PDA

View Full Version : List of Reasons for PCs to Work Together

StoryKeeper
2008-05-15, 08:42 PM
In most cases, the GM is able to create a plot which reasonably compels PCs to work together. Perhaps the world will explode if they don't stop the BBEG, and only a diverse and skilled group can save the world. That's great. Once. But when the GM creates a plot that doesn't have obvious repercussions for every PC in the party, sometimes players are forced to just grin and follow along for no good reason or else act in character and miss out on the adventure.

To help with this problem, I ask that we create a list of possible reasons (ranging from background related to plot related) that the group of characters the PCs are creating would work together.

Some ideas:
1. Same Guild- all the party members are part of the same guild or organization, and have orders from higher up to work together and complete whatever mission the GM wants done.
2. Mercenary Team- similar to above. The party has realized that it is more lucrative for them to work together. This should hold them together until someone decides to backstab the team for a quick payoff. The first session could consist of the party realizing the strengths of each other, and perhaps giving them the opportunity to somehow combine their abilities (grease then melee attack for instance.)
3. Legendary Artifact- The PCs have all heard of a powerful artifact(s), and each has his own reason for wanting to possess it (them). They decide to work together to obtain it. Perhaps a counter-party is also seeking this item.

UglyPanda
2008-05-15, 08:50 PM
4. Chain gang - All of the PCs are prisoners, forced to work off some debt.
5. Marooned on an island - The PCs are in a situation where they're the only other people who they can ask for help.
6. Massive Family - All of the PCs are related. This restricts what races the PCs may choose, barring adoption.
7. Apocalypse - It's the end of the world. The PCs have to work together or they'll all die.
8. Revenge - All of the PCs wish to kill the BBEG for different reasons.
9. Worldwide contest - The PCs are members of the same team in an international competition.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-05-15, 08:54 PM
10: Old friends. The PCs all grew up in the same village, and travel together because they like each other.
11: Similar short-term goals. The PCs all need to get somewhere/away from something/stop something. By the time they do so, they should want to stick together.

Cainen
2008-05-15, 08:56 PM
12: The tavern that the adventurers meet in is really a sentient, hollow construct, and is subtly influencing their thoughts.

Xefas
2008-05-15, 09:00 PM
The best defense against this is just to sit down with the players and discuss what the campaign is going to be about and ask them to all create characters with motives that will mesh with each other and the plot.

Also, the DM needs to not be afraid to tell a player "No" when they present their Chaotic Evil Catgirl Ur-Priest for play in your Exalted-Good Lets-Save-the-Gods All-Human campaign.

Especially don't fall into the trap of them saying "But, really, I cast Misdirection on myself at the beginning of every day, and pretend to be a Lawful Good Cleric of Pelor so that no one will suspect I'm actually Eeeeeevil in disguise." It invariably ends with that person going "Well, of course I save the orphans! Then no-one will suspect that I'm actually Eeeeeevil" or "Well, of course I decline the money and go to worship at the temple of Pelor. Then no one will suspect I'm actually a mysotheistic bastard-caster whose also Eeeeeevil".

Or, more likely, they'll just do something obviously evil, and when the Detect Evils bounce off, and the party beats them to death, they'll complain that they're being treated unfairly.

In the end, it'd be just as easy/easier to play a Lawful Good Cleric of Pelor.

Adjust words to each situation.

------------
And just to make sure I'm on topic:

13. "I'll be the one to kill you!". A classic. Two or more of the party members are sworn enemies with mutual respect for one another. They're working together just long enough for the world to be saved, and covering each others' back so that, at the end of it all, they'll be able to have their final showdown to the death with no regrets.

EvilElitest
2008-05-15, 09:03 PM
12: The tavern that the adventurers meet in is really a sentient, hollow construct, and is subtly influencing their thoughts.

The world inn anyone?

14) Same religion on a pilgrimage or a crusade
from
EE

TheThan
2008-05-15, 09:03 PM
15. Super Sentai group!
16. Lived in the same town (good if you’re going to blow it up, which every Dm has the right to).
17. Work for the same shady (or not so shady) organization/person.
18. Shanghaied!
19. Mission from god (insert obligatory blues bros. Joke here).
20. Soul bound (no one can be more than… say, a mile apart at the most, forcing them to stay together).
21. Wrong place, right time. (or is that wrong place wrong time?)

edit

took xd6 ninja'd damage

Jack_Simth
2008-05-15, 09:10 PM
22: Alignment:
Lawful Aligned: Habit. You've been supporting this group, and will continue to do so until you have a good reason not to do so.
Neutral: It's a rather dangerous world we live in... and these guys have demonstrated they can watch my back. I'll keep them there for now.
Chaotic: Man some interesting stuff happens around these guys....

Ralfarius
2008-05-15, 09:54 PM
23: Various social pariahs that no one else will have! It also explains why they want to make a living kicking in doors and slaughtering the unsuspecting dwellers within... Err, I mean adventuring and dungeon delving.

Waspinator
2008-05-15, 10:02 PM
24: Divine Intervention

A mystical being known only as the Dee'em appeared before each of them in a dream and told them that they must work together for the greater good (and plotline).

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-15, 10:04 PM
25. Everyone else in the world wants to kill them.
26. Everyone else in the world is great for a gag, but you need assistance
27. Everything tends to blow up around the party. The safest place is in the eye in the storm.
28. You all met in a bar, it was fated that you were supposed to be a party and it's a bad idea to fight that.

Nohwl
2008-05-15, 10:21 PM
29. GM threatens to kill everyones character if you dont form a group.

i dont like that way much.

StoryKeeper
2008-05-15, 10:27 PM
Psst! You listed your reason as 28. We already have one of those :smallwink:.

Nohwl
2008-05-15, 10:29 PM
i think we need 2, but ill change it if you want.

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-15, 10:36 PM
I got ninja'd. Wasn't his fault :P

30. The characters have repeated visions of spiders bursting out of their skin, which then proceed to threaten that unless players work together, something they wouldn't like would happen.

Flewellyn
2008-05-15, 10:37 PM
Let x = last number used.

x + 1: Each party member has, by chance, one part of a treasure map. Only together can they assemble it, and it's in their best interest to work together to find the treasure and split it.

x + 2: A merchant has hired each of them, independently, to act as protection for a voyage. They can continue to work together, or not, after it's done.

x + 3: They're trapped in a recursive time loop, and must work together to escape.

x + 3: They're trapped in a recursive time loop, and must work together to escape.

x + 3: They're trapped in a recursAAAAGH!

x + 4: Their minds are actually fragments of a more powerful, collective consciousness, which is trying to reassemble itself.

SilentNight
2008-05-15, 10:41 PM
31.Geas/Quest
32.The DM is the one who brings the pizza.
33.The children of the PC's (who hate each other) have eloped and must be pursued. Leads to some interesting role-playing.
34.The PC's are all past or future versions of themselves and if one dies X number of them pop out of existence.
35.Same military company. The PC's are all part of a big army.

slexlollar89
2008-05-15, 10:47 PM
30. you intend to betray for insert x resaon the party, so work for them in the meantime (this happened to my game once, turns out one player was the BBEG!)

31. everyone is imbibing nefarious and/or illicite materials

32. They felt like it (I can't believe no one has said this one!)

Waspinator
2008-05-15, 10:52 PM
They're all stuck in a hypercube and need to work together to escape:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79135

CockroachTeaParty
2008-05-15, 11:54 PM
38. One of the PCs is of noble blood, but escaped to seek a life of adventure. The rest of the party are his or her close friends, and perhaps one of them secretly communicates with the noble family, making sure he/she remains safe. Think the Dagger/Steiner dynamic from Final Fantasy IX.

39. The PCs are all childhood friends. One of their closest friends has recently died, and they all decide to head off to adventure / seek glory / find revenge in his memory.

40. The PCs are the children of famous adventurers. They decide to work together and follow in their footsteps, clear their name, discover what happened to them after a mysterious disappearance, etc.

41. One of the PCs joined one of the other PCs because he/she is in love with him/her. Another party member joins because he/she is in love with the first, forming a love triangle that binds the party together, however precariously.

42. A formerly evil PC joins a group of noble adventurers to atone for his past deeds. The other PCs allow him to stay in hopes of helping him seek redemption, or perhaps because they are suspicious he may turn to evil once again, and they want to be present to stop him just in case.

Soup of Kings
2008-05-16, 01:54 AM
43. They're forced to work together for an adventure due to some circumstance beyond their control, and decide to stick together just because it went so well/they had fun/they work well together, etc.

Borrowed it from a first level free adventure on WoTC's site :smallbiggrin:

Maxymiuk
2008-05-16, 03:42 AM
33.The children of the PC's (who hate each other) have eloped and must be pursued. Leads to some interesting role-playing.

YOINK!

44. Each character has to go into dangerous territory for his/her own reason, and in a group they stand a better chance of survival.
45. Mutual enemy. Once again, strength in numbers and all that.
46. Werewolves attack.

John Campbell
2008-05-16, 12:44 PM

Especially if there are more than four PCs!

Muz
2008-05-16, 04:58 PM
47) The PCs are adventurers who have all entered the same kingdom-sponsored contest for the heart of the princess/keys to the kingdom/everful tankard of ale/boatload of treasure/remote controlled socks.

x + 3: They're trapped in a recursAAAAGH!

I like you. You're trouble. :smallbiggrin: