PDA

View Full Version : Matchup amongst me buddies

Accountant
2008-05-15, 06:30 PM
Hey guys.

So our usual group has been talking. Come Saturday, about half of us were split between playing dnd or taking a weekend off and playing poker. Then one person got the idea that we compromise - and hold a pvp contest for money. Woah!

It'll be about a 5 dollar "buy in", since we're all high school students without jobs. We're going with ECL 6, 32pt buy characters using WBL. Since there's actually some monetary value in play here, I want something that can take on whatever they should put together.

There are no really big optimizers in our group, and I'm pretty sure we're not limited to any books, just the ones we own (which is most). I think I've got a pretty good shot at winning this, but hearing from my fellow GitP forum goers would be great.

What sort of character should I put together? Anything goes, LA, up to two flaws, the usual scene.

Also, how important is it to have a "DM" to call the shots and make ref calls during these matches?

Thank you all!

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-15, 06:34 PM
WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII IIIZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!

Or tainted sorcerer. Show 'em who's boss, it'll be very easy.

Solo
2008-05-15, 06:47 PM
If only there was some sort of guide as to how to build a uber-caster for this man so that he could ride roughshod over his compatriots...

Behold_the_Void
2008-05-15, 06:56 PM
Since it's fairly low level, casters may not be the best idea since they'll be limited to 2nd level spells (and on that note, Sorcerers are apparently better than Wizards in arena matches).

ToB might be nice for lower levels.

Solo
2008-05-15, 07:03 PM
Since it's fairly low level, casters may not be the best idea since they'll be limited to 2nd level spells (and on that note, Sorcerers are apparently better than Wizards in arena matches).

ECL 6 = 3rd level spells

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-15, 07:06 PM
You kiddin'? The level is 6. They already have third level spells. Destruction is guaranteed for the flightless n00bs.

Though, for bets, there's nothign better than Three Dragon Ante.

Behold_the_Void
2008-05-15, 07:17 PM
...right. My mistake. Sorry, half-asleep.

Xefas
2008-05-15, 07:26 PM
You kiddin'? The level is 6. They already have third level spells. Destruction is guaranteed for the flightless n00bs.

Though, for bets, there's nothign better than Three Dragon Ante.

Well, it depends if there are buffing rounds.

Against another Wizard, even an unoptimized blaster, if you spend your first combat round casting Fly, and he casts a 6d6 Fireball, that's average 21 damage, which might be enough to drop a Wizard at that level.

A Wizard with max hp at first level, and average afterwards, has 16hp before factoring in any constitution bonuses.

However, you're right, in that any Melee characters are completely screwed. Even if they packed a bow "just in case", you can still pull out a Protection from Arrows spell, since they probably won't have wasted money enchanting a secondary weapon.

Anyone with a bad Will save will go down easily to Hold Person + Scythe to the face but, for anti-Wizard, you'll need a Fort-or-die. Any suggestions?

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-15, 09:08 PM
Round Robin, Tourney, or Arena melee? The answer will determine what's best.

Chronicled
2008-05-15, 09:11 PM
Be a druid. At this level, there's hardly anything better.

You say you own most books, but which exactly?

Dragonmuncher
2008-05-15, 09:47 PM
Second on the Druid, especially if you can use the Natural Spell feat.

Also, try to finangle a round or two of "buff" time. People drink their potions, and whatnot.

Hm... try to focus on attacking their weak saves. Attack the Fighter's will, the rogue's fortitude, that kind of thing. If they're blind or crippled or stunned, they won't have any teammates to help them out, and that makes them easy prey.

sonofzeal
2008-05-15, 10:13 PM
Wild Elf Wilder, with Psionic Shot (feat) and Crystal Shard (lvl1 power). Does 10d6 as a ranged touch attack, at 3/4 BAB, at least 6 times per day. Everything else can go into keeping him alive long enough to nuke everything into oblivion.

Human Druid5/Monk1 with Vow of Poverty (and Natural Spell, natch). Wildshape into the pouncing beasty of your choice and rip everything to shreds. Buff yourself with whatever you want if you have time.

CW Samurai with Leadership. Just because.

Healer with maxed Handle Animal and a squadron of rear'd Trexes.

Drow Beguiler with Vow of Peace. You'll be a bitch to kill (SR, +6 AC, weapons shatter against you, permanent Calm Emotions aura), and you can afford to sit back and cast save-or-lose effects until they fail. Just no death effects or things that deal lethal damage.

As to DMs, that'll be essential. Have them determined randomly from the players who arn't fighting, or have one pro player sit out the whole thing.

valadil
2008-05-15, 10:19 PM
I've got a similar game coming up. We're level 5 (so sorcs are out as far as I'm concerned) and it's core only. Each player gets two characters (though we won't get to use both characters in all challenges) Am I a fool for actually considering a melee character for one half my team or should I just go druid and wizard? I'm pretty sure my melee can be any other melee in the group (he one shot sunder almost any non adamantine weapon), but I don't know if anyone else will even bother with a tank character.

Accountant
2008-05-15, 10:24 PM
You say you own most books, but which exactly?

Right. I really don't want to list them all, but just know that we've got access to all spells in the SC and core, all completes sans champion, UA, PHBII... and others. Oh, but not whatever Vow of Poverty's in.

Round Robin, Tourney, or Arena melee? The answer will determine what's best.

I'm pretty sure it'll be randomly drawn bracket-style tourney.

There's a lot of good stuff here, thanks a lot! Also, I happen to have found out that one other person, our usual DM actually, will be playing a wizard. I don't want to duplicate (but will if I have to), so... Any good mage slaying ideas that aren't the mage slayer PrC (Unless that seems like a good idea. I don't think so)?

Ka'ladun
2008-05-15, 10:41 PM
Pun-pun.

It had to be said.

SilentNight
2008-05-15, 10:46 PM
Anyone with a bad Will save will go down easily to Hold Person + Scythe to the face but, for anti-Wizard, you'll need a Fort-or-die. Any suggestions?
Ray of Enfeeblement is a very good suck (no save :smalltongue:) spell and it's only first level.

Chronicled
2008-05-15, 11:00 PM
Right. I really don't want to list them all, but just know that we've got access to all spells in the SC and core, all completes sans champion, UA, PHBII... and others. Oh, but not whatever Vow of Poverty's in.

I'm pretty sure it'll be randomly drawn bracket-style tourney.

There's a lot of good stuff here, thanks a lot! Also, I happen to have found out that one other person, our usual DM actually, will be playing a wizard. I don't want to duplicate (but will if I have to), so... Any good mage slaying ideas that aren't the mage slayer PrC (Unless that seems like a good idea. I don't think so)?

Well, the big thing is: do you have the Monster Manual 3? Because if you do, a Druid with a Fleshraker dinosaur animal companion will decimate just about anything out there. If a caster is your opponent, hold your action to Dispel anything they try to cast while your Fleshraker tears them to shreds. If it's a meleer, cast a disabling spell, or buff yourself and your companion and tag team the guy.

Mirage_of_Deceit
2008-05-15, 11:12 PM
Vampiric Half Dragon Dire Badger Druid because I've always wanted to see it done.

Seffbasilisk
2008-05-15, 11:16 PM
Barbarian!

Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy, Greataxe...

Morandir Nailo
2008-05-16, 12:05 AM
Ditto on the Druid with Fleshraker companion. Take Natural Spell and (if you have several buff rounds) the Greenbound Summoning feat, which gives your summons some stupid-powerful buffs. First, buff yourself and your companion. Then, summon lots of crazy powerful Greenbound critters. Then, Wildshape into a Fleshraker yourself, and have your little strike force charge your opponent. They shouldn't survive that first assault.

Mor

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-16, 12:18 AM
Ditto on the Druid with Fleshraker companion. Take Natural Spell and (if you have several buff rounds) the Greenbound Summoning feat, which gives your summons some stupid-powerful buffs. First, buff yourself and your companion. Then, summon lots of crazy powerful Greenbound critters. Then, Wildshape into a Fleshraker yourself, and have your little strike force charge your opponent. They shouldn't survive that first assault.You should start off as a Fleshraker, and should wait to buff till after you summon a disposable bundle of HP, but yes.

Also, look at Touch of the Golden Ice. If you're going to do Dex damage, might as well go all out.

How broken do you want? I can get you really, slightly, or not at all. Take your pick.

Seffbasilisk
2008-05-16, 12:45 AM
If you're going summoner (always good) go Ashbound as well. One feat, for double duration, and all they all get +3 luck bonus to attack.

Blanks
2008-05-16, 02:08 AM
no advice, but please tell us if you end up richer because of GiantITP :smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2008-05-16, 04:25 AM
I second the comments that you should play a wizard, because they kick ass. But the chances are decent that you'll go up against another wizard or caster of some sort. So, do the initiative blues.

You know the drill, high dexterity, improved initiative feat, nerveskitter, hummingbird familiar. You Shall Go First, or at least firster than the other caster.

Accountant
2008-05-16, 06:46 AM
no advice, but please tell us if you end up richer because of GiantITP :smallbiggrin:

Yeah. Yeah, I definately have. Thanks again everyone.

Right now, I think it would be best to go with summoning. So sould I go then with a wizard or driud or what?

If you're going summoner (always good) go Ashbound as well. One feat, for double duration, and all they all get +3 luck bonus to attack.

Wah! In which book might this feat exist?

Blanks
2008-05-16, 07:39 AM
Yeah. Yeah, I definately have. Thanks again everyone.
No No you misunderstood me, I want to know if you win!
You said you were playing for money, so you will end up richer in a very literal sense :smallcool:

Accountant
2008-05-16, 04:07 PM
No No you misunderstood me, I want to know if you win!
You said you were playing for money, so you will end up richer in a very literal sense :smallcool:

Literally. HA! I like that.

Alright then, I think I've decided to go with druid, focusing on summoning and my animal companion. The thing is, I don't have MMIII, which would be really nice for the fleshraker idea described above. Is it legal for someone to type it for me?

And if so... will someone? :smallsmile:

UserClone
2008-05-16, 05:59 PM
No, and, therefore, probably not.

Inhuman Bot
2008-05-16, 09:49 PM
1. Pun-pun was mentioned. what is he?
2. I think you can afford a scroll of say, shamblers, or the prot. from evil\ gate scroll combo, made in a lord of hell's living room, a run like the wind spell.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-16, 09:58 PM
1. Pun-pun was mentioned. what is he?
2. I think you can afford a scroll of say, shamblers, or the prot. from evil\ gate scroll combo, made in a lord of hell's living room, a run like the wind spell.

1) The Ultimate Power. Hail His Satanic Majesty! (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=491801)

2) CHEEESEEEEEEE! The idea is to win, not to do a Tippy Gaterape.

FlyMolo
2008-05-16, 10:24 PM
Umm, thri-kreen barbarian. Multiweapon fighting(one reach weapon, two greatswords). Leap attack, for sure. Put that +30 racial to use. One level of lion totem barbarian(oh wait, you don't have CC. Neither do I...). Charge and full attack. ! attacks, for ! damage each. Pick up powerful charge for +1d8 if you have the feat space.

And use poison. Drow poison is like 75 gp, for an instant win. Go for it.

Or, my second favorite. Be a Kineticist. Pick up elemental Envoy, for an elemental buddy. This buddy breaks the vial of poison over his head, then charges your enemy. Your buddy is immune. One grapple/successful natural attack later, victory is yours! Give him a pointy stick to break the poison over, if you must. if he rolls a nat 1, he's immune. Break out another vial.

And something else you really must have. Crawling tattoos. For fairly cheap, you can get any third-level or less power manifested on your opponent. Saves apply, except reflex. Entangling ectoplasm is a fun one. Hungry touch is another. Buy them augmented, so you get lots of temp HP. Even if your opponent destroys them with AoOs(unlikely, they have 18 AC and hardness), they'll occupy him while you own him with your own attack methods.

Accountant
2008-05-18, 11:07 AM
Alright! Well, thanks to you guys here at GitP, I am twenty bucks richer! first place. Thanks guys.

Chronicled
2008-05-18, 12:24 PM
Alright! Well, thanks to you guys here at GitP, I am twenty bucks richer! first place. Thanks guys.

Well done! What was your final build, and what did your friends use? Also, if you don't mind describing how each match was won (even something simple like "I cast Entangle and Summon Swarm while my leopard companion hacked him to bits" is helpful), I'd appreciate it.

Accountant
2008-05-18, 02:08 PM
Well done! What was your final build, and what did your friends use? Also, if you don't mind describing how each match was won (even something simple like "I cast Entangle and Summon Swarm while my leopard companion hacked him to bits" is helpful), I'd appreciate it.

It was a lot like that, actually. I ended up going full driud with Augment Summoning, Ashbound, and Natural Spell. The final match was against a raptoran hexblade2/dread necromancer4. Since he used the PHBII hexblade curse familiar variant thing, I dispelled that and waited until he flew close enough to me to throw a tanglefoot bag on him. From there, summoning of multiple crocs + fleshraker animal companion + wildshape...

That was pretty much it. :smallsmile:

Blanks
2008-05-19, 02:40 AM
Congratulations :cool: