PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Computer Problems Thread

TigerHunter
2008-05-15, 08:25 PM
Two friends of mine have been having computer problems that I have no idea how to solve.

Friend 1: Still running an ancient computer with Windows 2000 on it. When the computer is starting up, a picture of a shirtless boxer will show as the desktop background, then change to the actual background after login. Friend does not want the boxer to show up.
Things I've tried:
Deleting the boxer picture from the hard drive (can't find it).
Changing the desktop background again.

Friend 2: Running a shiny new laptop with Vista. Installed a (legally purchased) copy of Sims 2, but misplaced the installation code. Went online and got a pirated installation code, which didn't work and instead caused the computer to refuse to run the Sims installer, probably due to copy-protection software.
Things I've tried:
None yet.
Things I've thought about trying:
Reinstall the OS and contact customer support about getting a replacement installation code.

Anyone more knowledgeable than me have any ideas on how to solve either of these problems?

RandomLogic
2008-05-15, 09:50 PM
Please don't reinstall an OS because of a game not working. Usually thats the last straw. Consider checking out EA's site to see if they have a way to replace lost codes. I know some companies do this but some do not. If all else fails, find a better code!

I don't remember why that happens, but I know its happened to me. What you should do is cycle through desktop backgrounds. Set some picture that isn't the boxer to the background, and then set the picture they WANT as the background. And I think that should 'reset' the background stuff.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-16, 12:28 AM
Friend 1
First of all :
Ask if they have firewall(That exists on windows 2000, yes) running most of the time?
Run a virus scan(With Avast preferably) of all stations. It might be some weird virus.

Friend 2 :
Check producer's site if you can find any of the problems. If there isn't a solution there :
Let your friend contact Sims(or who the heck made Sims) customer support and explain his situation with you in the background on his pc, ready to follow any instructions(though your friend can do so himself)

Be wary of my advice though, I never had any of these 2 situations.

Dumbledore lives
2008-05-16, 12:36 AM
For the first friend there is away to set the picture there but I forget how, I think I can find out how though, should just take a few days before I see him again.

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-16, 12:38 AM
Friend 1 - No, there is no native firewall in Windows 2000. Even if there was, that wouldn't do this. Here's what you do. Go to where you selected your desktop background. Select "None" and click "Apply" then reselect the one you actually want to use.

Friend 2 - Not sure about this one, but try uninstalling the game, then running a registry cleaner application. How to get a new install code is something I've not had to deal with, but contacting the vendor sounds like the best bet to me.

Dallas-Dakota
2008-05-16, 12:40 AM
Friend 1 - No, there is no native firewall in Windows 2000.

Not? I thought there was...

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-16, 12:42 AM
DD - Nope, sorry. That started with XP. There are lots of firewalls available, but none that are native.

*points at DD*

:smalltongue:

DanielX
2008-05-16, 01:18 AM
Friend 1 - make absolutely certain that you've changed the pictures appropriately to something obviously not it (go into desktop background and change it, several times). Also, do a hard disk search for any common file extensions for desktop background images (probably .bmp for Windows 2000) - that may take some time.

There could also be some type of not-actually-malicious software doing this intentionally; I would not know what, unless I did a bit of research and poking around.

If nothing works, it could be malware/a virus. In which case, try anti-virus software, or (last resort) backing up data files (and only data files) and doing a wipe/reinstall or the 'maybe its time to switch to Linux' speech (does not work well if your friend is a gamer, a relative newbie with computers, or has certain types of hardware though :smallfrown:) .

Friend 2 - I don't know, as I have never installed anything in Vista, or attempted to use pirated install codes. I wouldn't recommend using Vista to begin with. :smallyuk:

Zeb The Troll
2008-05-16, 01:31 AM
Just for giggles, here's a MS KB article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/236369/en-us) that talks about what I described and how it probably happened in the first place.

Ivius
2008-05-16, 11:43 AM
Maybe you should try Linux?

TigerHunter
2008-05-16, 04:33 PM
Friend 2 - I don't know, as I have never installed anything in Vista, or attempted to use pirated install codes. I wouldn't recommend using Vista to begin with. :smallyuk:
Solution to all Vista problems:
1. format c:
2. Install XP

Maybe you should try Linux?
I'd recommend Mac before Linux.

Thanks for the replies, all. I'll try out these solutions.

The Valiant Turtle
2008-05-16, 06:26 PM
Friend 2 may have some luck using Vista's system restore feature, possibly in combination with a registry cleaner as was recommended earlier.

DanielX
2008-05-16, 06:54 PM
Solution to all Vista problems:
1. format c:
2. Install XP

Yep, that's one way to solve Vista problems. Doesn't do a thing for XP problems though. :smalltongue:

I'd recommend Mac before Linux.

Yes, but Macs cost money, and Linux usually doesn't, at least not much. :smalltongue: Last time I did a fresh install of Ubuntu (7.04) I paid exactly one blank CD-R, and the upgrade to 7.10 didn't even need that.

Granted, Linux has plenty of its own problems, especially if you go for one of the more recondite distros. Even Ubuntu has its quirks, but its generally pretty good and the install is faster/easier than Windows now. The biggest problems involve the lack of support for a lot of hardware and software, more hardware nowadays.

Ivius
2008-05-16, 11:09 PM
Well, a lot of what makes me like Linux so much isn't really that it's gratis, but much more that it's libre. An operating system is useless if you can't hack it yourself (In the old sense of the word; if I wanted an operating system that I could crack myself, I'd use windows, hands down :smallamused:). But that doesn't mean very much if you aren't a programmer; though you can still benefit from the usual $0 price tag for most linux distros, and you also get a lot out of the how secure and stable the OS is from the crazy number of people who volunteer on it.