somebody wants to offer up their house I guess we're looking at just a single day of meet/greet/play something (again, ideas anyone? I got nothin') and then leave. I'm really not the best planner though. Suggestions?

Icewalker
2008-05-12, 07:30 PM
Yeah, not sure what we could do in the short term. Running a game is the most obvious answer, but I dunno. I can't run a game in person, only in pbp where I have some time to react (also it takes me forever to put a good game together).

Other than that, I can't think of many other options.

Gaelbert
2008-05-12, 07:54 PM
I'd love to go, and I only live a couple hours east, but I'm not quite sure my parents would approve of me running off to San Francisco to meet up with a bunch of people I met on the Internet...:smallsigh:

Icewalker
2008-05-12, 08:03 PM
But...we're from the good part of the internet!

:smalltongue:

It's true. Gitp = best part of the internet. In terms of people.

Gaelbert
2008-05-12, 08:22 PM

I know, which is why I don't have a problem with going, but I have a feeling my parents would be a little more skeptical.

Icewalker
2008-05-12, 11:43 PM
I know what you mean. Foolish parents :smallannoyed:

Solo
2008-05-12, 11:52 PM

So what am I doing here?

Icewalker
2008-05-13, 12:33 AM
Be quiet Solo. We're trying to trick the parents.

Go hang out in SMBG or something :smalltongue:

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-13, 01:57 AM
Ooo, this sounds like fun!

:smallsigh:

Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near there, or likely to be anytime soon.

However, as a veteran Meetup'er for GitP'ers, I may be able to offer some assistance!

What to do...

Since you're not looking at a weekender, don't limit yourself to running a D&D or other role play game. One-off's can be fun, but try to find something that will let people hang out and be themselves.

Try to have it in some place that won't mind if you get a little loud, since you're going to be having fun and you don't want it to be stifled (sounds like you've got this under control).

Figure out what kinds of other games you all like to play and what everyone has and can bring. Some popular ones for the meetups I've attended are Apples to Apples, Curses, and Munchkin (or any of it's variants). These games have the advantage of not really having an upper limit to the number that can play. If prodded, I'm sure some others can make some other suggestions (I'm looking at you, LLama). :smallcool:

Depending on the number of people you've got coming, some newer ones I've run across that were fun are Hex Hex (3-6 players) and Bang! (3-8 players depending on which expansions you have), and I've heard really good things about Last Night on Earth, though I've never played that one in particular.

And don't forget the standard "party" games like charades. Here is a link (http://www.bluepineapple.com/partygames/) with some other ideas, but the 'net is full of them.

And don't forget, this is most important, tell the rest of us how much fun you had! (and pictures or it didn't happen :smallcool: )

Reel On, Love
2008-05-13, 02:09 AM
I'm an hour's drive or so from Berkeley. Don't know if I'd make it to a gathering; I don't hang out in Friendly Banter and I'm pretty dang busy (if I've got free time, I should be spending it with my girlfriend, right?).

Solo
2008-05-13, 02:11 AM
I'm an hour's drive or so from Berkeley. Don't know if I'd make it to a gathering; I don't hang out in Friendly Banter and I'm pretty dang busy (if I've got free time, I should be spending it with my girlfriend, right?).

Bring her along for the ride :smallwink:

Pardon the double entandre, but if she's a gamer, she'd enjoy it. If she isn't you can try to convert her.

Reel On, Love
2008-05-13, 02:14 AM
Bring her along for the ride :smallwink:
Bringing one's girlfriend to meet a bunch of people you've never even met yourself. Typical girlfriend behavior!

Pardon the double entandre, but if she's a gamer, she'd enjoy it. If she isn't you can try to convert her.
She's not much of a tabletopper. I'm not necessarily interested in converting her.

And you're missing the point. We could be spending that time in bed.

...snuggling, of course...

Solo
2008-05-13, 02:16 AM
Looking up the AC on the beast with two backs, no doubt.

Reel On, Love
2008-05-13, 02:19 AM
Looking up the AC on the beast with two backs, no doubt.

It has a touch AC of Consent.

Felixaar
2008-05-13, 05:31 AM
If you make it in late august I'm there, fellows. Since gaming is probably the main thing we all have in common, gaming should be what we would do, and then, I dunno, all go out for pizza and icecream?

Just to make clear, we dont actually have anyone in the area with their own place?

SilentNight
2008-05-13, 08:25 AM
If you make it in late august I'm there, fellows. Since gaming is probably the main thing we all have in common, gaming should be what we would do, and then, I dunno, all go out for pizza and icecream?

Just to make clear, we dont actually have anyone in the area with their own place?

I can only speak for myself but yes, Idon't. There's a good pizza place called Arinell right near both of the possible locations so sure, pizza's great. I guess late August is as good as anything seeing as we don't have date yet.

@Zeb:Thanks for the suggestions.:smallbiggrin:

As for stuff to do, I think I have a copy of apples to apples somewhere. We could also run a low level campaign, maybe somewhere around 3rd-7th? Anyone else?

averagejoe
2008-05-13, 03:30 PM

I have my own place, but it's mostly just a room. I could put someone up for the night in a pinch, but I can't really host anything.

Also, there is no shortage of delicious and affordable resturants in the area. Food will not be much of an issue.

If we're talking RPGing, I could probably manage to run something. If we're talking something else, I can see if other people have stuff I can borrow. I can almost certainly scrounge a copy of Apples to Apples, and possibly some other stuff. Also, let's not forget good old fashoned playing cards.

Vaynor
2008-05-14, 12:26 AM
Aww, I can't come. If only it were closer, or October (when I get my license). I'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't be up for four 5-hour trips just so I could meet some people I've only known online. If there was one in the LA area (or somewhere near there, I live an hour away personally) I could come. Oh well... :smallfrown:

Felixaar
2008-05-14, 06:28 AM
Also, let's not forget good old fashoned playing cards.

Strip Poker! I kid, I kid, since practically everyone to post her so far is a guy.

And thats a bummer, Vay. Might i point you in the direction of my thread on the impending amr/can invasion?

SilentNight
2008-05-14, 08:29 AM
So assuming that the Blackleafs, Felixaar, coolgaelburt and Reel On, Love, can make it we're looking at nine people. That's more than enough for an RPG-session and pretty good for Apples to Apples. So those look like our choices unless we can find a card game that we all play. Anyone know Deuces or Euchre? Anyone know any other playgrounders in the area?

averagejoe
2008-05-14, 05:37 PM
We should probably think about when to do this as well.

SilentNight
2008-05-14, 07:32 PM
Felixaar said he'd be in town around late August so I guess that's as good as anything. I'll only be able to do it on the weekend around then though. Problem is, if we do it too late in August, schools will be back in session. Anyone got a better date?

Felixaar
2008-05-14, 08:25 PM
a weekend around that time would be awesome.

SilentNight
2008-05-15, 09:14 AM
Well, since we haven't heard from anyone out of town (except Felixaar) I guess we could do a whole weekend. How do the 16th and 17th sound to you guys?

averagejoe
2008-05-16, 09:02 PM
There shouldn't be any huge problems with that for me.

Reinboom
2008-05-16, 09:23 PM
If anyone is willing to make a 'short drive over to utah' to pick me up (and back)...
I miss san francisco and the bay area. Come on, you know you want to let me visit. :smalltongue:

Icewalker
2008-05-16, 11:41 PM
That's on you, SweetRein. We'd love to have you though.

16th and 17th of...August?

SilentNight
2008-05-18, 06:12 PM
If anyone is willing to make a 'short drive over to utah' to pick me up (and back)...
I miss san francisco and the bay area. Come on, you know you want to let me visit. :smalltongue:

We'd loveto have you, but like Icewalker said, you're on your own.

@Icewalker:Yeah, August, I may end up having a conflict actually but I don't know yet.

MandibleBones
2008-05-18, 09:22 PM
I may be in Santa Cruz during that timeframe - if I make the short drive up to Berkeley, would my wife and I also be welcome at this meet-up?

No promises, of course - the end of summer is rather up in the air at the moment - but I do have a copy of the OotS game if I do come.

Felixaar
2008-05-20, 01:42 AM

Since I'll be in Utah shortly prior, you could split a bus ride with me. You'd have to find your own way back though.

SilentNight
2008-05-20, 08:20 AM
I may be in Santa Cruz during that timeframe - if I make the short drive up to Berkeley, would my wife and I also be welcome at this meet-up?

No promises, of course - the end of summer is rather up in the air at the moment - but I do have a copy of the OotS game if I do come.

Sure, you're welcome to come. The more the merrier.

Pocketa
2008-05-26, 12:51 PM
I'm in.

Okay, pros and cons of each:

Eudemonia:

Only crowded section is the internet cafe
More teens/adults
I know they always have free tables
Cheap food
You're allowed to eat food
Stuff is confined to the stuff section, it doesn't leak over to the gaming sections

GoB:

Kinda crowded (at least when I go) everywhere
More kids
Bigger
No internet (that I know of)
I don't know what the food policy is, but I assume you aren't supposed to eat in there, and they don't sell food either

I would be in. Saturdays are good for me, and Fridays.

SilentNight
2008-05-26, 06:20 PM
I've never been to Eudemonia but it sounds like the wise choice. Thanks Pocketa, we'd love to have you.

Possible activities so far
Gaming session (averagejoe has volunteered to run)
Cards
OoTS game (if MB can make it)
Party games courtesy of Zeb
Apples to Apples

So, how does August 16th work for everyone?

Pocketa
2008-05-26, 08:22 PM
August 16th is all good for me, I may carpool with somebody that lives nearby.

averagejoe
2008-05-26, 09:05 PM
For those who haven't heard of Eudemonia, they have a website. (http://www.eudemonia.net/)

Also, you guys seem more familiar with Games of Berkeley, so I made a map comparing the locations of the two. (http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u282/teddifunken/gamesmap.jpg)

Poison_Fish
2008-05-28, 04:30 PM
I may be interested, I just got back in the area. I've never heard of Eudemonia, so it must have been made while I was gone. I'm not to far away from Berkeley, but not quite in walking distance(I'm in Oakland). I'd be up for meeting up though.

Amotis
2008-05-29, 12:44 AM
I still wanna go, I think I can make it as school starts on the 25th. You know, if I work enough money up to pay for tuition/books AND 4 dollars a gallon gas , I'll try to come. I'm almost positive I can drag the gitp user: Tim the Enchanter too. This does depend on a place to crash and though I might have one lined up, that was suppose to be around the start of summer and August really is more in the butt area of summer. We'll see.

averagejoe
2008-05-29, 11:35 AM
Well, as I said, I can put up someone, maybe two if they don't mind sharing a futon. However, my place being what it is, I would strongly reccomend that you take anything else that you can get, just because it's a bit small and probably won't be terribly comfortable.

Felixaar
2008-05-29, 10:50 PM
joe, I'll take a closet if that's all the room you got.

...man, I'm going to be so dissapointed if everyone doesnt look exactly like their avatars (except of course Pocketa, who probably will).

All the activites sound good as long as people can teach me what the hell I'm doing (though to be honest, sometimes its more fun to just make it up as I go along).

Death, your friend the Reaper
2008-05-29, 11:02 PM
...man, I'm going to be so dissapointed if everyone doesnt look exactly like their avatars
A pet shop held a competition to win a parrot. You could enter without buying anything...
...hm, I should try and buy a cloak if thats the general feeling of meetups, although I can't see an Australian meetup coming soon, mainly since Alice Springs would be the central location :smallwink:
...because there was no perches necessary.
Hope you guys get this off the ground! Always enjoy seeing these group shots, they look like a darn amount of fun!

Felixaar
2008-05-29, 11:09 PM
When I get back from my trip I'm hoping to organize an Oz meetup... only problem is that you live in WA (I think) and I'll most likely be on the coast. That and my "girlfriend" will probably kill me.

averagejoe
2008-05-30, 01:23 AM
...man, I'm going to be so dissapointed if everyone doesnt look exactly like their avatars (except of course Pocketa, who probably will).

You hope that Amotis is a wierd skelleton thing? :smallconfused: Sorry Amotis, you seem pretty cool, but if you do turn out to be undead I might have to try and unkill you.

Amotis
2008-05-30, 01:32 AM
Sorry Amotis, you seem pretty cool, but if you do turn out to be undead I might have to try and unkill you.

Fair enough.

averagejoe
2008-05-30, 02:12 AM
I'm always a little nervous when I say suff like that to people. I'm always a little afraid that they're really undead and I'm offending them really badly.

Amotis
2008-05-30, 02:13 AM
I'm always a little nervous when I say suff like that to people. I'm always a little afraid that they're really undead and I'm offending them really badly.

I'm no stiff. I can always turn the other cheek.

Reinboom
2008-05-30, 02:33 AM
Since I'll be in Utah shortly prior, you could split a bus ride with me. You'd have to find your own way back though.

This would be tempting. Timing defines everything, however. And buses are a pain.

SilentNight
2008-05-30, 08:23 AM

I suppose I should buy some funny clothes and start working my six-pack then.:smalltongue:

All the activites sound good as long as people can teach me what the hell I'm doing (though to be honest, sometimes its more fun to just make it up as I go along).
Amen to that.:smallbiggrin:

Felixaar
2008-05-31, 06:14 AM
Sweetie (or Reiney, I'm still deciding on a nickname), I have a long history of sorting out bus rides and plane tickets for my friends. you just leave it to me.

Joe, no, I just hope your head is a giant eyeball.

Makin' stuff up, as I go along, da da da da dunn, da da da da dunn.

For the matter, during gaming, I can provide dramatic theme music (whistling).

Poison_Fish
2008-05-31, 02:16 PM
I know this is me in my sleep induced confusion, but what was the plan again?

ikrase
2008-05-31, 03:05 PM
THis sounds interesting, i live in North Bay but there is the parent paranoia prolblem, not that it isnt stupid. I am interested to actually play a real DnD game...

. Dont know if i can find chainmail and two flaming longswords, lol. :smallbiggrin:
I have a charsheet for a character that gets 6 attacks, 2d8+2 damage, and not a bad BAB. Kinda overpowered. THats my avatar.

averagejoe
2008-06-01, 01:55 AM
THis sounds interesting, i live in North Bay but there is the parent paranoia prolblem, not that it isnt stupid. I am interested to actually play a real DnD game...

Nah, it's perfectly rational. Just keep in mind that we will be meeting in a public place.

Icewalker
2008-06-01, 02:09 AM
With regard to a dnd game, more time is always useful...

Hmm...actually...If we do it at the right time...

There is a guy in Berkeley who runs a dnd camp kind of deal. It's at a small cafe near where I live. For the after school one, people come once every 2 weeks, 4 hours, to continue the year long adventure. 1st edition. During the summer he does week long ones where you go for most of the day. It costs a bit of money.

He also occasionally does single day adventures, usually as a bonus thrown out if he has to cancel one of the after school sessions or some such, sometimes as a birthday adventure...

I think it might be possible to have him run us a game, as he is also the only person around I'd expect could run a significant (and AWESOME) adventure in one afternoon.

As a side note, best DM ever.

It would probably cost some money, but probably not much. The afterschool thing is $75 a month at 2-3 four hour meetings each month, which is more time than we'd have for an afternoon one.

SilentNight
2008-06-01, 02:28 PM
With regard to a dnd game, more time is always useful...

Hmm...actually...If we do it at the right time...

There is a guy in Berkeley who runs a dnd camp kind of deal. It's at a small cafe near where I live. For the after school one, people come once every 2 weeks, 4 hours, to continue the year long adventure. 1st edition. During the summer he does week long ones where you go for most of the day. It costs a bit of money.

He also occasionally does single day adventures, usually as a bonus thrown out if he has to cancel one of the after school sessions or some such, sometimes as a birthday adventure...

I think it might be possible to have him run us a game, as he is also the only person around I'd expect could run a significant (and AWESOME) adventure in one afternoon.

As a side note, best DM ever.

It would probably cost some money, but probably not much. The afterschool thing is $75 a month at 2-3 four hour meetings each month, which is more time than we'd have for an afternoon one.

That sounds cool if we can all get the cash.

I just found out that I might be out of town on the 16th so I'm throwing out the 23rd as another possibility. How's that sound to everybody?

Poison_Fish
2008-06-01, 05:51 PM
Sounds like the roleplay workshop (http://www.roleplay-workshop.com/), except with D&D.

Icewalker
2008-06-01, 08:03 PM
The way he runs things, because it is usually the same people coming, is with the same characters all the time. His large world is very centralized, so upon determining what characters will be in the game he manages to set up circumstances to bring them all together.

Because it takes so long to make characters, we'll probably use already existing ones. There are a lot of em...

A few notes:

1st edition
Pretty high power...lots of really powerful items and enemies, but well used.
Large parties, so it is ok that there will be like 10 of us. Our group right now is something like 14.

Felixaar
2008-06-01, 11:42 PM
23rd would be cool with me, as long as we have it settled atleast a few weeks in advance so I can arrive on time.

averagejoe
2008-06-03, 01:19 PM
I just found out that I might be out of town on the 16th so I'm throwing out the 23rd as another possibility. How's that sound to everybody?

That should be fine for me, although school might be started by then.

Felixaar
2008-06-06, 08:17 AM
hmm. that could be trouble. not for me, but, y'kno, others.

...okay, yeah, this was a shameless bump.

SilentNight
2008-06-07, 06:24 PM
Just a quick poll.

1.Should we do name tags?
2.If yes, should we use our usernames or our real names and have people try to guess?

averagejoe
2008-06-11, 01:44 PM
1. Call me old fashoned, but I'd like to do it the old fashoned way. (i.e. introducing ourselves)
2. I don't have a strong preference, but I would like to note that I'd have trouble calling anyone "Felixaar" with a straight face.

On the same vein, would it be a good idea for some of us locals to meet beforehand, just to reduce the potential craziness?

Icewalker
2008-06-11, 03:49 PM
Might not be a bad plan.

Pocketa
2008-06-11, 04:00 PM
1. Introductions and tags. Some people forget names quickly.You might not want strangers knowing your real name (i.e. non-GitP people that are in the vincinity) though.

2. Whatever you're comfortable with. I have multiple personas/screennames, and my LARPing buds greet me on the street with my persona name and my real name. It's just an online nickname, but it's also much more.

I support the meet-up. Somewhere public, safety and all.

averagejoe
2008-06-11, 07:09 PM
Some people forget names quickly.

That's half the fun, though; realizing you forgot someone's name and trying to play it cool when you need to get their attention adds spice to any otherwise boring social event. (Incidentally, I not only forget names quickly, but multiple times, so I tend to be quick to forgive on this.) The fact that it's in public is what makes me wary of name tags, however.

Pocketa
2008-06-11, 07:23 PM
That's half the fun, though; realizing you forgot someone's name and trying to play it cool when you need to get their attention adds spice to any otherwise boring social event. (Incidentally, I not only forget names quickly, but multiple times, so I tend to be quick to forgive on this.) The fact that it's in public is what makes me wary of name tags, however.

Especially in Berkeley. Last thing we need are more crazies.

SilentNight
2008-06-11, 07:39 PM
Especially in Berkeley. Last thing we need are more crazies.

Good point.:smallbiggrin: No name tags it is.

Icewalker
2008-06-13, 03:52 AM
I talked to Jon about running us this game. He's done similar things before, one afternoon games. Last time he said it was $150 total, so split between everyone coming that'll be pretty cheap.

Felixaar
2008-06-13, 06:09 AM
He's not going to be annoyed if some of us have no idea as far as DnD goes, is he?

Also, I'd have to say no to nametags - its' more fun if we're all just generally hanging out.

And most people just call me Felix, for that matter.

Icewalker
2008-06-13, 05:03 PM
As long as you know the general idea of what it is. Also, preferably, how it's played. That doesn't mean the rules, so much as generally how it is done, you know?

Also, he runs 1st edition, so I'm guessing nobody here will know the rules anyways.

Felixaar
2008-06-16, 07:17 AM
*nods* I get what you mean. I've played the occasion computerised DnD but its always a bummer cause you suceed or fail but dont know why because you dont know how the dice rolls work - I.E., I know how to roleplay and fight a battle, but I dont know how to actually work out what happens.

SilentNight
2008-06-18, 09:46 AM
So if everyone who's said they'll come comes, we're looking at about 9-12 people which comes out to about $10-$15 per person. Sounds good to me.

Icewalker
2008-06-19, 12:46 AM
*nods* I get what you mean. I've played the occasion computerised DnD but its always a bummer cause you suceed or fail but dont know why because you dont know how the dice rolls work - I.E., I know how to roleplay and fight a battle, but I dont know how to actually work out what happens.

Yeah, that's all you'll need. He rolls most of the dice anyways.

Felixaar
2008-06-19, 05:39 AM
Sweet. I'd be more than happy to kick in my share, especially since it's old school first edition stuff.

Pocketa
2008-06-19, 10:36 AM
How long does the average game take?

Icewalker
2008-06-20, 10:55 AM
Probably at least 4 hours.

averagejoe
2008-06-24, 01:20 PM
About what time? Do we want to do something after?

SilentNight
2008-07-05, 07:10 PM
Well, I'm back for the weekend to fence nationals but then I'm gone for another week. I'd be down to do something afterwards or before, Arinells is close by. Or there's the aforementioned Apples to Apples.

Since the date is fast approaching, a brief recap.
To my knowledge we'll be meeting at this cafe on August 23rd, which I among others will need directions to. We'll be playing an awesome first edition session, after which we may or may not do something else which may or may not involve food.
What we don't know is what time and what, if anything, to do before and after. I'd also be glad to meet with the other locals ahead of time to figure things out. Any other takers?

averagejoe
2008-07-06, 01:03 PM
Any other takers?

Yes. I'll be gone for a week later this month, though.

Pocketa
2008-07-08, 11:46 PM
I'm going to Burning Man, and I'll have classes till around 5pm every day before that, basically, so something in the evening would be nice.

averagejoe
2008-07-09, 02:29 AM
I'm going to Burning Man, and I'll have classes till around 5pm every day before that, basically, so something in the evening would be nice.

When is burning man?

Evening works well for me.

Pocketa
2008-07-09, 02:30 AM
August 25 through September 1st, all week, all day.

SilentNight
2008-07-20, 01:13 PM
Wait, evening for the ahead of time meeting or for the session? Either way I should be able to come. Evening actually works great for the meetup for me since I just found out I have a band audition that day, first come first served from 10 to 9, so I will probably still be there but you never know. Anyone want to suggest an exact time for the meetup and or the ahead-of-time meet?

averagejoe
2008-07-21, 06:53 PM
Meeting up beforehand might be tricky for me at this point, since I'm not going to be in town until august first or second. Still, it's workable.

Felixaar
2008-07-23, 01:36 PM
So we're all agreed on August 23rd? Sweet. I'm voting some sort of pizza-party afterwards, or perhaps the killer burritto's that San Fran is so famous for. Or we could go hang out at the mall, play role reversal and gang up on/exlude the cool kids from our tightly knit, nerdly clique.

Just to confirm, Joe, I CAN stay with you a few nights? I dont eat much, and though I smell, you're a guy so you'll live.

Probably.

averagejoe
2008-07-23, 01:40 PM
Yeah, no worries, just as long as it isn't for too long. I can't offer either style or comfort, however.

SilentNight
2008-07-24, 09:50 AM
Yeah, as long as this cafe is relatively near Shattuck there's a pizza joint called Arinell close by. It's pretty small but the pizza is amazing. If we can nail down a time, late afternoon would work great for me.

Felixaar
2008-07-25, 10:35 AM
Yeah, no worries, just as long as it isn't for too long. I can't offer either style or comfort, however.

Dude, I'm currently sleeping in a single bed with mattres 99% composed of springs, and the room its in is just big enough to house the bed and my luggage. Sadly to say, this is the best accomodation I've had so far. I'll take the floor, seriously. How long is too long, btw? I was only thinking two maybe three nights (depends on train time tables), I got people to do and things to see in Oregon shortly after the meet up.

Also, hurrah, Pizza! It's like, my diet now.

Pocketa
2008-07-26, 01:20 AM
I might be out...I have to pack for Burning Man, go down to meet my mom's friend, etc.

I have lots of opps for DnD during the year (too many) and only 1 for Burning Man...

averagejoe
2008-07-26, 02:23 AM
Dude, I'm currently sleeping in a single bed with mattres 99% composed of springs, and the room its in is just big enough to house the bed and my luggage. Sadly to say, this is the best accomodation I've had so far. I'll take the floor, seriously. How long is too long, btw? I was only thinking two maybe three nights (depends on train time tables), I got people to do and things to see in Oregon shortly after the meet up.

That's probably fine. It would be best for me to know specific dates as soon as you can give me them, however.

Felixaar
2008-07-26, 09:28 PM
our meet up is 23rd, yes, so i'll probably arrive on the 22nd, and stay the nights of the 22nd, 23rd and 24th, leaving via train on the 25th.

And - though I wouldnt dare deterr you from Burning Man, which I assume is some sort of festival where you set people on fire - it'd be really cool if you could come, Pock's, cause so far our meetup is pretty lacking in the female gender.

Poison_Fish
2008-07-31, 04:21 AM
I might be out...I have to pack for Burning Man, go down to meet my mom's friend, etc.

I have lots of opps for DnD during the year (too many) and only 1 for Burning Man...

My twin sister is going to burning man. She tried to convince me to go, but, eh, I just don't feel the spirit of burning things. That and i'm not much of an artist. So, the earlier part of the week, which I hear is the best part, I wouldn't be able to appreciate as much as her friends. It's a maybe for me next year (But then, so is PAX, oh gawds, the choices)

A note on the 23rd, I may not be able to make it, as I'm returning from a wedding around the same time, I'll see what I can do though.

TFT
2008-07-31, 04:38 AM
You guys should have done it ealier... I am up in the nothern area until about the 14th. Oh well, you guys have fun, maybe next time.

averagejoe
2008-08-01, 11:55 PM
our meet up is 23rd, yes, so i'll probably arrive on the 22nd, and stay the nights of the 22nd, 23rd and 24th, leaving via train on the 25th.

Alright, that should be fine, though the 22nd may be a tricky date for me. Without knowing much specific, it might be more convenient for me if you arrive on the 23rd, but I'll for sure be able to put you up either way.

SilentNight
2008-08-02, 01:23 AM
Well, we seem to be at an impass folks. Icewalker is our contact for the session and the only one who knows where it is. Since he's gone until who knows when, should we come up with a contingency plan?

averagejoe
2008-08-02, 02:44 AM
Well, we seem to be at an impass folks. Icewalker is our contact for the session and the only one who knows where it is. Since he's gone until who knows when, should we come up with a contingency plan?

Well, our contingency plan would probably just be our original plan. I'm not even sure that we'd have enough people at this point to make his original suggestion worthwhile, though I may be wrong on that.

SilentNight
2008-08-02, 09:37 AM
Well, our contingency plan would probably just be our original plan. I'm not even sure that we'd have enough people at this point to make his original suggestion worthwhile, though I may be wrong on that.

Which was what? Apples to Apples a eudemonia? Sounds good.

Felixaar
2008-08-02, 08:42 PM
I'm in. If 22nd becomes a problem send me a PM.

SilentNight
2008-08-03, 01:10 AM
I'm in. If 22nd becomes a problem send me a PM.

I thought it was the 23rd but come to think of it that might work better for me.

averagejoe
2008-08-03, 02:26 AM
I thought it was the 23rd but come to think of it that might work better for me.

No, he's referring to when he'll be in town.

SilentNight
2008-08-03, 09:44 AM
No, he's referring to when he'll be in town.

Oh....:smallredface:

Icewalker
2008-08-07, 04:27 PM
Ok...I'm back.

We've been semi-stalled for a while, so my being gone wasn't significantly worrying me, but that was unfounded. Sorry.

So, I'll contact Jon to find out if he's in town 23rd, which he may not be. He works in Berkeley, but spends any long periods of time where he isn't here in Washington with his girlfriend.

I'm actually still in Hawaii, although now I have internet. I'll be back on the 15th, so no worries about missing it or anything. 23rd is a Saturday, correct? That should be good.

Cafe Roma is pretty far from Shattuck, but there is a small row of shops just across the street from it, which is where we eat when we have lunch during it. There's a pizza place, and an alright Chinese place. The cafe itself also has good food, but it's pretty expensive.

As to the game...I'm not sure I can get access to Jon's phone number while I'm still in Hawaii, so I may have to contact him rather last minute, ie he may not be able to do it and we should have our secondary plan set up now, so there aren't any last minute revisions of plans necessary.

So far our backup plan is hanging out at Eudemonia/Games of Berkeley, right?

Pocketa
2008-08-07, 04:34 PM
I may go, I may not.

I've been confirmed for Brawl Thunderdome.

I mean, basically the same thing, right?

(reference: Death Guild, it's a goth club in SF, they go to Burning Man every year, running a Thunderdome: geodesic dome made of metal people climb on like a big monkey bar playground hemisphere thing, and they put two(?) competitors on bungie cords and give them soft boffer weapons to fight with)

(basically, I'm going to Burning Man, I'll be by the Magic Camp, and my mom knows one of the head(?) lamplighters, and I'll be delivering coffee (JAVA ROYALTY))

(tl;dr Burning Man)

(tealdearbrc)

EDIT: I didn't feel like actually editing it, but anyways.

I leave the MONDAY right after.

WOO I'm in.

Could I get a ride with somebody? From like, North Berkeley?

Also, need I bring anything?

REFERENCE FOR ME:

I'm the steampunk thing.

Felixaar
2008-08-07, 08:15 PM
Yay, another confirmation (though the post was a bit zany). I'm lookin' forward to this.

Pocketa
2008-08-07, 08:38 PM
Wait, what time is it again?

See, there's a school picnic that day.

BHS is split into small schools, mine has a picnic.

But it's most likely at the school.

So I'll be near Eudemonia.

I.e. I could even walk from there.

So ride no longer needed!

Somebody bring an MTG deck, please.

But not white or blue, white and blue vs white OR blue is not that fun.

Icewalker
2008-08-08, 01:13 AM
So you may miss it then if Jon can run the game, but if he can't then you can hang out with everyone at Eudemonia/Games of Berkeley?

Good news, by the way: I do have his phone number here, so I'll call tomorrow and find out if he can do it.

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 01:26 AM
No, the School for Sausages, Juicy and Edible, did not say whether it will most definitely happen that day, but the picnic on campus would be around 11-1, but maybe even early as 10:30. It's really for my sister though, because she'll be the new person to the small school. I just gotta drop a dish off, make an appearance, sign up for the spam lists, and solve world hunger before I leave them.

(btw, reference, SSJE is sort of like the word sausage, hence the in-joke between school members)

What time would this be again though? I'm really tired, it's really late, and I, for one, am in the Bay-A.

Would anyone be willing to pick somebody up from BHS? :smalltongue:

I could just walk, or make my mom drive...

oh no, 5 blocks, how ever could I survive.

EDIT:

1. Any other high schools gonna be present?
2. Anyone else from the Hive (BHS) gonna be representin'?
3. Couldn't I hang out anyway if I got there late? Or is this a DnD meetup, not a social meetup?

Icewalker
2008-08-08, 03:31 AM
3 is the main thing being discussed. If Jon can't make it to run us the game, it'll be a social meetup up on shattuck over the course of the day and you can show up whenever, but if we do get a game, it may well start earlier than 10:30 and everyone will need to be there the whole time. It's also pretty far from BHS: you could walk, but it'd probably be 45 minutes or so.

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 03:45 AM
Okay, I think doing a game and all is pretty big for a first meet up. I would understand if this was a group of friends that knew each other ahead of time. If tabletops are anything like other things I've been involved in (classes, clubs, sports, cliques, etc.), it really depends on if the people involved are compatible. We don't know each other's style: maybe one person is a rule-stickler, one person likes to double-cross alot and mess everything up, and another person likes to roleplay. In some situations, that can be good, but the thing is, I wouldn't recommend it unless we knew each other ahead of time, else we're all just putting money into something that's going to end up with...being wasted money.

It's a meetup.

DnD is kinda big for a meetup.

Like.

Pretty big.

As this is the first meetup (hopefully of many to come in the future) and I hope to meet you all (especially Icewalker, he seems very chatty on the forums, wonder if he is IRL) and have time to talk, not just play (BLASPHEMY! they cry) I am changing my vote to against the DnD plan.

\as a veteran Meetup'er for GitP'ers, I may be able to offer some assistance!

What to do...

Since you're not looking at a weekender, don't limit yourself to running a D&D or other role play game. One-off's can be fun, but try to find something that will let people hang out and be themselves.

Try to have it in some place that won't mind if you get a little loud, since you're going to be having fun and you don't want it to be stifled (sounds like you've got this under control).

Figure out what kinds of other games you all like to play and what everyone has and can bring. Some popular ones for the meetups I've attended are Apples to Apples, Curses, and Munchkin (or any of it's variants). These games have the advantage of not really having an upper limit to the number that can play. If prodded, I'm sure some others can make some other suggestions (I'm looking at you, LLama). :smallcool:

Depending on the number of people you've got coming, some newer ones I've run across that were fun are Hex Hex (3-6 players) and Bang! (3-8 players depending on which expansions you have), and I've heard really good things about Last Night on Earth, though I've never played that one in particular.

And don't forget the standard "party" games like charades. Here is a link (http://www.bluepineapple.com/partygames/) with some other ideas, but the 'net is full of them.

And don't forget, this is most important, tell the rest of us how much fun you had! (and pictures or it didn't happen :smallcool: )

tl;dr against DnD plan because:

*Expensive
*Not drop-in friendly
*Time consuming
*Requires dedication
*Not as social an event as just sitting around talking

Somebody bring an MTG deck! Or a PSP. Or a DS. Or a GBA. Or a puppy.

EDIT: No offense, Icewalker, but your estimate was totally extremely way off. Or else you have been deeply misinformed by your sources. I have a group of friends that walks their every Friday from the school, and I never thought it took 45 minutes, but I went online to check (time flies when one has fun!)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=eudemonia&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl

It's basically 5 blocks. The shorter-length blocks are the unit I'm using. It'll take me maximum 15 minutes to get there. I'd say 7, but I'm not even sure. But I walked a mile in 10 minutes before, so...yeah...poor estimate. EDIT 2 WITHIN EDIT: Google says 8, but that assumes I follow traffic signals. :smallyuk:

Also, hours we're thinking of meeting up? I need to know when to get up.

SilentNight
2008-08-08, 09:44 AM
I could probably dig up my old MTG cards, I haven't played in a while though. Sorry, no BHS but I'll be representin' ECHS (El Cerrito). Like I said, I've got an audition on Shattuck somewhere between 10am and 9pm so I don't know when I'll be showing up. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Felixaar
2008-08-08, 10:01 AM
Hmm, I left my MTG cards back in Australia... I can bring a PSP tho :smallamused:

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 10:22 AM
No love for the puppies?!

LOL, it's just, handheld consoles: easy, casual, no dedication. Same with M:TG stuff. Hopefully, we won't have to play though!

averagejoe
2008-08-08, 01:14 PM
Somebody bring an MTG deck, please.

But not white or blue, white and blue vs white OR blue is not that fun.

I haven't played in awhile, but I think I could dig out one or two of my old decks.

I'm actually inclined to agree with Pocketa about the DnD thing, just to throw in my two cents.

Just to start the time discussion, I'm going to say around noon. Does this not work for anyone? Is it a bad idea? Am I completely mad?

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 03:00 PM
Noon'd be great, I'd sugest people bring:

Real food, because the surrounding places (exc. Walgreens, Longs, and the like) are mostly expensive and Eudemonia doesn't sell 'real' food (sammiches, nachos, etc.) IMHO.
Water, or any other drinks you'd like, they're probably not allowed near the computers, but they do have drinks, it's just, why waste the money?
Change, preferably quarters and the like, in case one would like to purchase candy or something from the vending machinese. About $7 in change would be overkill in itself, but it depends on the person.
If you are looking to get materials, books, etc., cash is a must. I don't know where the closest ATMs are.
Something to do if you are the first person there (nobody likes to sit around and do nothing, unless you're a bureaucrat).
Cell phone, if you have it, because it sucks to use payphones and I don't know where the closest ones are.
If you are a minor, 80 cents, exact change, for the bus.

DnD is just sort of high maintenance, and a game of MTG is faster, easier to clean up, etc.

Noon is okay with me, the potluck/picnic was not announced formally yet, but the date was, but I just have to make an appearance. I'm sort of a big deal. I can probably get a ride, but if another local (I see Icewalker's location is listed as Berkeley, or I remember it might've been before) could pick me, up, I'd meet them anywhere on the BHS block.

Hope to see all-a-y'all cuties there!

averagejoe
2008-08-08, 03:14 PM
If you are looking to get materials, books, etc., cash is a must. I don't know where the closest ATMs are.

There is a Wells Fargo, Bank of America, and Washington Mutual (I believe) pretty close by.

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 03:53 PM
Oh no, I was proven wrong! Thankfully.

I thought I'd seen ATM's near the bus stop (or vice-versa) but I wasn't that sure. Thanks for checking.

I'm just bringing $10 as an emergency fund.

When do we all want to call it quits?

Icewalker
2008-08-08, 04:04 PM
Bus money is 85 cents...

We should figure out whether we want to run a game or not as soon as possible. I do have access to his phone number here, so I can call him as soon as we decide if I need to.

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 05:11 PM
Seeing as you aren't on as often anymore, perhaps an older member ought to be PM'd the number/info/what to say to John, less long distance charges and whatnot, if you are in Hawaii still?

I'm out for DnD, it's just not a socializing event. Scratch the PSP and MTG idea as well, I have a slim PSP so I am unsure if it works with the fat PSP's (sizism!) and my one good deck is somewhere in my room...

Like, the thing is, there's different...types(?)...of tabletoppers. Personally, I'm a stick jock (Amtgard reference here), so I'm into leveling up, getting EXP, that sort of thing. I follow whichever storyline gets me there the fastest, not necessarily the 'correct', 'best', or 'funnest' path. (Pimp Alliance: We fight for the Horde! <I hope somebody got the subreferences>) but also, my only exp. with DnD was a small group that a friend ran that I never showed up for (we were all b/w the ages of 13-15, friend was oldest, the DM) and other than that, I really don't like doing the dice and everything and looking the stats up, which one needn't do in NWN.

(hope I'm not double-posting, my internet is being tres wonktastic as of...oh...the last year...:smallconfused:)

Icewalker
2008-08-08, 05:16 PM
Nah, I'm still on regularly. No worries with that.

Fair enough on the different kinds of people. We have a lot of different kinds of players, and as long as people aren't the kind of player who intentionally derail the plot because they can, there probably won't be many problems.

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 05:35 PM
Icewalker:

Explain your current situation. Are you back in Cali and able to email constantly, etc., or are you still in the islands, and what is the internet schedule for you over there so that I don't have to log on all the time to check this thread?
The whole DnD idea most likely will. not. work. I don't know who is still currently interested, but as of recent, the count is 2 against (me and the other guy) and 1 for (you). It's a meetup, not a DnD game. The point was to meet locals that go on GitP in the area, and doing DnD isn't really going to introduce us to one another. Yes, there's the "well, my persona and I are the same persn basically" arguement, but that's really not true in any case that I've ever seen where a person is normal (they don't live as Sir Drackenheimmer, Lord of the Dwarven Lizard Folk) and good roleplayers (i.e. have realistic characters that are still their own individuals). And if somebody does "live" as their persona or has their persona basically be their clone, they're the same person in either realm, so why pay money to meet somebody's character?
I'd say I'm sorry, but I'm not a liar, but I don't like the sounds of your DM that much. Dungeons and Dragons is supposed to be open. I.e. I can choose what to do (not necessarily the result), it's a non-linear game. Your DM sounds to be pretty linear, so basically, its like I'm paying to play Final Fantasy X, slowly, for an afternoon.

</rant>

I addressed this to you, Icewalker, as you and I are the only ones currently posting and you are the one in-charge of the DnD setup.

Icewalker
2008-08-08, 05:55 PM
Fair enough. I'm still in Hawaii but I have fine internet access, so no limitations on my posting or calling him or any such thing.

All dnd games are pretty linear, the difference is that when you have a good DM you aren't forced into doing anything: the railroad tracks are placed so that regardless of your actions you never bump into them because they fit exactly where you freely decide to go.

Regardless of how good the DM is though, or how open they are, the DM has to make an adventure, and a determined player can throw it out if he wants to be antagonistic. That's always problematic, and reasonably so.

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 06:40 PM
Now I really don't want to do DnD.

2 against
1 for

So far, againt is winning.

Also, $15/person/game?

That's pricy. That's like, 2 used games at Gamestop.

1/10 of my Amazin Amazon Gift Card.

Felixaar
2008-08-08, 07:49 PM
Hmm. To be honest I have to agree with Pock's here - though she seems to have gone slightly insane - moreso - because while I think a game of DnD would actually be cool it's going to leave us with basically no time to do anything else, especially if we have people like me fumbling around to start with for the first few hours, double especially if we're only starting at noon.

Pocketa
2008-08-08, 08:16 PM
Insane? How so?

That's 3 against, 1 for, so far.

SilentNight
2008-08-09, 12:18 AM
I'm easy, either way is cool with me. Umm, I think I've got the big crate of apples to apples if you guys want to do that. Yeah, noon will probably work for me but like I said I really have no idea. I think I have two or three MTG decks somewhere so I could bring all of them and people ccould borrow.

Icewalker
2008-08-09, 04:51 AM
The lack of time is a good point, as this is being made out as a single day meet up that would take most of it. So I guess we're going to give up on that for now and just meet up and hang out at Eudemonia/GoB for the day? No definite schedule then either, people can drop in and out over the course of the day.

Felixaar
2008-08-09, 06:41 AM
I like it. I haven't played apples to apples before, I assume we just throw apples at eachother for an unspecified period of time?

And I dunno, your post's just seem... different. Like your panicky or writing them in a rush or something.

SilentNight
2008-08-09, 09:25 AM
I like it. I haven't played apples to apples before, I assume we just throw apples at eachother for an unspecified period of time?

And I dunno, your post's just seem... different. Like your panicky or writing them in a rush or something.

I concur. Anyway, apples to apples is a card party game. You'll learn more later.

Pocketa
2008-08-09, 02:30 PM
@ Felixaar: PMS, and general stuff going on in my life is pretty stressful (i.e. all my friends are gone and I don't see them till our potluck, which is the SAME DAY as this meetup)

So, it's settled, all we need to figure out is the time constraints!

SilentNight
2008-08-09, 05:35 PM
@ Felixaar: PMS, and general stuff going on in my life is pretty stressful (i.e. all my friends are gone and I don't see them till our potluck, which is the SAME DAY as this meetup)

Yeah, out of town friends sucks majorly. Less so when you're the out of town friend. :smalltongue:

Pocketa
2008-08-09, 06:08 PM
Well, also, there was a hidden folder on my computer, containing 3gb worth of files (33692 files in total) that were all pirated software, films, and music, that scared me really badly and I'm having trouble deleting (I have to delete them in lots of 100, no bigger or it won't work) and I'm stressing over that.

If anybody going goes to BHS, please PM me, because I need to figure out if we'll pretend we don't know each other or what.

SilentNight
2008-08-09, 07:26 PM
Oy vey, that kind of sucks. Good luck with that. See you all in two weeks.

Pocketa
2008-08-09, 07:40 PM
Peace out.

Just make sure to check this thread ever so often to see when we're actually going to meetup, time-wise.

SilentNight
2008-08-09, 11:56 PM
Duly noted, will do. Be happy y'all.

Felixaar
2008-08-10, 06:29 PM
Pocks, okay. Sorry if insighted any insultory mood, I didn't mean too. Hope the situation improves and ofcourse if you ever wanna talk about junk my PM box is open - an offer extended to anyone in the playground really.

Can we throw apples at people anyway?

So far our attendees seem to be...
Felixaar (Me, duh)
Averagejoe
SilentNight (who's going to inspire me to sing Christmas carols)
Pocketa
Icewalker

am I missing anyone?

also for times I'm thinking Noon til Late.

SilentNight
2008-08-10, 06:33 PM
So far our attendees seem to be...
Felixaar (Me, duh)
Averagejoe
SilentNight (who's going to inspire me to sing Christmas carols)
Pocketa
Icewalker

am I missing anyone?

also for times I'm thinking Noon til Late.
Doesn't look like it. That's kind of sparse but oh well. Anyone want to volunteer to be the official picture person? I don't gots a camera.

Can we throw apples at people anyway?
Oh god I wish it were so. It might get us kicked out though. Assuming we don't get kicked out before that for singing O' Tannenbaum in five part harmony. :smallwink:

Felixaar
2008-08-10, 06:59 PM
Five people is a little sparse I suppose but on the other hand it lets us remain inconspicuous, and, for a one-day only meeting means we wont get too damn confused.

Also, hee hee hee.

SilentNight
2008-08-10, 07:11 PM
Good point. he he he.

Pocketa
2008-08-10, 07:46 PM
@ Felix: No hard feelings, I';m just very curious about why people think the things they do. I really feel like I know you IRL though, are you sure you don't know me IRL? If you do, PM me my real name...But anyways, yeah, basically:

Cramps.

PMS.

The 3gb of files that I didn't download that scared me really badly.

The fact that my best friend was gone for almost a month, didn't email me or log in to anything (facebook, etc.) in that time, really scared me (he's a big internet person) and I only just recently found out that he is indeed okay.

The fact I won't see him until the day of the potluck, which is the same day as this meetup.

The fact that all my friends aren't exactlly out of town, they live in other towns. I'm part of a close-knit group of friends that really cares about each other, but none of us live within even 5 miles of each other, and few of us have cars, and most of us (including me) have jobs.

The fact I don't see them until the potluck

The fact that somebody I know is going to the meetup, but he hasn't responded to email or anything, so I'm not sure if he actually is going, and I can't PM him as I don't know his username, but we might want to coordinate whether we'll pretend to know each other or not.

Actually, nevermind. If you go to BHS, you know me, that's it, don't pretend, that's shallow, and I'll call you out on it. This is a Public Service Announcement, because you guys know who you are.

I have Burning Man coming up, and I haven't even started packing. Luckily, my mom is pretty much in charge of that.

Late: I'm assuming around 6pm? If that's the case, we could all pitch in for a pizza or something, I don't know. I don't eat anymore though. Not anorexia, although I would like to be thinner, but I've just been less hungry lately, but I've lost a ridiculous amount of weight...

Also.

For people that have never been to Eudemonia:

Eudemonia has a small store front. You'll enter, and there'll be the store in the front, with DnD, WH40k, MTG, etc. materials for sale, along with food. In the middle, there's the gaming parlor, which I think is about $6/hour, plus sign-up fee, and in the way back, there are tables and chairs. If you are somebody that hates to sit on those metal folding chairs, I suggest you bring a cushion. I'm serious, it kind of hurts to sit on them for long periods of time, so I'll have a cushion, if I remember.

They have candy, power bards, trail mix, possibly energy drinks, and other snacks in the front, but there are vending machines at the far back, which have soda and maybe water. I remember getting the soda in a can. The bathrooms are way back, and there is also a shelf of public games for people to use. If people are interested in that, we could use that as a back-up plan. It's a collection of used games, I believe they're all casual, but I'm not sure if they'll contain all their parts.:smalltongue:

I would describe myself, but basically, I'll be the girl. :smallwink:

Sadly, the women's room look like it's been used maybe once a year. And it was me last year.:smallfrown:

No, I jest, but the girl that isn't an employee is me. You two, BHS, you know me, don't pretend not to, or I will call you out. :smallfurious:

But just in case there are more women that day:

I look like my avatar.
I'll have a soundtrack.
I'll have the red PSP.
I'll probably look steampunk.
I'll most likely look like I have a red sash. It's the strap for a shoulder-sling bag, but it'll look like a sash from before. Or a messenger bag.

So if my friends don't show, and I don't recognize you guys, you can recognize me.

EDIT:

I just realized something.

me+2 friends that are going=3.

So basically, it's just me and my friends meeting up with 2 other people.

More people need to get in on this!

SilentNight
2008-08-10, 08:23 PM
I just realized something.

me+2 friends that are going=3.

So basically, it's just me and my friends meeting up with 2 other people.

More people need to get in on this!

I'm confused, are your friends that are coming playgrounders or no?
Anyway, for recognizing me. One of you will recognize me on sight, you know who you are (and it's not you Pocks, sorry :smalltongue:). For the rest of you, there will probably be a large black trombone case somewhere near me. Actually, I'll just bring my Canada hat. Just look for the guy with the maple leaf on his head. that's all you need to know. :smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2008-08-10, 08:30 PM
One other person to add to the list probably. He doesn't really do anything on the forums, but I got him to make an account for my pbp game a while ago, so he counts. He probably doesn't know about the thread though, I'll talk to him.

Felixaar
2008-08-10, 08:58 PM
Pocks - or Pox, which do you prefer - I'm almost certain I dont know you real life since you live in place I've never even come within a few thousand miles of till now. Ofcourse, if you used to live in Australia... but, anyway, who knows. Take Nurofen for cramps and PMS (if you have Nurofen in the states).

I'm basically saying Late as just a general "we go till we can't go no more", so if that ends up as some sort of pizza party then I'll be well pleased.

Recognising me will be pretty simple - though some things I want to leave as suprise till you see me the first time :smallwink: but I'll be wearing my "FELIX" shirt, so not only will you know I'm a playgrounder, you'll know which one! and wont have any excuse to forget either. I'm also a 17-y-o male so that narrows things down, well, a little.

I might carry a sign, too, like "Playground Meetup" or some sort of secret code that is inconspicuous to everyone else but makes sense to us playgrounders (idea?)

I'll bring my PSP too so we can find out if they are compatible :smallwink: I kid, I kid. Got any decent games?

And I think we're agreed that whoever has them should bring their MTG decks?

SilentNight
2008-08-10, 09:18 PM
Duly noted. I'll bring however many decks I can find. I think I've got a blue/green, a white and maybe a zombie. Late sounds awesome seeing as how we've only got one day.

But yeah, we've got a 17-year-old in a Felix shirt, a 15-y-o in a maple leaf and a steam punk. shouldn't be too hard to find. I don't think we really need a code. :smallbiggrin:
Should be fun.

Felixaar
2008-08-10, 09:30 PM
Alright! We'll single off non-nerdy cool kids and slowly corrupt them into geeks. Bahahahahaha!

I kid, I kid, we'll just stick to the aforementioned apple-throwing plan.

Pocketa
2008-08-10, 09:43 PM
Alright! We'll single off non-nerdy cool kids and slowly corrupt them into geeks. Bahahahahaha!

But but but.

I liked being the Homecoming Duchess!

(I swear, that's what the freshman royalty was, and I actually got 2nd place, but it was because the first place person ripped away my posters)

I got to ride around the football field in a mustang!

SilentNight
2008-08-10, 09:45 PM

Will do. And remember there's a difference between a nerd and a geek. Geeks are cooler. I'll be sure to pick some up.

EDIT: @Pocks: Sweet. I'm kind of with you there. Recently I've been moving up the social ladder as well. Not to keen on giving that up.

Felixaar
2008-08-10, 09:58 PM
I WAS just kidding. I personally couldn't care less about my social rankings but I'll try to act relatively normal to preserve y'alls :smallwink: naaaawt.

Pocketa
2008-08-10, 10:16 PM
I will bring my deck! Only one though, I've had bad luck losing them. I lost 3 in one day once, before I got to use them back in the 7th.

PSP slim, red Kratos edition, with God of War: Chains of Olympus.

Icewalker
2008-08-10, 10:20 PM
I'm with Felix on this one. Who needs social status :smallwink:

Felixaar
2008-08-10, 10:25 PM
Hmm. Being from Australia - and not slim - I wonder how whether my PSP will connect with yours. And we can keep your decks safe, Pox... but either way.

Also, woo! yeah! *highfives Icewalker*

Pocketa
2008-08-10, 10:58 PM
Oh no!

I'm melting!

Do you know what firmware your PSP runs? Also, the PSP slim has no infrared port (so no universal remote :( ) and it can't be homebrewed (yet).

It turns out the other person I know wasn't the people I assumed they were. Although I am from NZ! (dual citizenship, my parents are split with dual custody, one lives in NZ, always has, and one lives here, and always has).

SilentNight
2008-08-11, 11:07 AM
Don't worry Pocks, we'll protect your deck with our lives. *salutes* No PSP for me sadly.

averagejoe
2008-08-11, 11:27 AM
I don't think we really need a code. :smallbiggrin:

When has need every stopped anyone? I vote for coming up with a code anyways. :smallwink:

Bill Watterson says: "Phrases like 'code blue' are cool." :smallbiggrin:

Um, I'll be the tall guy. The tall guy with long hair. Unless I decide to shave it all off by then (and I might). Then I'll be the tall guy with a shaved head.

Felixaar
2008-08-11, 01:15 PM
Hmmn, how tall is tall?

Code Playground? or maybe some sort of pun including the world play ground.

averagejoe
2008-08-11, 05:07 PM
Hmmn, how tall is tall?

Code Playground? or maybe some sort of pun including the world play ground.

6'5"-6'6". Around there.

Felixaar
2008-08-11, 08:51 PM
...tall boy. I'm a good half a foot behind you.

Pocketa
2008-08-11, 09:05 PM
EDIT: Situation neutralized.

Felixaar
2008-08-11, 09:12 PM
Don't worry Pox. Us big strong men will protect you.

To be honest, I don't know what joke I was setting up there. But it's true anyway, damned ingrained chivalry...

Pocketa
2008-08-11, 09:29 PM
Thank goodness somebody has chivalry nowadays!

Best friend, I'm reconsidering whether he is now indeed my bestie, as he has chosen to ignore me @ school for next year, but is fine with talking to me online. I'm not sure what I'll do. But, severe lack of chivalry, and he's from a 'good' family. :smallyuk:

EDIT: Silent, nvm. My friend says he knows you IRL and he doesn't think I know-you-know-you, so apparently I might know you IRL, but you don't seem to be one of the people that dislikes me IRL, else you would most likely have PM'd me.

averagejoe
2008-08-11, 10:01 PM
...tall boy.

Yeah, it's pretty much all there is to my identity. :smallbiggrin:

Thank goodness somebody has chivalry nowadays!

Well, some might call it, "A willingness to find excuses to beat people up," but, hey, tomato toh-mah-toh.

Seriously, though, I am always glad to render what help I can, and that goes to anyone, really.

Felixaar
2008-08-11, 10:09 PM
Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

I like it. Good work, Joe.

Pocketa
2008-08-11, 10:32 PM
Indeed!

I think my friend was just being mean. He's probably LYING AS ALWAYS (COUGH COUGH).

SilentNight
2008-08-12, 11:00 AM
EDIT: Silent, nvm. My friend says he knows you IRL and he doesn't think I know-you-know-you, so apparently I might know you IRL, but you don't seem to be one of the people that dislikes me IRL, else you would most likely have PM'd me. :smallconfused:
If you're talking about my response time then my apologies, I was out all day with my friend who I haven't seen in a while.

I'm totally sigging that once MIW is over. :smallbiggrin: But who do I credit? Anyway, I's be around 5'8".

averagejoe
2008-08-12, 11:18 AM
I'm totally sigging that once MIW is over. :smallbiggrin: But who do I credit? Anyway, I's be around 5'8".

Go ahead and give credit to Felix since he's the one you're actually quoting.

SilentNight
2008-08-12, 11:40 AM
Go ahead and give credit to Felix since he's the one you're actually quoting.

Will do, thanks.

Poison_Fish
2008-08-12, 12:08 PM
I... I am so confused right now. Spend 3 years away from the bay in college, and bam, you forgot old things.

So, me being slightly lazy and more so, confused, where is the primary place for the meet up?

I should be able to make it later in the day on the 23rd, though I may be tired, as I'm either coming in the day or the day before back from Seattle.

Also, I can bring a few magic decks, I've just recently got back into the game.

Felixaar
2008-08-12, 01:52 PM
Credit Joe, it's pretty easy to change who is quoted...
And after all he's the one who said it.

Now, I could be horribly wrong about this but we're meeting at a place called Eudmonia from approximately noon until we get kicked out for our raucous behaviour - ofcourse you can turn up whenever you want though. Bring those magic decks! If you need directions ask one of the other guys, they seem to know where it is.

averagejoe
2008-08-12, 03:43 PM
It's on University, about a block west (that is, away from the university) from Oxford.

SilentNight
2008-08-12, 04:33 PM
Look for the flying fish sign.

Icewalker
2008-08-12, 06:08 PM
Eudemonia, there's another e in there. Good to have another person coming.

Felixaar
2008-08-12, 07:12 PM
Ooh, I was so close.

SilentNight
2008-08-12, 10:41 PM
Credit Joe, it's pretty easy to change who is quoted...
And after all he's the one who said it.
Alright, alright.

Pocketa
2008-08-12, 10:48 PM
Edited, as the situation has been neutralized.

I would quote whoever put it as a dictionary definition.

I will bring decks.

I might not have a potluck, so I might show up early.

Rally around the girl! If she's there. But hopefully not the wrong one.

SilentNight
2008-08-12, 11:19 PM
Edited, as the situation has been neutralized.

I would quote whoever put it as a dictionary definition.

I will bring decks.

I might not have a potluck, so I might show up early.

Rally around the girl! If she's there. But hopefully not the wrong one.

*salutes* Yes saaah. Look for the leaf.

Pocketa
2008-08-12, 11:43 PM
My PSP brings all the boys to the yard,
And they're like
It's better than yours,
Right right it's better than yours,
I can teach you,
But I have to charge!

I'll try to bring varied decks if I can.

SilentNight
2008-08-14, 11:01 AM
Okay, so my audition is a 11:30. 15 minute audition, 5 minute (if that) walk to Eud. I'll definitely be there.

Pandaren
2008-08-14, 11:09 AM
Arr, a Cali meeting and its six hours North of me, arrr.

SilentNight
2008-08-14, 06:13 PM
Sorry man, ironically I'm in L.A. right now.

averagejoe
2008-08-14, 08:41 PM
Sorry man, ironically I'm in L.A. right now.

I'm so sorry. I hope you get out of there soon.

:smallwink:

Alleine
2008-08-14, 08:46 PM
Oy, wish I could come to the meetup. I'm only and hour and a half away, but don't have the gas for it. Also, convincing my parents that it isn't a bad idea to go meet a bunch of people I met online would not be easy.

Not that I think anyone on the forums recognizes me since I only stick to the gaming section 99% of the time...

SilentNight
2008-08-14, 09:05 PM
I'm so sorry. I hope you get out of there soon.

:smallwink:

Heh, it's all good, I have friends down here.

@Alleine: C'mon, we don't bite. :smalltongue: But yeah, the parent thing is a problem. The only reason I'm going is because I can BART there in about ten minutes.

Alleine
2008-08-14, 09:11 PM
C'mon, we don't bite. :smalltongue:

Says the one with the vampire avvie!

Its kinda sad since it really isn't far away at all, and with my luck the next meetup would be in a ridiculous location much further than I'd want to drive.
*sigh* Not having the trust of your parents can be a very big bummer when you're stuck living at home.

averagejoe
2008-08-14, 09:35 PM
Says the one with the vampire avvie!

To be fair, that isn't his usual avatar. I don't bite anyways. All I have is an, um, eyeball.

SilentNight
2008-08-14, 10:11 PM
Yes, normally I'm what people seem to think is a shirtless pirate, which it's not btw. :smallannoyed: Yeah, I'm actually quite lucky to have fairly trusting parents (which is probably due to the fact that I haven't done a lot of crazy stuff, none of which they know about). With any luck though the next meetup should be in the same spot.

Alleine
2008-08-14, 10:21 PM
Meeting a giant eyeball would be pretty cool. You would remind me too much of LoZ though. And I'd ask every 10 seconds if you could shoot lasers from your eye.

(which is probably due to the fact that I haven't done a lot of crazy stuff, none of which they know about)

Hmm, that's probably why. I'm not exactly a dependable guy. Why that means I'm not trustworthy, I'm not sure. And I've only really gone against their trust in a big way once recently, but as far as I know they've cooled about it.
Well, if the next meet is in the same place, or still nearby, I will do my utmost to make it there.(not that my utmost is a whole heck of a lot, in fact I don't think I've ever done it before!) Oh, and I can always be counted on to bring skittles. For future reference.

I really ought to get a skittle related avatar...

SilentNight
2008-08-14, 10:24 PM
I really ought to get a skittle related avatar...

Yes, oh yes. Well, we look forward to seeing you at some point. :smallbiggrin:

Alleine
2008-08-14, 10:29 PM
Yes, oh yes. Well, we look forward to seeing you at some point. :smallbiggrin:

Thanks! I can't wait to meet you guys.:smallsmile:

Pocketa
2008-08-14, 10:35 PM
I'm thinking the Pinata Man (skittles reference) may show up now...

Wait.

Skittles or skittles?

skittles or Skittles?

Both are nice, but they're muy dif.

SilentNight
2008-08-14, 10:36 PM
Really? how?

Alleine
2008-08-14, 10:47 PM
I'm curious too... I only know of one kind of skittle.

Icewalker
2008-08-14, 11:46 PM
Yeah, I've got the same issue with my parents. Only reconciled by the fact that out of 6 people other than me, I actually know 3 of them.

SilentNight
2008-08-15, 12:23 AM
Ah well I'm simply going to "hang out with some friends" after my audition. Which is technically true but, y'know. :smallwink:

averagejoe
2008-08-15, 01:07 AM
You guys make me feel old, with this talk of parents. I mean, I'm only in college, but still...

Alleine
2008-08-15, 01:28 AM
Well, I'm about to be in college. Got a couple days before it actually happens though. I only talk of parents because my dream of moving out but still being close enough for free meals and laundry was shot down in favor of going to a JC 30 minutes away.

So you aren't that old!

Icewalker
2008-08-15, 05:09 AM
Well I'm gonna be a junior, so not too far off.

Basically, I'll be the one guy you don't recognize, because everyone else described themselves. Except the other guy who is coming and didn't post in the thread. :smalltongue:

Poison_Fish
2008-08-15, 09:57 AM
I'm in college as well, seems the majority of our age range is around there/highschool.

SilentNight
2008-08-15, 10:45 AM
Well I'm gonna be a junior, so not too far off.

Basically, I'll be the one guy you don't recognize, because everyone else described themselves. Except the other guy who is coming and didn't post in the thread. :smalltongue:

Well, I suppose you'll just have to find us then. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Does someone want to volunteer to bring a camera? As Zeb said, without pictures it didn't happen. I don't have one sadly.

Pocketa
2008-08-15, 10:21 PM
Potluck is back up, from noon to 2.

Will this be on past 2?

The potluck will probably wind down by 1:30, no promises though. Latest I'd get to Eudemonia is 2:30.

averagejoe
2008-08-16, 01:28 PM
Well, I suppose you'll just have to find us then. :smalltongue:

EDIT: Does someone want to volunteer to bring a camera? As Zeb said, without pictures it didn't happen. I don't have one sadly.

I can bring one, I believe. I might have trouble locating the stuff I need to load the pictures onto my computer, though. Rest assured, though, I'll do it by hook or crook.

SilentNight
2008-08-16, 01:30 PM
I can bring one, I believe. I might have trouble locating the stuff I need to load the pictures onto my computer, though. Rest assured, though, I'll do it by hook or crook.

Sweet, thanks Joe.

Felixaar
2008-08-16, 01:37 PM
You guys make me feel old, with this talk of parents. I mean, I'm only in college, but still...

Dont worry Joe, I feel it too.

Party should still be going around two-two thirty, I think.

SilentNight
2008-08-16, 01:38 PM
Dont worry Joe, I feel it too.

Party should still be going around two-two thirty, I think.

If it's not we have a problem. :smallbiggrin:

Pocketa
2008-08-16, 02:23 PM
Thanks! I might have a camera as well, but that's for the potluck mainly. I'm not very good with...stuff in general...and the concept of not losing it, so I may give it to my mom after the potluck.

2:30 is an overestimate, max it should take me is 20 if I have to wait for lights at every corner and if there's a walking-too-fast-law.

Friend from my camp I just finished up, "Yeah, the police there would be like: 'Halt: you are walking to fast. Either slow down or start running' ".

Ah, GS, how we will miss your eyebrows.

(welding class)

SilentNight
2008-08-16, 03:09 PM
Thanks! I might have a camera as well, but that's for the potluck mainly. I'm not very good with...stuff in general...and the concept of not losing it, so I may give it to my mom after the potluck.

2:30 is an overestimate, max it should take me is 20 if I have to wait for lights at every corner and if there's a walking-too-fast-law.

Friend from my camp I just finished up, "Yeah, the police there would be like: 'Halt: you are walking to fast. Either slow down or start running' ".

Ah, GS, how we will miss your eyebrows.

(welding class)
You realize you'll have to tell us the whole story now, right? :smalltongue:

Felixaar
2008-08-17, 02:33 AM
Okay guys, all is looking good. I don't know if I'll be able to post again prior to the meet up so if not see you there.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 02:04 PM
Alright, see ya then.

sheepofoblivion
2008-08-17, 02:08 PM
I'd love to go, and I only live a couple hours east, but I'm not quite sure my parents would approve of me running off to San Francisco to meet up with a bunch of people I met on the Internet...:smallsigh:

exactly my prdicamet (however you spell it)

also, can I get a summary of what's going to happen, I just saw this thread...

Pocketa
2008-08-17, 02:09 PM
You realize you'll have to tell us the whole story now, right? :smalltongue:

Wait, what more?

About his eyebrows?

Xeluu
2008-08-17, 04:05 PM
*waves*

Hey everyone, I just joined the forums here last night, and as I was browsing today, I noticed this thread.

I happen to be in the bay area myself (According to google maps, 34 minutes away from Berkley.)

I was wondering when this was being held, and if I might join in and perhaps drag a friend or two? (At least one has read OotS, not sure about the other.)

Icewalker
2008-08-17, 04:28 PM
No reason you shouldn't come along. It's happening around noon on the 23rd, place is, as mentioned, Eudemonia, which you should be able to find with internet maps of one kind or another. If you bring people, make them make accounts on the forum first :smalltongue:

Xeluu
2008-08-17, 04:32 PM
No reason you shouldn't come along. It's happening around noon on the 23rd, place is, as mentioned, Eudemonia, which you should be able to find with internet maps of one kind or another. If you bring people, make them make accounts on the forum first :smalltongue:

Haha, fair enough on the accounts thing. I'll get in contact with them this evening and tell them to get on here.

I should be there, just look for the 5'10" blonde girl. :3 Should be easy enough to spot.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 08:59 PM
Sweet, the more the merrier. Um if you don't want to read back, you should look for a short guy in a shirt that says "Felix", a guy with a maple leaf on his head (that's me) and a steam punk. Am I forgetting anyone?

Pocketa
2008-08-17, 09:36 PM
Sweet, the more the merrier. Um if you don't want to read back, you should look for a short guy in a shirt that says "Felix", a guy with a maple leaf on his head (that's me) and a steam punk. Am I forgetting anyone?

Yeah...

I'm a girl.

Not just a steampunk.

I'm also the Head of Berkeley High Steamworks Dept., I was actually elected into the position, it has not been contested, and I got over 200 votes. Not even bragging.

Also.

I won't battle any girls for alpha position or dominance.

I already am alpha.

Only Serp is above me!

EDIT: Also, Icewalker is apparently tall.

And BTW:

I will be the triple-wielding-welder.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 09:42 PM
Duly noted. :smallbiggrin: Oh yeah, averagejoe's a tallboy too.

Alleine
2008-08-17, 09:50 PM
And I'll be the invisible boy wishing for the fairy Godmother to let me show up.

I'm seriously tempted to just take off and show up. But I'd rather not die just yet. Plus it would only start to be acceptable for me to do such things a couple days after the meetup when I level up to 18.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 09:55 PM
You'll be with us in our minds Alleine. See you next time then.

Alleine
2008-08-17, 10:03 PM
This is totally frustrating. I can imagine the look on my parents faces if I ask to go. Its not a nice look.

BTW Silent. Your avvy is totally shirtless. It's a vest he's wearing. And looks mildly pirate-like. The hat makes it look very much more swashbuckler like though.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 10:24 PM
This is totally frustrating. I can imagine the look on my parents faces if I ask to go. Its not a nice look.

BTW Silent. Your avvy is totally shirtless. It's a vest he's wearing. And looks mildly pirate-like. The hat makes it look very much more swashbuckler like though.
Yeah, I know it's just a vest, but people have been calling it naked from time to time. Go figure.

Pocketa
2008-08-17, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I know it's just a vest, but people have been calling it naked from time to time. Go figure.

Yeah, I think all the guys better show up shirtless. I would too, but there's a No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service policy at Eudemonia.

*sigh*

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 10:41 PM
Yeah, I think all the guys better show up shirtless. I would too, but there's a No Shoes, No Shirt, No Service policy at Eudemonia.

*sigh*
Then how could we?

Pocketa
2008-08-17, 10:42 PM
Then how could we?

You can't, that's the sad part.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 10:45 PM
You can't, that's the sad part.

Ah, my bad, I'm a little tired, must've misread the post. I thought you meant we (the guys) could come shirtless but you couldn't.

EDIT: Although I've always wanted to walk into one of those stores without pants and demand service. :smallbiggrin:

Pocketa
2008-08-17, 10:49 PM
Ah, my bad, I'm a little tired, must've misread the post. I thought you meant we (the guys) could come shirtless but you couldn't.

EDIT: Although I've always wanted to walk into one of those stores without pants and demand service. :smallbiggrin:

Do it! I'll have the camera and you can have a new avatar.

*You've got the looks, I've got the brains, let's make lots of money.* :smallbiggrin:

Nah, but I may pack fanservice clothes, because I have to dress 'normally' for the potluck (jeans and a shirt) but I prefer my other clothes. I.e. bodice and dress. But the dress has a hole in it, so that idea might be out.

BTW, potluck will end b/w 12:30 and 3 now. So expect me whenever.

Poison_Fish
2008-08-17, 10:55 PM
Excellent, I'm getting in a day earlier then I thought, so I can now assure I'll be coming.

Things to bring: Some magic decks (I can't promise they will be awesome, but i'll try to put together a few decent ones from what I can scrounge).

What else? I'll bring my computer just for the heck of it, I've got a few board games I could bring in myself as well: (Zombies, Frag, and a bunch of others laying around).

Pocketa
2008-08-17, 10:59 PM
Excellent, I'm getting in a day earlier then I thought, so I can now assure I'll be coming.

Things to bring: Some magic decks (I can't promise they will be awesome, but i'll try to put together a few decent ones from what I can scrounge).

What else? I'll bring my computer just for the heck of it, I've got a few board games I could bring in myself as well: (Zombies, Frag, and a bunch of others laying around).

Decks don't need to be 'perfect'. I played against a guy from my best friend's group that was very stuck-up about his decks (i.e. "This card is worth more than all your decks combined" to which I replied, "It's your money you're wasting on cardboard"). I myself just have some premades, and I'm happy with that.

Computer, hmm? What games do you have on it? I won't bring my 'top most likely. There is no wireless at Eudemonia, at least free wireless, that I know of.

With games:

MAKE SURE TO LABEL THEM! I.e. strip of masking tape with your name and email/address/whatever on it. The store has lots of games, and if they look sort of broken in, they might think that the games you're taking out of the store are the ones from their personal public collection.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 11:03 PM
Do it! I'll have the camera and you can have a new avatar.

*You've got the looks, I've got the brains, let's make lots of money.* :smallbiggrin:

Nah, but I may pack fanservice clothes, because I have to dress 'normally' for the potluck (jeans and a shirt) but I prefer my other clothes. I.e. bodice and dress. But the dress has a hole in it, so that idea might be out.

BTW, potluck will end b/w 12:30 and 3 now. So expect me whenever.
Oh dang, my rip-away tux and banana hammocks are all at the cleaners. I kid I kid. :smallbiggrin: But seriously, I've got my hat, that's about as weird as you can get.

Poison_Fish
2008-08-17, 11:08 PM
yeah, I've got all my board games labeled. I've worked/been to too many cons to have those mistakes happen again ;_;.

I remember the place having wireless when I went to the eventide release party, but you need a password to get in. I'm guessing they charge for it.

I've got a macbook myself, so not a lot of PC games. Just some Warcraft III, WoW, and a whole host of random turn based strategy games (dominions 3 being my prime). I haven't bothered installing windows, no major desire yet, though TF2 looks fun.

Oh, and java programs. Plenty of those.

On the note of the premade decks, they are cool, and I had a few, but I scrapped them to form other decks. I don't care about costs of cards (Unless I'm trading, I hate getting gipped), as I like surprises and I dislike the idea of buying a deck to win. I do like making random funny decks though. Granted, magic is just more a fun hobby then serious business for me.

If it were serious business for me and my friends, I'd have one extremely emo friend right now. Note to all; magic card boxes on top of cars going 65 mph on a 5 lane free way = pretty color explosion for all behind us.

Edit: and if we are going for weird dress ups here, I could walk around as a doctor, but that tends to confuse people. Also, lab coats are not comfortable when it's hot.

Pocketa
2008-08-17, 11:11 PM
I laughed in real life when I heard that one.

I call it fanservice because my closest friends are my 'bros', and they called me flabby one day (I'm normal <maybe even thin-side> but flabby) so I wore my bodice, which makes everything firm (torso, back, stomach) and they poked it, and somebody mentioned fanservice, and it stuck, and I ended up dressing up in that outfit every Monday for Gaming Club (with a tiara and cape too, complete with lining, etc.) and wore the bodice every day.

Now that I have some awesome goggles (they fit my glasses underneath, thank goodness, and have shades and regular lenses) and a plethora of weaponry (including but not limited to a morning star, three steampunk gun-things, and a whip <a la Indiana Jones, not Bettie Paige>) as well as a bracelet/wrist band of metal/awesome thing that declares me the Head of Berkeley High Steamworks Dept. (I was elected, I'll tell the story later), I don't really just need the bodice for the outfit, but it helps.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 11:16 PM
I laughed in real life when I heard that one.

I call it fanservice because my closest friends are my 'bros', and they called me flabby one day (I'm normal <maybe even thin-side> but flabby) so I wore my bodice, which makes everything firm (torso, back, stomach) and they poked it, and somebody mentioned fanservice, and it stuck, and I ended up dressing up in that outfit every Monday for Gaming Club (with a tiara and cape too, complete with lining, etc.) and wore the bodice every day.

Now that I have some awesome goggles (they fit my glasses underneath, thank goodness, and have shades and regular lenses) and a plethora of weaponry (including but not limited to a morning star, three steampunk gun-things, and a whip <a la Indiana Jones, not Bettie Paige>) as well as a bracelet/wrist band of metal/awesome thing that declares me the Head of Berkeley High Steamworks Dept. (I was elected, I'll tell the story later), I don't really just need the bodice for the outfit, but it helps.
Heh, wow. I take back what I said. That is definitely more noticeable than my hat.

Pocketa
2008-08-17, 11:16 PM
Nobody wears hats at BHS, lots of people wore bodices.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 11:19 PM
Nobody wears hats at BHS, lots of people wore bodices.
'Cept you obviously. :smalltongue:

Poison_Fish
2008-08-17, 11:21 PM
Wow, that's rather armed to the teeth. Well, maybe not so much teeth, but still.

I remember back in my day (Because It's been a crotchety 3 years since high school... where's my cane?), there was formal fridays at BHS, along with plenty of silly hat days.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 11:24 PM
I've got a decent arsenal myself. Haven't really expanded it in quite a few years though. Yeah, no formal days at EC. Just spirit weeks. :smallsigh:

Pocketa
2008-08-17, 11:30 PM
Formal Fridays? At BHS?

We don't have any Spirit Days anymore, 'cept Spirit Week.

Homecoming Countess (2nd place <didn't count because of foul play) '08!

Poison_Fish
2008-08-17, 11:33 PM
Formal Fridays? At BHS?

We don't have any Spirit Days anymore, 'cept Spirit Week.

Homecoming Countess (2nd place <didn't count because of foul play) '08!

Yes, Formal Fridays. Granted, I didn't go to BHS, but a large portion of my friends back then did.

I've got a decent arsenal myself

As do I, but it's all badly made swords and such.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 11:33 PM
Huh, all we've got is king and queen. Nice.

As do I, but it's all badly made swords and such.
Yeah, mine's mostly knives. Acouple swords and a katar but that's it.

Icewalker
2008-08-17, 11:41 PM
I've never collected much o that stuff. Just got a wooden sword and some really awesome knife letter openers.

No wireless I guess, so I won't bring my laptop. I probably won't bring anything, actually. No real magic decks going for me, although I could borrow someones and still play.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 11:44 PM
I've never collected much o that stuff. Just got a wooden sword and some really awesome knife letter openers.

No wireless I guess, so I won't bring my laptop. I probably won't bring anything, actually. No real magic decks going for me, although I could borrow someones and still play.

That's why we're bringing extras. I'm sure there'll be more than enough to go around.

Pocketa
2008-08-17, 11:48 PM
Of the decks I bring, I call dibs on Soratami's Dreaming (sic., I probably butchered it), Kamigawa (I hear you all groaning) blue and white.

SilentNight
2008-08-17, 11:53 PM
Of the decks I bring, I call dibs on Soratami's Dreaming (sic., I probably butchered it), Kamigawa (I hear you all groaning) blue and white.

*GROAN*

Anyway, I'm bringing three, I'll use whatever.

averagejoe
2008-08-17, 11:56 PM
Frag

That's a great game, if for no other reason than because you get to roll, like, a billion d6es for attack. As someone whose primarily played DnD, that just gives such an awesome feeling of power.

I'll be bringing extra magic decks. Mine tend to be based off of weird ideas I have, except for my saproling deck, which is pretty basic. That one's just to feed my love of attacking with weird fungus monsters.

Pocketa
2008-08-18, 12:09 AM
I'll bring at least 3 decks. I'm not card-swapping, btw, and I'd like to keep my premades in the premade condition.