PDA

View Full Version : Quick Item Creation Question...

Haakon
2008-05-13, 05:58 PM
I can't remember the exact spell (since I'm away from my SpC), but its the druid spell that increases the enchancement bonus (both the to-hit and the damage, with the damage having a maximum of +10) of a blunt weapon. I believe it's 3rd level and might be called Brambles.

Basically, what I'm looking for is the cost of this item at:
-Caster level 10, can be used by anyone and has 1 charges a day.
-Caster level 10, can be used by anyone and has 2 charges a day.
-Caster level 10, can be used by anyone and has 3 charges a day.

And how exactly you got those numbers.

Thanks.

Cuddly
2008-05-13, 06:11 PM
Brambles lasts 1 hour/caster level. At CL 10, it'll last 10 hours.

Base price:
caster level 10 x spell level 3 x 1,800 command word activated
= 54,000

Market prices i stwice that, or 108k.

Gaiwecoor
2008-05-13, 07:17 PM
Slight modification on what Cuddly said. The base price is correct, if you want it usable as a command word item. The cost will be different if you want it as a number of charges/day. Also, the market price is usually equal to the base price, not double it.

I don't own SpC, so I'll use the stats posted above.

Base Price = Spell Level 3 x Caster Level 10 X 400 * Number of Charges/day.

In this case, the Base Price is the equivalent to the market price.

Now, since I haven't seen anything stating otherwise, I'll assume there's no space limitation on this item. That'll double the price. So the price will be 24000*Charges/day.

I'll include the final market price, price to craft, and XP to craft:

{table]Charges/day|Market Price|Crafting Price|Crafting XP
1|24000 GP|12000 GP|960 XP
2|48000 GP|24000 GP|1920 XP
3|72000 GP|36000 GP|2880 XP[/table]

Nemoricus
2008-05-13, 07:21 PM
Wouldn't that be 12000/ charge per day? EDIT: Oops, base price. Sorry. You have market value.

Nevermind then.

EDIT2: Wait, doesn't charge per day divide the base cost by (5 divided by charges/day)?

slexlollar89
2008-05-13, 07:38 PM
Excuse me, but using the SRD, it says to divide by (5 divided by the number of charges per day). I don't get that... doesn't that increase the price per charge? I figured setting charges would lower the cost as opposed to unlimited uses.

Can someone help me out with this? So command word automatically means infinite uses?

monty
2008-05-13, 07:47 PM
Excuse me, but using the SRD, it says to divide by (5 divided by the number of charges per day). I don't get that... doesn't that increase the price per charge? I figured setting charges would lower the cost as opposed to unlimited uses.

Can someone help me out with this? So command word automatically means infinite uses?

That means you take the base price, divide it by 5, and then multiply it by the number of charges. In other words, 5 charges per day is the same as the base price. 3 charges per day would be 3/5 of the base price, and so on.

Gaiwecoor
2008-05-13, 08:19 PM

As monty said, it's essentially multiplying the cost of a continuous/unlimited item by N/5 (N being the number of times per day it can be used). You don't see the 5 in my calculation above, because I already dealt with that portion of it: 2000/(5/N) = 400*N

Aye, command word means infinite use, unless you do something else to make it a charged item.

Cuddly
2008-05-13, 08:37 PM
Huh.
Cape of the Mountebank is listed as a command word item.

Gaiwecoor
2008-05-13, 10:18 PM
Huh.
Cape of the Mountebank is listed as a command word item.

Yes, yes it is. But if you notice, it's also charged.

Cape of the Mountebank (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#capeoftheMountebank)
On command, this bright red and gold cape allows the wearer to use the magic of the dimension door spell once per day. When he disappears, he leaves behind a cloud of smoke, appearing in a similar fashion at his destination.

Emphasis added. Command word is by default unlimited. It frequently is modified to be a charges/day item, however.

Another example of command word items are weapons with the flaming, frost and other similar abilities. You can activate/deactivate these ones as much as you want throughout the course of the day.

slexlollar89
2008-05-14, 04:59 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! this has been buggin me forever (much to my shame as I consider myself a very experienced player...) Thanks so much guys.