PDA

View Full Version : Shopping List for the Power Duo

Kizara
2008-05-13, 08:52 PM
So, my gestalt cleric of zarus (strength, destiny and war) and her IotSV cohort (well, going into IotSV next level) have some decent equip, but I need mooore! I'm about to get a pretty profitable treasure haul.

Builds for both characters:

My cleric (lvl 12):

Side 1: Rogue 2/paladin of tyranny 3/hex blade 4/marshal 1/fighter 2

Side 2: Cleric 10/contemplative 2

Feats: Power attack, Quicken spell, DMM (quicken spell), Extra Turning, Leadership (9th-level), cleave (ftr 1), Improved Sunder (ftr 2), Combat Brute (12th-level).

Her cohort (lvl 10):

Side 1:Ranger 1/(LA 2)/rogue 1/ranger 1/rogue 4/hexblade 1

Side 2: Wizard 10

Feats: Colligate Wizard, Improved Initiative, Scribe Scroll, Rapid Shot (CS), Spell Focus (abjuration), Skill Focus (spellcraft), Vatic Gaze (9th-level), Greater Spell Focus (abjuration) (wiz 10).

Cleric's items: Periphat of Wis +6, +1 heavy fort. fullplate, +1 axiomatic greatsword, Rod of Nightstick x2, Bag of Holding (bag 2), Cloak of Charisma (+6), mw Mighty Composite Longbow (+5 strength).

Cohort's Items: Headband of Int (+6), mw composite longbow and a rather full spellbook.

I don't have access to the MIC (I know, it sucks), Complete Champion or Dragon material. Most other sources are fine. I expect to get about 200,000 in wealth. Items that increase her power/combat potential or that are generally useful are both appreciated.

Current Short List:

Rods:
Absorption 50,000
Immovable Rod 5,000
Enemy Detection 23,500
Splendor 25,000
Security 61,000
Negation 37,000

Rings:
Counterspelling 4,000
Spell Turning 98,280
Spell Storing, Major 200,000

Wondrous Items:
Bead of Force 3,000
Monk’s Belt 13,000
Vest of Resistance +5 25,000
Scabbard of Keen Edges 16,000
Candle of Invocation 8,400
Decanter of Endless Water 9,000
Eversmoking Bottle 5,400
Dimensional Shackles 28,000
Obsidian Steed 28,500
Headband of Int +6 36,000

Ioun Stones
Iridescent 18,000
Pale Green 30,000
Orange 30,000

Manual of XXX +5 137,500
Quiver of Ehlonna 1,800
Sovereign Glue 2,400

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-13, 09:10 PM
Pick up Metamagic Rods, a Boccob's Blessed Book, and a few Cursed Items to give to people you don't like.

And buy a Fighter, you can always use a bundle of disposable HP.

Seriously, a better weapon/armor for your melee Cleric isn't a bad idea, ever. Cloak of Resistance is always vital, and I second the Monk's Belt.

Kizara
2008-05-13, 09:48 PM
Pick up Metamagic Rods, a Boccob's Blessed Book, and a few Cursed Items to give to people you don't like.

And buy a Fighter, you can always use a bundle of disposable HP.

Seriously, a better weapon/armor for your melee Cleric isn't a bad idea, ever. Cloak of Resistance is always vital, and I second the Monk's Belt.

I assume you want the metamagic rods for the wizard, what one(s) would you recomend? Just Quicken? Yea boccob's book is a good call. Ah! I forgot the dust of cheesing and laming.

Permanently hiring a fighter of my levelish (10ish) would be pretty expensive. Not even sure where the rules are for something like that.

I was looking at Vicious, and maybe fleshgrinding (BoVD) on a second weapon, do you have any other recomendation? Cloak of resistance would conflict with my Cloak of Cha, hence the vest of resistance. Although honestly her saves are in the 25-30s, so its more so just to buy something.

But yea, Monk's belt will own.

Thanks for your input.

bigbaddragon
2008-05-14, 07:01 AM
The best thing I can recommend you (off the top of my head) is a sleeping bag designed for casters that lets them rest and restock their spells in an hour or two. I'm AFB right now and can't remember which book is it in but if nobody provides you with its whereabouts I'll look it up in 4 or 5 hours.

The other thing would be Rod of Sculpting (CM I think). Its also listed in MIC with updated price which is now lower.

Keld Denar
2008-05-14, 07:01 AM
Boots of Speed for your melee cleric. Saves your cohorts action hasting just you (assuming you don't have more party members). 10 rounds a day is usually enough if you only use them when you are in full attack range. For your weapon, since you don't have MIC, I'd suggest Vicious or maybe Keen, since a greatsword already has a decent threat range. That'll get a lot more mileage out of your power attack too. An animated shield that you can cast Magic Vestaments on would increase your AC by 7 with almost no drawbacks.

kamikasei
2008-05-14, 07:30 AM
The best thing I can recommend you (off the top of my head) is a sleeping bag designed for casters that lets them rest and restock their spells in an hour or two. I'm AFB right now and can't remember which book is it in but if nobody provides you with its whereabouts I'll look it up in 4 or 5 hours.

Heward's Fortifying Bedroll, in either Complete Mage or the MIC, isn't it?

bigbaddragon
2008-05-14, 08:36 AM
Heward's Fortifying Bedroll, in either Complete Mage or the MIC, isn't it?

That's the one! Its in CM and it costs mere 3000gp and is usable once every three days. Allows you to gain the benefit of full night rest in only one hour.

SoD
2008-05-14, 09:41 AM
Maybe upgrading your weapon to be magebane as well? An extra 2d6 vs all arcane casters, yes please! Of course, in a full plate, you might have trouble reaching them...

Keld Denar
2008-05-14, 10:21 AM
A Medium Rod of Chaining is a vert nice item. If you have friends or minions, being able to cast a Chain Fires of Purity sets your damage per round into the low stratosphere. Nothing like having a small army of people inflicting 1d6+15 extra damage per hit. Heck, this even makes a monk look good, and that's saying something.

Its a good thing.

Chronicled
2008-05-14, 11:52 AM
If you can use the DMG2, put Sudden Stunning on your sword. It costs +2000gp, and lets you (as a swift action after a successful melee attack) force the target to make a DC 10+1/2 your level+Cha mod Reflex save or be stunned for 1d4+1 rounds. Usable Cha bonus times per day. It's stupidly good.

Magebane a top notch choice for weapon enhancement (from Complete Arcane), as is Spell Storing (Bestow Curse is a good option, or one of your cohort's spells), Holy, or even Coup de Grace (Expanded Psionic's Handbook or psionic section of SRD). This thread (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=9231978) rates most of the weapon enhancement options.

I also think an Animated Shield is a great idea. "Free" AC, and depending on your DM you could give it spikes and the Bashing property for another attack (plus, a floating shield smacking your enemies is rather cool). Here's (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=653093) the thread rating the shield/armor enhancements.

A ring of Freedom of Movement is quite nice. I know you can cast it yourself, but this is a spell that's generally better on a ring.

Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=657626) is the thread with the best underpriced items listed. My favorite cheap trick item is Quall's Feather Token (Tree)--400 gp to make a 60ft tall, 5ft around oak instantly appear. Some scrolls of highly situational spells would also do you well, like Water Breathing or Consecrate.

Remember that spreading your money around tends to have a better effect than 1 big item.