PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade Champion of Corellon

zaei
2008-05-15, 09:35 PM
So I'm trying to come up with a good entrance into Champion of Corellon. I was looking at the Duskblade as a possiblity. I haven't come up with a build yet, but I wanted some opinions on my thought processes.

Just to start off, for this build, I do want a significant amount of Champion of Corellon levels. This isn't a 2 level dip for this character.

Obviously, I can't fit 13 levels of Duskblade (for Full Attack Channel) and 8 levels of Champion (Corellon's Blessing) into 20 levels, which makes me sad. Thus, I have to pick which I'd rather have.

If I say I want to go full Champion, the obvious entrance would be Duskblade 7. This requires at least 1 flaw to meet the Champion prereqs to enter at 8th. Another possibility is Fighter X/Duskblade 7-X, where X is either 4 or (blasphemy) 3. Going this route pins me into keeping even Duskblade and Fighter levels for the rest of my career. Another possibility would be Duskblade 8-Y/Elf Paragon Y, where Y is 1-3. This pushes entrance into CoCL back by a level, hurts Duskblade casting slightly, but gives me a bonus to Int, and doesn't permenently kill Duskblade progression.

On the other hand, if I wanted to snag Full Attack Channel at Duskblade 13, it probably just makes sense to progress Duskblade until I feel like I want CoCL levels. This may or may not entail requiring flaws.

It's pretty obvious that Duskblade 13 is far more powerful than Corellon's Blessing, so that may be the route I go.

This character will start at level 10, and I would like some Champion levels by the time I start, preferably 2 or 3. This leads to Duskblade X/CoCL 10-X, 10-X<=3. If X is 9, I can enter CoCL without flaws.

I'd also like to TWF with this character. This makes FA Channel even more appealing. If I TWF, I MUST spend either one or two flaws, depending on when I enter Champion. One flaw would be Chivalrous Courtesy, Dragon 324 (I think). If another is required, I was thinking of Elven Pride of Arms, Dragon something (can only use long sword, rapier, long/short bow). If that flaw is chosen, I would require OTWF, which would not fit in the build until level 12, and so doesn't buy me anything. Another thought was Shaky, since I don't plan on ranged attacks much. A third option is another Dragon flaw that gives penalties when attacking unarmed opponents.

Any other flavorful flaws?

Once the base is laid, I'm not sure what to build with the Champion's bonus feats. Karmic Strike is one choice that I was thinking of, but other suggestions are appreciated.

Thus ends my thought process.

Suggestions are hereby and heartily requested!

zaei
2008-05-15, 10:15 PM
Another idea that just popped into my head would be Swashbuckler 3/Duskblade X/CoCL 17 - X. int+dex to damage, and then Duskblade channeling for crit immune baddies. Drop Str, wield a courtblade or feycraft longsword. Not sure on the pros and cons of TWF vs not TWF in this situation. TWF is cooler, though, but more feat intensive.

zaei
2008-05-16, 11:58 AM
After bouncing it around in my head all night, Duskblade 7/CoCL 3 seems to fit best. Now comes the spell selection and equipment. I want to go with a long sword and short sword for weapons. Not sure if I should go Mithril Full Plate or Mithril Breastplate.

I'd love to get a +1 Holy Adamantine Long sword for the main ahnd, but that might be a bit out of price range, but I'm not sure. I'm unsure what to put on the offhand.

Boots of Striding and Springing come to mind, but I'm open to other suggetsions.

I probably want +dex gloves.

Cloak, rings, other stuff? Please suggest!

Hal
2008-05-16, 12:56 PM
The Duskblade Guide (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=837888) has a lot of equipment suggestions.

Sounds like you've got it figured out as far as class levels go.

zaei
2008-05-20, 09:37 PM
So, I've got a build:

Kethen
Str: 16 Dex: 20 Con: 14 Int: 16 Wis: 11 Cha: 12
Level BAB Fort Ref Will Feats
1 Duskblade 1 +1 2 0 2 Chivalrous Courtesy, Inattentive, Dodge, Mounted Combat, Weapon Focus (Long Sword)
2 Duskblade 2 +2 3 0 3
3 Duskblade 3 +3 3 1 3 Combat Expertise
4 Duskblade 4 +4 4 1 4
5 Duskblade 5 +5 4 1 4
6 Duskblade 6 +6 5 2 5 *
7 Duskblade 7 +7 5 2 5
8 CoCL 1 +8 7 2 7 *
9 CoCL 2 +9 8 2 8 *

Those last three feats are free, and I had some thoughts.

Initially, I wanted to TWF, since the dex to damage is extra damage for TWF. In that case, Feat at 6 would be Somantic Weaponry, and at 9 would be TWF.

However, going the PA route wouldn't be bad for this character either. The stats came out such that I can manage a good str and dex. This also seems to synergize with the duskblade's shtick of standard action channeling. In this case, Weapon Focus (Long Sword) changes to Exotic Weapon Prof (Courtblade), and the feat at 6 gets Power Attack, or I drop one flaw, and take PA at 12.

I'm not sure what to take for the Champion bonus feats. I was thinking the Spring Attack > Bounding Assault > Rapid Blitz chain wouldn't be bad for when I get full attack channeling, because then enemies wouldn't have to cluster to get the most out of it.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know!