PDA

View Full Version : creative block

Anon-a-mouse
2008-05-16, 08:15 PM
I have been sitting now for two and a half hours staring at a blank sheet of paper. Does anyone have any useful ideas for getting over creative block or, failing that, can somebody compose a symphony for me?

Cristo Meyers
2008-05-16, 08:23 PM
Fiction: I've always hated it, but for some reason it works. Just write. Something gets into your head, just put it on the paper and follow it until it dries up. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Music/poetry/pretty much anything that isn't fiction: can't really help you, heh, sorry :smallredface:

Jokerz
2008-05-16, 08:25 PM
Symphony? As in music? Well, can't help you there. But if it's writing, there's no thing like parody.

averagejoe
2008-05-16, 08:58 PM
Just write something, and keep writing. If this is an "I've saved it till the last minute and I need to think of something fast" thing then it probably won't work that well, but if you have a few days to mull it over, it should work.

Agamid
2008-05-16, 09:13 PM
um... music... yeah, can't help you there...

um, i sleep. get my inspiration in dreams.

Winter_Wolf
2008-05-16, 10:12 PM
My suggestion would be to just randomly allow ink to drop on the page and see what it looks like. If you're at all musical I'm sure you can kind of hear what it would sound like in your head. I just want to note that I have no musical talent and don't actually know how it works for people who do, but I think you might get something interesting out of it.

After all, it's how I get through my dry periods when I'm painting/drawing. If nothing else, you'll end up looking at it, going "well that sucks, I'm sure I can do better," and then come up with something more fitting. It could work.

thubby
2008-05-17, 12:33 AM
pick 3 random notes, combine them in all possible ways, work with whatever sequence you like best.

Saeveo
2008-05-17, 05:37 AM
Does anyone have any useful ideas for getting over creative block or, failing that, can somebody compose a symphony for me?

Well, I'd imagine you'd have a better time coming up with something if you actually went and played. (Presuming that you do actually play something.) Sitting at a desk with a sheet in front of you doesn't seem very inspiring.