PDA

View Full Version : Power attack on a sunder?

Galdor Miriel
2008-05-14, 11:05 AM
Quick question, can you power attack on a sunder to do extra damage, at the cost of maybe missing the weapon????

I should be able to do about 20 points of damage with my adamantine Greatsword on average, which is enough to destroy a +1 weapon normally (though it does depend on the weapon type), but as I will have some big bonuses (+4 size, +4 TH weapon, +4 feat) to sunder against some opponents power attacking would be wise to push my average closer to 30.

I am gearing up for a gladiatorial combat where my cleric has power attack, improved sunder and combat brute. The prize is gold rather than plunder so destroying the competitions gear is right on the cards.

Galdor Miriel

Spiryt
2008-05-14, 11:12 AM
Sunder is an attack action, so you certainly can. However, like you pointed out, sundering is silly easy anyway.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-14, 11:13 AM
Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss.

Galdor Miriel
2008-05-14, 03:37 PM
Thanks guys

its the gladiatorial games in Greyhawk, courtesy of the Age of Worms adventure path that brought this situation on. I am so looking forward to making my hulk cleric shine in the arena. He is using a weird prestige class called the Mighty Contender of Kord that gives me extra strength boosts. I get +8 to str for any four rounds a day. 18 str +4 bull strength + 4 Righteous Might +8 Strength domain = 34, a nice juicy bonus of +12 to hit and +18 damage for four rounds, making a full round power attack a must. Cleric smash!

Da King
2008-05-14, 04:38 PM
Yes, you can do that Make sure your Greatsword is also made out of adamantine, to bypass hardness when you can.

Jimp
2008-05-14, 05:12 PM
Short Answer: Yes.

Long Answer?

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssss.

I laughed so hard at that :smalltongue:

Curmudgeon
2008-05-15, 01:41 AM
Yes, you can do that Make sure your Greatsword is also made out of adamantine, to bypass hardness when you can.
Adamantine only ignores hardness less than 20. At hardness 20 and above adamantine provides no benefit. So any +1 steel weapon with Hardening cast at CL 20 would have hardness 22, and would ignore the first 22 points of damage from each and every sunder attempt you made with your adamantine greatsword.