PDA

View Full Version : balance level

quiet1mi
2008-05-12, 10:39 AM
I know that spell-casters,such as the wizard, dominate the game at higher levels and non-casters, such as the fighter, dominate the game at low levels... so at what level is everything close to even in the butt-kicking department.

Duke of URL
2008-05-12, 10:43 AM
I think the "balanced" range comes in at around level 5-6 or so, hence the E6 variant. Casters are starting to come into their own, and have caught up to the bashers on the power curve, but aren't yet overpowering.

A lot depends on the supplements used and the level of muchkinism, of course.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-12, 10:44 AM
WOTC claims the game is best at levels 5-10, and internet forums appear to reach pretty much the same conclusion (give or take a level or two).

Jimp
2008-05-12, 12:45 PM
I have found the most balanced region to be between 6 and 10. E6 itself is quite balanced, but up to level 10 works too. Melee folk are still very viable and useful while full casters are powerful, as always, but not game-ruining dominating. Also the half caster classes tend to get nifty around those levels.

Chronos
2008-05-12, 01:39 PM
There is no complete answer to this question, since the classes don't all balance at the same level. For instance, the most powerful PHB class at first level is the druid, which is also one of the top three most powerful at high levels. The fighter might, just barely, be more powerful than the druid at level 4, but that's the only point in their careers that'll be true, and that's still assuming a lot more optimization on the fighter than on the druid.