PDA

View Full Version : [4e] - Art: Fire Giants

SamTheCleric
2008-05-13, 08:48 AM
I like how they look... just this side of crazy.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/art_preview/20080513_114772_0.jpg

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-13, 08:50 AM
OOOh, AK seez teh neece and shiniez!

That's pretty nice artwork. Hopes up for art.

Starsinger
2008-05-13, 08:51 AM
I can't help but noticing, the guy with the giant +3 flaming greatsword seems to have set his own hair ablaze...

Human Paragon 3
2008-05-13, 08:53 AM
O'Doyle The Fire Titan rules!

Haruspex
2008-05-13, 08:57 AM
There's a frigging STAIRCASE between his legs. Just how big are these guys supposed to be? Nice art though, with flames too.

Premier
2008-05-13, 09:01 AM
If I hadn't read the thread title, I would have though the female one on the right is some sort of dwarf or gnome, because she has that kind of body proportions. That's Not A Good Thing.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-13, 09:04 AM
If I hadn't read the thread title, I would have though the female one on the right is some sort of dwarf or gnome, because she has that kind of body proportions. That's Not A Good Thing.

Well... Aren't the dwarves descendants of the Titans and Giants? So it sort of makes sense...

Admiral Squish
2008-05-13, 09:06 AM

I dunno, maybe I'd actually play a dwarf if they looked like that.

AslanCross
2008-05-13, 09:07 AM

Well, in 3.5 the Fire Giant was described as having the same proportions as a dwarf. I guess they wanted to keep that in 4E, though here the proportions of the female seem different from the male's.

Anyway, I really liked it too. Some of the later 3.5 art was actually pretty close.

http://www.waynereynolds.com/D&D%20eberron/WOTCGallery2A/SecretsofXendrix03.jpg

Compared to

http://wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG121.jpg

I like how they're delving a bit more into the giants' elemental origins, unlike how they were just "really big people who live in extreme environments" in 3.5.

Lucyfur
2008-05-13, 09:08 AM
Sexy! (I wouldn't kick them out of bed.)

bosssmiley
2008-05-13, 09:27 AM
I like how they look... just this side of crazy.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/art_preview/20080513_114772_0.jpg

Now those are *proper* D&D giants. Big, mad swarthy viking-looking buggers with their heads on fire, screaming for the blood of the short ones! The titan looks like a furnace that's decided everyone under 20' tall should just be killed for being too annoyingly small by half. :smallcool:

Hope the crunch lives up to their artwork. Although, dammit, I might be buying the new MM for the art alone. Roll on the Frost Jotens.

Swooper
2008-05-13, 09:55 AM
Oooh. Lovely. One of the few things I love about 4E is the art.

KIDS
2008-05-13, 10:46 AM
I really like how Fire Giants are displayed too, it's something that was always missing. But I have to object - or if I've fallen under the influence of nonsexist crusade - why does the female on the right have such disproportionally huge boobs?

Zeta Kai
2008-05-13, 12:07 PM
I just wondering why she's half the size of the middle guy. She's definitely standing in front of him, but she's much smaller. They must have a hight variable height. I wonder if there is a Fire giant template...

kc0bbq
2008-05-13, 12:07 PM
They're kind of a throwback to 1e fire giants, aren't they? Me like.

Project_Mayhem
2008-05-13, 12:18 PM
I just wondering why she's half the size of the middle guy. She's definitely standing in front of him, but she's much smaller. They must have a hight variable height. I wonder if there is a Fire giant template...

I'd guess the middle dude is an eldar giant or similar

SamTheCleric
2008-05-13, 12:21 PM
I'd guess the middle dude is an eldar giant or similar

I think he's the Fire Titan and they are just Fire Giants.

Starsinger
2008-05-13, 04:44 PM
I think he's the Fire Titan and they are just Fire Giants.

Which would explain not only why his hair is on fire, but why his mouth looks like he has a Lite-Brite for tonsils.

The Necroswanso
2008-05-13, 04:49 PM
That is how a fire giant should look.
Awsome stuff.

lord_khaine
2008-05-13, 05:18 PM
yeah the art looks good, but im starting to develop a severe dislike for that version of "brestplate".

UglyPanda
2008-05-13, 06:17 PM
That was unexpectedly cool. Even the one in the Cleavage Plate looks badass. The old image was very bland, to say the least.

hewhosaysfish
2008-05-14, 06:01 AM
Until I registered the staircase behind and figured out the scale, I thought the dude in the middle was the Giant and the two on the sides were Azers...

poleboy
2008-05-14, 06:22 AM
why does the female on the right have such disproportionally huge boobs?

Because it's fantasy art, duh. :smalltongue:

Anyway, some of them look a lot like azers to me. Which is okay, I suppose. IIRC the dwarves are the Gods' (Moradin probably) attempts at making copies of the first titans, right? Makes sense to me.

Burning hair ftw. I wonder how they smell? :smallconfused:

hamlet
2008-05-14, 07:36 AM
Don't care for it. Can't put my finger on a definate reason, but I just don't like it.

Pretty much the same way I haven't liked D&D art for the last 10 years or so, and this is not a knee-jerk reaction to my dislike for the new edition (I didn't like a lot of later 2nd edition art either). I just don't care for it.

Maybe it just looks too much like a comic book to me, or maybe it's just too . . . I don't know . . . "polished"?

I miss the old 1e and 2e fire giants. They were plenty great for me.