PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sourcebooks?

Caxton
2008-05-17, 05:25 PM
Are there any good sourcebooks for an eastern setting? I'm trying to put together a campaign. Thanks!

Jimp
2008-05-17, 05:44 PM
Try the Oriental Adventures sourcebook and the Rokugan or Legend of the Five Rings settings books.

puppyavenger
2008-05-17, 05:45 PM
Possibly Oriental Adventures? can't think of anything besides that.

Ivius
2008-05-17, 05:46 PM
The standard eastern book is Oriental Adventures. You could look at Tome of Battle for the martial arts (it's great for any campaign, really). There's also an eastern flavored mage, the Wu Jen, in Complete Arcane.

Hurlbut
2008-05-17, 06:09 PM
The standard eastern book is Oriental Adventures. You could look at Tome of Battle for the martial arts (it's geat for any campaign, really). There's also an eastern flavored mage, the Wu Jen, in Complete Arcane.Wu Jen is already featured in OA, even though it's 3.0 but there is a 3.5 update for the OA.

Reel On, Love
2008-05-17, 06:11 PM
What kind of "Eastern" do you want? Generic Chinapan?

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-17, 06:29 PM
Stay away from the horror that is Mahasarpa, as well. It's an even more transparent knock-off and crass simplification of its subject matter than OA is of, as ROL says, 'Chinapan'.

RTGoodman
2008-05-17, 06:31 PM
There's also the Shugenja from... Complete Divine?

Also, if you're looking for something less general, I'm pretty sure there are settings based on non-Chinese/Japanese stuff. I distinctly remember seeing an Indian setting somewhere, and I think some other stuff. I couldn't find it again, though.

EDIT: I believe that the "Mahasarpa" Illiterate Scribe mentioned is the Indian setting I mentioned. Maybe you should avoid it, based on his description.

Deth Muncher
2008-05-17, 06:52 PM
There's always al-Qadim, which I THINK is in Dragon Magazine, but don't quote me.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-17, 07:30 PM
There's some al-Qadim stuff here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/tsr9449corsairs.zip) and here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/tsr9459caravans.zip), although that's little better.

In general, your best bet is to look at the elements of an 'eastern' culture that you like the look of, and extrapolate your own culture based on them.

Edward Said would have a field day with this thread.

Caxton
2008-05-17, 08:53 PM
I shouldve been more specific. I need chinese themes. I can't believe i didnt think of oriental adventures though. Thanks!

Kasanip
2008-05-17, 10:01 PM
I shouldve been more specific. I need chinese themes. I can't believe i didnt think of oriental adventures though. Thanks!

Just as a word of warning, Oriental Adventures is very heavily aimed towards Japanese culture, with very little in the way of other Asian cultures. You can still probably appropriate some of the ideas and setting from it however.

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-17, 10:04 PM
Legend of Five Rings d20 edition has like a million books published for it, and they seem like fairly solid stuff. (Although, as always, the genre- and style-specific L5R with its own mechanics is much, much better.) It's a Japanese-Chinese-Indian setting (in order of prevalence).

There's also Unapproachable East for FR. It's barely 3.5, and it was based on 3.0 FR rules, so it's a bit quirky in places, but it's not a bad sourcebook. It's not really terribly "eastern" though.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-17, 10:07 PM

Y'know, that's easy, looking for a single country. Just read up some stories from different times, do some search on the culture, and mesh it all. Works tremendously well.

Soup of Kings
2008-05-18, 12:14 AM
There's always al-Qadim, which I THINK is in Dragon Magazine, but don't quote me.

Take THAT!

Anyway, yeah, if you're looking for a specific culture, it shouldn't be too hard to do a bit of your own research and integrate it yourself as you see fit, what with the internets being what they are.