PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Noob question

Aleron
2008-05-16, 11:35 AM
Yes, this is noobish, but it recently came up. If you have a character that at lvl 8 bumps his Int from 11 to 12 and gains a +1 int mod, does he retroactively add skill points(getting an extra 9 points), or would it just effect his skill points from that point going forward?

I thought you just gained the extra from that point forward, but a friend of mine that has been playing for much longer than me swears your supposed to get retroactive...and now I'm a bit confused:smalleek:

tyckspoon
2008-05-16, 11:42 AM
Hit Points are retroactive (more accurately, they're constantly recalculated based on whatever your current Con score is, so getting a Con-buffing spell or item boosts your HP and losing it effectively damages you). Skill Points aren't; raising or lowering your Int has no effect on your current Skill Points.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-16, 11:43 AM
Here ya go:

A character does not retroactively get additional skill points for previous levels if she increases her intelligence.

Very bottom of this page. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityScores)

Anyr
2008-05-16, 11:43 AM
Skill points are never gained retroactively. The character who begins their career with Int 18 is better off skillwise than the one who starts at 16 and puts two points into it later. Not exactly fair, but things can get messy otherwise.

Aleron
2008-05-16, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I thought that is how it worked, but it's nice to have it in writing. :)

greenknight
2008-05-16, 12:09 PM
Hit Points are retroactive (more accurately, they're constantly recalculated based on whatever your current Con score is, so getting a Con-buffing spell or item boosts your HP and losing it effectively damages you).

The specific exception to that is any creature using an Alternate Form (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#alternateForm) special ability (which includes Wild Shape, but not the Polymorph or Shapechange spells). This is why some people recommend a Druid wear an Amulet of Health prior to shapechanging, and then wear a Periapt of Wisdom afterwards (and even buffing with a Constitution Enhancing spell for some fights).