PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of the Century

kjones
2008-05-14, 11:53 PM
I recently played in a quick pickup game of Spirit of the Century, and had a blast (played as a Gentleman Thief - type character, who turned out to be an incorrigible punster). I'm thinking of buying a copy. Does anyone have experience playing or running this game? I'm specifically wondering how well it holds up to campaigns longer than a few sessions.

Rachel Lorelei
2008-05-15, 01:38 AM
I love SotC. I've played a bunch of times and run it for a while. It's great in basically every way, stands up to longer-term campaigns quite well (it's even easy to add a little "advancement" by adding a couple of aspects and a stunt after every part of the campaign, if you're so inclined).

It's also fairly easy to adapt to non-1920s Scientific Romance settings, as long as it's still pulp and you don't mind fudging a bit. Spirit of Eberron and Spirit of Star Wars are relatively common adaptations; I ran a Spirit of Eberron game myself.

I encourage you to buy a copy of the book. I was skeptical about doing so, given that all the info is availible for free (google "SotC SRD"!), but did so anyway to support the game. It is probably the single best gaming product I've ever bought (since I don't actually own a copy of the Big White Book for Nobilis, and that's more along the lines of being awesome because it's a work of glorious art than as a gaming product). It gives you tons of very useful advice, illustrates how to run the game and the genre, etc. Very much worth the buy.

Reel On, Love played in my game; I'll ask him to take a look at the thread and comment.

Reel On, Love
2008-05-15, 01:43 AM
Yeah, Like Rachel says, I was in her game. It was awesome, I like the system a lot, and the character creation method rocks my socks off.

The book really is pretty good, so I recommend getting it... that way you can loan it to people who're interested, too. It's definitely a worthwhile investment, it's a really fun game that's very well-designed and good at what it does.

zaei
2008-05-15, 04:42 PM
I stumbled upon an in-progress conversion of Iron Kingdoms to FATE back in the day and immediately fell in love with the system. I've unfortunately never gotten to play either FATE or SotC, but from what I've seen it's totally awesome.

Mad Wizard
2008-05-15, 08:47 PM
I stumbled upon an in-progress conversion of Iron Kingdoms to FATE back in the day and immediately fell in love with the system. I've unfortunately never gotten to play either FATE or SotC, but from what I've seen it's totally awesome.

I actually just played in a game much like this: IK to SotC. It was quite enjoyable, I played a bodger with a suit of steam armor. It was fairly easy to learn and I like the stunts system.