View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 41: Wolaifex vs Grek Thur

ArenaManager
2008-05-13, 08:33 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 41: Wolaifex vs. Grek Thur

Map

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z123/TheChilliGod/Giantitp/Arena4ii.gif

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

Wolaifex - Flymolo (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=50554)
Grek Thur - KCmeir (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=1364)

All gladiators please roll initiative

KCiemir
2008-05-15, 09:24 AM
Sup flymolo. I haven't purchased anything yet, but if you do, I may.

[roll0]

Good luck!

FlyMolo
2008-05-15, 08:11 PM
Do you have money? I've got no money, ergo no purchases.

What square do you start in? I automatically get at least a three for initiative, but I'll roll it anyway. [roll0]

I'm going to start in... W10. It's a good square.

I'm so excited to be playing this guy. I've been waiting and waiting.:smallbiggrin:

KCiemir
2008-05-16, 03:05 PM
I start mounted, filling the entire blue dot.

I will not buy anything. You start.

FlyMolo
2008-05-16, 04:48 PM
Okay, cool. I double move to C9. Your go.

5/6 of the maximum theoretical base land speed at first level? Yes please.

KCiemir
2008-05-19, 12:13 AM
Thanks for waiting.

Grek has his spiked chain out.

Double move to Y/Z 9/10 (auto-success on ride check)

[stats]
AC:14
HP: 11/11
Current Buffs: none
Mounted: yes

MOUNT'S STATS
AC:14/14
HP: 22/22

FlyMolo
2008-05-20, 04:15 PM
I'm holding my sword. It's pointy.

I move to M9 and rage. Your go.

I ready an action. Trigger: My opponent coming within 10'. Action: 5FS towards him, then hit him.

Stats. AC 16, AB +9, damage 2d6+11. M9. hp15/15. Raged 1/9

KCiemir
2008-05-20, 07:47 PM
round 2

move to O/P 9/10

trip attempt!!

[roll0] vs touch AC
[roll1] opposed str check

if trip successful,
[roll2] you get -4 to AC for being prone
[roll3]

Done

EDIT: my stats

HP:11/11
Position: O/P 9/10
current buffs: none
Mounted: yes
mount stats
HP:22/22

FlyMolo
2008-05-20, 09:29 PM
You certainly hit me and probably trip me. I have...26 str raged, so I need a 19 to stay upright.

On the other hand, you triggered my readied action!

I hit you. Hard.

[roll0] AC 14

[roll1] you only have 11 hp...

I did the math for personal edification once. I could kill your horse from a charge 60% of the time.

FlyMolo
2008-05-20, 09:36 PM
I GOT A 4!!!!!!

Whaddya know, I'm Elan. :smallwink:

I'm prone in N9 and take 7 damage. I'm at 10. This sucks. Hmm. Predicated on my failing the trip check!

I have 18+4 racial =22, 26 raged, so a +8.

[roll0]

KCiemir
2008-05-20, 10:14 PM
It really doesn't matter that much, but I think that your attack is invalid. I was a full five feet away, and you don't have reach.

You could not move and attack in one readied action as per the rules
You could not 5' step, as you had already moved the round.

The only real difference is that you are actually prone in M9, not N9.

If you disagree, I can quote SRD.

If, however, you agree that you are in M9, that makes it your turn.

FlyMolo
2008-05-21, 04:48 PM
Arp! You are completely right. That completely invalidates my entire previous action as damn stupid and completely illegal, unfortunately.

Can I get a rewind, or is that pandering to the stupid?

KCiemir
2008-05-21, 05:51 PM
Well, I of course would oppose a rewind, simply because as it is, the situation is almost an assured victory for me.:smallwink:
If you would like a ref review, however, I completely understand.

FlyMolo
2008-05-21, 07:43 PM
Oh, naturally. I think technically I'm good, because I did something impossible, or at the very least illegal.

Also, I'd like to put your build through its paces properly. If you trip me, I basically lose, and if I hit you, you lose. And you've got reach, but There is terrain to be exploited.

I'll go fetch a ref then?

Kyeudo
2008-05-21, 08:18 PM
GM Kyeudo

Hmm. Odd case and I don't recall any precedents. The only illegal action that has occured is Wolaifex's choice of readied action. So, we'll let him change that (the action, not the condition). The only action that Wolaifex could take that would change events majorly would be to move, and that would provoke an AoO. Grek Thur can keep his attack rolls for the AoO in such a case.

I think that should be fair.

KCiemir
2008-05-21, 08:27 PM
Well, I am fine with that.

If Flymolo wants to set his ready action to move, I get AoO, and will make the attack as a trip attempt. It really doesn't change that much, the attack still hit, but I suppose you do get a new roll to resist the trip.

FlyMolo
2008-05-21, 10:12 PM
GM Kyeudo

Hmm. Odd case and I don't recall any precedents. The only illegal action that has occured is Wolaifex's choice of readied action. So, we'll let him change that (the action, not the condition). The only action that Wolaifex could take that would change events majorly would be to move, and that would provoke an AoO. Grek Thur can keep his attack rolls for the AoO in such a case.

I think that should be fair.
Mavianesque.

And people keep forgetting the t.

Give me a sec, my internet is acting up and I don't trust it with rolls atm.

Edit: I hope I'm not being overbearing and annoying(:smalleek:), but I'm not even sure you get an AoO if I move. My original trigger was you coming withing 10', and my readied action takes place an instant before the event that triggers it, right? So you're 15' away when I take my action. As long as I go away from you and not off to the side, I should be fine. I still don't see how to win this one, though.

KCiemir
2008-05-22, 01:24 AM
I don't have any SRD yet, but that doesn't make sense. using sense, which could be wrong, if you were to ready an action to attack if someone came within 5 feet, and you triggered it right beforehand, you could not take your action, because they would be 10 feet away.

Looking for RAW, but those be my thoughts.

FlyMolo
2008-05-22, 06:11 PM
Whee, RAW is on my side, for once.

Readying an Action
You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round. Copy+paste from the SRD here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm)

Knowing me, there's something obvious about this I've missed, but it sure looks like I'm right.

chilepepper
2008-05-23, 05:00 AM
ref chilepepper

If you want it to make sense, think of this situation suchly:

You pick up your foot and shift your weight to enter the square. You're committed to moving to that next square. Before you actually enter that square, your opponent scurries away. Well, at least the part about when the readied action starts makes sense. Kinda funny when you think of yourself, frozen with your foot out, leaning impossibly off balance long enough for your opponent to walk 30' away.

Anyway, the long and short of it is, if the trigger is moving from X to Y, you're still in X as the readied action occurs.

KCiemir
2008-05-23, 11:47 AM
Right, I see that about readied actions.

Still need Flymolo to re-do his readied action (not the trigger, just the action), or to just stand there.

FlyMolo
2008-05-23, 04:23 PM
I flee to the northeast! WEST! I go up the J-rank, ending in J4

And really, it makes a little more sense if I have a 50' base land speed. Because I'm already about as fast as a horse, I may as well have ridiculous reflexes.

KCiemir
2008-05-23, 05:21 PM
Oh! being trixy! going down an ally my horse can't follow! Well, I guess I'll have to go around!

Round 2 (continued)

I had only 50 ft of movement used when he took the readied action, and my attack was illegal, so I will use the remainder of my action to complete a double move to J/K 1/2 by route of the ally between the buildings at P/Q. If I see him at any point along the way, I will change my move.

Need a LoS/ref Check

SamTheCleric
2008-05-24, 07:17 AM
High Ref Sam

@KC
As you circle around the buildings, you see your prey at J4. You notice him when you are in the M/N squares.

@FlyMolo
Oh No! He went down the other alley and came up behind you!

KCiemir
2008-05-25, 02:38 AM
Then I do not change my destination. I end in J/K 1/2, but in moving there, I make sure I am outside his threatened squares.

Stats
HP:11/11
Mounted:yes
Current Buffs: none
mount stats:
HP:22/22

Done

FlyMolo
2008-05-25, 10:33 AM
Alright, I 5FS and attack (you, not your horse.)

[roll0]AC 14 [roll1]

Oh dice gods, let me get a 5 or greater. (Edit: did I just win?)

Bayar
2008-05-27, 12:54 PM
Koto, the tournament ref

Will have to wait for Kciemir's actions, but if he does not post soon, he might get DQ.

KCiemir
2008-05-28, 12:24 AM
Sry, I was looking for an out in this match. That was a sound victory for you.
Also, I couldn't believe I actually forgot about the five foot step! I actually did not think about it when I did actions! *facepalm*:smallfrown:

Bayar
2008-05-28, 07:11 AM
If you think that you are truly dead, I am disapointed in you...

FlyMolo
2008-05-28, 04:51 PM
Sry, I was looking for an out in this match. That was a sound victory for you.
Also, I couldn't believe I actually forgot about the five foot step! I actually did not think about it when I did actions! *facepalm*:smallfrown:

Sorry, that's a bit of an oversight when you're playing a reach build.

I wish I knew where to find that one feat that gave you 10' 5' steps. Yes, really. It was awesome. It was probably illegal, though. Ah well.

Good build, guy. It could have easily beat me.

chilepepper
2008-05-28, 11:15 PM
I wish I knew where to find that one feat that gave you 10' 5' steps.
It's not a feat, it's a magic item. Sparring Dummy of the Master.

FlyMolo
2008-05-30, 07:50 PM
Has this been called officially? Or no?

chilepepper
2008-05-31, 07:55 PM
Officially, no. But the match is over by admission.

SamTheCleric
2008-06-05, 07:26 AM
High Ref Sam

Wolaifex is winner!