PDA

View Full Version : Good online spell list for and Archivist?

monotone
2008-05-15, 04:17 PM
Does anyone know of a good online spell sheet/spell list for a Archivist? Many of the ones that I have seen do not have all the juicy good broken spells in them. What I want is a list that has all the spells that they can cast at the lowest possible level. I have all the books but flipping trough all of them every time I level up is getting tiresome.
Can anyone help me out?
Thanks in advance.

Chronos
2008-05-15, 04:35 PM
The thing about archivists is, with sufficient cheese, you can get any spell at all on their list. Find and make friends with a wizard 19/cleric 1 with the Alternate Source Spell feat. Have him scribe you a few divine scrolls. Presto, you can get any wizard spell as an archivist. Repeat with a Wu Jun 19/cleric 1, etc.

Since the archivist's power depends so much on how much cheese you're willing to tolerate, any suggested spell list for them is also going to depend on your cheese threshold.

Aquillion
2008-05-15, 05:24 PM
The thing about archivists is, with sufficient cheese, you can get any spell at all on their list. Find and make friends with a wizard 19/cleric 1 with the Alternate Source Spell feat. Have him scribe you a few divine scrolls. Presto, you can get any wizard spell as an archivist. Repeat with a Wu Jun 19/cleric 1, etc.
The feat is called Alternate Spell Source, a Dragon Magazine feat. And:

ALTERNATE SOURCE SPELL DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY

I don't know how this myth got started. It's not an interpretation issue; if you actually look at what Alternate Spell Source does, there is absolutely no way it can be interpreted to do what you're implying.

It requires that you have access to arcane and divine spells, and all it does is let you prepare/cast one of your arcane spells using a divine slot, and vice-versa. It doesn't change the type of spells; it lets a cleric / wizard who has access to magic missile from their wizard levels, say, prepare Magic Missile in their level 1 cleric slot, but still as an Arcane spell.

The problem with most of these exploits is that the rules on scribing scrolls are very, very vague. The only thing I could find anywhere in the rules is that the type of scrolls you scribe is determined by your class (not, note, by any property of the spell itself -- so a mono cleric who works on a scroll on their own will always without exception scribe divine spells, that much is obvious.) But that doesn't provide any guidance as to what happens when you have multiple classes, when two different people cooperate on scribing a scroll, or when you have a class like Artificer or Warlock that isn't clearly arcane or divine -- so that usually comes down to DM fiat (although there's an errata for Artificer which clarifies that they, at least, produce untyped scrolls that are neither arcane nor divine.)

Now, based on the exact wording, you could argue that a Cleric / Wizard can just scribe their arcane spells as divine, no feat required (this is silly, but there you have it. The rules were apparently written without multiclassing in mind.) But there's no real way to argue that Alternative Source Spell helps you with this in any way -- it doesn't matter what slot you have your spells prepared in (you don't even have to prepare your spells to scribe them anyway, so what could Alternative Source Spell -- which only applies to preperation -- have to do with scribing anyway?) The only thing that matters is your class.

Chronos
2008-05-15, 06:04 PM
Are we looking at the same feat? (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Alternative_Source_Spell,Dragon) I agree that the feat is pretty clear about what it does: It lets you prepare wizard spells, in wizard slots, as divine, or cleric spells, in cleric slots, as arcane. The feat text even gives an example:
For example, a 1st-level cleric/6th-level wizard casts a divine fireball as a 5th-level wizard.Are you saying that that character in the example, despite having only one level of cleric, is casting a third-level spell from a cleric slot?

Swooper
2008-05-15, 06:22 PM
http://www.emass-web.com/index.php

Ema's Dynamic Charactersheets to the rescue! Just select what sources you have available, select archivist, and bam. All there. <3 Ema's Sheets.

Nohwl
2008-05-15, 07:48 PM
doesnt hexer allow you to get wizard spells as divine ones?

does that character sheet give you access to the spells at the earliest level?

Scaboroth
2008-05-15, 08:10 PM
After studying the wording of the feat, I'm going to have to side with Chronos on the ALTERNATE SOURCE SPELL issue. The example really spells it out (sorry about the punnage, I know, I should be shot like a dog in the street).

Nohwl
2008-05-15, 10:14 PM
what book is alternate source from?

JaxGaret
2008-05-15, 11:09 PM
what book is alternate source from?

If you clicked on the link that Chronos was so kind to post and read the feat entry, you would know that it is Dragon 325.

namo
2008-05-16, 02:41 AM
http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=515321

The Warlock can also theoretically scrive any arcane spell as divine. Then there's the Monastic Servant of Auppenser (google it - it's a semi-official web enhancement for Lost Empires of Faerun) who allows you to get psionic powers as divine spells... *shakes head*

One step below, you can consider the opportunities created by the Divine Bard (in UA) and the Divine Magician (CM) alternate class feature.

Aquillion
2008-05-16, 04:10 AM
Huh. That's what I get for trusting Crystal Keep.

...but I still don't think it works. The only thing that matters when you scribe a scroll, per RAW, is your class:

The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)
That is, seriously, the only sentence I've ever managed to find anywhere that says anything about how the type of a scribed scroll is determined. While it does not explain how multi-classed characters work for this, it does make it clear that your class is the only things that matters, and that whether you consider the specific spell to be arcane or divine is unimportant.

monotone
2008-05-16, 07:32 AM
http://www.emass-web.com/index.php

Ema's Dynamic Charactersheets to the rescue! Just select what sources you have available, select archivist, and bam. All there. <3 Ema's Sheets.

Actually that was the first place I tried. Its wrong on a lot of levels. They think that lesser restoration is a 2nd level spell, etc.

What I want is a source that has all spells at the lowest level without resorting to extreme cheese, (anyspell, alternate spell source, divine bard). Just a filter for all the spells which are cleric, druid, domain spells, ranger or paladin.

namo
2008-05-16, 09:53 AM
Did you see the link I posted ?!

Chronos
2008-05-16, 01:41 PM
Just a filter for all the spells which are cleric, druid, domain spells, ranger or paladin.There are also a lot of useful spells on the Adept list, if you're sticking to Core. And if you're not sticking to Core, you can also get some benefit from Cloistered Cleric, Healer, and Shugenja. Plus, there are a heck of a lot of domains available, if you go with all sources.