PDA

View Full Version : FMA, anime or manga

thorgrim29
2008-05-12, 07:39 PM
Hey, I was wondering if it would be worth the time to borrow the Fullmetal Alchemist anime, seing as I'm avidly following the manga. IE, where do they diverge, are they very different, would you recommend the dub or the sub, etc?
BTW, I dont know where the manga is, but I'm up to chapter 82
Lin is appearently back at the helm after greed killed the litthe rat dude.

MeklorIlavator
2008-05-12, 07:50 PM
They are supposedly very different, and and I would say that the anime is pretty good. Also, for once the dub isn't that bad. It's like they actually hired talent, instead of bums off the street.

Haruki-kun
2008-05-12, 07:54 PM
I read the Manga and watched the animé. While they're both good, I think I like the Animé storyline more.

EvilElitest
2008-05-12, 07:54 PM
Both are possible the best Anime/Manga in the entire genre. Like no joke, they are. I like both, and i love the fact that they are different. I watch the anime and read the magna and while the premise is similar the actual stories are different. I think the manga wins because it is better edited and controlled, but i still think it is amazing. Both have a very good understanding of real life, the manga more so, so it is very good. the Anime however, needed to have cut some eps or at least parts of eps and been at least 4 eps longer to properly develop characters. Pride for example

Also you might want to spoiler this thread
from
EE

Cubey
2008-05-12, 07:55 PM
The story basically branches in two different directions after:
The Elric brothers pay a visit to warehouse five, or whatever that secret government Philosopher's Stone production facility was called.
Some events are shared by both continuities even after that, or may look familiar, but the major plot is very, very different. The anime on general operates on a lower power level, and there aren't any characters from the far east, like Lin. It also ended already, and I think the ending wrapped everything up pretty nicely (if you add the movie too), although the anime's idea on what is behind the gate evoked many sighs and winces. It doesn't make the series any less great however. Okay, maybe a bit.

Short version: go fer it!

EvilElitest
2008-05-12, 07:58 PM
Hey, I was wondering if it would be worth the time to borrow the Fullmetal Alchemist anime, seing as I'm avidly following the manga. IE, where do they diverge, are they very different, would you recommend the dub or the sub, etc?
BTW, I dont know where the manga is, but I'm up to chapter 82
Lin is appearently back at the helm after greed killed the litthe rat dude.

Do dub. Ed, Mae Hueghes, Roy, Riza, Greed, the Fuhrer, Lust, Envy (really envy), Gluttony, random characters (no joke) Kimblee and Barry are really really really good. Al however, is, well, he is, ok he is possible one of the worst voices i've ever heard and his character suffers greatly for it
However it is worth it none the less
from
EE
Edit

I liked the alternate world theory, it explains a lot of things. They should have worked on it more however

Icewalker
2008-05-12, 08:02 PM
Yeah, I've heard that they are significantly different, in terms of storyline and even some basic "this is what these fictional beings can do" kind of stuff. I've watched the anime, and it is very good. I may pick up the manga to read at some point as well.

EvilElitest
2008-05-12, 08:05 PM
Yeah, I've heard that they are significantly different, in terms of storyline and even some basic "this is what these fictional beings can do" kind of stuff. I've watched the anime, and it is very good. I may pick up the manga to read at some point as well.

Is really is worth it, the writer is most likely the most brilliant manga writer person the industry has to offer.
from
EE

thorgrim29
2008-05-12, 08:07 PM
Great, thanks, I guess I'll pick them up, if nothing else, it'll give something to do in the appartment in a small town I'm renting for the summer (what I would'nt do for a cool summer job...)

EvilElitest
2008-05-12, 08:09 PM
Great, thanks, I guess I'll pick them up, if nothing else, it'll give something to do in the appartment in a small town I'm renting for the summer (what I would'nt do for a cool summer job...)

online manga could work as well
from
EE

Kojiro Kakita
2008-05-12, 08:12 PM
yes, and if you need a goodsite, PM me.

FoE
2008-05-12, 09:39 PM
Just don't watch the anime and then whine about the changes they made to the story. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks) Yes, it's different. It's an adaptation. Get on with your life.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-05-13, 02:28 AM
I prefer the anime, but mainly because I watched it first and the manga isn't finished.

However I didn't like:

That manga homonculi aren't actually homonculi, I think the anime did that slightly better.

LBO
2008-05-13, 08:00 AM
I really liked the manga. Very nice art and character design, good story, cool setting. I haven't seen the anime, partly because I invariably enjoy manga more than anime. I prefer it when I can believe the characters are moving.