The Giant
2008-05-16, 11:25 PM
New comic is up.

Ganurath
2008-05-16, 11:30 PM
Bow before the Goddess Therkla!

Grim Greyscale
2008-05-16, 11:30 PM
What's so bad about him only being able to giveth Banjos, though? I wouldn't mind one.

Knight13
2008-05-16, 11:31 PM
Very good.

Elan seems oddly calm about how Lien and the others are still going to be sacrificed. Maybe he has something up his sleeve.

chiasaur11
2008-05-16, 11:32 PM
Once again, we see that Elan, in spite of Genre Savy, isn't too bright.

DrivinAllNight
2008-05-16, 11:32 PM
Yeah for Therkla :)

Jayngfet
2008-05-16, 11:34 PM
The Banjo giveth, the banjo taketh away.

Ganurath
2008-05-16, 11:35 PM
The Therkla giveth, the Therkla taketh away.Fixed for ya.

Lira
2008-05-16, 11:36 PM
Yes! Therkla to the rescue!

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-05-16, 11:38 PM
New comic is up.

Wow, I must say, I'm really enjoying this story arc. Therkla is a great character. I hope she stays around.

I like how, despite being evil, she still cares enough about Elan to save him.

Elan is the man! The last few comics with him have been very good.

I can't wait for the next one!

EvilElitest
2008-05-16, 11:39 PM
pretty good, but i think Elan needs to smart up. Oh wait never mind
from
EE

Daen
2008-05-16, 11:43 PM
Hilarious! :elan:

Tharr
2008-05-16, 11:47 PM
Elan hurry blow the horn or prehaps the one drop of blood.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-16, 11:49 PM
Oh Elan, you acted so wisely in the previous strip, but now you are your doofy self. :smalltongue:

All hail half-orc puppet goddess Therklanjo!

Bitzeralisis
2008-05-16, 11:50 PM
Yay, Elan the Prophet! :smallbiggrin:

FoE
2008-05-16, 11:58 PM
:elan: Why does it hurt when I think? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooDumbToLive)

RosesOnConcrete
2008-05-16, 11:58 PM
Nice knowing ya, Lien.

Borris
2008-05-17, 12:04 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, isn't this the first time Banjo has actually been used as a hand puppet?

Silly orcs and their ideas of building Banjo's altar like a puppet theater. They sure had it coming.

Morgan Wick
2008-05-17, 12:11 AM
"[Y]our voice is a lot deeper than I imagined it"? Does Therkla have an unusually deep voice or does Elan imagine Banjo having a rather... shallow voice? Or was Therkla just overcompensating for her feminine voice? Or did she not take into account that Banjo is supposedly a clown?

I've never been all that certain Therkla really is all that evil (I hope that doesn't mean I indirectly start a gazillion Alignment Threads (tm), if it doesn't start Therkla down the path of becoming the new Belkar), though it's clearly still a possibility (since all her seemingly Good actions have been in the name of saving/being in love with Elan - so far). But what I wonder is, how long can she keep putting the wool over the eyes of Kubota and the imp? She's been more than a little sloppy about it, and she never really explained satisfactorially to the imp why they don't just kill Elan.

As for why Elan doesn't save Lien, I see #558 (or #559) opening like this:
:daigo:: Elan! I can't believe you'd just let Lien lie there and get killed! What will Hinjo say?!? And what about us?
:elan:: Sadly, I cannot overrule the will of Banjo.

I would not be surprised if we learn Daigo's last name during this sequence, and it's entirely possible Lien does indeed get killed. I would also not be surprised to see V show up in a deus ex machina.

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't this the first time Banjo has actually been used as a hand puppet?

What, his introduction doesn't count? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0080.html)

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-17, 12:18 AM
V will quite likely be the Deus Ex Machina, I can't imagine Lien dying in such a silly situation.

MReav
2008-05-17, 12:22 AM

Silly orcs and their ideas of building Banjo's altar like a puppet theater. They sure had it coming.

What about the Call of Banjhulthu?

xanaphia
2008-05-17, 12:22 AM
Very good. My money is on either V turning up and saving them all, or Elan thinking of something.

Edan
2008-05-17, 12:24 AM
With all this recent action of Therlka and Elan, I expect the House of Fanservice to be beating people away with a stick. While others will beat themselves with sticks to try to unsee what will come in the House of Horrors.

Either way, anyone up for some groveling before Banjo, he has earned it.

Friendly_Nut
2008-05-17, 12:30 AM

Very much mistaken. Just look at te last panel of http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0553.html :smallbiggrin:

Martok
2008-05-17, 12:34 AM
Hee! Two hilarious strips in a row. Huzzah! :smallcool:

My favorite line is when Elan says that Hinjo will "probably give that stern paladin look to my eviscerated remains". *snicker*

Tedankhamen
2008-05-17, 12:41 AM
Man, was it me or did that one take some time coming out?
Felt like I was waiting all week for me OOTS fix.
If the writer is sick, hope ya feel better buddy!

hajo
2008-05-17, 12:45 AM
Yes! Therkla to the rescue!
I wonder where Therkla encounterd that little devil, and what he is up to...

The Hop Goblin
2008-05-17, 12:51 AM
Mistress of Puppets, Pulling your strings!! Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams! *rocks out*

factotum
2008-05-17, 01:04 AM
I've never been all that certain Therkla really is all that evil (I hope that doesn't mean I indirectly start a gazillion Alignment Threads (tm), if it doesn't start Therkla down the path of becoming the new Belkar), though it's clearly still a possibility (since all her seemingly Good actions have been in the name of saving/being in love with Elan - so far).

She's in love with Elan. Being Evil does not preclude you falling in love with entirely unsuitable people, you know, and you'll also notice that she basically tells the orcs "Yes, you can kill the other three, I don't care about them"--not exactly the actions of someone on the way to Good, I'd say!

The real question is: what happens to save the others? I seriously doubt they're actually going to get sacrificed, because that would be an extremely dark twist after the general light humour of the last three strips!

David Argall
2008-05-17, 01:19 AM
Now it seems almost mandatory that they get rescued, but how? V is an obvious way, but she seems too obvious. And we did get something of the sort back with the bandits. Maybe we get a twist where his rescue of the party is an accident. She goes highly nuts and starts tossing fireballs at random, or maybe she comes flying thru the village trying to capture another bird, and since orcs often hate elves, the entire village tries to chase him down, leaving the captives time to get away.
More likely it will be some other, non-V, factor. Maybe it's volcano time?

Dark Wolf
2008-05-17, 01:22 AM
Banjo gives his gifts (The Banjo) so you can hit yourself on the head with them, after all his message seems to be Knock yourself out.

fractal
2008-05-17, 01:23 AM
I think we have to assume that Therkla is evil. Remember her killing the original valedictorian? And her career is assassinating Kubota's enemies. The fact that she's smitten with Elan doesn't contradict any of that.

If at some point he rejects her, we may get to see how evil she is first hand. On the other hand, she's written fairly lightly, so maybe the Giant intends to have her reform as a result of her affection for Elan.

Trizap
2008-05-17, 01:25 AM
heheheh, funny

Elan: so wise previous strip, yet so dumb in this one, its a like a Heel Face Turn-cept with intelligence instead of alignment

Ganurath
2008-05-17, 01:26 AM
Just as Miko is Lawful Loony, Therkla is Amorous Evil.

fractal
2008-05-17, 01:31 AM
Regarding the art, I just noticed a mistake. Lien's neckline in this comic and #554 is white like her clothes, rather than tan like her face, as it was in #553 and earlier comics.

Elder Tsofu
2008-05-17, 01:48 AM
Hehe, elan get his reward for obeying the sign of Banjo when they walked under a net when going to the camp. :)

Halvormerlinaky
2008-05-17, 01:53 AM
Mistress of Puppets, Pulling your strings!! Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams! *rocks out*

Metallica played in Tucson tonight. Thanks for reminding me I couldn't go. You're on my list.

Halvormerlinaky
2008-05-17, 01:54 AM
Oh Elan, you acted so wisely in the previous strip, but now you are your doofy self. :smalltongue:

The balance MUST be maintained.

rosebud
2008-05-17, 02:13 AM
I'm surprised there have been no mentions I have seen of Heinlein's Puppet Masters. If only one had powerful magics to combine with the all-mighty Banjo.

Still, given what O'Chul has gone through, I don't see how a simple eviscerating knife stroke would take out Lien. Are her Gods so cruel? I do love her eyebrows in the last panel, though.

And tis such a cruel twist of fates that this as yet unrequited love story brings.

But, I guess I can say I need to just wait for the next for I know not read it.

fractal
2008-05-17, 02:16 AM
Still, given what O'Chul has gone through, I don't see how a simple eviscerating knife stroke would take out Lien. Are her Gods so cruel? I do love her eyebrows in the last panel, though.
Three words: Coup de Gras.

David Argall
2008-05-17, 02:56 AM
Three words: Coup de Gras.

Nag, nag, nag. I'll take care of the lawn soon.

Carinthium
2008-05-17, 03:00 AM
There is a plot hole in this scene. If Banjo can appear to the shaman, why can't he correct their current error?

krossbow
2008-05-17, 03:07 AM
She's in love with Elan. Being Evil does not preclude you falling in love with entirely unsuitable people, you know, and you'll also notice that she basically tells the orcs "Yes, you can kill the other three, I don't care about them"--not exactly the actions of someone on the way to Good, I'd say!

The real question is: what happens to save the others? I seriously doubt they're actually going to get sacrificed, because that would be an extremely dark twist after the general light humour of the last three strips!

Yeah; after all, Elan's father fell in love (temporarily) with someone of opposite alignment, and he's about as evil as it gets.

Holammer
2008-05-17, 03:30 AM
Another "how will they get out of this pickle" strip. I love it.

Fsi-Dib
2008-05-17, 03:30 AM
This got interesting right here, right now. Since Elan is quite chaotic in alignment, the outcome can be pretty much anything.

Let's see if power and the title of prophet gets into his head too deeply.

Eric
2008-05-17, 03:49 AM
Elan is LE: must obey the rule of Banjo and doesn't care if it kills his "friends"! And he's very willing to get jiggly with women of uncertain moral stature.

Help! I'm meltiiinggggg....

I think this may be a place where Durkon can show his level headedness.

Durkon: Elan, if Banjo could only give banjos with his banjo hand, then he must be only able to take away banjos with that hand. Seeing as he's already got a banjo and we don't, then he doesn't want to take anything. So we should be free.

Elan: ?

Shaman: aawww. vurklug never get to sacrifice now.

Laurentio
2008-05-17, 03:57 AM
Regarding the art, I just noticed a mistake. Lien's neckline in this comic and #554 is white like her clothes, rather than tan like her face, as it was in #553 and earlier comics.
True. I noticed and reported in a previous thread, and it's bugging me, too.
As it's consistent (she has a white neckline from the first time she appear tied to the rock), we can speculate that orcs can't stand the sight of human boobs, and covered her with a white cloth.

:thog: pale boobs no funny!

Laurentio

Lumenadducere
2008-05-17, 04:59 AM
Heh, nice. Hopefully this'll give Elan a lot more leverage with the orcs in the next couple of strips.

banjo1985
2008-05-17, 05:04 AM
And lo, so the will of Banjo is done!

Nice strip, I especially like the fact Elan completely believes it. :smallbiggrin:

nli10
2008-05-17, 05:08 AM
I'd say that all they have to do is swear allegiance to Banjo and they'll be free to go.

Might even begin those negotiations too!

Beholder1995
2008-05-17, 06:03 AM
Wonderful, Wonderful strip, Giant. :smallsmile:

Here's MY theory:
The next strip will switch back to Vaarsuvius, who is having frustrations with his experiment. He has killed one of his birds in an attempt to make it do what he wants, and now, exasperated, he needs to look for a new one. Vaarsuvius is seen flying over the jungle in pursuit of a bird, but he cannot catch it, so, frustrated, he tries to lighting bolt it. The first attempt misses, but when the bird lands on Chief GrukGruk's hut, V's lightning hits dead-on, blasting through the roof, and striking the shaman just as he's about to stab Lien. The Orcs interpret this "heavenly lightning" to be a sign from Banjo the Almighty, and release the captives.
Or, alternatively, the lightning strikes someone else (I.E. Lien or Therkla) And the last panel shows them collapsing, dead.

otakuryoga
2008-05-17, 06:12 AM
What's so bad about him only being able to giveth Banjos, though? I wouldn't mind one.

giving away banjos = bad

leads to too many times hearing the Dueling Banjos music from Deliverance :smalleek:

Blaznak
2008-05-17, 06:40 AM
Hooray! Sacrifices are back on the agenda!

Now that's a slogan I can get behind...

Daibhid C
2008-05-17, 06:57 AM
There is a plot hole in this scene. If Banjo can appear to the shaman, why can't he correct their current error?

Because he's a puppet. The shaman's worship of Banjo is based on an odd coincidence, not on any actual godlike abilities, or indeed sentience, on the part of Elan's imaginary friend.

HamsterOfTheGod
2008-05-17, 07:29 AM
Now it seems almost mandatory that they get rescued, but how?
*cough* Hinjo *cough*

stsasser
2008-05-17, 07:49 AM
'horrid little piece of devil crap' - is this authentic imp ontology or just vicious whimsy?

Estelindis
2008-05-17, 08:13 AM
Great strip! :smallbiggrin: I hope Lien makes it out of this alive. :smalleek: I mean, according to the comic genre, she has a good chance, but even still...

shylocxs
2008-05-17, 08:19 AM
Mannnnn... isn't this just another opportunity for a splintering from the true church of Banjo? We have orthodox, liberals, crazies, and now... I don't know what to call them! It was easier when there was only one version of Banjo worship.

kierthos
2008-05-17, 09:09 AM
Once again, we see that Elan, in spite of Genre Savy, isn't too bright.
You could have left out the "in spite of Genre Savvy" part.

I mean, let's be clear. Elan is smarter then a bag of rocks, but not a lot smarter. Even after all this time, he's still willing to let his friends and associates die because of what, basically, a hand-puppet is telling him to do. A hand-puppet he created and named. (I mean, come on, I can maybe see him being blasé about the two paladins, but up and letting Durkon be sacrificed? That's cold. That's like, Belkar cold.)

But that's why we like him, I suppose. It's because he's about as sharp as a sack of wet mice, yet still manages to survive everything being thrown at him (sometimes, what's being thrown at him is being thrown by the aforementioned friends and associates).

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-05-17, 09:21 AM
I really hope no one shows up to rescue them, that would be anti-climatic. They call it "deus ex machina". The Giant is a much better writer than that.

I love the way the Giant has been putting in literary references like "in media res", Daigo calling Elan the "main protagonist", and the last strip with Elan figuring they were supposed to be captured.

Anyway, I'm sure Elan will find a way to get everyone out alive. :smallsmile:

RebelRogue
2008-05-17, 09:31 AM
Heinlein's Puppet Masters
Or Pierson's Puppetteers...

SteveDJ
2008-05-17, 09:39 AM
Now it seems almost mandatory that they get rescued, but how? V is an obvious way, but she seems too obvious. And we did get something of the sort back with the bandits. Maybe we get a twist where his rescue of the party is an accident. She goes highly nuts and starts tossing fireballs at random, or maybe she comes flying thru the village trying to capture another bird, and since orcs often hate elves, the entire village tries to chase him down, leaving the captives time to get away.
More likely it will be some other, non-V, factor. Maybe it's volcano time?

Just one problem with that last idea...

Usually, a volcano about to erupt is the very reason for performing a sacrifice. If the mountain were to start rumbling, that would just embolden the orcs to proceed with the ceremony.

Baelzar
2008-05-17, 09:45 AM
MAY YOU BE TOUCHED BY HIS GOOGLY APPENDAGE...

Forealms
2008-05-17, 09:53 AM
*snicker*

This comment could have been made a few comics ago, but anyway...

I bet the Gods of the North are regretting not inducting Banjo now. Would have shot up their unique prayers-per-day.

Vaarsuvius4181
2008-05-17, 10:23 AM
I think you are all wrong, and I will still stand by the fact that V is a BOY. I believe that the purple dressed lady is some sort of a clone of haley, but evil. I mean, come on. She has a crush on elan, and she looks just like her but green. But, she did not care for the others, so it must be some sort of evil clone, cuz haley would never do that. and i think elan will rescue the team, maybe v. It's been a long time since the good ole days back in the dungeon of dorukan where elan and the party shared alot of laughs and fights. Now that the comic is getting more story driven, I think Elan will have to show what he is really made of soon, otherwise we will lose our bond with elan throughout the story. we will begin to wonder, V can pretty much fight about 50 guys at one time, elan can't take on 3? So, I just shut up and eagerly await the next comic, and ultimately when the party joins together again.:smallbiggrin:

kierthos
2008-05-17, 10:54 AM
I think you are all wrong, and I will still stand by the fact that V is a BOY. I believe that the purple dressed lady is some sort of a clone of haley, but evil. I mean, come on.

Uh, no, that's a half-orc ninja. Her name is Therkla, I believe. No clones here.

factotum
2008-05-17, 11:14 AM
I bet the Gods of the North are regretting not inducting Banjo now. Would have shot up their unique prayers-per-day.

The Gods of the North would have been perfectly happy to induct Banjo...it was their priest on Earth who refused it. Check strip #137 for proof.

Caractacus
2008-05-17, 11:16 AM
'horrid little piece of devil crap' - is this authentic imp ontology or just vicious whimsy?

You have raised an important point here...especially what is created from beautiful pieces of devil crap... :smallamused:

krossbow
2008-05-17, 11:29 AM
Time to see Elan's dashing hero abilities be put to the test.

I mean there's a damsel in distress about to be sacrificed; thats about as cliche of a dashing hero situation as it gets really. I'm predicting either A. Elan Tries to reason with banjo/therkla to let his friends go and therkla relents to get him to stop whining, or B. Elan denies banjo and pulls some crazy dashing hero stuff.

Though i would like to say, i love the part about hinjo giving his remains a stern paladin look. That really made me laugh.

Roderick_BR
2008-05-17, 11:36 AM
Therkla: *Squeal*

That says everything :smallbiggrin:

ref
2008-05-17, 12:22 PM

Yes, that's Elan for you. Capable of the best and the worst in the shortest span of time.

Evil DM Mark3
2008-05-17, 03:44 PM
Elan, you're still a moron, but I like you.

Max_Sinister
2008-05-17, 03:51 PM
Now that looks like an extremely tricky situation. Is there a way to save Durkon, Lien and Daigo? Because Therkla isn't interested in their lives, V isn't in the picture and Elan is... Elan. I hope the Giant knows how to save them, because it looks like he painted himself in the corner.

Or did he not? What if Banjo becomes aware now and interferes somehow?

Fingolfin
2008-05-17, 04:30 PM
Oh my, this comic has one of the best end kickers that I have seen in a while. Rich giveth a lot this time :smallbiggrin:

David Argall
2008-05-17, 05:44 PM
Just one problem with that last idea...

Usually, a volcano about to erupt is the very reason for performing a sacrifice. If the mountain were to start rumbling, that would just embolden the orcs to proceed with the ceremony.

Not a major problem. The cliche way to sacrifice to the volcano god is to toss the hero into the pool of lava. So the rumblings of the volcano makes everybody decide to move the heros to the lava, and the sacrifice is to be performed there. Of course on the way, or at the pool of lava, any of a number of things can happen.

Niesra
2008-05-17, 06:38 PM
Great strip. The last ones have been really awesome. NOw...i don't think Lien'd die in such a...stupid (I guess)...situation. So, regarding how they might be saved, i have three theories:
the first has already been said

Time to see Elan's dashing hero abilities be put to the test.

I mean there's a damsel in distress about to be sacrificed; thats about as cliche of a dashing hero situation as it gets really. I'm predicting either A. Elan Tries to reason with banjo/therkla to let his friends go and therkla relents to get him to stop whining, or B. Elan denies banjo and pulls some crazy dashing hero stuff.

Though i would like to say, i love the part about hinjo giving his remains a stern paladin look. That really made me laugh.

it's totally true...it couldn't be a more cliché situation and Elan's dashing swordman abilities may be more than enough...up until, of course, the rest of the orcs show up in the scene...but it can buy more than enough time to run away.

the second would be Hinjo (i think someone mentioned it...). V would go back to the ship alone, telling Hnjo Lien was captured and the other three went there to save her. So Hinjo, worried, hurries to the woods with some men (or alone even) to save them.

Now the third'd be V(i know...totally original right?)
I like the theory of her zaping a scaped bird all over and hiting the orcs by sheer chance...(as i think someone mentions) But what if whatever experiment he/she was working on works(cloister must have worn off by now right?) and hurries to Elan to tell the good news and finds her/him self with that scene and it's V to the rescue...

Kilarny
2008-05-17, 06:55 PM
That was awesome.

ref
2008-05-17, 09:07 PM
Yep, these arc is full of win, I'm eager to see how it continues.

btw, Vaarsuvius4181, could you please try to resize your banner a bit? Thank you. :smallsmile:

Shatteredtower
2008-05-17, 09:28 PM
"[Y]our voice is a lot deeper than I imagined it"? Does Therkla have an unusually deep voice or does Elan imagine Banjo having a rather... shallow voice?
Neither. Therkla's throat just goes all dry when she's thinking about Elan, causing her voice to take on a husky tone. She is woman; hear her growl!(From beneath her purple cowl!)

Well, this is quite the predicament. Good thing they've still got Miko to save them!

Oh. Right.

dps
2008-05-18, 01:17 AM
Wow, I must say, I'm really enjoying this story arc. Therkla is a great character. I hope she stays around.

I like how, despite being evil, she still cares enough about Elan to save him.

Nothing special about that. Evil people usually have someone or something that they care about. It doesn't make them less evil.

Ward.
2008-05-18, 01:33 AM
I was almost getting tired of OOTS, but this comic has once again renewed my faith.

Remirach
2008-05-18, 01:36 AM
I'm not convinced Therkla is evil as opposed to neutral. She certainly might be, and being in love with Elan isn't a refutation of that. But it seems like she's working for the Evil side, but hasn't herself done anything that bad (yet). She doesn't care what the orcs do to the others, but how is that worse than Vaarsuvius' attitude? Plus technically Lien and the others are her ENEMIES, while V turned her back on her ALLY.

Isn't it possible for a neutral person to be allied on the evil side, just as it is for them to be neutral but allied on the good? Therkla's loyal to Kubota for reasons unknown. She even called him her "master" which I found somewhat odd (read: creepy). None of his other subordinates address him as such.

I guess we'll find out soon enough. I just don't know if it's conclusive yet.

TheExpat
2008-05-18, 03:33 AM
Great strip. The last ones have been really awesome. NOw...i don't think Lien'd die in such a...stupid (I guess)...situation. So, regarding how they might be saved, i have three theories:
the first has already been said...

the second would be Hinjo (i think someone mentioned it...). V would go back to the ship alone, ... So Hinjo, worried, hurries to the woods with some men (or alone even) to save them.

Now the third'd be V(i know...totally original right?)
I like the theory of her zaping a scaped bird all over and hiting the orcs by sheer chance...) and hurries to Elan to tell the good news and finds her/him self with that scene and it's V to the rescue...

*Sorry, just abbreviated the quote so I wouldn't hog up a bunch of space*

I like all these theories, in fact I think it's possible they could all be played out over the next few strips, but the first theory seems the most likely to happen first. The combination of Elan's pebble-brains and Therkla's puppy love feelings might lead them to cooperating in getting the others free.

I like surprises though, so I kinda hope that we're all wrong. Looking forward to #558+:smallsmile:

Eric
2008-05-18, 04:53 AM
I'm not convinced Therkla is evil as opposed to neutral.

Begging the question (and I thought I'd done this one with the proof of Elan's LE alignment. Need more sarcasm next time).

You're taking the tack that there's more than just her appearing evil with nothing to show this is true.

So, for now, she's Evil. We *may* find a reason to suspect she's not but getting gushy over a human ISN'T one.

Heck, are we going to say that Xykon isn't evil because he was sad over his doggie? He's just in a toxic spiral because of his rejection by the Evil Overlord who employed him? Was he mistreated as a child?

Bah!

Heck, we don't know why Kuboto wants the paladins gone. Maybe he's good and just being used by the imp for their purposes, but has the best of the people of Azure City at heart?

Or maybe he's the bad guy.

Remirach
2008-05-18, 05:06 AM
Begging the question (and I thought I'd done this one with the proof of Elan's LE alignment. Need more sarcasm next time).

You're taking the tack that there's more than just her appearing evil with nothing to show this is true.

So, for now, she's Evil. We *may* find a reason to suspect she's not but getting gushy over a human ISN'T one.

Did you read a word I wrote? I said specifically that her gushing over Elan was NO reason to rule out an evil alignment. What I said was we can't definitively peg her as evil, because she hasn't done anything specifically evil herself (yet??). Her ALLIES have.

Heck, are we going to say that Xykon isn't evil because he was sad over his doggie? He's just in a toxic spiral because of his rejection by the Evil Overlord who employed him? Was he mistreated as a child?

Bah!
How does that bear any resemblance whatsoever to the argument I put forth? I did not try to excuse her behavior. I said, she has not committed an objectively evil act. Xykon HAS. End of story.

Heck, we don't know why Kuboto wants the paladins gone. Maybe he's good and just being used by the imp for their purposes, but has the best of the people of Azure City at heart?

Or maybe he's the bad guy.
He's power-hungry (neutral) and willing to do whatever it takes to seize power (evil.)

factotum
2008-05-18, 10:41 AM
Did you read a word I wrote? I said specifically that her gushing over Elan was NO reason to rule out an evil alignment. What I said was we can't definitively peg her as evil, because she hasn't done anything specifically evil herself (yet??).

She may have done nothing evil "onscreen", but she's an assassin working for a boss who is also quite happy to employ a creature from the Abyss. Those two factors alone make it pretty darn certain she's also Evil, I think.

David Argall
2008-05-18, 02:43 PM
it seems like she's working for the Evil side, but hasn't herself done anything that bad (yet).
Strictly speaking, she has yet to do anything that we would call alignment related that wasn't presumptively evil [except where Elan was involved]. We start with her having ordered some ninja's to go kill Hinjo. She tries to kill him herself, including a number of off-stage attempts. We see that she got to be valvictorian by killing the holder of that position. She has spent several years as Kuboto's chief assassin...
So we have no reason to call her other than evil besides that we happen to like her. She is a reverse Miko. Actually we might see her taking over Miko's role as bothering the party in future comics as she tries to win Elan, who will likely never even realize she is trying to.

Isn't it possible for a neutral person to be allied on the evil side, just as it is for them to be neutral but allied on the good?
Certainly possibly. But we assume the reverse in both cases.

Therkla's loyal to Kubota for reasons unknown. She even called him her "master" which I found somewhat odd (read: creepy). None of his other subordinates address him as such.

It's a common enough oriental, and pseudo-oriental, title. Note that Miko uses it about Shojo.

PhallicWarrior
2008-05-18, 03:00 PM
Elan! NOOO! Stop them!

Gah! Make comics faster, Rich! I need more!

(Incidentally, I think this post holds the record for the most exclamation points I've ever used in a single post.)

Remirach
2008-05-18, 03:02 PM
She may have done nothing evil "onscreen", but she's an assassin working for a boss who is also quite happy to employ a creature from the Abyss. Those two factors alone make it pretty darn certain she's also Evil, I think.
Are assassins always necessarily evil? What if they only take out certain targets and avoid killing innocent bystanders at all costs? An Evil person would take to the lifestyle easier than a neutral one, but is it IMPOSSIBLE that a neutral person could be an assassin? Plus technically her class is Ninja -- we have no idea how many people she's tried to "assassinate" aside from him. EDIT: Although, she was his "most trusted assassin" for seven years, I forgot about that specific line.

And Kubota, well, there's no doubt that he is evil, but she's loyal to him for, again, reasons unknown. If we can have neutral people working for a side that promotes an overwhelmingly good cause without becoming good-aligned themselves, why not the reverse?

I realize I'm arguing against the greater LIKELIHOOD of her alignment, which is evil. I'm just not convinced it has met the standards of proof required for CERTAINTY.

krossbow
2008-05-18, 05:00 PM
Personally, i think it would make for a humerous running gag if Therkla followed the order of the stick around for the rest of the series attempting to assasinate Haley off screen and failing, like the girlfriend from blues brothers.

Borris
2008-05-18, 11:37 PM
For all those who countered my observation that Banjo had never been used as a hand puppet should before the previous strip by posting links where Elan is holding Banjo on his hand, I was well aware of the fact. But using a hand puppet usually requires to make it talk, and I'm pretty sure that's the first time it happens.

On the other hand (pun intended), the only one to have used Banjo in the past is Elan, and it seems evident from the current strip that he somehow hasn't realized you're supposed to speak for the puppet instead of waiting for it to talk on its own.

factotum
2008-05-19, 12:12 AM
Are assassins always necessarily evil? What if they only take out certain targets and avoid killing innocent bystanders at all costs?

Fundamentally, an assassin goes around killing people for money. There's no evidence that Therkla is at all selective in her targets (e.g. only killing Evil people)--in fact, her attempts to kill Hinjo suggest entirely the opposite. That, to me, is evil.

the_tick_rules
2008-05-19, 01:10 AM
banjo's will must not be questioned, even by elan.

Silmarwen
2008-05-19, 05:37 AM
hi hi Banjo with his own altar. How touching.

PS: A lot of text in this strip. Some of the balloons have small letters and it gets kind of difficult to read :smallconfused:

Whitebeard
2008-05-19, 11:18 AM
My favorite quality of Elan's is how aloof he is to his high charisma. He doesn't even notice when Banjo's voice calls his hair luxurious, not because he assumes everyone thinks so, but more likely because he's never given it any thought, one way or another.

brilliantlight
2008-05-19, 02:56 PM
:elan: Why does it hurt when I think? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooDumbToLive)

I like that. Further down is something I always thought of the Jedi, particularly in the prequels.

The entire Jedi order. Let's make a bunch of rules that not only run counter to human nature, but help ensure that your number will always be relatively low. Then let's blithely ignore signs that All Is Not Well until one of your members gets de-lifed by something you thought was a myth. THEN let's utterly ignore the growing power and immaturity of your "Chosen One". All the while getting played like chess pieces by the ultimate BBEG, who was literally there the whole time.

Wolfram
2008-05-19, 04:04 PM
Therkla: *Squeal*

That says everything :smallbiggrin:

Well, add the fact she wonders how he looks so good tied up... :smallbiggrin:

Morgan Wick
2008-05-20, 01:27 AM

But she doesn't explicitly order them to kill them. I was half-arguing for Neutral, not Good.