PDA

View Full Version : Command and Conquer 3 (+Kane's Wrath) [SPOILERS]

Mr. Friendly
2008-05-16, 07:36 AM
Well, recently I have been taking a break from Evercrack to play C&C3, specifically Kane's Wrath, though I have been alternating.

Now, I really liked C&C 3, I thought it was a good, solid game, reasonably difficult with a lot of innovative features that seem like logical extensions of the C&C world. I still haven't beat it, I am stuck on the near last mission with GDI and stuck somewhere mid-campaign with Nod.

It's a tough game in places. Good. I also always go for the bonus objectives, so that no doubt helps...

Kane's Wrath: I really dig it, I am a total Kane/Nod fanboi so having a whole game dedicated to the Prophet of Tiberium is teh awesome. On the other hand, it does disappoint me a bit to only have the one campaign. I kinda hope that they will do two more stand alone campaign discs, one for GDI and one for Scrin. Not that I really want to buy two more discs....

But I am turning into a Scrin fanboy. :smallbiggrin:

One of the coolest things about the campaign is the whole notion of playing as LEGION/CABAL; it amuses me to see Alexa get all freaked out when Kane is talking to you

I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I originally got KW just for the Red Alert 3 Beta key. But I dig the heck out of it.

Kane
2008-05-16, 08:26 AM
YES!
Nice that I'm not alone anymore.

But I think that by KW, GDI is best. The upgrade Steel Talons have, the 'more hardpoints' one, is particularly deadly.

(Plus I'm a sucker for Big ****ing Tanks.)

What I love is that each faction is a bit different, and plays well, but they all have their own points. What I hate, is that in online matches, (of which I played two before getting disgusted) is that all anyone ever does is "If Nod, spam Venom/Scorpion, If Scrin, try to spam aircrafts, and GDI, spam armor." It gets old real quick.

Overall, though, I love the campaigns. The C&C3 one seemed to be fake difficulty, (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeDifficulty) and I still might think it is, if I go back through it, but... there are a few factors to convince me otherwise. It's a good game, one of my favorite RTSs.

The Rose Dragon
2008-05-16, 08:35 AM
GDI is broken in Kane's Wrath. Especially if you can build a M.A.R.V. (Mammoth Armored Reclamation Vehicle). It has four slots for infantry upgrades, compared to the two of the Redeemer and the three of the Eradicator. Sure, Eradicator can teleport and it shoots faster, but M.A.R.V. still wins.

Say, what is your favorite combination for M.A.R.V, the Redeemer and the Eradicator? Do you always put an engineer (or assimilator) so it can repair itself before hitting heroic rank?

Also, there is a reason Scrin spam aircraft. Because they are nigh-indestructible even in small numbers. Venoms, not so much, because they don't deal that much to vehicles, but they are cheap, quick and fast. Never used Scorpions myself.

If you're playing GDI, the best way to go is a strong defense and build a M.A.R.V.. Since building a M.A.R.V. takes some time, you do need that defense, but once it is built, you just need to put in a team of Zone Troopers, a team of Rocket Soldiers, an Engineer and your choice of Infantry Team / Sniper / Grenadier or Zone Raider if you're playing ZOCOM.

Kane
2008-05-16, 08:50 AM
The BEST, the pure ownage, is zone raiders. Maybe, two, a rocket squad, and an engineer.
If a MARV ever dies on me, it's cause of the damn Stormriders....:smallfrown:

The Rose Dragon
2008-05-16, 08:58 AM
That's why you have Firehawks. Well, that's why I have Firehawks, you apparently don't use them.

Mr. Friendly
2008-05-16, 08:59 AM
YES!
Nice that I'm not alone anymore.

But I think that by KW, GDI is best. The upgrade Steel Talons have, the 'more hardpoints' one, is particularly deadly.

(Plus I'm a sucker for Big ****ing Tanks.)

What I love is that each faction is a bit different, and plays well, but they all have their own points. What I hate, is that in online matches, (of which I played two before getting disgusted) is that all anyone ever does is "If Nod, spam Venom/Scorpion, If Scrin, try to spam aircrafts, and GDI, spam armor." It gets old real quick.

Overall, though, I love the campaigns. The C&C3 one seemed to be fake difficulty, (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeDifficulty) and I still might think it is, if I go back through it, but... there are a few factors to convince me otherwise. It's a good game, one of my favorite RTSs.

Yeah, but to be fair, pretty much every RTS breaks down to Spam X and Rush or Turtle; at least in online play. At least KW addresses the engineer rush by having the laser fencing and such for each race.

I really like the subfactions; it reminds me of Red Alert 2 except the factions all seem to be balanced.

Oddly, I also hope for a new edition of C&C Generals. Ideally, what I would love to see would be something like Zero Hour that included just the 'General's Challenge' as the campaign, but featured say 3 or 4 subfactions for every faction, then include every faction/time period of the C&C Universe. (Red Alert - Allied, Soviet, Yuri (not as broken as YR though); Generals - America, China, GLA; Tiberium - GDI, Nod, Scrin)

For the KW factions:

Steel Talons: They are pretty cool, I'm not much of a GDI person though. Though I do love the, um, I forget what the thing is called, but it's the walker with 4 huge guns on the back. I think ST get a bunker to put troops in for theirs?

ZOCOM: I dig them. I like the Sonic weapons and their upgraded Zone Troopers. (one of my favorite units on the GDI side)

For both, the MARV is pretty impressive.

Black Hand: Meh, I have never been a huge fan of flame weapons. Don't get me wrong, they are cool and effective, this faction just leaves me wanting though.

Marked of Kane: Mmmmm cyborg-doom! I think they are a pretty spiffy faction.

The Epic unit is awesome.

Reaper: I love the Reaper Tripod and Shard Walker. I dislike the lack of aircraft.

Traveller: More to my playstyle with the Scrin, since I tend to spam Carriers and Destroyers anyway.

The Hexapod is full of win.

EDIT:

Weird, for me the Hexapod only holds 3 infantry, the MARV and Nod one only hold 2 each. I'm doing it wrong?