PDA

View Full Version : Playing a Dwarf Barbarian with a flexible DM, and...

Makkura42
2008-05-17, 02:45 AM
I'm fairly new to the game. I've only been playing for about 2 months, about 15 sessions, 3.5.

My question to you is this. I was looking through prestige classes, OGL stuff, and I saw one that piqued my interest.

War Mind.

It doesn't seem like much of a stretch for my current character, and I'm not far from meeting the requirements. So, what are the drawbacks and advantages to this class, and secondly-- is it even possible for my character?

Looking forward to any responses.

Nebo_
2008-05-17, 04:02 AM
It doesn't seem like much of a stretch for my current character, and I'm not far from meeting the requirements. So, what are the drawbacks and advantages to this class, and secondly-- is it even possible for my character?

You can't manifest powers while you're raging, but Warmind is a very nice class with lots of cool abilities.

I have no idea if it's possible for your character because I don't know anything about your character. That's the thing about not giving us any information...

Makkura42
2008-05-17, 04:40 AM
Basic stuff is in the title, but there is one tiny snag.

Terrible time to ask and all. I typically leave my character sheet with the DM, as well as my dice. Nice to have everything in one place, and it's a bit too late to call and get my stats right now.

I do know, though-- 6th level, scythe, two attacks, but I'm pretty sure I don't meet the intelligence requirement of 18 yet.

Come to think of it, that's the other thing I wanted to ask about. Do your stats (STR, CON, INT etc) only go up with level, excluding temporary enhancements? And if so, when and by how much?

(Man, I really should bring my things home with me... this is embarassing. :smalleek:)

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-17, 07:08 AM
You get 1 point to add to your ability scores every 4th level (4, 8, 12, 16, 20).

There are at least a couple ways of gaining permanent bonuses, but those are for the higher levels, and aren't very common from my experience (unless a player seeks them out).

Note that there is no Intelligence requirement for War Mind. In fact, the class' psionic manifestation is keyed to their Wisdom score.

Makkura42
2008-05-17, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the info.

You're right, there is no requirement. The most I would need would be 15 or 16, because as a Psychic Warrior I could only use up to lv6 abilities, if I'm not mistaken.

I really appreciate the feedback. I think I'm getting the hang of this. There was one question I had about the War Mind's special abilities though. I haven't picked up on alot of things, so I feel a little in the dark here. Insight bonuses.
ex-- Chain of Defensive Posture (Ex): At 2nd level, a war mind learns the second principle of warfare for the individual combatant: the ability to avoid the enemy's counterattacks if that enemy is not immediately overwhelmed. Calling upon inner reserves of knowledge and dedication, a war mind can provide himself with a +2 insight bonus to Armor Class for up to 1 minute. A war mind can use this power three times per day. Activating this power is a free action. At 8th level, the insight bonus to Armor Class improves to +4.

Little confused about that. What's the insight bonus to AC?

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-17, 07:46 PM
Basically there are two types of bonuses in D&D. "Typed" and "un-typed".

A typed bonus has a descriptor added to it. For example: dodge bonus, morale bonus, enhancement bonus, insight bonus, etc. An untyped bonus just says the word bonus. For example: Improved Initiative grants a +4 bonus to initiative.

Now, the different types of bonuses informs you which bonuses stack and which overlap (as in, only taking the best one). In general, bonuses of the same type do not stack. The two major exceptions to this being dodge bonuses to AC and circumstance bonuses arising from unrelated circumstances. Thus, you can add an armor bonus with a deflection bonus, but you can't add two deflection bonuses (you only get the better of the two).

Untyped bonuses differ from typed bonuses in that they generally stack with everything, except whatever that granted the bonus. You can think about it as if the bonus type was the same as the name of the ability. Meaning that you can consider the bonus from Improved Initiative to be the "Improved Initiative bonus" to initiative. Thus, improved initiative stacks with anything else that adds to your initiative, but you can't take Improved Initiative twice and gain double the benefits from it.

So in the case of that War Mind ability, it temporarily grants you an insight bonus to AC. If you already have another insight bonus being added to your AC, then this ability will only help you if the magnitude of the bonus is higher. And at 8th level, the +2 bonus becomes a +4 bonus instead.

I hope that helps.

Makkura42
2008-05-18, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the reply. I think I've got the idea. It's a pretty simple concept. So the special abilities of the war mind wouldn't stack with any other bonuses I have on the same stat. Does that include my +1 Natural Armor Amulet?

By the way, I've gotten my stats.

STR 18 (+4)
DEX 15 (+2)
CON 19 (+4)
INT 15 (+2)
WIS 16 (+3)
CHA 13 (+1)

The powers I'm planning to work for as a War Mind:

Personal Note on Skills wanted: (Round= 6 secs in-game)
Lv1: Expansion. 1 act. 1 round. 1PP. Doubles height/width/length and weightx8. +2STR -2DEX. Space/reach 10ft. Melee +dmg. +6pp for 2size up.
Lv2: Biofeedback. 1 act. 1min/level. 1PP. Toughen against wounds, lessening impact. Dmg reduction 2/-. For add. 3pp, dmg reduction +1.
Lv4: Body Adjustment. 1round. 3pp. Cure self 1d12. +2pp for added 1d12, stack.
Lv6: Empathic Feedback. 1act. 10min/level. 5pp. Struck in melee, deal attacker damage taken or 5, whichever is less. +1pp for 1point stack.
Lv8: Weapon of Energy 1round. 7pp. Extra1d6 cold/fire/elec damage. Critical extra 3d10 (for scythe). Elemental effects stack. Fort Save.
Lv10: Oak Body. 9pp. 1act. 1min/lev. +5 Nat Armor, immune to bility damage, blindness, deafness, disease, drowning, poison, stunning. 1/2 dmg cold, fire weak, +4STR -2DEX.

So, if I'm not mistaken, for the powers I've chosen to work toward, I already meet the key ability requirement of 16.

The only bummer is, looking through the 6th level list (which I can't have, bummer) I saw Breath of The Black Dragon, which is absolutely badass. But it did make me wonder-- can you only gain 10 levels in a multi-class?

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-18, 03:32 AM
Thanks for the reply. I think I've got the idea. It's a pretty simple concept. So the special abilities of the war mind wouldn't stack with any other bonuses I have on the same stat. Does that include my +1 Natural Armor Amulet?

That is incorrect.

Different types of bonuses do stack. Insight bonuses are different from Armor bonuses, which are different from Natural Armor bonuses, etc. Thus, they can all be added together. However, an Insight bonus will NOT stack with other Insight bonuses.

So your +1 Natural Armor bonus will stack with your +2/+4 Insight bonus from Chain of Defensive Posture, but WILL NOT stack with the +5 Natural Armor bonus from Oak Body. Get it?

Note on multiclassing: Standard classes (such as Barbarian) have no prerequisites and always have a 20 level progression (or more if you get into Epic Levels). Whereas Prestige Classes require certain traits or abilities to enter and normally only progress through 5 or 10 levels (although there are many exceptions to that). Basically, you can only take a Prestige Class for the number of levels that have been written for it (again, unless you attain Epic Levels, where 10-Level PrCs can be continued).

Note on Psionics: An important rule that is often overlooked is that you cannot spend more PP to manifest a Power than your Manifester Level. That is like your Spellcaster Level for Psionic Powers. This will affect your ability to augment your powers, since you cannot just dump all your PP into crazy maxing out one Power a day, or some such activity.

Makkura42
2008-05-18, 03:49 AM
That is incorrect.

Different types of bonuses do stack. Insight bonuses are different from Armor bonuses, which are different from Natural Armor bonuses, etc. Thus, they can all be added together. However, an Insight bonus will NOT stack with other Insight bonuses.

So your +1 Natural Armor bonus will stack with your +2/+4 Insight bonus from Chain of Defensive Posture, but WILL NOT stack with the +5 Natural Armor bonus from Oak Body. Get it?

I do now. :smallbiggrin:

Note on Psionics: An important rule that is often overlooked is that you cannot spend more PP to manifest a Power than your Manifester Level. That is like your Spellcaster Level for Psionic Powers. This will affect your ability to augment your powers, since you cannot just dump all your PP into crazy maxing out one Power a day, or some such activity.

Maybe I'm still lost on that point. For example, at 10th level in War Mind, you can use 5th level powers. And from what I gather, your manifester level is equivalent to your level in that psionic class (5th, in this case). But you have 70pp per day. What would be the limit to augmenting my powers with extra PP, in Body Adjustment for example, if you assume I'm at the appropriate level for gaining the ability (4th), with 14pp?

By the way, thank you for going to all this trouble. I really appreciate the help.

axraelshelm
2008-05-18, 04:29 AM
the limit would equal to your manifester level meaning you can spead 5 power points if you are at 5 level. Excluding other feats that makes this rule void.

So a dwarvern barbarian/war mind huh? hmmm So a heavy slugger type try to pick up the psyic weapon stuff 5d6 worth of damage for one hit? thank you. And try to maximise the auto hypnosis skill aswell as concentration loads of fun to be had with those skills.

Makkura42
2008-05-18, 04:45 AM
the limit would equal to your manifester level meaning you can spead 5 power points if you are at 5 level. Excluding other feats that makes this rule void.

So a dwarvern barbarian/war mind huh? hmmm So a heavy slugger type try to pick up the psyic weapon stuff 5d6 worth of damage for one hit? thank you. And try to maximise the auto hypnosis skill aswell as concentration loads of fun to be had with those skills.

Thanks muchly. Got it.

Thank you? What for? :smallamused: If you mean for the idea, you're welcome. It WOULD be pretty unnerving, I'd imagine. Going up against a seemingly standard barbarian, and he suddenly grows 2 size categories and starts swinging a (flaming) scythe around. :smallbiggrin:

serow
2008-05-18, 11:57 AM
I had a half-orc barbarian/war mind in an orc campaign once... Never got high enough to actually get Sweeping Strike before the DM switched campaigns.

But be careful, especially when activating Rage AND (that chain which gives +2/4 Str/Con) at the same time. When the timer run outs, you'll be out a lot of HP. Be sure to get enough healing before that happens.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-18, 02:51 PM
If you have access to Complete Psionic, I'd suggest the Practiced Manifester feat. Increases the maximum augment by 4 and also tyour bonus PPs/day (since they're based on ML).

axraelshelm
2008-05-18, 02:58 PM
well you should have some healing because of the psionic powers available. Empathic transfer hostile can heal you back a straight 40 hitpoints

Makkura42
2008-05-18, 06:35 PM
well you should have some healing because of the psionic powers available. Empathic transfer hostile can heal you back a straight 40 hitpoints

Ooooh, good point. I've got a ton of HP (53 if I remember correctly), and that would be perfect for healing in a pinch. Changing my plan. Thanks. :D

I had a half-orc barbarian/war mind in an orc campaign once... Never got high enough to actually get Sweeping Strike before the DM switched campaigns.

But be careful, especially when activating Rage AND (that chain which gives +2/4 Str/Con) at the same time. When the timer run outs, you'll be out a lot of HP. Be sure to get enough healing before that happens.

True true. I'll be sticking with my standard Rage, and kinda ignoring Personal Superiority until I get up to 7th in WarMind-- I'll make the switch then, since I won't have to worry about fatigue after the Chain. Though, I'm really, REALLY looking forward to the Chain Of Overwhelming Force. I mean... 10d6 damage. Sounds good to me. I'll have to collect everyone's D6s though. :smallbiggrin:

axraelshelm
2008-05-18, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=Makkura42;4339761]Ooooh, good point. I've got a ton of HP (53 if I remember correctly), and that would be perfect for healing in a pinch. Changing my plan. Thanks. :D

that's one of the reasons why i rather play a psi warrior instead of a paladin the ammounts of powers is enough to make all the paladins abilities void. And I'll argue anyone that says otherwise.

FlyMolo
2008-05-18, 08:01 PM
If you have access to Complete Psionic, I'd suggest the Practiced Manifester feat. Increases the maximum augment by 4 and also tyour bonus PPs/day (since they're based on ML).

Squared. Especially since War Mind is a PrC that grants a separate progression. This one feat will make all you powers that much stronger in a single swipe.

And you're confusing power level and manifester level here. If you have 10 levels in war mind, you're a 10th level manifester. You can only manifest 6th level powers. And if you want that 6th level, buy a headband of int +1. They're relatively cheap, about 1000 gp, I think. For a whole level of powers? Yes please.

Augmenting: You can only spend a total number of points equal to your manifester level on a single power. If you manifest a hypothetical first level power and you have manifester level 5, you can spend 4 more pp augmenting that power. 4(augments) +1 (power cost)=5 your manifester level. You don't have to, but it's usually handy. If you have manifester level 5, and you manifest a 2nd level power that costs 3 pp, you can only add 2pp in augments. Etcetera.

And I've always loved War Mind. It's a great PrC. Pick up speed of thought and up the walls. With barb fast move, you're looking at 50' base land speed and the ability to run on the walls to get around the enemy and squash the casters. How is that not awesome? For cheese, get leap attack and run up the walls and jump off for uberdamage.

The_Snark
2008-05-18, 08:11 PM
True true. I'll be sticking with my standard Rage, and kinda ignoring Personal Superiority until I get up to 7th in WarMind-- I'll make the switch then, since I won't have to worry about fatigue after the Chain.

Actually, you can use both at the same time. Rage provides untyped bonuses; Chain of Personal Superiority provides insight bonuses. They're from different sources, they aren't the same type of bonus—they stack. Enjoy.

Seffbasilisk
2008-05-18, 08:55 PM
That is incorrect.

MOSTLY right.

Amulet of Natural armor +1 (which is what I infer he's getting his +1 nat armor from) gives an ENHANCEMENT bonus to Natural Armor. As such, it should stack with Oak Body, unless the bonus to Natural Armor is an enhancement bonus.

Checking Oak body, it says "a +5 bonus to natural armor that overlaps (does not stack with) any natural armor bonus you may already have."

So Oak Body's nat armor, replaces your dwarven natural armor bonus (of +0) with it's value of +5. Then your amulet enhances it a further +1, to a +6 Nat Armor.

At least for the minute/level the power lasts.

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-18, 11:34 PM
Ah, I assumed the power gave an enhancement bonus. That's what I get for not looking stuff up. :smallbiggrin:

Makkura, I had a question concerning your build: Were you aware that you need to have a Power Point reserve (of at least 1 PP) BEFORE you can enter into War Mind? How were you planning on meeting that requirement?

You would either need to take a level in another psionic class (probably Psychic Warrior), or take the Wild Talent feat on p.52 of the Expanded Psionics Handbook (gives you 2 PP, no prerequisites, but it doesn't give you any Powers).

Makkura42
2008-05-19, 01:36 AM
Actually, you can use both at the same time. Rage provides untyped bonuses; Chain of Personal Superiority provides insight bonuses. They're from different sources, they aren't the same type of bonus—they stack. Enjoy.

Oh, now that's just amazing. Even if I lose a load of HP when they end, I'll be more than ready to heal with Empathic Transfer, Hostile.

You would either need to take a level in another psionic class (probably Psychic Warrior), or take the Wild Talent feat on p.52 of the Expanded Psionics Handbook (gives you 2 PP, no prerequisites, but it doesn't give you any Powers).

Ah, I didn't know that. It probably wouldn'tve come up as an issue, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I think I've got everything figured out, unless anyone has other comments on the idea, or has ideas of their own to contribute. :smallbiggrin:

Makkura42
2008-05-19, 05:57 AM
Ah, all be damned. I can't believe I forgot about this.

Looking through more SRD stuff, I noticed Psionic feats. A few people have mentioned auto-hypnosis, but... eh. It doesn't seem I'll have much use for it. However, expanded knowledge would allow me to get that wonderful Breath Of The Black Dragon power I've been pining over.

My question is this-- how often do you acquire feats, and are there any you would suggest?

its_all_ogre
2008-05-19, 06:10 AM
auto-hypnosis is the single most powerful skill out there except UMD.

read it repeatedly until you realise why.

(skill check to avoid dying? yes please)

Makkura42
2008-05-19, 06:44 AM
That's just the thing. We've got a really sturdy party going, with a great healer. I don't have to worry too much about dying.

Of course, if the situation does ever come up, I'm going to wish I'd taken it.

Any other suggestions though?

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-19, 10:12 AM
Nah, a War Mind can do far better than a skill check to avoid dying.

Die Hard plus Hostile Empathic Transfer equals win.

On Psionic feats: Up the Walls and Speed of Thought were suggested, and I always get those two in; Psionic Body is fun for tanking if (and only if) you have a lot of other ones; Deep Impact is great for anyone who relies on big single attacks.

:smalleek:

Just realised you could use Deep Impact with that ToB strike for +100 damage on a touch attack...

serow
2008-05-19, 10:37 AM
Oh, now that's just amazing. Even if I lose a load of HP when they end, I'll be more than ready to heal with Empathic Transfer, Hostile.No my friend, you get healing wayyy before you let them both run out. Remember, if you activate them both at the same time, Rage will block your spellcasting/manifesting! That means no Empathic Transfile, Hostile, or casting any other psionic power while you are in Rage.

A Barb/WM loses upwards of 21 HP at least when Rage & Chains expire, that's enough to kill, or drop you into negatives, especially after a hard fight! Again, especially when you activate Rage with Chains, you want to have potions, or a friendly party member who can provide some form of healing, as a buffer.
Lastly, with a Barb/WM, you want to go for pre-buffs, or swift action augments, and use your Chains at the correct time. Rage should be the sweetener you tap upon when you need the extra firepower.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-19, 11:50 AM
Manifest Vampiric Blade before you go into Rage. That should help with the healing side of things.

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-19, 05:57 PM
My question is this-- how often do you acquire feats, and are there any you would suggest?

The general rule is you gain a feat at 1st level, and every 3rd level (1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18). Several classes give you bonus feats, which usually must be chosen off a specific list (see individual class descriptions for details). Humans get a bonus feat at 1st level, but you aren't playing a human so I don't know why I'm still talking... :smallbiggrin:

Makkura42
2008-05-20, 01:24 AM
A Barb/WM loses upwards of 21 HP at least when Rage & Chains expire, that's enough to kill, or drop you into negatives, especially after a hard fight! Again, especially when you activate Rage with Chains, you want to have potions, or a friendly party member who can provide some form of healing, as a buffer.

Now I'm really confused. Right now, I'm at 59hp. When I rage, I bump to 61. How could I lose 21 whole points if I activated both of them and they expired mid-battle?

The general rule is you gain a feat at 1st level, and every 3rd level (1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18). Several classes give you bonus feats, which usually must be chosen off a specific list (see individual class descriptions for details). Humans get a bonus feat at 1st level, but you aren't playing a human so I don't know why I'm still talking... :smallbiggrin:

Thanks muchly. I levelled up last session, but haven't chosen my feat. That gives me a chance to acquire Wild Talent and take War Mind once we get a chance to rest.

The thing I'm really wondering about, though, is Psionic Feats. The only real feat I'm looking at that looks viable for what I'm going for is Expanded Knowledge, letting me gain a power one level up or down from my current manifester level, and it's cross-discipline and cross-class, which gives me a huge range of powers to choose from.

Any other ideas?

EDIT: One other thing. When I level up to such a point that I can take a feat as a barbarian, can I take a psionic feat instead-- or are the feats you can take dependent on which class has levelled up?

Lady Tialait
2008-05-20, 01:34 AM
If you have the Complete Psionic I love the Invest Armor Path of feats. Also, I like the Psionic Weapon feat path. But, if you want to use that path do yourself a favor and get Psionic Meditation. Oh, and with the Psionic Weapon Feat Path, if you you get Deep Impact and don't have Power Attack my Psionic Warrior will haunt your dreams (poor guy only made it to level 2 before he got killed by a strange gnome with pet brain moles....)

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-20, 06:54 AM
When your Constitution increases with Rage you get +2 hit points per level in all classes. A Barbarian 1/ Wizard 19 multiclass would get +40 when they enter a rage.

serow
2008-05-20, 09:19 AM
Now I'm really confused. Right now, I'm at 59hp. When I rage, I bump to 61. How could I lose 21 whole points if I activated both of them and they expired mid-battle?You're doing the math wrong. Let me show you an example.

Assume you are altogether level 7, barbarian 5 and war mind 2.
When you Rage, you gain +4 Con. When you activate Chain, you get +2 Con. Altogether, you gain +6 Con, which translates into +3 HP per hit dice (or level, in your case), which means you gained an extra +21 HP altogether, making your new HP total as 59 + 21 = 80.

Now, assuming your total Rage duration is 1 minute, which is the same duration as Chain. So when Rage and Chain both time out, you will lose all that extra 21 HP. And depending on how the fight goes, you might be near the lower end of your HP pool. So what happens if you're at 20 HP when both time out? You drop to -1 immediately.

That's why I say, when activating both, be very careful about the duration and how much HP you have remaining. Assuming at level 12, with both Rage and Upgraded Chain active, you'll have 12 x 4 = 48 extra HP, but that also means you MUST have a buffer of 39 HP at all times near the end of your duration, to avoid dropping into -10 HP (death) when they both time out.

Thanks muchly. I levelled up last session, but haven't chosen my feat. That gives me a chance to acquire Wild Talent and take War Mind once we get a chance to rest.

The thing I'm really wondering about, though, is Psionic Feats. The only real feat I'm looking at that looks viable for what I'm going for is Expanded Knowledge, letting me gain a power one level up or down from my current manifester level, and it's cross-discipline and cross-class, which gives me a huge range of powers to choose from.

Any other ideas?If you're into Psi feats for combat, consider the Psionic Weapon chain. Touch attacks are useful. But that eats up your move actions to constantly recharge your Psi focus (therefore denying the opportunities to make full attacks and making use of all that killing prowess), so another recommendation are the passive Psi feats like Up the Walls. Think of them as acrobatic combat feats.

EDIT: One other thing. When I level up to such a point that I can take a feat as a barbarian, can I take a psionic feat instead-- or are the feats you can take dependent on which class has levelled up?Feats gained at 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 can be taken as long as you meet the prerequisite at that particular level. The class/es you take only matter if the feat you want have some particular prerequisite eg. "Able to manifest 3rd level powers", "Evasion class feature". Psionic feats in general require you to have a PP reserve (in addition to other prereqs for particular feats), so as long as you have a PP reserve (and meet the other prereqs, if needed), you can take that feat.

But just one thing: you have to take a level of something first before you can take a feat. Just in case you were thinking of taking Wild Talent and then Warmind at the same level...

KillianHawkeye
2008-05-20, 06:19 PM
The only real feat I'm looking at that looks viable for what I'm going for is Expanded Knowledge, letting me gain a power one level up or down from my current manifester level, and it's cross-discipline and cross-class, which gives me a huge range of powers to choose from.

Note on Expanded Knowledge: It allows you to gain a new power of any level lower than the highest level power you can manifest. So once you can use 2nd level powers, you can use it to learn a 1st level power. Or if you can use 1st through 4th level powers, you can learn a new power up to 3rd level. It's not directly dependent on your manifester level. The War Mind class table tells you the highest level power you can manifest.

Makkura42
2008-05-20, 06:29 PM
...When you Rage, you gain +4 Con. When you activate Chain, you get +2 Con. Altogether, you gain +6 Con, which translates into +3 HP per hit dice (or level, in your case), which means you gained an extra +21 HP altogether, making your new HP total as 59 + 21 = 80."

Ah, I see. Yeah, that could definitely cause some problems... Even if we finish the battle in perfect form, obliterate the enemy, any damage I would have taken will count against my previous total when I drop out of Rage/Chain. And by the way the story is progressing, we're about to start running into some serious challenges. I guess I'll just have to be careful about my timing and make sure Tweek keeps me healed.

If you're into Psi feats for combat, consider the Psionic Weapon chain. Touch attacks are useful. But that eats up your move actions to constantly recharge your Psi focus (therefore denying the opportunities to make full attacks and making use of all that killing prowess), so another recommendation are the passive Psi feats like Up the Walls. Think of them as acrobatic combat feats.

Gotcha. That's the thing that kept putting me off of the more impressive skills-- constantly having to refocus and expend. It seems like it'd be a massive waste of time for a self-proclaimed meat shield. My main goal (as base as it is) is to charge and do an obscene amount of damage. XD In a party of a human monk, half dragon cleric, a halfling rogue (alot like Belkar, now that I think about it. :smalleek: Murderous, thieving, conniving), and a dwarf barbarian/soon to be War Mind, it falls to me to deal a good chunk of the damage, along with our half dragon. Heh, he thought his natural weapons were impressive 'til I gained that second attack with my scythe.

Feats gained at 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18 can be taken as long as you meet the prerequisite at that particular level. The class/es you take only matter if the feat you want have some particular prerequisite eg. "Able to manifest 3rd level powers", "Evasion class feature". Psionic feats in general require you to have a PP reserve (in addition to other prereqs for particular feats), so as long as you have a PP reserve (and meet the other prereqs, if needed), you can take that feat.

This raises my (presumably) last question. Say we've just obliterated a group of enemies, and I gain 1000exp total. How is that experienced div'd up between my classes, or is it up to me?

Note on Expanded Knowledge: It allows you to gain a new power of any level lower than the highest level power you can manifest. So once you can use 2nd level powers, you can use it to learn a 1st level power. Or if you can use 1st through 4th level powers, you can learn a new power up to 3rd level. It's not directly dependent on your manifester level. The War Mind class table tells you the highest level power you can manifest.

Yeah, I've been reading through it and realized I had mis-read it. Even so, it's still impressive that I can cross-class with it. Still won't be able to get my Breath Of The Black Dragon... :[ I just figured I'd not mention it because no one else had.

But thank you for pointing it out. I don't think I've ever seen a community who's this nice to someone in their first thread with as many questions as I've got. I really, really appreciate the help, everyone.

serow
2008-05-20, 09:38 PM
My main goal (as base as it is) is to charge and do an obscene amount of damage.You might want to consider Psionic Lion's Charge. As a swift action to cast and augmentable for additional damage, this gives you a VERY impressive alpha strike. And if you're not Raging, you can manifest this as and when you feel another high damage charge is in need.

This raises my (presumably) last question. Say we've just obliterated a group of enemies, and I gain 1000exp total. How is that experienced div'd up between my classes, or is it up to me?You don't split XP between classes, XP is simply totaled up. When you get enough XP, you gain a level and then decide which class you want to take.

serow
2008-05-20, 09:41 PM
My main goal (as base as it is) is to charge and do an obscene amount of damage.You might want to consider Psionic Lion's Charge. As a swift action to cast and augmentable for additional damage, this gives you a VERY impressive alpha strike. And if you're not Raging, you can manifest this as and when you feel another high damage charge is in need.

This raises my (presumably) last question. Say we've just obliterated a group of enemies, and I gain 1000exp total. How is that experienced div'd up between my classes, or is it up to me?You don't split XP between classes, XP is simply totaled up. When you get enough XP, you gain a level and then decide which class you want to take. Think of it as determining total character level.

Makkura42
2008-05-22, 12:55 AM
You don't split XP between classes, XP is simply totaled up. When you get enough XP, you gain a level and then decide which class you want to take. Think of it as determining total character level.

Gotcha. I think I'm going to stay at 6th for my Barbarian class and work on upping War Mind.

The more I look into this, the more questions I have. >_<

I should already know this (Sad, I know) but I can't remember for the life of me what the formula for determining skill points per level is. It's written on my sheet, which I (still) don't have with me. The reason I ask, is I need 8 ranks in Knowledge (Psionics).

Also, on the subject of psionic weapons/armour/items.

Vanishing

On command, this suit of armor or shield renders its wearer and all the wearer’s equipment invisible to the minds of others, as if he had manifested the power cloud mind. The wearer can use this ability twice per day.

Faint psychokinesis; ML 5th; Craft Psionic Arms and Armor, cloud mind; Price +3 bonus.

Seems pretty spiffy. My question is-- would I have to craft this myself (via the Craft Psionic Arms and Armor thing), or could it be bought from some manner of shop? And if so, would I still need to be a 5th level manifester to use it?

Temp.
2008-05-22, 01:15 AM
I should already know this (Sad, I know) but I can't remember for the life of me what the formula for determining skill points per level is. It's written on my sheet, which I (still) don't have with me. The reason I ask, is I need 8 ranks in Knowledge (Psionics). I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned this yet. It's sort of important.

Each level you get skill points equal to [Class Skill Points]+Intelligence.

You can spend these skill points for skill ranks at a 1:1 exchange for class skills (so you could use 1 skill point to raise a Barbarian's Survival check by 1).
You can spend them at a 2:1 exchange for cross-class skills (so you can spend 2 skill points to raise a Barbarian's Knowledge--Psionics score by 1).

The maximum ranks you can have for class skills (skills that are class skills for any class in which you've already taken levels) is [Class Level]+3

The maximum ranks you can put in cross-class skills (skills that aren't class skills for any class in which you've taken levels) is ([Class Level]+3)/2

Unfortunately without any multiclassing, this means that you'll have to wait until Barbarian level 13 to qualify for War Mind. ([13]+3)/2=8

What I would do is talk to your DM about modifying the entry requirements for the class, modifying the class itself or modifying your existing abilities. The alternative would be searching for an obscure Prestige Class with Knowledge (Psionics) on its class skill list (this is an ugly choice).

Makkura42
2008-05-22, 01:35 AM
Each level you get skill points equal to [Class Skill Points]+Intelligence.

...Unfortunately without any multiclassing, this means that you'll have to wait until Barbarian level 13 to qualify for War Mind. ([13]+3)/2=8

What I would do is talk to your DM about modifying the entry requirements for the class, modifying the class itself or modifying your existing abilities. The alternative would be searching for an obscure Prestige Class with Knowledge (Psionics) on its class skill list (this is an ugly choice).

Could you explain [Class Skill Points]? I don't have any materials on me, and as I said before, I'm still memorizing. :smallsigh:

Ah, finally the "flexible DM" in the title comes to good use. I'm sure he'll be understanding about how much trouble it would be to take the class without a little bending. We'll probably end up going the entry requirements route. Thank you so much for your help.

Temp.
2008-05-22, 02:10 AM
Could you explain [Class Skill Points]?It's pretty simple. In each class description there should be a little line that says something like "Skill Points per level: 4+Int" followed by* a list of class skills.

*Following? I don't have any books with me right now. They're definitely both in the same general area of the page.

Makkura42
2008-05-22, 02:14 AM
It's pretty simple. In each class description there should be a little line that says something like "Skill Points per level: 4+Int" followed by* a list of class skills.

4 + Int modifier, which would make it 6 (+2 modifier), for barbarian. I wonder if it's any different for War Mind, if that's what I'm levelling up in?

EDIT: Apparently so. 2+ INT modifier... 4, ouch. Any way to bring my modifier up? That's pitiful. XD

EDIT 2: Okay, scanning back through the posts, someone told me that I can add 1 point to one of my basic attributes every 4th level. Does that go toward the modifier, or the larger number (Or, even, does it go for the larger number, thereby changing the modifier?)

serow
2008-05-22, 09:11 AM
4 + Int modifier, which would make it 6 (+2 modifier), for barbarian. I wonder if it's any different for War Mind, if that's what I'm levelling up in?

EDIT: Apparently so. 2+ INT modifier... 4, ouch. Any way to bring my modifier up? That's pitiful. XDYou can, but it'll cost you money and resources. But do note that as a Barbarian/Warmind, you want high Str, decent Dex, high Con, and decent Wis. You can only focus on that much at any one time. We'd all like wonderful stats for everything, but you do have to make sacrifices here and there. Your consolation is that the Warmind's skill list is quite... terrible, so you don't really have to bother too much with it. :smallsmile:

EDIT 2: Okay, scanning back through the posts, someone told me that I can add 1 point to one of my basic attributes every 4th level. Does that go toward the modifier, or the larger number (Or, even, does it go for the larger number, thereby changing the modifier?)It goes to the larger number, which might/not change the modifier.

Makkura42
2008-05-22, 09:04 PM
Gotcha. Compiled everything I've learned from this thread in a nice little document.

One last thing. I'm level 6 in Barbarian right now, and 0 in War Mind as I haven't taken it yet. To level up in War Mind, do I use the basic levelling up table or do I need enough experience to raise my Barbarian level to 7, and just take that in War Mind?

Also, I don't think the skill list is terrible. It's pretty spiffy for what I'm doing.

serow
2008-05-22, 09:16 PM
One last thing. I'm level 6 in Barbarian right now, and 0 in War Mind as I haven't taken it yet. To level up in War Mind, do I use the basic levelling up table or do I need enough experience to raise my Barbarian level to 7, and just take that in War Mind?There should only be 1 XP table and that determines your total character level. So when you get enough XP to hit character level 7, assuming you've met all the prereqs for Warmind already, you can then enter your first level of Warmind at 7.

Makkura42
2008-05-22, 09:23 PM
There should only be 1 XP table and that determines your total character level. So when you get enough XP to hit character level 7, assuming you've met all the prereqs for Warmind already, you can then enter your first level of Warmind at 7.

Brutal. So my Barbarian level will stay at 6 while I level up War Mind. Maybe if the char gets killed off, or we start a new campaign I'll go Psionic from the get-go.

MorkaisChosen
2008-05-23, 04:48 AM
That shouldn't be too much of a problem. Barbarian level stays at 6, yes, but you're getting some other nifty abilities instead, and they synergise quite well with Barbarian.

Total character level will go up, and a lot of things are based on that- feats and extra stat points, for example (if you were a 6th-level Barbarian/1st level War Mind and added another War Mind level, your character level goes up to 8 and you add a point to one stat).