PDA

View Full Version : Lien and Falling

Electric_Monkey
2008-05-17, 08:26 PM
Lien should fall - she just encouraged Elan to commit blasphemy out of a cowardly desire to avoid being sacrificed to a hand-puppet.

Poster's note: The above post is parody, and does not represent my actual opinions.

Mauve Shirt
2008-05-17, 08:42 PM
But not blasphemy against HER gods!
Thank goodness. :smallwink:

PaladinFreak
2008-05-18, 10:50 AM
Obviously, she is evil and must be destroyed!

Thank God you were joking. On these forums, you never can tell.

King of Nowhere
2008-05-18, 06:13 PM
Human sacrifices are ok only if made with condemned criminals or volunteers.
Of course, refusing to offer themselves volunteer for sacrifice is a crime punishable with death.

Coldheart
2008-05-19, 03:34 PM
I still say the aztec way was the best.

Two teams fought in game similar to basketball with some volleyball elements.The winner would then be sacrifized,because he had proven his worth...

or was it the loser?:smallconfused:

Nethertheless I say:

Lets have a game orcs against the humans,to decide who is going to be sacrifed.

To op:Lien would probaly fall once in the game....to the ground at least:smallbiggrin:

paladinofshojo
2008-05-21, 11:04 PM
Wiat, why didn't she fall for "taking it from behind" during her Junior Prom, the 12 gods may obviously have some objection toward that, I doubt Thor does but the 12 Gods maybe.

The Extinguisher
2008-05-22, 12:32 AM
Getting some is not evil or against the paladin code. So no problems there.

David Argall
2008-05-22, 01:21 AM

Getting some is not evil per se. As the comments about the tavern of infinite one-night stands shows, this is definitely a dubious area, where the sex can easily be a sin. Lien is very unlikely to have fallen from her experience, for one thing because she was very unlikely to have been a paladin then. But there are all sorts of ways it could have been evil or against the paladin code. [Since the basic definition of law is that everything is either forbidden or mandatory, the casual sex suggested is distinctly chaotic, and disapproved by paladin codes.]

Tempest Fennac
2008-05-22, 01:33 AM
In regards to the Aztecs, the losers were sacrificed. They also sacrificed people who were captured in battle (they would often have Garland Wars where they didn't attempt to take over other parts of South America in order to get prisoners). This was a problem when the Spaniards arrived because their obsession with taking people alive was harder then killing them (they captured Cortes at one point, but he was rescued).

Helanna
2008-05-22, 02:42 PM
Human sacrifices are ok only if made with condemned criminals or volunteers.
Of course, refusing to offer themselves volunteer for sacrifice is a crime punishable with death.

Heh heh. Discworld has a quote for everything! :smallbiggrin:

Really, what's wrong with Lien?! She doesn't want to be sacrificed to a fake hand puppet god? Sheesh, is it just me or are the sacrifices getting uppity lately?

Connington
2008-05-22, 03:48 PM
other parts of South America

The Aztecs could teleport?:smalltongue:

ideasmith
2008-05-23, 07:05 PM
The Aztecs could teleport?:smalltongue:

He probably considers Mexico part of South America. Judging by his choice of wording.

Steven the Lich
2008-05-25, 06:41 PM
Lien never did anything against her own gods, just against one that was mistakenly taken for one due to a shamans garments being the same. Pure coincidence.
Paladins fall from grace should they break their code or do a wrong of powerful meaning. Lien has done no such thing, otherwise she would be a Miko.

Yeoman
2008-05-26, 12:51 PM

And she likely wasn't a paladin then. The paladin code says absolutely nothing about things done before you become one.

So... I'm guessing wild parties the night before the Sapphire Gaurd take their oaths.

turkishproverb
2008-05-26, 11:23 PM
And she likely wasn't a paladin then. The paladin code says absolutely nothing about things done before you become one.

So... I'm guessing wild parties the night before the Sapphire Gaurd take their oaths.

So THATS what that once a year celebration is about.

Yeoman
2008-05-27, 02:48 PM
So THATS what that once a year celebration is about.

Good call. Actually totally wouldn't surprise me. Give the incoming Paladin's one last chance to go wild before they'll have tough duties both spiritual and secular, and raise them to status as the first act in the new year.

King of Nowhere
2008-05-27, 05:25 PM
"I was thinking of becoming a paladin, I wanted to learn some more"
"Basically, by becoming a paladin you will end your social life. You can't have parties, sex outside of the wedding (and low chances of dating), you won't have friends except for other paladins, even if you have a high charisma. You will have a noble leader (non necessarily paladin) and you will obey his orders, even if your leader appear to be dumb, crazy, or not good. Your orders will often send you in remote part of the world to fight evil, and you will stay away for month or years. You will grow a stick up your ass as a class feature."
"Neat. But I wanted to know the class powers."
"Basically, you will depend upon three different stats in order to cast spells or heal. For the rest, you will be basically a fighter without bonus feats. You will be immune to fear, which means that you will go fighting like a dumbass because you won't fell the risk. And you will have to respect a lot of pointless rules, like don't use poison even if your enemy totally deserves death, don't stab your enemy in the back even if not doing so would result in him killing you and conquering the world, respect an oath a person you never met did to people you never met for all the wrong reasons even if that means endangering the very fabric of universe, and such"
"And the afterlife reward?"
"You will be enclosed with other paladins, and you will still have a stick up your ass and can't have fun with other souls or go to the tavern of infinite one night stands."
"Yeah. So, why should I want to became a paladin?"
"To fight evil and help people."
"Why can't I just take another class and do that?"
"Uhm... I have no idea. We're still working on that part"

Seriously, where do they find new recruits???

The Extinguisher
2008-05-27, 05:37 PM
Ugh. Why is it that no one thinks Paladin's can have a good time and must remain celibate and boring?

We see clearly that Hinjo is a fun guy who obviously had some wacky adventures. In the lawful good afterlife, that is a plane made of pure law and good, there is the Tavern of Infinite One Night Stands. So it's clearly fine there?

I really don't get it.

Lupy
2008-05-27, 06:00 PM
She can't fall for an action she committed before becoming a Pally (I assume so at least, she was in High School) and now appears to regret.

Why are we spoilering? I want in on the scheme!

Jayngfet
2008-05-27, 06:26 PM
Personally I never saw why paladins must be played as celibate and boring myself, barring whatever order you belong to having a code against it I see no reason to play a sexually irresponsible paladin(read the description for half celestial, beings of pure good are hardly much better.)

bahamut920
2008-05-27, 10:38 PM
Maybe not "sexually irresponsible" (definitely chaotic, get too bad and you'll change alignments and fall), but certainly not (necessarily) celibate. There's nothing in the paladin code about marriage or sex, you just gotta make sure that you're "doing it" (pun intended) for the right reasons, or else you'll regret it. For example, if you really love someone, and you commit yourself to them, then sex outside wedlock is probably fine. Or even a one-night stand every so often, if both parties are aware of precisely what is going on.

King of Nowhere
2008-05-28, 03:56 AM
Ok, I knew I exagerated a bit in my description, but I got an inspiration and I followed it. Anyway, paladins have really something against sex and fun, at least in OOTSworld, see for example hinjo here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html) or here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html). The problem is that paladins are lawful, and lawful people generally act as they're supposed to do. And the dirt farmer who call the help of the knight in shiny armor don't suppose that he will have party and get drunk or that she's an easy girl.
I wouldn't care about that, in fact I'm chaotic good, so I could never be a paladin. Paladins are supposed to be serious, at least most of the time.

David Argall
2008-05-28, 04:49 PM
Personally I never saw why paladins must be played as celibate and boring myself, barring whatever order you belong to having a code against it I see no reason to play a sexually irresponsible paladin(read the description for half celestial, beings of pure good are hardly much better.)

As noted, the sorts of sex you have in mind are rather clearly chaotic. That doesn't put them off limits entirely, but there are clearly serious limits and reservations.
[As to the holy tavern of one night stands, note this is linked to guilt. So no, there is not an all-clear here.]

The Extinguisher
2008-05-28, 06:03 PM
Ok, I knew I exagerated a bit in my description, but I got an inspiration and I followed it. Anyway, paladins have really something against sex and fun, at least in OOTSworld, see for example hinjo here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0501.html) or here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0302.html). The problem is that paladins are lawful, and lawful people generally act as they're supposed to do. And the dirt farmer who call the help of the knight in shiny armor don't suppose that he will have party and get drunk or that she's an easy girl.
I wouldn't care about that, in fact I'm chaotic good, so I could never be a paladin. Paladins are supposed to be serious, at least most of the time.

For the record, that was Daigo's and Kazumi's opinion, and Hinjo's stance as future ruler of the city. Not as a paladin.

Red XIV
2008-05-28, 07:10 PM
For the record, that was Daigo's and Kazumi's opinion, and Hinjo's stance as future ruler of the city. Not as a paladin.
Exactly. Hinjo makes it clear that he'd like to be enjoying the party like everybody else, but that his position as heir to the throne means he can't.