PDA

View Full Version : Wildshape questions

caden_varn
2008-05-16, 04:55 AM
I have a druid who is about to hit 5th level. As we are in the middle of a nasty dungeon and only two of the party are left alive, I want to prepare my wildshape properly, but I am not sure what the best thing to do here is. I am using the SRD as a base here. Since Wildshape refers to Polymorph which refers to Alter Self, it gets a bit confusing exactly how it works.

So: questions

Do I gain hit points from increases to Con? (I think so)
Do I gain skills (e.g. Move Silently from a leopard)? (I don't think so)
What about racial skill bonuses? (not sure here)
Do I gain special abilities (other than attacks) like low-light vision? (again, think I don't)
BAC is my BAB + new Str/Dex, not the animal's normal one? (I think so)
Is there anything I should look for in a Wildshape outside combat boosts (improved stats, special attacks, good natural weapons)?

Any specific animals that people would suggest at this level? I was thinkoing of a leopard, for decent physical stats (Str 16, Dex 19, Con 15), pounce and rake. Seems the best deal I can find.

Ecalsneerg
2008-05-16, 06:01 AM
Do I gain hit points from increases to Con? (I think so)
No, you don't.

Do I gain skills (e.g. Move Silently from a leopard)? (I don't think so)
You only get Special Attacks, not Skills or Special Qualities, so no.

What about racial skill bonuses? (not sure here)
Same as the skill ranks, nope.

Do I gain special abilities (other than attacks) like low-light vision? (again, think I don't)
No, only attacks.

BAC is my BAB + new Str/Dex, not the animal's normal one? (I think so)
You use your BAB, and the animals strength/Dex and size modifiers.

Is there anything I should look for in a Wildshape outside combat boosts (improved stats, special attacks, good natural weapons)?
Movement modes are always useful outside of combat.

I'd recommend leopard, it is a very nice form. Crocodile is also rather nice and my preference, due to the fact it's useful in nearly every environment.

Lucyfur
2008-05-16, 11:11 AM
Fleshraker Dino is the best pouncer, (MM3) But it's overpowdered (sic) and no DM should allow it.

I use Black Bear for the best Core Bruiser, but it's always a tossup as to what's better, the pouncing cat or the stronger bear.

Chronos
2008-05-16, 12:38 PM
Exception on the skills: Some movement forms automatically grant bonuses to the corresponding skills. For instance, if you shift into a form with a climb speed, you do get the +8 bonus to climb checks, since that's part of the special movement mode. The same is true for forms with a listed swim speed.

caden_varn
2008-05-19, 05:48 AM
rereading my manuals at home, it seems like you do get racial skill bonuses and feats (from Alter Self) unless something else in Polymorph or Wildshape overrides this?

Anyway, I survived (just) the big fight, but ended up just spamming summons (as there were 10 bad guys against 2 of us). But my companion died in a nasty trap after the big fight, so we did no save the day in the end. Oh well.

I like to see that WotC are still completely ignoring their own guidelines in adventure design, and getting the rules wrong.

Chronos
2008-05-19, 11:29 AM
There have been about fifteen rules changes to Polymorph and similar abilities, in a futile attempt to balance them. Currently, Wildshape is based on Alternate Form, not on Polymorph. For the most up-to-date rules, check d20srd.org, not the printed rulebooks.