PDA

View Full Version : Random Truenamer Questions

CockroachTeaParty
2008-05-12, 06:26 PM
I have a few rather minor questions concerning the beleagured Truenamer from Tome of Magic.

First of all, what's the point of a Truenamer knowing his or her own truename? As far as I can tell, knowing a personal truename allows you to raise the save DC and helps overcome spell resistance at the cost of raising a truespeak check by 2, but what's the point of knowing one's own truename? You'll probably be using utterances that are beneficial to you, and you can ignore your own spell resistance if you have any. So is it just for flavor? I know the capstone ability, 'say my name and I am there' uses a simplified version of your personal truename to instantly summon you to your allies, but that doesn't come into play until 20th level, and knowing your personal truename seems pointless in the meantime.

Secondly, it says the truespeech DC of an unattended object is 25 (I think). Does this count towards things such as walls, floors, or ceilings? The Lexicon of the Perfected Map has some pretty useful utterances that effect the surrounding environment, but I don't think there are any rules that explicitly state the DC to effect the world around you. I'm just assuming that it is 25, like an unattended object, but perhaps I've missed some random passage in the rules.

Anyway, these things have always puzzled me. If anybody's got any insights, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Newtkeeper
2008-05-12, 06:40 PM
I'm lead to understand that, unlike spell resistance, you cannot lower your 'truename resistance'. The DC is what it is, no dodging it. Hence, knowing your truename is useful.

I have no clue as to the second question.

CockroachTeaParty
2008-05-12, 06:54 PM
I'm lead to understand that, unlike spell resistance, you cannot lower your 'truename resistance'. The DC is what it is, no dodging it. Hence, knowing your truename is useful.

I have no clue as to the second question.

That's the thing though... If you were to use your personal truename on yourself, the DC of an utterance actually gets harder. It seems nonsensical.

Chronos
2008-05-12, 07:44 PM
That's the thing though... If you were to use your personal truename on yourself, the DC of an utterance actually gets harder. It seems nonsensical.Yes and no. Or more precisely, yes, no, and yes. If you just use the True Speech for "that guy wearing my clothes and standing in my square", you use the normal DC for a creature of your power. If you use your own personal truename, then the DC rises by 2, but you also get a +4 on the check, because you're so good at saying your own personal truename, so that more than balances out.

...except that the bonus for saying your own truename is a competence bonus, which means that it doesn't stack with any other competence bonus, and if you've somehow managed to make it to high level as a truenamer, you must surely have picked up some general purpose competence bonus to True Speech somewhere along the way.

Overall, I think that the "known personal truename" bit is mostly just for flavor. Well, it's also necessary for the recitation feats, but those suck, anyway.

Prince_of_Blades
2008-05-12, 07:45 PM
For the first question, since you're speaking your own personal truename, you get a +4 to the check, giving a net decrease to the amount you have to roll on the die.

As for the second, the DC for the Lexicon of the Perfected Map is 25 + 5 per level of the utterance, with an additional + 5 if it is a magical location. No, it wasn't in the book, but you can check the errata here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/er/20040125a).

CockroachTeaParty
2008-05-12, 11:06 PM
Ah, that makes more sense. I wasn't sure if there was errata for it, seeing as how we're expected to pay for these things anymore... D&D is quickly becoming the Grand Turismo of RPG's...

At any rate, many thanks. I shall implement these rules immediately... Assuming I can find anyone who wants to play a truenamer.

Kyeudo
2008-05-12, 11:14 PM
I recomend changing the DC of speaking a creature's Truename to DC 15 + the creature's CR + (2 x the level of the utterance or spell being used) and speaking the truename of an object to DC 15 + the object's caster level (if it has one) + (2 x the level of the utterance or spell being used). Otherwise, you can't be a decent Truenamer without completely optimizing Truespeak.

monty
2008-05-12, 11:59 PM
Otherwise, you can't be a decent Truenamer without completely optimizing Truespeak.

And then you still suck. Really, the best way to optimize a Truenamer is to play another class instead.