PDA

View Full Version : today's stupid question: Sickening Grasp? broken or not

mabriss lethe
2008-05-17, 01:20 PM
So. I noticed this while screwing around with dread necro the other day. (as my previous post might have implied, thanks to all that replied on that one btw.)

The following quote was taken from realms help (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Sickening_Grasp,all)

As long as you have a necromancy spell of 3rd level or higher available to cast, any living creature you hit with a melee touch attack becomes sickened for a number of rounds equal to the level of the highest-level necromancy spell you have available to cast. The subject can reduce this duration to 1 round with a successful Fortitude save
-Bolded for emphasis-

Since I don't have ready access to complete mage, I'm not sure if it's an accurate description of the ability or not. As it reads right now, This ability functions every time you make a melee touch attack against a living foe, regardless of what sort of touch attack it is. Trip attempt? sickenend. melee touch spell? sickened. I'm not sure that's what wizards had in mind when they wrote this ability up. I sort of hope not.

So, those in the know, (or have Cmage handy) Is this an accurate representation of the original wording? has there been some errata added somewhere to clarify this? Am I just blowing smoke out of my rear?

Jimp
2008-05-17, 01:51 PM
Is that from a feat or a class ability?

EDIT: realised after posting that it was a feat, my bad.

ColonelFuster
2008-05-17, 02:01 PM
I believe they meant for it to be an action that you take independently, like, "I use my sickening grasp on the paladin," not, "I hit with my inflict serious wounds spell on the paladin, is he sickened now, teehee?"

Vortling
2008-05-17, 02:02 PM
Take a look at the sickened condition. Sickened (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/conditionSummary.htm#sickened). The sickened condition isn't terribly debilitating. You have to make a melee touch attack, which means getting next to them. They get a fort save to reduce the duration to one round. Overall I wouldn't put it at overpowered, but if you're in a group that doesn't optimize much it may seem that way.

mabriss lethe
2008-05-17, 02:35 PM
I believe they meant for it to be an action that you take independently, like, "I use my sickening grasp on the paladin," not, "I hit with my inflict serious wounds spell on the paladin, is he sickened now, teehee?"

I'm certain that's what they intended. But that's not what is written (at least on realms help, which is why I hope someone with Cmage is hovering around to help clarify it)

Take a look at the sickened condition. Sickened. The sickened condition isn't terribly debilitating. You have to make a melee touch attack, which means getting next to them. They get a fort save to reduce the duration to one round. Overall I wouldn't put it at overpowered, but if you're in a group that doesn't optimize much it may seem that way.

You get a -2 penalty on pretty much everything but AC. agreed, that's not too big on its own, but if the reserve feat actually functions as written on RH, then it's the icing on the cake. you can also apply it from 10 feet away if you're proficient with a guisarme (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#guisarme) and make a trip attempt. A successful save can can decrease the duration to one round, but that extra bit of softening, especially the hit to all saves, can allow other PC casters a better chance to get in there to lay down some save/sucks, or if the target fails its initial save, you can lay down the save/suck yourself in another round.

Saeveo
2008-05-17, 02:52 PM
You have to make a melee touch attack, which means getting next to them. They get a fort save to reduce the duration to one round. Overall I wouldn't put it at overpowered, but if you're in a group that doesn't optimize much it may seem that way.

I'm sure you could probably use Spectral Hand to deliver it. Depends on the DM though.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-17, 02:55 PM
That's actually the full description straight out of CMage.

SadisticFishing
2008-05-17, 03:13 PM
Actually, as a Reserve feat, it's an SLA, so you have to actually use the standard action for it.

mabriss lethe
2008-05-18, 01:19 PM
more stuff taken from realms help.

Each reserve feat's primary benefit is a supernatural ability usable at will. Unless stated otherwise, it requires a standard action to activate and does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

-empahsis mine-

Now. it is very easily be argued that the quote below does actual state otherwise. It specifically states that any creature you hit with an MTA is sickened, not that you may use an MTA to sicken a creature. If it were worded in the latter fashion, there could be no dispute.

any living creature you hit with a melee touch attack becomes sickened for a number of rounds equal to the level of the highest-level necromancy spell you have available to cast.

Compare that to Clap of Thunder

As long as you have a sonic spell of 3rd level or higher available to cast, you can deliver a melee touch attack as a standard action.

Mystic Backlash:

As long as you have an abjuration spell of 5th level or higher available to cast, you can make another creature's spellcasting harmful to itself. Use of this feat requires a melee touch attack that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. As a standard action, with a successful touch you can infuse another creature with baneful magic for a number of rounds equal to the level of the highest-level abjuration spell you have available. A successful Will save reduces this duration to 1 round.

The other reserve feats delivered via MTA are very carefully worded to indicate exactly how they are executed. Why is Sickening Grasp an exception?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-05-18, 01:42 PM
Now. it is very easily be argued that the quote below does actual state otherwise. It specifically states that any creature you hit with an MTA is sickened, not that you may use an MTA to sicken a creature. If it were worded in the latter fashion, there could be no dispute.

For it to be stated otherwise they would have to specify what action would be required if not a standard action.

The other reserve feats delivered via MTA are very carefully worded to indicate exactly how they are executed. Why is Sickening Grasp an exception?

I am sure you can find other supernatural abilities that does not specify what action it requires even though that would make things easier for people who are unaware of the general rule.
However, hopefully this thread, with your quote, has now helped inform others that if no other action is listed it requires a standard action. :smallsmile:

Tengu
2008-05-18, 01:50 PM
Who'd take a feat that lets you sicken creatures with a touch, anyway? Abolish bathing for a year and go on a strict diet of old cheese and garlic and you achieve the same result.