PDA

View Full Version : monk feat

Stycotl
2008-05-17, 12:00 PM
Unbound Spirit
With hardly any physical exertion, you can extend your ki to strike at nearly any opponent nearby, and with a moment of superior concentration, you can deliver devastating blows to those even dozens of yards away.
Prerequisites: 18th level monk, Wisdom 18, Concentrate 21 ranks, Improved Unarmed Strike, Ring the Golden Bell, Stunning Fist, Weapon Focus (Unarmed Strike)
Effect: You can deliver unarmed strikes, along with any stunning effects, martial maneuvers, or anything else, to any target within 30 feet. Further, a number of times per day equal to your Wisdom modifier, you can deliver an explosive unarmed strike up to 20 feet per point of Wisdom modifier. These special attacks deal an extra 1d6 damage per point of Wisdom modifier, and raise the save DC of any stunning fists by +4.

Stycotl
2008-05-17, 12:03 PM
so, thoughts? concentration ranks as prereq was just off the top of my head. if any one has a better suggestion, let me know. other than that, pretty much just makes the unarmed strike a ranged attack at 30 feet, at will, with a few farther, cooler attacks a couple of times a day.

Neftren
2008-05-17, 12:17 PM
Not bad, and I like the premise, but 30 feet worries me. Melee attacks do more damage than ranged attacks, and if I combined this with Sneak Attack... I'd say drop it (the range) to 15 feet or so, to prevent imbalanced combinations.

thevorpalbunny
2008-05-17, 12:39 PM
I wouldn't worry about Sneak Attack. If they've multiclassed to Monk 18/Rogue 1, they deserve their extra 1d6 damage.

Well, probably +6d6 damage or higher with the Wisdom bonus, but they still are balanced with Tome of Battle manuevers of that level.

Stycotl
2008-05-17, 03:36 PM
thanks for the thoughts.

this was balanced against the tob, which i realize not everyone likes, but i honestly don't really care all that much.

my thoughts were similar about any kind of sneak attack or martial maneuver damage. if they are high enough level to have high damage modifiers from sneak attack or other precision damage, or if they have spent the feats on martial technique, then they deserve to be able to use it.

mechanically, this gives a similar ability to that granted by the bloodstorm blade, only you are not going to have to worry about any vorpal-bane (everything) weapons being thrown around as a full attack, and the range is different.

EDIT: oh yeah, range--i'm gonna leave it where it is, because 30' is generally considered the weaker end of a ranged attack. plus, that is the cutoff for precision damage modifiers and other things, so it seems consistent. and, you have to take into account that this is still the monk that we are talking about. whether you can hit a foe at 10 feet or 30 with a fluffy bunny attack, it is still a fluffy bunny attack.