PDA

View Full Version : The Blood Thread

Nychta
2008-05-12, 06:21 AM
I was browsing Friendly Banter, and I realised that I missed a great discussion on blood. I'm pretty sure they've moved on now, but I find it a fascinating topic to discuss... and I'm sure some others will, too.

So! Any vampires out there? And anyone care to explain to me why people dislike seeing/discussing blood?

Emperor Ing
2008-05-12, 06:25 AM
So! Any vampires out there? And anyone care to explain to me why people dislike seeing/discussing blood?

...what?!
I'm not certain if we discuss this stuff here or not.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-12, 06:29 AM
I think Nadia is refering to the thread about blood donation. I'll try to find it in a few minutes.

The Rose Dragon
2008-05-12, 06:29 AM
There are no vampires, as far as I know. There is bound to be a few people that practice vampirisim, though.

We moved on mostly because Ina wanted us to. I would still be talking about blood if we could.

Nychta
2008-05-12, 06:31 AM
There are no vampires, as far as I know. There is bound to be a few people that practice vampirisim, though.

We moved on mostly because Ina wanted us to. I would still be talking about blood if we could.

Oh, okay. So you don't object to this thread? I just thought it might be better so that those who dislike blood can avoid reading any discussion altogether.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-05-12, 06:59 AM
I enjoy the smell and taste of blood.

...maybe I'll find someone who'll let me indulge in that sometime. Although it is a form of fluid bonding, so...

...someone I trust.

I'm da Rogue!
2008-05-12, 08:24 AM

...maybe I'll find someone who'll let me indulge in that sometime. Although it is a form of fluid bonding, so...

...someone I trust.

*raises hand*
I'll let you drink some of mine, if you let me drink some of yours.

Serpentine
2008-05-12, 08:26 AM
I like watching it come out when I'm getting a blood test...
Unfortunately it makes me feel kinda ill.

I should donate blood, but after my experiences with getting tests done (with my truly terrible veins, it involves lots of poking and prodding and, in one case, bone-scraping), I'm kinda... worried about it.

B-Man
2008-05-12, 08:27 AM
I love the taste of blood. If I didn't worry about infection or getting sick, I would lick up my friends' blood if they got cut. :smalleek:

I also like donating blood whenever I can too. My last donation didn't go too well as I fainted shortly afterward and the nurse informed me that if a scenario like that were to repeat I would be banned from donating blood for as long as I live. :smallsigh:

SMEE
2008-05-12, 08:39 AM
Regarding blood donation... I would donate, if they would allow me... I'm banned from donating blood on the grounds of being transexual.:smallsigh:

As long as I live in Brazil, I can't donate blood anymore. Which is awful, as I used to have this silly rite where I would go donate blood on my birthday. :smallfrown:

Serpentine
2008-05-12, 08:39 AM
Unless you have a cut somewhere in your mouth or maybe in your oesophagus or stomach, you shouldn't be able to get any infections through licking blood, and it could actually be good for the other person's wound. But, well, it can only take a little cut or whatever, so you might not wanna risk it...

edit: Smee, aside from possible hormone issues, why would that be so? :smallconfused: Same reason homosexuals apparently can't in a lot of places?

I'm da Rogue!
2008-05-12, 08:43 AM
I'm banned from donating blood on the grounds of being transexual.:smallsigh:

Really?
But.. there's no reason to ban you, right? I mean scientifically.
That's not fair.

SMEE
2008-05-12, 08:44 AM
Serp: Aye, it seems so. The nurse claimed that I couldn't donate because I was taking contraceptives, but any woman who takes the same contraceptives as I do is allowed to donate.

reorith
2008-05-12, 11:19 AM

i practice vampirism, but i never get better at it :smallmad:

also, i can't donate blood because i lived in england and may have been exposed to creutzfeldt-jakob disease, and i have a bunch of piercings :(

Cobra_Ikari
*raises hand*

...ok. *bites* :smallwink:

*snuggles*

Rare Pink Leech
Blood. Sometimes it sets my teeth on edge. Other times it helps me control the chaos.

Renegade Paladin
2008-05-12, 11:35 AM

...someone I trust.
*raises hand*
You people are weird. :smalltongue:

SoD
2008-05-12, 11:41 AM
Heh, I'll admit that I like the taste of blood, if I get a small cut I'm usually sucking at the wound for a fair while.

The taste, yes, but the sight? Uhgh *shudders*. I'm not sure why, I used to be able to watch my blood get taken out when I was younger, but recently (past few years) I haven't been able to watch, the same goes for paticulary bad injuries.

Oh, and as a side note, I watched Sweeny Todd a few weeks back, that was a struggle...

Arioch
2008-05-12, 11:55 AM
Really?
But.. there's no reason to ban you, right? I mean scientifically.
That's not fair.

The British Blood Transfusion Service won't accept blood from men who have ever had gay sex. Ever. Even if they used a condom. They seem to think that they all have HIV.

Seems a bit unfair, no?

Mitch Benn did a song about it.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-12, 12:30 PM
*methodically smites everyone with vampiric tendencies*

Other than that, uh... I dunno, blood is interesting. It's symbolic of life and of one's heritage and nature. I can't say I particularly like the taste, but the sight of blood just interests me. Its physical properties are about as cool as its symbolic history, and the species-by-species variations (like how spiders have blue blood, because their carrier proteins use copper instead of iron) are fascinating. But beyond "Huh, cool," I don't have that much fixation on blood.

Though, in my opinion "Suffer and be redeemed in your guilty blood" is the best vaguely pious threat ever.

Player_Zero
2008-05-12, 12:42 PM
Don't open that coffin, it's ticking!

BizzaroStormy
2008-05-12, 01:43 PM
While I dont have vampiric tendancies, I do enjoy the tase and smell of blood. Its the main reason why I order my steak so rare.

Brickwall
2008-05-12, 01:50 PM
The lifestream...it is as sweet to my lips as it is to my veins. My eyes drink in its sight, and the beast stirs within me at its scent. Lo, fear and tremble, as I am Brickwall, blood-thirster and life-drinker!

*ahem*

I like the taste of blood. I don't really make a habit of wanting other people's blood, though. You know what they say: "You can pick your friends, and you can lick your wounds, but you can't lick your friends' wounds."

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-12, 02:00 PM
I have bit my tongue a few times because I wanted to taste some of my blood.
Itīs delicious. Have never tried others blood though...

Wait a second...

:mitd: "Your broken corpses will taste delicious lightly seasoned with nutmeg."

Mordokai
2008-05-12, 02:05 PM

...someone I trust.

If we find way for me to avoid being poisoned(you being snake boy and everything) I'm willing to give it a shot :smallbiggrin: You bite me, I bite you. I promise I'll be gentle :smallbiggrin:

I'm very fond of blood and regular blood donor. I'm picking a profession where I will work with blood for the rest of my life. Since I'm mainly looking for diseases it's not a pretty job, but somebody's got to do it. And I must say, I love my job.

*methodically smites everyone with vampiric tendencies*

*joins Surly*

Two can do a better job :smallwink:

Jibar
2008-05-12, 02:05 PM
Every now and then I look down at my hands, and they're covered in blood.
Dried blood too.
I really don't know why that happens.

13_CBS
2008-05-12, 03:00 PM
I wonder if it's possible to live off of blood. I mean, hey, Vamp from Metal Gear Solid 2 did it to survive being crushed under rubble for 2 days, why can't I?

*sneaks off again under a box, puffing on cigs and eating processed rations*

Izodor
2008-05-12, 04:06 PM
I did my biology project about human blood a few years ago...

SDF
2008-05-12, 04:10 PM
As a diabetic and aspiring surgeon I better not have a problem with blood. I also don't have a problem with people drinking blood as long as I get to thrust a wooden stake into their heart.

I'm also type AB+ which, according to the Japanese, means I'm cool, controlled, and rational. :P

I'm da Rogue!
2008-05-12, 04:24 PM
I couldn't donate blood because of the tattoo, but since it's been 5 years since i had it, it's ok for me now I think.

I should probably ask first.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-05-12, 04:32 PM
I couldn't donate blood because of the tattoo, but since it's been 5 years since i had it, it's ok for me now I think.

I have no such restrictions regarding accepting blood donations. Especially from someone as cute as you. :smallwink:

RabbitHoleLost
2008-05-12, 04:42 PM
I'm an O+ blood type, and donated blood only once, in an attempt to get over my fear of needles.
I won't do it again, more or less because of the prick on the finger they give to test the blood for iron. It hurts more than when they stick the need in your arm =/

Also, Cobra, you can bite me :smallwink:
I love me some vampires.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-05-12, 04:44 PM
I'm an O+ blood type, and donated blood only once, in an attempt to get over my fear of needles.
I won't do it again, more or less because of the prick on the finger they give to test the blood for iron. It hurts more than when they stick the need in your arm =/

Also, Cobra, you can bite me :smallwink:
I love me some vampires.

*gasps* <3.

*snuggles and bites*

Needles don't bother me at all. When I was a kid, I would volunteer to take shots for my sisters, because I didn't understand how they worked.

...part of me kinda wishes I could have, too. Hearing Danie scream in pain was way worse than some pinprick. :smallfrown:

Mordokai
2008-05-12, 04:48 PM

The limit after having tatoo is half a year, IIRC. A year max. So you should be fine with donating.

I really should dig up my notes on transfuziology. Damn thing was interesting. Too bad most of the professors were incompetent and/or boring.

Gaelbert
2008-05-12, 04:52 PM
I deal with blood a lot, mostly resulting from diabetes and my... aggressive behaviour in soccer (also known as football). When I check my blood sugar and I don't have a kleenex nearby to wipe up the blood, I normally just suck it off my finger. I also like the taste of blood when I have loose teeth.

Thiel
2008-05-12, 04:56 PM
I wonder if it's possible to live off of blood. I mean, hey, Vamp from Metal Gear Solid 2 did it to survive being crushed under rubble for 2 days, why can't I?

*sneaks off again under a box, puffing on cigs and eating processed rations*

I read something about this a while ago. If I remember correctly it is possible to live of human blood for a limited period of time. Problem is that human blood doesn't contain all the right amino acids and such so you're going to start suffering from all kinds of dietary deficiencies.

As to me and blood:
Any squeamishness I might have felt about blood disappeared last summer when I worked for a horse butcher over the summer. Unlike most butcher shops we received the animals while they were still kicking. Since people were going to eat them we couldn't use poison so we dosed them with ether and cut their throats. A horse contains something like 15-15 litres of blood. You imagine the mess that left behind.

RabbitHoleLost
2008-05-12, 04:59 PM
*gasps* <3.

*snuggles and bites*

Needles don't bother me at all. When I was a kid, I would volunteer to take shots for my sisters, because I didn't understand how they worked.

...part of me kinda wishes I could have, too. Hearing Danie scream in pain was way worse than some pinprick. :smallfrown:

Aww. Yeah, I still start sobbing uncontrollably when left to deal with a needle. Though, if its taking blood, the moment its in, I'm fine. Its just up to the point I get pricked and before.
When I donated my blood, the Red Cross people loved me. The vein in the inside of my right elbow is huge and easily visible. Less pain for me, easier for them.

Also, I like the taste of my own blood. And, my last ex discovered if he sucked even very gently on my skin, blood would come from it. So, Cobra, you don't even need to bite me :smallwink:

I'm da Rogue!
2008-05-12, 05:03 PM
Thanx, Mordokai!

@Cobra: Ok.:smallwink: Bites are cool too.

Also, I like the taste of my own blood. And, my last ex discovered if he sucked even very gently on my skin, blood would come from it. So, Cobra, you don't even need to bite me :smallwink:
!!!
Will you marry me?

GrassyGnoll
2008-05-12, 05:27 PM
For the longest time I dipped bread in the bloody drippings of rare steaks. Can't imagine why I stopped.

Human blood is a different story. After some dental surgery I tasted it for days on end.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-05-12, 05:28 PM
Aww. Yeah, I still start sobbing uncontrollably when left to deal with a needle. Though, if its taking blood, the moment its in, I'm fine. Its just up to the point I get pricked and before.
When I donated my blood, the Red Cross people loved me. The vein in the inside of my right elbow is huge and easily visible. Less pain for me, easier for them.

OMG. I love you. Be mine? <3.

...though I suppose I could share you with Rogue, if I must. *snuggles*

Mordokai
2008-05-12, 05:36 PM

You'd make for a fine subject indeed :smallsmile: Drop me your number, should I ever be in need of easily suckable subject.

Errrr, that is, a fine young girl with very interesting and not too common deficiency :smallbiggrin:

I'm da Rogue!
2008-05-12, 05:41 PM
You'd make for a fine subject indeed :smallsmile: Drop me your number, should I ever be in need of easily suckable subject.

Errrr, that is, a fine young girl with very interesting and not too common deficiency :smallbiggrin:

Congratulations, you're Rabbit's 100th stalker!
That means you get to take a photo with her and you're free to post it on your creepy wall (which is full of her pictures anyways:smalltongue:)

*takes pic*
*sells for 1,000 euros*

Mordokai
2008-05-12, 05:44 PM
Only 100th? I was sure she was more popular than that :smalltongue: And I don't intend to stalk her, I'm merely being... practical!

Keep the picture, I can't afford it. I just found out today I owe money to the state. As if certain playgrounder ripping me off wasn't enought :smallbiggrin: But... that's for another topic. Back to blood!

What are you favourite blood cells?

@V You still do. Which, of course, doesn't mean I can't suck you dry of blood :smalltongue: :smallsmile:

RabbitHoleLost
2008-05-12, 05:46 PM
Congratulations, you're Rabbit's 100th stalker!
That means you get to take a photo with her and you're free to post it on your creepy wall (which is full of her pictures anyways:smalltongue:)

*takes pic*
*sells for 1,000 euros*

Hey, now, its not THAT many stalker.
And...Mordy, I thought I creeped you out? :smalltongue:

sktarq
2008-05-12, 06:47 PM
Blood. Yum. Well My blood is yummy. I also have no real problem with accidental spillage of other's blood. Other people cutting themselves is incredibly disturbing to me however. It's totally based on the CHOICE to cut onesself that causes me to turn into a dry heaving wretch in the corner.

Other people drinking my blood is generally a waste in my opinion. I want it-It's mine to begin with. So it is only given out to those who I'm very close with.

As for donations I gave at every opertunity until they added the lived in the UK rule here in the US-even though I was not yet weaned yet when I was there. Very Stupid.

Best blood story. My GF was a vampire for halloween. "Forgot" about the fangs (which were the single piece glue to your teeth variety) and left me with 4 scars on my right trap for two years. Ruined some perfectly good clothes. and sheets, and a towel, no two towels....no I didn't notice until after, shaddup

Jae
2008-05-12, 06:49 PM
So I dont mind my own blood at all, and I dont mind it at all in expected places.
Like, er, it grosses me out a lot if I step in it out of nowhere. Something about the consistency is great amounts...it's just thick and gooey and pretty disgusting. not to mention the disease factor.

but I could care less in the ER. (my moms an emergency room nurse so ill get to stick around on occasion..im not supposed to, though) In fact, lol the emergency room has always brought on my morbid curiosity. I get unreasonably excited if I hear that we have a code three flying in or something. And I do not admit to this OUTSIDE the ER because if you don't work in it, you cant understand the fascination with other peoples medical issues.
And I do not admit to this INSIDE the ER because my madre has always wanted me to go into the medical field and she gave up a little a long time ago. I dont want to spark her hope by letting her know im considering it.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-05-12, 06:57 PM
Blood. Yum. Well My blood is yummy. I also have no real problem with accidental spillage of other's blood. Other people cutting themselves is incredibly disturbing to me however. It's totally based on the CHOICE to cut onesself that causes me to turn into a dry heaving wretch in the corner.

Other people drinking my blood is generally a waste in my opinion. I want it-It's mine to begin with. So it is only given out to those who I'm very close with.

As for donations I gave at every opertunity until they added the lived in the UK rule here in the US-even though I was not yet weaned yet when I was there. Very Stupid.

Best blood story. My GF was a vampire for halloween. "Forgot" about the fangs (which were the single piece glue to your teeth variety) and left me with 4 scars on my right trap for two years. Ruined some perfectly good clothes. and sheets, and a towel, no two towels....no I didn't notice until after, shaddup

I used to cut and burn myself (and have been thinking about starting again. Trying hard not to, though)...and I never licked the blood that came out. I washed it away...

...but to me, it was something for penance...something dirty I had to get out...so maybe that's why the thought of ingesting it never occured to me?

Uncle Festy
2008-05-12, 07:24 PM
N-needles?
NEEDLES!
*runs away*
*fast*

Dragonrider
2008-05-12, 07:31 PM
I used to cut and burn myself (and have been thinking about starting again. Trying hard not to, though)...and I never licked the blood that came out. I washed it away...

...but to me, it was something for penance...something dirty I had to get out...so maybe that's why the thought of ingesting it never occured to me?

:miko:DON'T START AGAIN. *shakes finger at Cobra* DON'T!

I can't give blood because I lived in China for six months. Anyway (as I said in RB), needles make me pass out. And I have hard-to-get-at veins.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-05-12, 07:38 PM
*Saunters into the thread*
Mmmmm......
Blood....

Yes, I like blood. I find it tasty, and will gladly take some from anyybody willing. Its my nature.
Tasty, tasty Blood...
While, I fully admit, I do have slight Vampiric tendancies (I pretty much was the Goth crowd in one of my high schools), they have sbsided over the years. I've never gone out simply for a taste, and I can deal quite well without.
But, so... tasty....
Regarding donating, I gave some at the end of Boot Camp, and nearly passed out from the experiance. Me being scard for my own health, I have yet to give blood again. The simple, honest contemplation of such an act leaves my head spinning and me craving for some fruit juice and sugar cookies.
Gallons of the stuff...
I can't help, though watching it as it leaves my body and goes into the needle - or the test-tube, or the collection bag, or whatever I'm having my blood drawn for.
So... beautiful...
What do I do? I work in Weather. Strange past-times we hold, eh?

Mr. Scaly
2008-05-12, 07:39 PM
Well, a friend of mine plays a vampire every chance he gets in DnD. Does that count?

RandomLogic
2008-05-12, 07:39 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm O negative. I've been donating for years now and I would imagine I've given a gallon or two so far. Its been a bit since I've donated as they used to come to school...

Mattarias, King.
2008-05-12, 07:53 PM
I like my blood. It keeps me alive. :smalleek:

I like my steaks pink and dripping with the stuff (uh, wassit called.. medium rare?) So.. Yeah, that's the extent I go to in eating it. Otherwise.. O.o Eh.

I donate when I can, though. Makes me feel strong somehow.

*in character* I'd doubt any'd want somma mine. Last time they tried sommin' like that, lemme tell ya, it was heartburn and a half for 'em. :smallbiggrin: Heheheh..

RabbitHoleLost
2008-05-12, 07:55 PM
Well, a friend of mine plays a vampire every chance he gets in DnD. Does that count?

Hehe. I may not play DnD, but I always roleplay a vampire or undead or something related to them :smallwink:

FoE
2008-05-12, 07:57 PM
I have no such restrictions regarding accepting blood donations. Especially from someone as cute as you. :smallwink:

*Sics mongoose on Cobra*

If I had claws, I would so do this. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FingerLickinEvil) But as it is, I do like sucking the blood out of my wounds. It's coppery, but it's not bad.

Mr. Scaly
2008-05-12, 08:21 PM
Hehe. I may not play DnD, but I always roleplay a vampire or undead or something related to them :smallwink:

Probably better than he does. last time he just sat there while the rest of us were attacked. Heh...

Cobra_Ikari
2008-05-12, 08:23 PM

I'd roleplay a vampire for you... :smallwink:

...or are we not talking about that kind of roleplay? >.>

RabbitHoleLost
2008-05-12, 08:27 PM
I'd roleplay a vampire for you... :smallwink:

...or are we not talking about that kind of roleplay? >.>

<<
>>
Uh, of course we're not...
ZOMG. Sexy vampire cobra? You have the fangs already ;D

North
2008-05-12, 08:29 PM
My like my steaks rare and juicy. Thats about me extent.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-05-12, 08:30 PM
<<
>>
Uh, of course we're not...
ZOMG. Sexy vampire cobra? You have the fangs already ;D

Gah. Don't play with my mind like that, hun. *tries to keep the fantasizing limited*

...if you don't, don't be surprised if I actually bite you should I meet you in person. :smallwink:

Lilly
2008-05-12, 08:57 PM
I tried donating plasma a couple of times, but it totally didn't work. I get dehydrated at the drop of a hat, and my veins suck, and the sensation of having something in my vein makes me completely freak out. Well not freak out, just get very tense.

Otherwise blood doesn't bother me much. (I don't think)

Phase
2008-05-12, 09:02 PM
I've always wanted to spill a huan's blood in space to see whether it's actually blue when low on oxygen. Sure, I could just do the research, like a normal scientist, but where's the fun in that?

Aereshaa_the_2nd
2008-05-12, 09:46 PM
I've drunk my own blood before, mostly from bicycle scrapes which rip off a layer of skin (painful). The reason it tastes good is because of the glucose(sweet!) and carbon dioxide(fizzy!) in it. Also, am I the only one who compulsively sucks on their cuts and scrapes? My mom keeps telling me off for it.

Needles have never scared me, I have very little sensitivity to pain, for example right now I am typing with my index finger, which is leaving little pricks of blood on the keyboard because of a bad paper cut.:smallamused:

Jack Squat
2008-05-12, 09:58 PM
Blood doesn't bother me much, don't particularly like seeing it, but I'm not phased by it.

On donating blood, I've got nothing against needles and such, but I like to keep my blood inside of me if I can help it. call me selfish if you must.

skywalker
2008-05-12, 10:14 PM
I've always enjoyed the taste of my blood when my mouth bleeds.

On the other hand, while I don't mind needles, or having blood drawn, it certainly is very disconcerting to see it coming out, for me. Like Jack, call me selfish, I guess.

I don't mind watching people get cut if I can turn off my empathy. If I can't, I can nearly feel the blade on myself. Not fun.

I think being pricked on the finger hurts a hell of a lot worse than any other blood drawing or whathaveyou.

Finally, I have tasted another person's blood, but that was... private, I guess you would say.

thubby
2008-05-12, 10:28 PM
I've never had a problem with blood, be it cuts or needles, one of the reasons nurses I've had love me I guess :smalltongue:. tastes like copper *blek* though the idea of blood, symbolism and all, is always an intriguing.

EDIT: I'm 0-, universal donor *dances*

DanielX
2008-05-12, 10:48 PM
I'm a semi-regular blood donor. Its not a big deal for me, I have relatively 'easy' veins in my arms, and I always make sure I drink a lot beforehand and ask for a soda while I'm donating (I'm on a college campus, twice a semester the Red Cross comes around ). I still hate being jabbed with the needle though :smallfurious:.

The Red Cross has some weird rules about what to donate. Okay, most of it is to keep people taking certain antibiotics or with certain diseases from donating. But if you've lived in BRITAIN for 6 months or more between 1980 and 1996 you can't donate blood! (I think that's due to Mad Cow disease - an amazingly overstated risk. Far more people die in golf cart accidents than from 'catching' Mad Cow disease!). Also, any man who has ever had sexual relations with another man after January 1, 1977 cannot donate blood, period. That doesn't affect me but that means pretty much every male homosexual or bisexual cannot ever give blood. I guess that has to do with AIDS - and its true that gay men are the most 'at-risk' group, but its not enough of a difference to really discriminate that way (male/female relations and drug needles can spread HIV just as readily), and there's a huge blood shortage...

GingerNinja13
2008-05-12, 11:11 PM
I've never had a problem with blood, be it cuts or needles, one of the reasons nurses I've had love me I guess :smalltongue:. tastes like copper *blek* though the idea of blood, symbolism and all, is always an intriguing.

Omg your so right, blood does taste like copper! Someone told me the reason once but I forget.

I am rather odd about blood, usually im ok with other peoples blood a part from the fact it makes me feel really bad for them. Most of the time I am fine with seeing my own blood and like to lick it but every once in a while when I see my own blood it makes me feel quesy especially if its a particulary large or deep cut. Also I cant stand needles cause I have a bad habit of unconciously tensing when they go in making it hurt a lot. But a part from that I do rather like blood.

Mando Knight
2008-05-12, 11:31 PM
Odd, mine usually tastes more like iron... which makes sense due to the hemoglobin in the blood...

When I see my own blood, I feel... nothing. I don't see many other peoples' blood, but I do have a tendency to get random nosebleeds... (working on a calculus test, driving on backroads near home, reading a book, eating, sleeping, completely random.) I'm also not squeamish about needles... but I've never taken the time to donate blood for some reason... no idea why.

GingerNinja13
2008-05-12, 11:40 PM
Odd, mine usually tastes more like iron... which makes sense due to the hemoglobin in the blood...

Oh come to think of it, it might taste like iron not copper. Its one of the two but I dont really go around licking metals so yea...

Fri
2008-05-12, 11:45 PM
My blood type is AB! that means, if I'm in trouble, everyone of you guys can donate your blood to me!

I don't faint when seeing blood (like in a butcher or meat shop) but don't find it fun either.

Seriously, until recently, I have crippling fear against my blood taken from me. Dunno, anemia and low blood pressure combined with somekind of childhood trauma?

I don't find needle scary, no problem with injection for me. But I can't have my blood taken from me, even just a tiny bit for medical examination (I know my bloodtype because they just had to prick my finger).

I remember as a child, I went trashing so bad when someone want to take my blood for somekind of examination so they had to cancel it. :smallbiggrin:

Just recently I conquered that fear. But I still had to distract myself and pretend I'm not there if someone had to take my blood for any reason.

Serpentine
2008-05-13, 12:05 AM
I'm Be Positive! :smallbiggrin: (and Daria's B- <.<)

Rabbit: Uh... I'm pretty sure that can't be good, having such thin skin o.O Do you cut easily?

I think I prefer the taste of my wounds to my actual blood... They normally have more of that coppery-sweet-sour taste than the blood itself, even when I'm not bleeding.

My favourite blood? That of people in malaria-prone areas. They tend to have a greater frequency of sickle-cell anaemia because carriers of the disease have blood cells modified just enough that malaria can't use them to replicate. The resistance to malaria outbalances the negative effects of sickle-cell anaemia enough for people with it to have selective advantage. I think that rocks.

Nychta
2008-05-13, 12:28 AM
Hehe, I was a Vampire in Vampire II
*proud*

I remember when a baby tooth fell out, I wouldn't take cotton wool, but I'd suck on the little flow of blood. I remember it being ever so sweet.
... I pulled out a lot of my own teeth.

I've always loved blood. It's so delicious. I used to have eczema, and often scratched before scabs even started to form. I didn't like that, though, because the skin just went all raw and red without blood.

EDIT: Needles = no problem. I get acupunture all the time.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-05-13, 02:03 AM
Hehe, I was a Vampire in Vampire II
*proud*

I know you were, and suspected (quite strongly) such.
And you HAD to die before I could press you for information. :smallannoyed:
Stupid Cristo and his stupid counter-kill.
(No offense, Cristo)

Also, I hate needles.

poleboy
2008-05-13, 02:34 AM
I don't have any problems with my own blood, unless it's gushing out of me at an alarming rate. I remember accidentally cutting myself with a pocket knife when I was in my early teens and not noticing it until most of my lower arm was covered in blood. I freaked a little at first, but once I found out that the cut was so small I could barely find it, I relaxed. I haven't really been scared of blood since.

Other people's blood however... I dunno, I'm not crazy about other people's bodily fluids unless I know them extremely well. And not very much even then. And about Vamp from MGS. Wasn't he like uuuh... a vampire? Might explain a few things :smallbiggrin:

Castaras
2008-05-13, 07:21 AM
Blood doesn't worry me much. Well, the blood you get when you cut yourself. Any deeper and I freak out, alot like I freak out with alot of medical stuff. Mostly syringes and injections.

I faint.

Alot.

I am not going to be able to have a blood sample taken without me being knocked out first, I'd say. Or held down to stop me struggling. :smalleek: Blood donations are waaay out.

DemonicAngel
2008-05-13, 08:25 AM
ah, blood...

Well, considering I'm not 18 yet, I cant donate blood here in Israel, I have the O-, meaning everyone can get my blood.

Me? I love the smell, the taste and the looks of blood, and considering I bleed from so many parts of my body each week, it works out ok. (yeah, I climb cliffs as a hobby. ever tried gashing open a little wound by sliding on the sharp side of a rock while trying to do a near-death action while hanging from 12 meters in the air? I did.)

I have two dots on my neck which look like a vampire bite, and it really doesn't bother me too much (:

I'm willing to suck anther's blood, as long as I know they're healthy enough. any takers? yeah, I know "keep dreaming, punk"

The Rose Dragon
2008-05-13, 08:31 AM
I had my blood drawn today. For analysis. Turns out I've inflammation in my pharynx. So, yay!

randman22222
2008-05-13, 08:35 AM
AHHH! Reading this thread makes me queasy!

I don't mind blood so much after it's stopped moving, stopped spurting, flowing, or whatever. I'm going to study forensic science, and so long as I don't watch a violent crime being committed, I think I'll be fine.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-13, 03:21 PM
I've wanted to give blood several times. But I've always either been too young to legally do it or had major upcoming events for which I needed my blood because bad things would happen if I were exhausted.

I kinda vaguely like getting shots, actually. It's just... interesting. The way the needle presses and the skin goes apart.

I remember one time when I cut myself accidentally while fooling around with a Swiss Army knife. The skin just slowly unfolded like a flower for a couple seconds before it started bleeding. The actual bleeding was less pleasant, but right before it started was beautiful.

Also, I've found that the best way to close up superficial cuts is to hold them under very hot running water. Has anyone else found this to be the case for them? Because in everything I've read, cold water is supposed to reduce bleeding and hot water is supposed to actually increase bleeding. Do I have defective blood or something?

Darius Midnite
2008-05-13, 03:22 PM
Well, I guess I have a bit of an vampiric streak about me.

But it's more the taste of iron than the fact that it's blood that I like. Though my favorite colour is crimson red...
Funny how you sometimes find yourself suckling a finger if you cut it, just to get a taste of that blood.

Agamid
2008-05-14, 05:39 AM
I can't watch when i get blood taken. but i love blood. it's sooo pretty.
oxygenated blood is the best, it's so intensely red and so bright.
I've had so many injections and needle over my thus far short life that i hardy feel them anymore, but i don't like watching the needles go in or coming out.

I come from a really scientific family (my dad's a vet, mum used to be a vet nurse but now works admin in a hospital, my eldest brother is training to be a doctor, and i'm tossing up whether or not to do vet nursing). But my family have a history of getting excited over odd things, like funny coloured moulds growing on food, strange blemishes on each other including oozing rashes (like the one i got on my leg after staying at a hippie music fest and not showering for a whole week :P) and, of course, wounds.
We all have really strong stomaches. If any of my animals die from unknown causes my dad and i have been known to perform the necropsies.

When my little brother was a kid he thought blood tasted like honey. I think this was more because when he licked his skinned knee he'd just been eating honey sandwiches and, seeing as how a messy eater he used to be, he probably had some on his knee.

... i wish i could find some watercolour paints that were the same red as blood.