PDA

View Full Version : Any Etymologists here? (Or Can someone help prove the existence of perfidity?)

Bookman
2008-05-12, 10:15 PM
Ok so as some of you know I'm directing a show right now and in the show the painfully dumb girl is being sort of lectured at by the painfully smart professor who wants her to come back and continue to plot to kill a woman.

Anyways he says to his other co-conman who also has had a change of heart about the murder and says basically "You were born with a talent for perfidity and don't waste it". The dumb girl asks what it means.

So the actress looks up the word and it's not in the dictionary. However, I've HEARD this word before and google turns up a few results of uses of the word but no definitions. Also it links to perfidy so I assume perfidity is an adjective describing a perfidy.

So....Anyone wanna try and help me?

ZombieRockStar
2008-05-12, 10:55 PM
Perfidy: N. A treacherous act. "Perfidity" is not a word. The adjective is "perfidious."

From the Latin fides, from which we get "fidelity." Thus, someone who is perfidious is lacking in fidelity.
This definition is certainly not courtesy of Wiktionary. >_>

Solo
2008-05-12, 10:59 PM
Seconded.

And it should be in any dictionary worth it's salt.

Fri
2008-05-12, 11:23 PM
Huh? A quick search bring me to the wiktionary. They have definition for perfidy/perfidity.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/perfidy

damn internet connection and you ninja guys.

SurlySeraph
2008-05-16, 02:15 PM
"Perfidity" is just a colloquial pronunciation of "Perfidy." Like "For-tay" for "Forte" and "Nucular" for "Nuklear."

Bookman
2008-05-16, 03:30 PM
"Perfidity" is just a colloquial pronunciation of "Perfidy." Like "For-tay" for "Forte" and "Nucular" for "Nuklear."

That would make sense since it is a play script and would want emphasis on pronunciation...

And that's definitely what I'll tell the actress who's fighting with me over this. :tongue:

averagejoe
2008-05-16, 09:01 PM

Wait, how is "forte" pronounced? I can't recall it ever having been pronounced any other way.

Jokes
2008-05-16, 09:40 PM
I think it could be the way forte is said, often with two very distinct syllables, with more emphasis on the '-tay.'

Saeveo
2008-05-17, 05:22 AM
Wait, how is "forte" pronounced? I can't recall it ever having been pronounced any other way.

Well, it's almost straight from the French "fort", meaning "strong", and pronounced as the English "fort" (e.g. Fort Knox).

But "for-tay" is also acceptable. And, you know, much more common.

averagejoe
2008-05-17, 12:59 PM
Well, it's almost straight from the French "fort", meaning "strong", and pronounced as the English "fort" (e.g. Fort Knox).

I shouldn't be suprised, I guess. French seems like a language practically designed for cheating at scrabble.

WalkingTarget
2008-05-19, 08:57 AM

Huh... That makes sense I guess. My first interaction with the word was via music where it is pronounced for-tay (being from Italian rather than French). It never occurred to me to consider the French version of the word.