PDA

View Full Version : Ethereals

Revanmal
2008-05-12, 06:14 PM
I am, or at least once was, a fan of World of Warcraft. But in all my years playing it, no other race has ever fascinated me as much as the Ethereals (http://www.wowwiki.com/Ethereal).

For those who may not want to look: Ethereals are essentially inter-planar merchants and arms dealers, beings of pure energy that can bind themselves like mummies in cloth to do business or fight. What I wish to know is, is there any race in DnD that I can modify/fluff into a character such as this effectively, or if there is not, if some kind person with more skill at this than I, could assist in helping me build a race that may work.

Please and thank you.

TheLogman
2008-05-12, 06:38 PM
It seems like its a fairly spiritual race. This would entail going through things, energy attacks, and DR. However, because of the Race rules, that would cause some problems.

So, first question, would you prefer a high LA race with lots of abilities or a low LA class with little/no abilities?

Revanmal
2008-05-12, 06:50 PM
Beyond a racial short-range teleport (normally behind an enemy) they seem overall to be the same as a human. Though I can only speculate that they'd likely have some form of resistance to normal weapons, being partially etheral, and likely good diplomats and merchants due to their culture.

Revanmal
2008-05-12, 08:51 PM
Well, I've got a bit written up about them. Let me know if there's something I can improve I just hope it isn't overpowered.

---------------------------------------

Ethereals

An interdimensional race of merchants and rogues, Ethereals were banished from their home world by Dimensius the All-Devouring, a powerful Void Demon, and were forced to settle in other places. The current size of their empire is unknown, but it is based on wealth, with 4 Trade Princes serving as the rulers. Their primary concern is taking back their homeworld, as well as amassing riches from any worlds they encounter through trade and, if necessary, theft. Ethereals are raised to be skilled traders from the moment they can grasp the concept of trade, and make skilled diplomats and cunning combatants. To interact with other humanoid races, ethereals wrap themselves in bandages like mummies, giving their somewhat vaporous state a more solid form. Their arcane nature allows Ethereals to detect even faint traces of magic, and they are naturally skilled in the use of magic items.

+1 Charisma, +1 Intelligence, -2 Constitution

Medium Aberration

Base Land Speed: 30 ft.

Ethereal Jump: Ethereals are able to teleport 50 feet in any direction as a move action 1/HD every day, as per the Teleport spell.

Detect Magic: Ethereals can sense magical auras at will 1/day as per the Detect Magic spell.

Ethereals have a +2 damage resistance versus normal, non-magical weapons.

+4 racial bonus on Diplomacy, Gather Information, and Bluff checks.

+2 racial bonus to Appraise and Use Magic Item checks.

Favored Classes: Rogue, Wizard

TheGeek
2008-05-15, 06:35 AM
Just glancing over your race, it looks like about +2 or +3 LA, but I could be wrong.

Usually, stat adjustments (Str, Dex, etc) are in even numbers, rather than odd. You may want to change that. ;)

Ceaon
2008-05-15, 12:31 PM
Well, I don't mean to be a know-it-better, but I made some changes and improvements.

Ethereals

+2 Charisma, +2 Intelligence, -2 Constitution

Medium Outsider

Ethereal Jump: Ethereals are able to teleport themselves and their gear 50 feet in any direction as a move action. This ability otherwise functions like the Dimension Door spell. This ability can be used a number of times a day equal to their HD.

Detect Magic: Ethereals can sense magical auras 1/day as a free action as per the Detect Magic spell.

Ethereals have Damage Reduction 2/magic.

+4 racial bonus on Diplomacy, Gather Information, Bluff and Sense Motive checks.

Favored Class: Rogue

Level Adjustment: +3

The change from abberation to outsider seems logical, and races never have more than one favored class. Damage resistance is called Damage Reduction (DR). Also, as merchants, I feel they should have a bonus to sense motive.
Also, the Ethereals seem to be ethereal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#etherealness), which is a condition in DnD. However, this is a very powerful ability, which would make this race's level adjustment a lot higher...

Xefas
2008-05-15, 01:00 PM
Can I try to make a 4th edition version?

Ethereal
Abilities: +2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal
---
Languages: Common, Ethereal
Skill Bonus: +2 Diplomacy, +2 Streetwise
---
Otherworldly Origin: Considering an Immortal creature
---
{table=head]Spacial Shift (Ethereal Racial Power)
You move briefly outside perceptible space, appearing as if to teleport from one place to another
Encounter * Teleportation
Move Action (Personal)
Effect: Teleport up to 5 squares[/table]
----

Racial Feat:
Discorporation
You have learned to fade partially outside reality while still maintaining the bonds that keep your essence together.
Benefit: Once per day, as an immediate interrupt, you may become Insubstantial until the beginning of your next turn.

(Note: The "Insubstantial" condition causes you to takes half damage from all sources except for critical hits)

Aleron
2008-05-15, 01:16 PM
Well, I don't mean to be a know-it-better, but I made some changes and improvements.

Ethereals

Medium Outsider

Ethereal Jump: Ethereals are able to teleport themselves and their gear 50 feet in any direction as a move action. This ability otherwise functions like the Dimension Door spell. This ability can be used a number of times a day equal to their HD.

Detect Magic: Ethereals can sense magical auras 1/day as a free action as per the Detect Magic spell.

+4 racial bonus on Diplomacy, Gather Information, Bluff and Sense Motive checks.

The change from abberation to outsider seems logical, and races never have more than one favored class. Damage resistance is called Damage Reduction (DR). Also, as merchants, I feel they should have a bonus to sense motive.
Also, the Ethereals seem to be ethereal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#etherealness), which is a condition in DnD. However, this is a very powerful ability, which would make this race's level adjustment a lot higher...

Most of these changes are good, but one comment is wrong. At least 1 races does have 2 favored classes; Drow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#drow). Granted that is based on Gender, but drow still have the extra FC.

Revanmal
2008-05-15, 04:20 PM

Ethereals

Medium Outsider

A know-it-better is exactly what I need. :smalltongue:

That seems quite good. Still within lore, and not TOO powerful. Thanks a lot.

Ceaon
2008-05-16, 04:43 AM
Most of these changes are good, but one comment is wrong. At least 1 races does have 2 favored classes; Drow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/elf.htm#drow). Granted that is based on Gender, but drow still have the extra FC.

Hehe, figures I'd be proven wrong within seconds :smalltongue:!
But I still feel favored class: rogue is the most appropriate, instead of splitting the race in two seperate subraces somehow and assigning each a different favored class.

Also, your welcome!