PDA

View Full Version : Quick Dread Necromancer Questions

Seatbelt
2008-05-17, 01:14 PM
I'm building a 3rd level Human Dread Necromancer, and I'm considering investing in UMD to get access to other spells/items etc since my group will most likely be lacking a primary caster. He gets +10 (14 on scrolls) from (+3 ranks, + 4 cha, +3 SF:UMD, and additional +4 from synergies). The question is: is this a viable tactic, or am I wasting my time and skill points and ability scores (on the 16 int to pull it off and still have other useful skills) and feats?

As far as feats he's rocking Tomb Tainted Soul (they should just take away the DN's first level feat and give it this. It should be errata'd in), Skill Focus: UMD, and Weapon Finesse at 3rd level. Is this optimal, or should I take magical aptitude at first as well and SF:UMD at third instead of weapon finesse for the extra +2?

The last question is, when I heal myself do I roll 1D8+level/4 or do I heal 1HP per touch?

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-17, 01:23 PM
Maxing out UMD is a good tactic, but the feats which boost it will become less useful later on. If your DM allows retraining, they would definitly be good chopices (even if he doesn't they would still be reasonable feat choices). Also, Weapon Finesse is a waste of time (you'll really need to stay out of melee as much as possible). WotC's DN article doesn't say how many HPs Charnet Touch restores, so I can't help you with that question (I don't have Heroes of Horror).

Jimp
2008-05-17, 01:50 PM
If you are going to be creating undead then the Corpsecrafter tree from Libris Mortis is a good idea. It boosts the STR and CON of created undead and the other feats in the trees gives them nifty abilities like extra cold damage or the exploding with negative energy when they die. Since you have Tomb Tainted Soul the negative energy explosion one could work out well, though I can't remember its name right now.

FlyMolo
2008-05-17, 02:35 PM
If you are going to be creating undead then the Corpsecrafter tree from Libris Mortis is a good idea. It boosts the STR and CON of created undead and the other feats in the trees gives them nifty abilities like extra cold damage or the exploding with negative energy when they die. Since you have Tomb Tainted Soul the negative energy explosion one could work out well, though I can't remember its name right now.

Retributive destruction, I think.

And yeah, Tomb-Tainted is just awesome for Dread Necro.

Heal 1d8+level/4. That's the amount of negative energy damage, right? So you heal that much.

Steelrose
2008-05-18, 12:42 PM
I recently tried a few dread necromancer concepts, this (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=759515) page really helped me make the most of them :smallsmile:

marjan
2008-05-18, 01:59 PM
It boosts the STR and CON of created undead

It boosts HP of undead, not CON, since they don't have one.

ZeroNumerous
2008-05-18, 03:21 PM
The last question is, when I heal myself do I roll 1D8+level/4 or do I heal 1HP per touch?

UMD: That works just fine, though you'll probably need to boost your UMD check by quite abit more if you want to succeed all the time. Plus scrolls will cost you an insane amount of GP in the long run.

Healing: The charnel touch ability states that it heals level/4 HP when used against an undead. Therefore, I assume it heals level/4 HP to anything that absorbs negative energy.

Steelrose
2008-05-19, 01:00 AM

If i remember correctly, corpsecrafter bonus to Str doesn't stack with the Undead mastery class feature you gain at 8th level. So at that point you'll only get the +2hp/HD for corpscrafter feat. Could still be a useful feat at early levels if you have a DM that will allow you to retrain it later on.

Secondly, in comparison, I think I'd chosen the necropolitan template rather than tomb-tainted soul. It kicks you down a level, sure, but in the long run it seems much more worth it, and you get to keep the feat :smallwink:

Healing: The charnel touch ability states that it heals level/4 HP when used against an undead. Therefore, I assume it heals level/4 HP to anything that absorbs negative energy.

Tomb-tainted soul states that you heal from negative as if you were undead. Therefore the same effects apply to the character with the feat. I'm not sure however if there is anything that can absorb negative energy without being undead or being affected as if they were undead. If such a thing existed, it should probably heal the full 1d8 +1/4 levels.

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-19, 01:36 AM
Don't forget that Necropolitan also knocks off 1000 Exps, so if you use it at the earliest opportunity (level 3), you'll end up back at level 1. Also, you'll need to wait for a while before you can heal yourself if you waited to get that Template.

Steelrose
2008-05-19, 04:08 AM
Don't forget that Necropolitan also knocks off 1000 Exps, so if you use it at the earliest opportunity (level 3), you'll end up back at level 1. Also, you'll need to wait for a while before you can heal yourself if you waited to get that Template.

That is true, though you will catch up that exp amount quite soon, just have to manage to survive CR 3 encounters on level 1 :smallwink:

The ability to heal yourself for 1 hp even at 1st level isn't that power, in my opinion. Better to stick to a cure light wounds potion or two before reaching level 3.

Jimp
2008-05-19, 07:25 AM
If i remember correctly, corpsecrafter bonus to Str doesn't stack with the Undead mastery class feature you gain at 8th level. So at that point you'll only get the +2hp/HD for corpscrafter feat. Could still be a useful feat at early levels if you have a DM that will allow you to retrain it later on.
True, but if you are going to start creating undead then the rest of the feats in the Corpsecrafter tree will be useful.
Another fun feat is Mother Cyst in Libris Mortis. It gives you access to a list of new spells and the cyst ability is just nifty as hell :smalltongue:

Steelrose
2008-05-19, 01:13 PM
True, but if you are going to start creating undead then the rest of the feats in the Corpsecrafter tree will be useful.
Another fun feat is Mother Cyst in Libris Mortis. It gives you access to a list of new spells and the cyst ability is just nifty as hell :smalltongue:

Yeah, I must say I've had a hard time choosing between the necromantic might and presence feats or the corpsecrafter feats. As for the mother cyst, if nothing else, it adds flavor :smallwink:

GrassyGnoll
2008-05-19, 10:45 PM

I'm not a fan of the Necropolitan for several reasons.

1) The fluff is shady
2) It detracts from the "slowly undead-ifying" feel of the DN
3) Aforementioned XP cost
4) Near irrevocable evil status
5) The nasty spells clerics and fellow necromancers can use on you

Steelrose
2008-05-20, 02:48 AM
I'm not a fan of the Necropolitan for several reasons.

1) The fluff is shady
2) It detracts from the "slowly undead-ifying" feel of the DN
3) Aforementioned XP cost
4) Near irrevocable evil status
5) The nasty spells clerics and fellow necromancers can use on you

The fluff is shady??

Sure, you are subject to nasty new spells which you weren't before, but you should be immune to at least the same amount if not more of the old spells that could screw with you.

The_Snark
2008-05-20, 04:56 AM
Secondly, in comparison, I think I'd chosen the necropolitan template rather than tomb-tainted soul. It kicks you down a level, sure, but in the long run it seems much more worth it, and you get to keep the feat :smallwink:

In the very long run, it's unfortunately a very bad idea, because if you're already a necropolitan, you can't become a lich. I suppose you could get yourself raised from the dead, but it's expensive and you'll have lost experience, and is really kind of silly flavor-wise.

Steelrose
2008-05-21, 01:47 AM
In the very long run, it's unfortunately a very bad idea, because if you're already a necropolitan, you can't become a lich. I suppose you could get yourself raised from the dead, but it's expensive and you'll have lost experience, and is really kind of silly flavor-wise.

I agree, that it is kinda silly that you can't be a lich because you're undead already.

Though, by the time you get to be at 19th level, a true resurrection spell wouldn't be so expensive.