PDA

View Full Version : Animate Dead question

mikethepoor
2008-05-17, 07:25 PM
What kind of action does it take to command undead animated with the Animate Dead spell: standard, move, or free? The RAW doesn't say, and I'm not a DM, so I thought I'd ask.

Bigbrother87
2008-05-17, 08:32 PM
Odd that this hasn't been answered.

According to this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateDead.htm), it's a Standard Action.

Devils_Advocate
2008-05-18, 04:06 PM
Um... It doesn't actually say that. It says that it's a standard action to cast the spell, but that's not the same thing.

kamikasei
2008-05-18, 04:13 PM
I'd go with a standard action, treating it as the same process as an evil cleric controlling undead.

ZeroNumerous
2008-05-18, 04:27 PM
Free, as you have total mental control over each of the undead you created. Otherwise taking a standard action to command each and every undead separately would be a waste of casting the spell.

Bigbrother87
2008-05-18, 04:47 PM
Um... It doesn't actually say that. It says that it's a standard action to cast the spell, but that's not the same thing.

Aha, I see the difference now. Thanks for the correction.

wormwood
2008-05-18, 07:07 PM
Free, as you have total mental control over each of the undead you created. Otherwise taking a standard action to command each and every undead separately would be a waste of casting the spell.

Actually, you do NOT have mental control over the undead you create. You have to be able to speak to them.

This spell turns the bones or bodies of dead creatures into undead skeletons or zombies that follow your spoken commands. *emphasis mine

As far as what type of action it takes... speaking is a free action.

I'd go with a standard action, treating it as the same process as an evil cleric controlling undead.

Strangely, the process of clerics controlling undead is different. They DO get mental control of the rebuked (commanded) undead they own. It is a standard action to do the rebuking and another to do the controlling.

Commanded: A commanded undead creature is under the mental control of the evil cleric. The cleric must take a standard action to give mental orders to a commanded undead. At any one time, the cleric may command any number of undead whose total Hit Dice do not exceed his level. He may voluntarily relinquish command on any commanded undead creature or creatures in order to command new ones.