PDA

View Full Version : "Just a flesh wound..." Vitality feats [FEAT]

HellFencer
2008-05-12, 01:39 PM
Caramek crept through the rafters quietly. She was as if a cat stalking prey. She was the night. She was... falling.

*CRACK*

The elven woman fell and hit the ground hard. It knocked the wind from her as her sword slid across the stone floor. There was a commotion behind her, as the table the four orcs were sitting around was suddenly thrown. Caramek stood and cracked her neck. "So, who's first?" she taunted. The nearest orc leapt at her and landed a fist in her face. As her body fell to the floor once more, the orc began to laugh. As she hit the floor, Caramek spun around and used the momemtum to trip the orc. It was the last sound he made, other than the gurgling. The orcs stared at the dagger lodged in their comrade's throat and drew their weapons.

Caramek was light on her feet from years of training, and was easily able to dodge the surrounding orcs. Tumbling past them, she was able to elbow one in a vital point. Unfortunately, the orc withstood the blow and bashed his morningstar into her shoulder. Again, Caramek stood, revitalized, and brushed herself off before lunging at the orc. Her hidden blade struck true and was lodged firmly between some vertebrae.

The two remaining orcs looked a little nervously at each other. Thus far equal blows had been exchanged, and two good men had died. Using a little tactics, the orcs surrounded the elf, and began beating her ragged. One of the hits managed to hit her head, sending her to the ground. After the initial shock left her, Caramek rolled away and summoned all her inner strength. In an instant, she seemed to stand straighter, and hold herself as if she hadn't been nearly killed. The orcs looked at each other again. The one on the left simply said, "Gorn'ck, is you turn. Feg watch."

Gorn'ck gulped and leapt at the woman with all he had, but it wasn't enough. Caramek had caught her second wind and wasn't about to let up. She dug her dagger into her opponent's gut, letting his momentum power his own disemboweling. There was time enough for a scream before Gorn'ck's organs slapped against the stone floor.

Feg, feeling more than a bit out of his league, turned and ran for his very life. "Treasure yours! Feg not care!"

--------------------------------------------

My point in creating these feats was to give some relief from the "non-standard" party that includes a cleric. Since healing is such a large part of the game, I decided to make these feats in an effort to get more non-standard parties or to at least let the cleric do something more than heal.

Questions and comments are welcome.

Feel free to use these in a game as a player or DM alike, but all I ask in return is to let me see where they are being used, so I can see what they do in action!

Revitalize [Vitality]
You can call upon inner reserves of constitution and willpower to shrug off pain and wounds.
Prerequisites: CON 13, Endurance
Benefit: You gain two Vitality Charges. By expending a charge, you may roll a number of healing dice based on your most prevalent hit die. This is determined by the die type that you have the most of. Note this includes racial hit dice. This die type is considered your Base Die in the chart below. For every three hit dice you have, you gain an extra Vitality Charge.

Expending a Vitality Charge is a swift action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. You may expend up to one half the total number of charges you have in any given encounter. You have the option of augmenting your healing dice at the expense of efficiency. By expending an extra charge, you may add another die of the same type to your pool. For example, if you have a Base Die of d8, and you expend two charges, you would heal 3d6 instead of just 2. You may expend up to three charges in this way. Should you decide to expend two charges, it takes a move-equivalent action. For three charges, it takes a standard action.

You may expend all Vitality Charges with no ill repercussions. Lost charges are regained after an eight hour rest.
Healing Dice:{table=head]Base Die | Healing Dice
d4-d6 | 2d4
d8-d10 | 2d6
d12 | 2d10[/table]Vitality Charges{table=head]Total Hit Dice | Vitality Charges
1st | 2 (base)
3rd | 3
6th | 4
9th | 5
12th | 6
15th | 7
18th | 8[/table]

Second Wind [Vitality]
You take a moment and refocus all your inner strength and reinvest yourself in your actions.
Prerequisites: Revitalize, Base Fort Save of +3
Benefit: You gain an extra Vitality Charge. In addition, you may expend three Vitality Charges to heal 10 * CON. bonus hit points, to a maximum of half your total hit points. You may only activate this feat if you have fallen below half your total hit points, excluding temporary points. Activating this feat is a full-round action, and may only be done so once per encounter.

Lucky Health [Vitality][Luck]
You have an innate knack for shrugging off damage.
Prerequisite: Revitalize
Benefit: You may reroll any ones you receive on your healing dice rolls. In addition, you receive an extra Vitality Charge.

Massive Vitality [Vitality]
Deep within you resides a well of fortitude unseen in the common folk.
Prerequisites: Revitalize, Great Fortitude, CON 15
Benefit: You may increase the number of healing dice rolled by one. For example, you would roll 3d10 instead of 2d10 for only one charge.

Inherited Health [Vitality]
You are descended from an extremely healthy bloodline, giving you extra ability to withstand wounds.
Prerequisites: 1st level only, CON 13
Benefit: Starting at 1st level, and every two levels thereafter (3rd, 5th, etc.), you may treat your class hit die as one size larger for the purpose of gaining new hit points. Note that this does NOT effect your healing dice, in any way.
Special: The d12 is increased to a specialized d14. For those that do not have a d14, roll a d20 and reroll everything above a 14.

*Round up on all instances.

--------------------------
Update 5/12/08: Inherited Health (better wording), Revitalize (removed CHA prereq.)
Update 5/13/08: Inherited Health (different rolling style), Revitalize (changed expending charge time // added how charges return)

Torger
2008-05-12, 03:27 PM
Good start. A few questions, though.

#1. Why the charisma requirement?

#2. Does Inherited Health increase your Hit Dice, or does it increase the size of your vitality dice. It's ambiguous.

Otherwise, I'd consider allowing these in my games.

Cute_Riolu
2008-05-12, 03:58 PM
I agree. It looks very nice to me. Makes it easier for clerics to NOT be heal-bots, helps in Solo games, all around looks nice.

HellFencer
2008-05-12, 04:05 PM
Ahh, good points. I had added the CHA as a prerequisite, since the feat is drawing from inner willpower and all that, but I suppose mechanically it is unnecessary.

And no, Inherited Health does not affect your healing dice in any way.

SilentNight
2008-05-12, 07:59 PM
I like these a lot, think I'll include them in my game, thanks.

JoshuaZ
2008-05-12, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=HellFencer;4313693]The d12 is increased to a specialized d14. For those that do not have a d14, roll 2d8, ignoring a 15, and counting 16 as a 1.

/QUOTE]

These do not give the same probabilities. Better to use a d20 and ignore a 15 and up or even better do d100 using two d10s and ignore 99 and 100. In general, a quick way of doing dk is to use d(10^n) where 10^n is appreciably larger than k. So say for d150 you'd do the same thing with d1000 using three d10s. With a handful of d10s you can do pretty much anything. If you are mathematically inclined you can use other die as well using other bases for your arithmetic.

HellFencer
2008-05-13, 07:19 AM
The d12 is increased to a specialized d14. For those that do not have a d14, roll 2d8, ignoring a 15, and counting 16 as a 1.

These do not give the same probabilities. Better to use a d20 and ignore a 15 and up or even better do d100 using two d10s and ignore 99 and 100. In general, a quick way of doing dk is to use d(10^n) where 10^n is appreciably larger than k. So say for d150 you'd do the same thing with d1000 using three d10s. With a handful of d10s you can do pretty much anything. If you are mathematically inclined you can use other die as well using other bases for your arithmetic.

Yeah, I realized already that two separate d8's and 2d8 are not the same probability... I'm a math guy, but fractions and percents seem to slap me in the face. I have noted above to simply use a d20, ignoring anything above a 14.

HellFencer
2008-05-13, 12:48 PM
UPDATE

I spoke with someone on these, and he pointed out that a 1st level human barb would be able to not only move and attack, but also lay down 3d10 without any AoO's. This seems a bit problematic.

To help curve the "full attack AND heal" scenario, I changed Revitalize a bit. Expending one charge is still a swift action. I added: "Should you decide to expend two charges, it takes a move-equivalent action. For three charges, it takes a standard action."

TheGrimace
2008-05-13, 09:38 PM
so...
inherited health raises your hp by an average of 1 every two levels?

so it's half as effective as improved toughness?

or did I read it wrong?

HellFencer
2008-05-14, 06:51 AM
so...
inherited health raises your hp by an average of 1 every two levels?

so it's half as effective as improved toughness?

or did I read it wrong?

Yes, I suppose it does look that way, doesn't it? The main difference is, you don't need the lousy Toughness feat first.

So, does Inherited Health seem underwhelming then?

Uthug
2008-05-14, 07:54 AM
Improved Toughness (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Improved_Toughness)doesn't need toughness to qualify.
Well nice set of feats but they wouldn't really seem like something that I would like to take over some others. At most I would take Revitalize and Second Wind.
Maybe you could make some of them fighter feats, though I'm not really sure about the flavour of these feats. Are they combat orientated in any way?

Torger
2008-05-14, 08:13 AM
Survivability is fairly combat-oriented, sorry to say.

"Well, Gee... I'd kill all those orcs, but the pike-awl bisecting my abdomen is kind of a drag. Tell me, is it bad when you know what your own spleen looks like?"

Uthug
2008-05-14, 08:39 AM
Well then you could make them fighter feats for those poor fighters who will have to face orcs and their ilk everyday on the front-lines while wizards lurk behind doing the actual damage.

HellFencer
2008-05-14, 09:03 AM
I could have sworn Improved Toughness needed Toughness to qualify... That must have been errata'd at some point. Regardless, there is a point between making feats "wantable" and "overpowered" and its a fine line.

The point in these feats was to give added survivability to those not only in combat, but in general. Yes, its helpful after you've been pounded on by a bunch of orcs, but also after you didn't see that trap or fell off a ledge or whenever you'd lose HP.

What would you suggest to improve things?

Katasi
2008-05-23, 03:58 PM
Survivability is fairly combat-oriented, sorry to say.

"Well, Gee... I'd kill all those orcs, but the pike-awl bisecting my abdomen is kind of a drag. Tell me, is it bad when you know what your own spleen looks like?"

I think that falls under the basis of this strip: http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0006.html

Pie Guy
2008-05-23, 07:18 PM
How many charges do you get. Per day? per lifetime? per encounter? Which is it?

HellFencer
2008-05-24, 07:55 PM
Charges per day (as I thought I mentioned) was per day. You may use them all and not suffer any ill effects, and they return with an 8 hour rest.