View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 40: Zanzabar vs Jaras

ArenaManager
2008-05-15, 08:22 PM
Arena Tournament, Round 40: Zanzabar vs. Jaras

Map

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q76/NamelessOne_album/SinkingIsland.jpg

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

Zanzabar - edroux (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3771)
Jaras - Stupnick (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=48867)

All gladiators please roll initiative

edroux
2008-05-15, 09:37 PM
With two of my measly 3 remaining gp, I will purchase 20 crossbow bolts.

Initiative:
[roll0]

stupnick
2008-05-16, 05:04 PM
I am re-training imrpoved initiative to two weapon fighting.

i will then be purchasing items, going to look

Initiative=[roll0]

stupnick
2008-05-16, 05:17 PM
ok purchasing

6 alchemist fire
6 acidic fire

Acidic Fire
(Eb p121)
(Eb p46)+
Grenade-like weapon with a 10’ range increment.
Acidic Fire does 1d4 Fire damage & 1d4 Acid damage on a direct hit. On a direct hit, the target takes
an additional 1d4 Fire damage if he doesn’t take a Full Round Action to put himself out with a Reflex
save vs. DC 15 (+2 if he rolls on the ground).
On a splash, the target takes 1hp Fire damage & 1hp Acid damage.

Actions

i will start N25 with 1 acidic fire and 1 alchemist fire in each hand.
i will run to U17.

stats

HP: 6
AC: 17 T: 15 F: 13
In Hands: 1 Acidic Fire, 1 Alchemist Fire
Effects: None

your go

edroux
2008-05-17, 09:25 AM
I thought you had to level up to use retrain?

stupnick
2008-05-17, 10:48 AM
hrm.. ok if that's true, then i don't do that.. i wasn't aware you had to level. let me go reread that section. or if you could point out where that was said

stupnick
2008-05-17, 11:00 AM
ok correct... i didn't read the first section, just the retraining feats section..

no wories, improved initiative is back.

edroux
2008-05-17, 12:38 PM
No big. I was just gonna take a look at my feats if we could retrain without levelling. :smallbiggrin:

I probably won't be posting again until Monday morning, so go ahead and take your turn when you're ready.

stupnick
2008-05-17, 01:08 PM
i did take my turn in post 4, your up

chilepepper
2008-05-19, 01:30 AM
ref chilepepper

Stupnick
Run

You can run as a full-round action. (If you do, you do not also get a 5-foot step.) When you run, you can move up to four times your speed in a straight line (or three times your speed if you’re in heavy armor). You lose any Dexterity bonus to AC unless you have the Run feat.

You can run for a number of rounds equal to your Constitution score, but after that you must make a DC 10 Constitution check to continue running. You must check again each round in which you continue to run, and the DC of this check increases by 1 for each check you have made. When you fail this check, you must stop running. A character who has run to his limit must rest for 1 minute (10 rounds) before running again. During a rest period, a character can move no faster than a normal move action.

You can’t run across difficult terrain or if you can’t see where you’re going.

A run represents a speed of about 12 miles per hour for an unencumbered human.

Those cliffs prevent you from running that path.
Stupnick's move was illegal, so it needs to be redone.

stupnick
2008-05-19, 10:44 AM
Action (i disagree, but that's fine, reposting action)

move to u16, which is a straight line, and isn't partially blocked, i assume you weren't saying you can't run up hill.

edroux
2008-05-19, 12:04 PM
My turn!

Zanzabar Round 1

Start in M2, crossbow in one hand and smokestick in the other.
Double move to F10.

End turn.

Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
EDIT: These were included just in case they become necessary. I'm going to assume that you're hiding and moving silently, so this way we won't have to hold up the match for me to roll a reactive spot and listen check when you jump out of the shadows and napalm me in the face.

Stats:

HP: 8/8
AC: 17
Position: F10

stupnick
2008-05-19, 12:42 PM
Round 2

Actions

sorry ref's...i was upset b/c i used the wrong language, planning my action this round, i realized i did a double move, but i said run.

Hide [roll0]
Move Silently [roll1]

move 3 squares north to U15

stats

Effects: Hidden and Moving Silently

your go

edroux
2008-05-19, 01:12 PM
Zanzabar Round 2

Actions:

Double move to K17.

End turn.

Stats:

Position: K17

stupnick
2008-05-19, 01:32 PM
Round 2

Actions

while sneaking i will double move to T10, total of 30ft, 15 per move.
[roll0]
[roll1]

stats

your go

edroux
2008-05-19, 02:24 PM
Zanzabar Round 3

Single move to G14.
Standard action to activate smokestick - smoke occupies G13, G14, H13, H14.
Free action to fall prone.

End turn.

Stats:

Position: G14 - prone

stupnick
2008-05-19, 02:58 PM
Round 4

Actions

standing in T10, i will take a free action and peek above and look around.

LOS check please

getting LOS check

FlyMolo
2008-05-19, 05:40 PM
Initiate ref (Fly)Molo

Stupnick: It's a move action to look around, but that only allows another spot check. You automatically make passive checks for things you should see. Usually refs roll them for you. If you really want to see things, you should make a jump check to get your head up to a place where you can see. Still a move action, but can be part of a larger moving around move action. In any case, you see a big cloud of smoke. Using your patented Depth Perception (TM) you deduce it's over by G13-H14. It's square. Because everything in the arens is square, even the people.

edroux Your name is french? Edro? Edru? In any case, you don't see jack squat. Smoke everywhere.

stupnick
2008-05-19, 07:15 PM
Round 4 Continued

Actions

move to R9 and remain hidden
[roll0]
[roll1]

ready action to throw a flask at him if i can see him

stats

your go

edroux
2008-05-20, 07:10 AM
Zanzabar Round 4

Actions:

Standard action to invoke Earthen Grasp in E15.
Move action to try to spot my opponent. [roll0]

End turn.

Spot: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]

Stats:

Earthen Grasp #1 (1/2)
HP: 3/3
AC: 15
Hardness 4
EDIT: Position: E15

SamTheCleric
2008-05-20, 08:13 AM
High Ref Sam

@edroux
Smoke is cloudy. And that's all you see.

@Stupnick
Like a blind man in an orgy... you're going to have to feel your way through this. (No LoS :smallwink:)

stupnick
2008-05-20, 11:56 AM
Round 5

Actions

Maintain position and readied action to attack if i can see him w/o any concealment.

Stats

Effects: Hidden (30) and Moving Silently (28)

your go

edroux
2008-05-20, 12:52 PM
Zanzabar Round 5

Actions:

Standard action to invoke Earthen Grasp in F15.

And because I'm not directing them to attack anything in particular because (I assume) I still can't see my opponent, the Earthen Fists will randomly attack a square they can reach.

#1 has five choices, starting in D14 and moving clockwise, he attacks square number [roll1].
Attack: [roll2]
Grapple: [roll3]

#2 has four choices, starting in E14 and moving clockwise, he attacks square number [roll4].
Attack: [roll5]
Grapple: [roll6]

End turn.

Spot: [roll7]
Listen: [roll8]

Stats:

Earthen Grasp #1 (2/2)
Hardness 4
Position: E15

Earthen Grasp #2 (1/2)
Hardness 4
Position: F15

stupnick
2008-05-20, 01:15 PM
Round 6

Actions

Maintain position and readied action to attack if i can see him w/o any concealment.

Stats

ref's

Now, just for clarification in the thread.
i can move to let's say Q14, and since the smoke is there, i can continue to hide, since i have concealment from him, since he is in the smoke.

A bank of fog billows out from the point you designate. The fog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can’t use sight to locate the target).

A moderate wind (11+ mph) disperses the fog in 4 rounds; a strong wind (21+ mph) disperses the fog in 1 round.

now, does that mean that until he get's farther than 10ft from the smoke we both have total concealment from eachother?

also assuming there is no wind what so ever here in the arena, so no chance of the disperal of the fog, correct?

your go, question is just extra, doesn't pertain to anything at this point in time.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-20, 01:22 PM
@Zanzabar
Your earthen arms flail at the water and go "splash splash". The sharks eye them hungrily and confusedly

@Jaras
So long as there is at least 5' of smoke between you, you may continue to make hide checks. Now, if he were to step out of the smoke on any side and happen to see you, you would lose all benefits of concealment, including your ability to hide. So long as he is in the smoke... you're inveeeesible (as long as you continue to roll that well on your hide checks).

As for dispersing the smoke, I believe that there is no wind, so the smoke will not disperse... the entry for a smokestick says it disperses naturally, but gives no indication as to when that happens

edroux
2008-05-20, 01:24 PM
Zanzabar Round 6

Actions:

Earthen Fist #1 disappears.
Standard action to invoke Earthen Grasp in J17.

And because I'm not directing them to attack anything in particular because (I assume) I still can't see my opponent, the Earthen Fists will randomly attack a square they can reach.

#3 has eight choices, starting in I16 and moving clockwise, he attacks square number [roll1].

#2 has five choices, starting in E14 and moving clockwise, he attacks square number [roll4].

End turn.

Stats:

Earthen Grasp #2 (2/2)
Hardness 4
Position: F15

Earthen Grasp #3 (1/2)
Hardness 4
Position: J17

stupnick
2008-05-20, 01:35 PM
Round 6

Actions

Stats

ref's

ok, 2 things.
1. hide checks should be irrelevant, b/c he can't see out of it, i am assuming. so b/c i have total concealment i don't need to hide.
2. when he does step out, yes he can see me, but if i have a readied action to attack him, would he be flatfooted against my attack, and thusly warrent a sneak attack?

your go

SamTheCleric
2008-05-20, 01:45 PM
@Stupnick
You have total concealment... not total cover. Fog Cloud only obscures sight, not blocks it. A hide check is required if you don't want him to pinpoint you. Because the smoke offers concealment relative to your opponent, you can continue to make hide checks.

As to the sneak attack question.. That's a little tricky. You've readied to hit him when he doesn't have concealment. By not having concealment, you don't have it either... negating the concealment required for being hidden. By strict interpretation of RAW, no, your target would not be flat footed from the attack. However, you may want to get a second opinion on that.

edroux
2008-05-20, 01:46 PM
Zanzabar Round 7

Actions:

Earthen Fist #2 disappears.
Standard action to invoke Earthen Grasp in K17.

#3 has seven choices, starting in I16 and moving clockwise, he attacks square number [roll1].

#4 has five choices, starting in J16 and moving clockwise, he attacks square number [roll4].

End turn.

Stats:

Earthen Grasp #3 (2/2)
Hardness 4

Earthen Grasp #4 (1/2)
Hardness 4

SamTheCleric
2008-05-20, 01:48 PM
@Zanzabar
Your arms flail helplessly.

@Stupnick
You see small arms made of earth in J17 and K17 (the one in J17 appeared last turn, but I didn't think to let you know of that). They appear and seem to attack the squares next to them.

stupnick
2008-05-20, 02:00 PM
Round 8

Actions

Move to Q12,
[roll0]
[roll1]
Ready Action to attack him if i can see him with 20% concealment or less.
(this way i get my sneak attack : )

Stats

Effects: Hidden (up above) and Moving Silently (up above)

your go

edroux
2008-05-20, 02:13 PM
Zanzabar Round 8

Actions:

Earthen Fist #3 disappears.
Standard action to invoke Earthen Grasp in J17 (named #3 for ease).

#3 has seven choices, starting in I16 and moving clockwise, he attacks square number [roll1].

#4 has five choices, starting in J16 and moving clockwise, he attacks square number [roll4].

End turn.

Stats:

Earthen Grasp #3 (1/2)
Hardness 4

Earthen Grasp #4 (2/2)
Hardness 4

stupnick
2008-05-20, 02:32 PM
Round 9

Actions

Stats

Effects: Hidden (30)

your go, im just sitting in my hidden spot waiting for you to do something.. i am just copying the same thing over and over..

edroux
2008-05-21, 07:32 AM
You too, huh? Time to change tack, I guess.

Zanzabar Round 9

Move action to stand.
Standard action to invoke Earthen Grasp in I14. (I'm going to assume you're nowhere near the other one and just say that it misses you. I'm also naming this one #1 to make life easy for me.)
If there's anything in that tile, it will attack and attempt to grapple it. Otherwise, starting with [square] and moving clockwise, it will attack square number [roll0].
Attack:[roll1]
Grapple:[roll2]

Stats:

Position:

Earthen Grasp #1 (1/2)
Hardness 4
Position: I14

stupnick
2008-05-21, 10:02 AM
Round 10

Actions

Stats

Effects: Hidden (30)

your go

edroux
2008-05-22, 07:57 AM
Okay, I'm going to assume you can see me. I'm not making any effort to hide or anything. Also, I have a suspicion about something, so here's the first part of my turn.

Zanzabar Round 10
Move from G14 to H14 to H13 to G13 then back to H14.

I'll post the rest of my move after I see what happens.

stupnick
2008-05-22, 10:23 AM
well your in a fog cloud. so i can't... any one that is farther than 5ft from it, there is total concealment as long as your in it. once you step out, and you are w/in 5 ft of it, you only have 20% concealment.

i think that is the way the spell reads, correct me if i am wrong.
but where you are at, unless i am next to your position, i can't see/target you : )

but then again you can't see/target me

edroux
2008-05-23, 08:36 AM
It was my understanding that when you're in the cloud, or outside looking in, you can see where people are, just not well enough to hit them reliably. I know that my LOS in my last match was established while I was inside a cloud, as well.

At any rate, I have 10 feet of movement left, so I'm going to take 5 feet of it to move outside the cloud to I14. I'll take the rest of my movement and action after I see what I see.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-23, 08:41 AM
High Ref Sam - Summoned from the Abyss using a Summon Ref 1 spell.

Smokestike provides an effect similar to a fog cloud spell.

A bank of fog billows out from the point you designate. The fog obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 5 feet. A creature within 5 feet has concealment (attacks have a 20% miss chance). Creatures farther away have total concealment (50% miss chance, and the attacker can’t use sight to locate the target).

Since it grants you concealment, you can make hide checks inside the smoke. The trickier part is the last sentence, "the attacker can't use sight to locate the target".

If you are more than 5' away from each other... you have total concealment, which means...

Total Concealment
If you have line of effect to a target but not line of sight he is considered to have total concealment from you. You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies. A successful attack into a square occupied by an enemy with total concealment has a 50% miss chance

Rules lawyer as you see fit, gentlemen.

@Stupnick
You can't sneak attack more than 30 feet away (which the smoke is), and you can't sneak attack someone that has ANY form of concealment. If he steps out of the smoke, you aren't hidden vs him, so you wouldnt get your sneak attack for being hidden, as there is no cover or concealment to hide in.

@Zanzabar
What squares is your smoke in?

edroux
2008-05-23, 08:52 AM
@Sam, everyone:
Smoke occupies G13, G14, H13, H14.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-23, 08:55 AM
@Stupnick
When he moves to H14 he loses total concealment and drops to only Concealment. That was your trigger for your readied action, so you may take it now if you choose, if not... please let me know so I can describe line of sight for his move to I14. Q12 to H14 is 45 feet which is 4 full range increments, -8 to attack and no sneak attack because of distance.

@Zanzabar
Hold on, getting clarification on some things

stupnick
2008-05-23, 10:25 AM
@Sam

correct about the 30ft sneak attack thing, i completely forgot that. but, it is not 4 range increments, i have farshot which makes my range 20ft.. so it's 20/40/60/80/100... so it's only -4

so my attack roll
[roll0]
[roll1] 1-20 misses.
[roll2]
[roll3] with north being 1, and moving it's way around
[roll4] 1 meaning he still takes 1 splash damage

this is the alchemist fire flask
and i don't believe i am allowed to snipe as a readied action, but if i him my hide roll [roll5]

SamTheCleric
2008-05-23, 11:44 AM
High Ref Sam

As you step into H14 a glass vial of Alchemist's fire flies at you, narrowly missing you and skipping off to the north. When you step out of the smoke at I14, you see Jaras in Q12.

Play resumes with Zanzabar.

edroux
2008-05-23, 12:29 PM
Arighty then. Time to put my hope in the one hit wonder.

Zanzabar Round 10 - continued
Expend psionic focus and attack with Eldritch Blast.
Attack vs touch: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

End turn.

Stats:

Position: I14

stupnick
2008-05-24, 08:01 AM
well if everything is legit in here, you got me.

edroux
2008-05-24, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I was just waiting to see if you had any tricksy hobbit tricks up your sleeve before I posted to get it called. GG stupnick.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-24, 07:05 PM
High Ref Sam

Zanzabar is the winner by way of Smoky Glass Cannon! Please collect your prizes at the door.