PDA

View Full Version : Hellgate: London

Krrth
2008-05-15, 11:14 AM
I recently bought this game, and I'm finding it very enjoyable. It plays a lot like Diablo II. I was wondering if anyone else here has played it, and what your thoughts were.

Mr. Friendly
2008-05-15, 12:35 PM
I recently bought this game, and I'm finding it very enjoyable. It plays a lot like Diablo II. I was wondering if anyone else here has played it, and what your thoughts were.

It looks spiffy, though the whole paying to play online thing bugs me. Plus I heard it was really buggy and kinda sucked.

Krrth
2008-05-15, 12:44 PM
I believe you can play online for free, you just don't get the extra options (like the whole stonehenge set of quests). There are a few bugs, but with the exception of one that makes me save and exit, I haven't really noticed many. Of course, they have patched the hell out of it recently.

Dragor
2008-05-15, 01:05 PM
I didn't like it, I'm afraid. It just didn't engage me in the same way as Diablo II did. It has an absolutely cracking intro, though.

The melee classes are just a bit boring. However, I had amazing fun as an envoker (or is it invoker? I can't remember, it's been a while).

Not the best, but not the worst.

Drascin
2008-05-15, 01:38 PM
I know it. In fact, I am playing it, but I keep being interrupted due to being so damned frustrated with my pathological lack of luck, since I am level 28 and still wearing some greens and utter lack of really good stuff overall, while both of my friends who also got it have found 6 and 3 Uniques each (at levels 25 and 16) and are otherwise almost entirely clad in orange items almost suited to their specific needs. Stupid lucky bastards...

Anyway, the game is awesome. It's like Diablo II, but crossbreeded with a kinda-shooter (as, if you're using distance weapons, you'll probably want first person for easier aiming). It does have some bugs, but they're patching it at a really good rythm.

About characters, I am playing an Evoker and loving it, even if it technically kind of sucks. Tempest is quite the cool ability, that bone lance thingy is all kinds of useful, and I'm still really miffed at the Electric Field nerf in the last patch. I am also regretting not taking Venom Spirit a least a couple levels, as rereading it it looks fairly useful, and a spell with a range of 35 meters would have come really in handy.

All in all, a really interesting game for anyone who liked Diablo.

Krrth
2008-05-15, 01:44 PM
I know it. In fact, I am playing it, but I keep being interrupted due to being so damned frustrated with my pathological lack of luck, since I am level 28 and still wearing some greens and utter lack of really good stuff overall, while both of my friends who also got it have found 6 and 3 Uniques each (at levels 25 and 16) and are otherwise almost entirely clad in orange items almost suited to their specific needs. Stupid lucky bastards...

Anyway, the game is awesome. It's like Diablo II, but crossbreeded with a kinda-shooter (as, if you're using distance weapons, you'll probably want first person for easier aiming). It does have some bugs, but they're patching it at a really good rythm.

About characters, I am playing an Evoker and loving it, even if it technically kind of sucks. Tempest is quite the cool ability, that bone lance thingy is all kinds of useful, and I'm still really miffed at the Electric Field nerf in the last patch. I am also regretting not taking Venom Spirit a least a couple levels, as rereading it it looks fairly useful, and a spell with a range of 35 meters would have come really in handy.

All in all, a really interesting game for anyone who liked Diablo.
Have you been playing the mini-game? You can get all kinds of good stuff from that. That, and break down everything. I've got two orange items on my guardian, at level 15.

Prustan
2008-05-16, 05:22 AM
I've started up one of each, though the Engineer is my favorite. Rather annoyed me that I couldn't upgrade the Drone until I installed the latest patch though. Mainly using Blue items, with some scattered Orange and Green ones, breaking down pretty much everything, and not bothering to identify items that I can't use. As for Uniques, pretty much no luck. Aside from the guarenteed Unique, I have seen a decent one turn up in a Crafter's list (without the materials to make it *sob*), and my Engineer picked up a Mind Control one for the Evoker/Summoner - fat lot of good that did her.

Problem I have is that I've lost the ability to put anything into the first weapon set (F1) for some reason, and have lost a couple of semi-decent belts. Plus building up a decent amount of money takes a LONG time.

leperkhaun
2008-05-16, 05:28 AM
its a fun game, i enjoyed playing it. Its free to play, but they have a premium suscriber option.

I play it when i dont feel like playing xbox or WoW. Im having a good amount of fun with a gaurdian and also a evoker.