PDA

View Full Version : Most unlucky Character ever

McClintock
2008-05-13, 03:23 PM
We had a guy in our group that was not well liked, but we tollerated him. He was also our 6th player and tended to slow things down with his play style. (NEVER PREPARED... and he was playing a halfling rogue... easy choices and still never ready)...

Any way, he had to be the most unlucky dude I have ever met. We were playing Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, and in one game session (about 3 hours of in game time) he died 3 times. By the time we raised him the last time, he was so far behind he lowered our party CR by 2. The real kicker was his last death:

We had just gotten done explaining to him that we were unhappy with his "sit back and watch" play style. We wanted him to be more proactive in future situations. Now remember he is a 1/2ling rogue (Trying to be a shadowdancer), and he decides to charge the crabs in the lake. ??!?!?? Scoop, grapple, dive! He was dead before any of us could help.

We disbanded the group for a few weeks after that module and asked him not to return, we're all happier for it.

Any body else have "Unlucky" PC stories?

BrainFreeze
2008-05-13, 03:39 PM
Had a marathon Shadowrun game over one weekend(about 28 hours of gaming over the 2 days). By the time we were done I had lost 7 characters. Though to be fair we were running through a bug hive.

For my birthday the next week I was given 50 Shadowrun character sheets printed out on flash paper :P

Sholos
2008-05-13, 04:05 PM
Any and all characters I run. They don't even have to be made by me; those are just worse off due to lousy stats (I once rolled a character with nothing above 11 and two stats below 9). I frequently miss ranged touch attacks (even with Precise Shot and a 16 DEX). Even against guys in Full-Plate. At higher level. My most common rolls on a d20 are below 8. Saves against my stuff? Well, I've seen more enemies with a +0 modifier save against my spells than fail. On that note, I've failed more saves that were against my strong area than I've made. Yeah, dice really, really hate me. Oh, and games I'm in always bog down and don't go anywhere, even though I'm the one who's more often than not ready to move along. So, it's more like RPGs hate me.

Brauron
2008-05-13, 04:08 PM
I once rolled five 1's in a row on a d20. My sword shattered on the Orc's armor, and a shard flew threw the air and pierced my own heart.

AngryRussian16
2008-05-13, 04:42 PM
Nothing really that bad, but recently our rogue went from full hp to -10 in one attack, and we were all too low a level to bring him back

Damn our DM's evil dice

Crow
2008-05-13, 04:54 PM
In a final climactic battle against the BBEG in our last campaign, the last player dropped, leaving just his cohort. The BBEg was on his last legs, so the cohort goes in to finish the BBEG off.

He scores a good hit, but it only drops the BBEG to 0 hp. The bad guy staggers back and then makes the decision to "go for it" and attack the cohort (who is full hp). 1 swing (since you can't full attack at 0 hp), so he decides to power attack for full effect.

Critical hit. The damage knocks the cohort straight into the afterlife. Then the BBEG falls unconcious.

The Necroswanso
2008-05-13, 05:06 PM
In my early days of D&D we weren't given much gold, and my DM had troubles understanding how to build proper CR. So, as such, we were constantly under equipped, over challenged, but we somehow used our wits to pull thorugh.
Having to use countless bluff and diplomacy checks, by level 5 we each had a +1 weapon on armor. But I went overboard and con'd every merchant in town until I had enough items to take out a challenge of atleast three levels above us, on my own.
However we were in a fight on a dock, I got blinded for three rounds, and was bull rushed by a very very crazy sorcerer. I would have had to roll a 1, to fail........ Guess what I did. I then began failing my swim checks, which I needed a 5 to pass, stated drowning. Had a choice. Lose all my gear, or die. The water was too deep to retrieve the equipment, and we were the only residents powerful enough to even dream of attempting it. So, I got back onto the deck, naked, and strangled my first cat girl to death, (catfolk sorcerer)..... naked.... I was then arrested for indecent exposure, was not given a fair trial. My friends came in the night to break me out, I lost my hand in a battle to escape. We left town, got me some miniscule equipment, and set off. Three days later a dude caught up to us, he strangled me in my sleep. Apparently he was one of the gentlmen we con'd. Me being the least equipped was the easiest target for his revenge.
Lost a level. Had a chance to regain it by finding a powerful enough cleric. (we have such a nice DM) However to find such a cleric, we had to track it down based on knowledge checks, survival checks, and gather information checks..... Turns out it was a succubus. I failed my grapple check with another 1, and by the end of the day was level 1 in a sixth level group.

Three weeks later I replaced the entire bag of dice.

Mayybe it's not my characters who are unlucky, it's just me.

Avor
2008-05-13, 05:24 PM
My own halfling rouge, rolled four 1's in a roll.

Chances of that, 1 in 160,000. Lucky the campain was cut short because we lost and gained players and I never had to ever look at that character ever again.

It was like my character was a retarded midget.

Trouvere
2008-05-13, 05:40 PM
A party of five vs. a lamia, finally defeated in 8 miserable rounds. The wizard kicked off with a nat 1 for initiative, and a 1 on a scorching ray in his first round. The lamia rolled a nat 1 vs grease, and a nat 1 on its next attack. The cleric rolled two nat 1s, and I think didn't hit even once all combat. TWF fighter rolled two nat 1s and a 2 and several 4s, but did at least hit a couple of times. The other fighter was charmed by the lamia and attempted to grapple everyone... while he never succeeded, he also made his save vs a color spray and cause fear, even with a Wis drained to 6. While all this incompetence was going on, the psion just kept ego-whipping. The lamia rolled another three nat 1s for saves, and when it finally succumbed, a 2. We were just lucky the unluck was spread around so evenly.

Arokh
2008-05-13, 05:41 PM
hmm...the unluckiest pc probably was our barbarian that tried to get some information out of two peasants and actually managed to be terribly beaten up by these two because of his bad rolling.
Although the event when our group had to take about four attempts to climb up the ladder to a treehouse (including falling several feet trice) might also qualify.

So long, Arokh.

Behold_the_Void
2008-05-13, 05:49 PM
I rolled about 6 threes in a row once. That was annoying.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-13, 06:03 PM
Father Farras. But you can call him Father Farras. 9-stat system, 3d6 in order, he had a 5 int and 15 will. Everything else was 10 or lower. We decided he was too dumb to notice someone controlling his mind. His second session was spent being raped by a tribe of Amazons(which I decided caused him psychological damage). Everyone in our group loved him, but he just could not catch a break. He repeatedly was severely injured, or found new and interesting ways to be rendered useless by spells. He once was the only member who could escape the island we were stranded on, flew to civilization, and spent a good amount of coin hiring a ship to come rescue his friends. He showed up as they were escaping with a passing ship. He still had to pay the ship. I retired him, brought him back for one session, where a lucky crit one-shotted him. We were not amused.

Alleine
2008-05-13, 11:07 PM
My very first character, a monk. I actually rolled good for his stats, considering he was a monk.
The DM wanted to try us in a mock battle against one of those dinosaurs with a rider, battle titan or something like that. I decide to show off my amazing speed and high initiative roll by running up to him before anyone else. Oh how foolish I was.
His turn, this is just the dino attacking, the rider isn't even participating in the battle, I get hit with every attack, rended and destroyed. It may also have swallowed me whole for good measure. Not sure.

Good thing that battle didn't count for the campaign, my poor monk :(

Cuddly
2008-05-13, 11:27 PM
My own halfling rouge, rolled four 1's in a roll.

Chances of that, 1 in 160,000. Lucky the campain was cut short because we lost and gained players and I never had to ever look at that character ever again.

It was like my character was a retarded midget.

I believe the chance of rolling any series of numbers with unbiased d20s 4 times in a row are 1 in 160,000.

monty
2008-05-13, 11:31 PM
I believe the chance of rolling any series of numbers with unbiased d20s 4 times in a row are 1 in 160,000.

Any particular permutation, yeah. But if you consider, say, 4, 7, 7, 13 to be the same as 13, 7, 4, 7, then the probability increases (In the case of all the same number, though, there's only one combination, so the distinction is irrelevant). In general, a permutation of any four independent events is the product of the probability of each event, in this case (1/20)^4 or 1/160000.

Soup of Kings
2008-05-14, 12:15 AM
Most of my characters are varying degrees of unlucky. I have one that seems to be exceptionally lucky, though. My Elf Ranger, Pellenon Moonblossom. He's never failed a Reflex save. On the other end of the spectrum, though, I routinely roll fireballs and have 5 or 6 of the d6 come up as ones or twos. Also, an interesting story. Our DM rules that once per day, you can call on you deity with a ten per cent chance of success for divine aid. Somehow, we NEVER succeed on those. :smallfrown: Anyway, one session I was getting snarky and the DM told me if I didn't chill, Heironeous would smite me. I argued that he loved me, I was his favorite follower, and he would never smite me. The DM had me make a god call, so I tossed a d20 and it came up 2 (We use 1 and 2 on a d20, or 1-3 on a d30). I got smote. That was a sad day...funny, but sad.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-14, 12:23 AM
One of my systems has similar rules to that. You can get a positive response from your deity if you roll all ones and twos on 3d6, a 1/27 chance. Otherwise, your call is ignored, unless you get straight 6s, in which case you interrupted your god in the shower. a 1-in-216 chance. One day, at the end of a session, we were packing up, as we'd decided there was nothing else we could do to alter events and stop the spirit from escaping. I thought for a minute, literally said **** it, borrowed a friends DI dice as I'd put mine away, and rolled.
6-6-6

I hate DI rolls.

xirr2000
2008-05-14, 12:33 AM
Last Friday we decided to try some of the new 4e rules that people had scrounged up. I decided to play the warlock in the fan created adventure we found online. Now the warlock has +4 to hit, which aint awesome, but aint bad at first level. Although when you can't roll over a 5 all night you are going to pretty much suck for the evening. In our 3rd encounter i managed to finally hit someone, who also had my curse on him so I got to roll and extra 1d6 damage. However, having another die of damage only allowed the fates to mock me further by giving me 2 1's on the damage roll :)

Warlock has a cool, daily power that if you hit you get to move your opponent around against his will. Our last fight had a big fighter looking guy standing right next to a bottomless pit. Time for the warlock to shine right! Nope, rolls a natural 1 and misses an opportunity to prove to the rest of the group why they brought him along.....rest of the fight I think he continued his missing streak. Honestly in the whole night I think he only hit twice. He did not die though.....

Dr Bwaa
2008-05-14, 12:48 AM
one time, while I was DMing, the party monk was making a solo trip to some nearbyish mountains for a few days. And, naturally, forced-marching the whole way. So, I start rolling nonlethal. I pull out my pretty blue die:
That's nine in a row, for those of you who weren't counting. Chances of that happening? 1:10 077 696. Man.
I use that die to roll stats now :smallbiggrin: