PDA

View Full Version : What a week!!

Griever
2008-05-17, 03:32 PM
By far and wide I think this week has been my worst of my life and, quite literally, I just feel like I need to write it all down somewhere, so here I go.

First, some background on myself. I have never been althetic, always get out of breath very easily and tend by far to lean towards the more mental area of life (calculus being my true love of school :smallcool: ). I have never been in a car accident, never been admitted to the hospital as a patient since I was born and never really been in a life threatening situation.

Context: May 5th-May 16th holds two weeks of college level AP exams for me.

Friday May 9th, 2008: After getting out of school and on my way to go eat dinner with some friends, (I'm driving in my car) I get rear-ended by a 3/4 ton Chevy truck towing a boat (I drive a 2006 Hyundai Tiburon, not exactly a big car) Trunk entirely smashed in the trunk (unopenable) and I got shaken up(first accident ever). I get out, get insurance information and try to go on with my plans, trying to keep the night from being ruined. Get back home safe and sound after dinner but thoroughly stressed.

Saturday May 10th, 2008: I turned 18! Yay... rather deflated from the car accident the day before. Spend most of the day trying to get a half-decent estimate of which I fail to find anywhere as most of the damage could be "hidden" and not findable until car is taken apart.

Sunday May 11th - Wednesday May 14th, 2008: Continued feelings of severe tiredness coupled with stress, end up missing some school.

Wednesday May 14th, 2008: While up and walking around, the world just starts spinning, complete loss of balance, some limbs begin going numb and start vomiting everywhere. Not a pretty picture. Can't stand without falling down, end up calling my doctor and being told to go to the Emergency Room and get an EKG done now.

Thursday May 15th, 1:00-3:00 AM: Arrive at Hospital, they take my blood pressure twice and find the readings at about ~ 50 over 30 with my temperature at about 86 degrees Farenheit. They immediately take me to the Emergency Room where they try to figure out WTH is going on. About 30 minutes later they stick me on an external pacemaker. Basically two (I think, was rather out of it at the time) metal boxes on either side that continually shock me every fixed short time interval, lotsa fun. Shortly after this point I fall asleep or just lose consciousness, either way, same result.

During this point my older brother and sister arrive and are told by the doctor, along with my mom that if they do not put a temporary internal pacemaker in me right then I would die. Also, even if they did put said device in me, I might die. So they were pretty freaked out.

About 8-9 AM Thursday: I wake up in ICU (Intensive Care Unit), most of my family is there Find out they hooked me up with a Temporary pacemaker, which is basically a wire they run up an artery from your hip to your heart which shocks it to keep it up in pace.

My family tells me that apparently I had something called Complete Heart Stop, not exactly common in 18-year-olds. The doctors continually run tests throughout Thursday to try and figure out the cause of the Heart Stop, without avail. They tell me that they will put in a permanent pacemaker at 1:30 PM on Friday. My family leaves when visiting hours end and I fall asleep at about 11 PM.

1.5 hours later (12:30 AM, Friday) I wake up in a room crowded with nurses and doctors. Apparently, from what my drowsy state could figure out, the temporary pacemaker wasn't "catching" and my blood pressure had dropped back down to under 50, bad. So after plenty of poking and finally one big jab by a doctor with the temporary pacemaker rod, it started catching again, yay... I fall asleep and wake up at 7 AM to find out they moved up my surgery in lieu of last night to 8ish AM. I go through the surgery (lovely gas stuff they gave me, must say) and they finally take out my cathoder :smallbiggrin: about an hour and a half after the surgery ends (so about... 12:30).

Friday then passes rather uneventfully until Saturday comes where they then released me, told me I can't shower until Tuesday and can't go back to school (where I need to take two college-level exams) until they say so, which could be two weeks!

So, anyone have some advice or comforting words about pacemakers, or about what causes Complete Heart Stop (which we still have no idea where it came from)?

And, well, a happy belated birthday to myself!

Mr. Moon
2008-05-17, 04:38 PM
That is one heck of a sweet 18. And here I just want to go bungy jumping.

Anyway, it's good to hear that everything turned out okay. Best of luck with the pacemaker.

Cristo Meyers
2008-05-17, 04:47 PM
Jumping Jesus on a Pogo Stick...and I can't even remember my 18th.

Hope 19 goes better for you. You get better soon, yeah? Structured just won't be the same without you.

Bor the Barbarian Monk
2008-05-17, 05:12 PM
Griver, follow doctor's orders. My brother is going through some serious cardiovascular stuff, and I've stressed to him the importance of following doctors' orders to avoid that whole death thing.

The only thing I know about a pacemaker is that my grandmother had one for many, many years. I remember something about her not being allowed near the microwave when it was in use. After that, I know nothing.

Have someone make a run to Wal-Mart and look for some anti-bacterial wipes. In the past, when I wasn't permitted to shower, I used lemon scented "Wet Ones: Big Ones." One wipe per area of the body should keep you from stinking. :smallwink: (That is, one for arms, one for torso, one per leg and foot, etc.)

As for your exams, call your teachers and explain what's happened. See if they can't make arrangements for you to take the tests once you've recovered.

The most important thing - and I can't stress this enough - is to not stress over these events. Easier said than done, I'm sure, but worrying over that which you can't control will only put undue pressure on your heart. Relax, rent some movies, read some books, and/or play some video games. Lots of rest, too. Need a nap before you go to sleep at night? (Right up there with a snack before dinner.) Go for it! And if you need to vent emotionally, you're more than welcome to visit the Depression Thread to unload. :smallsmile:

See the bold print in my sig for further instructions. :smallwink:

faerwain
2008-05-17, 05:58 PM
Holy crap. Now that was week...Still, Happy Belated Birthday(seriously).
I can't give you any practical advise, but Best Wishes and good vibrations from over the big pond, get back on your feet soon.

Additionally to Bor's good instructions, whenever you feel that you get too overstressed or desperate about school etc. and all the following problems of your misadventures, remind yourself to take the correct point of view:
You were hit by a truck - and your car's crush zone worked.
Your heart stopped - and they made it beat again.
This week was out to get you - and missed twice.
Not too belittle your situation, but compared to the fact that you made it out alive of your collapse should make every other problem small in your mind. You will find ways to solve them. (In fact, a classmate of me made his degree after weeks in the hospital during test time, not allowed to really move as his back was injured. Schools face these situations more or less regularly, and they are used to find ways to work this out.)

Again, best wishes for quick recovery, and whenever you need to get some steam out or just talk, we are here:smallwink:

Bitzeralisis
2008-05-17, 06:39 PM
Wow.

Wow.

Hell Puppi
2008-05-17, 07:11 PM
Man I thought I was having a rough week, but you totally put that in perspective.

Happy Belated Birthday!

Parvum
2008-05-17, 09:21 PM
Quite the fascinating tale. Your chances of death were increased to considerable levels on multiple occasions in the course of a week, yes? Impressive. Remain in high spirits, or this will be considerably less interesting.

Though I do not offer quality advice, I would suggest you think of the future more than the present, when you will be well and perhaps realizing the experience you have survived. Too many humans die without saying that their life was not put to significant risk.

Yoritomo Himeko
2008-05-17, 11:31 PM
Wow, that's awful! I can't imagine getting a pacemaker at 18! Anyway, I hope you're feeling better.

I wish I could offer some advice, but the others got that covered. So I'll just offer some hugs and prayers.

Well, happy belated birthday at least. :smallsmile:

DarkLightDragon
2008-05-18, 01:36 AM
That... I don't know!

I'll give you a *hug* and hope that helps.

Solo
2008-05-18, 01:44 AM
Happy Birthday! (UHH!)
Happy Birthday! (UHH!)

Death and gloom and black despair
People dying everywhere.
On your Birthday! Happy Birthday!

Black Death has just struck your town
You yourself feel quite run-down.

Birthdays come but once a year
Marking time as Death draws near.

So you've aged another year
Now you know that Death is near.

Now that you're the age you are
Your demise cannot be far.

So far death you have bypassed
Don't look back it's gaining fast.

It's your birthday never fear
You'll be dead this time next year.

We brought linen, white as cloud
Now we'll sit and sew your shroud.

Mordokai
2008-05-18, 01:57 AM
That sure sounds as sucky week. Like faerwain said, you're still alive, be glad that is so. With everything happening to you, it could be easily the other way around.

Hope everything turns out ok for you. And happy birthday, belated as is. May your next ones be better.

Solo
2008-05-18, 09:38 AM
Just think of it this way: You are now more like our vice president! Isn't that wonderful?

Flickerdart
2008-05-18, 10:08 AM
I think you're missing the positive of the situation: you are now a cyborg. :smallwink:

Uncle Festy
2008-05-18, 11:24 AM
Darnit, Solo!
I was gonna do that!
Oh, and yeah. Cyborgs are pretty awesome.

banjo1985
2008-05-19, 04:42 AM
Damnit Griever, thats one hell of a tough week. I'm just glad you're still with us! :smallsmile:

Don't stress over the exams. Colleges have procedures for thsi kind of thing, and it's best for your health if you try to forget about it while you recuperate.

As for Complete Heart Stop syndrome, I don't know too much about it. Might have been bought on by the stress of the car crash if anything. As a fellow with a dodgy ticker myself (hole in the heart at birth, thankfully closed up for now) all I can say is to look after the little guy, and think of the fun you can have at airports now setting the metal detectors off! :smallbiggrin:

NikkTheTrick
2008-05-19, 03:35 PM
Think positive: now car accident does not seem that much of a problem.

That said, I heard pacemakers are not too bad. Just stay away from big magnets (no NMR for you).

Don't worry about exams since you have a *very* good reason for skipping them. That means more time to stody. And if they still complain, screw them.

How does it feel now? Does it hurt? Do you feel like something is inside you?

Once again, think positive! Things were so bad that now everything will seem so good. It is a lot better to have such week past you than ahead of you :smallwink: