PDA

View Full Version : Help with conjuring and necromancy

slexlollar89
2008-05-15, 11:20 PM
Hello everyone!

I am an avid DnDer, but have never played an kind of summoner or conjurer. On that note, I decide to play a dread necromancer for an upcoming game, and wanted to ask you guys about it.

Exactly how does turn/rebuke work? I have read it but don't understand how it works (I asked my DM after reading it, and he even tried to explain it, so now when I ask him he just shouts "turn retard" and walks off).

Additionally, how does summon monster/undead work? can you only summon the monster on the lists in the book or are you allowed to summon other creatures (via template, or same HD, or feat modification)?

Lastly, what are some good feats (please also tell me where they are from) for a dread necromancer to take or interesting biulds?

Thanks guys, I know this is a long series of questions. Thanks for answering.

Chronos
2008-05-15, 11:38 PM
Exactly how does turn/rebuke work?Mostly, it doesn't. The short version is that you've got a decent chance to rebuke something with close to the same HD as you have, but most undead at a given CR have a lot more HD than the corresponding character. So you can mostly just use it on things that are too weak to be relevant, anyway. If you want to try it, though, just say "I'm rebuking undead", and let the DM worry about the mechanics.

slexlollar89
2008-05-15, 11:42 PM
Why I appreciate the humor there, I still woul prefer to understand what it is I'm doing, otherwise baaad things happen... not that I would know from experience or anything...

Jastermereel
2008-05-16, 03:37 PM
Why I appreciate the humor there, I still woul prefer to understand what it is I'm doing, otherwise baaad things happen... not that I would know from experience or anything...

Do you mean you're wondering what it actually would mean to turn/rebuke rather than the process of the mechanics? I could certainly understand the need for the former to avoid a "I turn the undead gazebo" situation.

Unfortunately, I can't really help with either.:smalltongue: The mechanics are a nightmare and the cheese for it doesn't really make sense. Good luck clarifying your question!

robotrobot2
2008-05-16, 05:37 PM
To turn undead, you basically make a turning check (1d20+Cha mod) and compare it with a table in the PHB. That tells you what is the max HD of undead that you can turn. Then you roll 2d6 + some other modifiers to figure out how many HD of undead you actually affect. Closest undead are affected first. I hope this helps. :)

Pironious
2008-05-16, 05:42 PM
Rebuking Undead

Step 1: Roll a D20, add your charisma mod.
Step 2: Look up table, see highest HD undead affectable
Step 3: Roll 2d6 + cha mod + turning class level for total number of HD affectable.
Step 4: Be told by the DM that the undead weren't affected as their HD were too high
Step 5: Regret choosing to rebuke undead.

monty
2008-05-16, 06:00 PM
Ok, first you roll a d20 and add relevant modifiers (Cha + miscellaneous). Compare that number to a table; it'll tell you that you can affect undead with HD up to your level +x (can be positive or negative). Let's call this number (you level +x) A.

Then you make another roll, using 2d6 plus modifiers (Cha + your level + miscellaneous). This gives you how many total HD you can turn. Call this number B.

Then you start looking at nearby undead. If the nearest one has HD greater than A, you ignore it. Otherwise, subtract its HD from B. If B>=0, it's turned, and you move on to the next one. If B<0, it's unaffected and you're done.

I think I got that right, anyway. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Maerok
2008-05-16, 06:54 PM
If you could have commanded it, you could have beat its 'brains' out.

Tequila Sunrise
2008-05-16, 07:31 PM
Rebuking Undead

Step 1: Roll a D20, add your charisma mod.
Step 2: Look up table, see highest HD undead affectable
Step 3: Roll 2d6 + cha mod + turning class level for total number of HD affectable.
Step 4: Be told by the DM that the undead weren't affected as their HD were too high
Step 5: Regret choosing to rebuke undead.
Step 6: Try again using a turn/rebuke mechanic from my Tome of House Rules and Variants that actually works as intended and is simpler to boot.

:smallbiggrin: TS