PDA

View Full Version : The Superhero Initiative (D&D Style)

SamTheCleric
2008-05-17, 09:31 PM
Ok, I got inspired from a few threads today... the "Mithral Man" thread and all the talk of Joker, Batman, Nightwing and Taskmaster...

The goal of this thread? Pick your favorite superhero or supervillain... and stat them out using D&D 3.5 rules.

Ok, go!

Tsotha-lanti
2008-05-17, 10:39 PM
Moon Knight
Human Rogue 3/Fighter 2/Vigilante 10
Pimped-out Constitution, with Great Fortitude, and probably Karmic Strike and/or Robilar's Gambit.

I guess occasionally he'd become a Divine Rank 0/1 emissary/avatar of Khonshu.

Alternatively, a were-badass human, and/or Rogue 3/Cleric 3 of Khonshu/Vigilante 10.

Jack_Simth
2008-05-17, 11:02 PM
Superman:
Wilder-20, with Psychic Reformation. Standard kryptonite generates an anti-psionic field.

Eldariel
2008-05-17, 11:26 PM
Well, not my favourite, but I just realized how appropriate it is. I present unto thee:

Spiderman - Monk 20! Think about it; he doesn't really get hurt on falls, he's got superhuman senses (Wis-focus, maxed Spot and Listen), he can hit REALLY hard and move REALLY fast; webslinger is just equipment that shoots rope out of his hands with "grappling hooks" that don't need to grapple anything. Apparently the rest of his points are in Climb and Use Rope (with high Dex).

Alternatively Werespider, I suppose, but that's not nearly as funny.

Xefas
2008-05-17, 11:43 PM
Well, not my favourite, but I just realized how appropriate it is. I present unto thee:

Spiderman - Monk 20! Think about it; he doesn't really get hurt on falls, he's got superhuman senses (Wis-focus, maxed Spot and Listen), he can hit REALLY hard and move REALLY fast; webslinger is just equipment that shoots rope out of his hands with "grappling hooks" that don't need to grapple anything. Apparently the rest of his points are in Climb and Use Rope (with high Dex).

Alternatively Werespider, I suppose, but that's not nearly as funny.

Warlock might be more appropriate if you could homebrew an Eldritch Essence Invocation that allowed Eldritch Blast to cause the Entangled condition on a hit.

They have a Least invocation that allows them to wall-crawl like Spiderman (Spiderwalk?). Damage Reduction for his superhuman resilience, Fiendish Resilience for wounds healing quickly, maybe Leaps and Bounds invocation to simulate his superhuman agility/reflexes? Dark Ones Own Luck could simulate some kind of Spider Sense...

Eldariel
2008-05-18, 11:39 AM
Warlock might be more appropriate if you could homebrew an Eldritch Essence Invocation that allowed Eldritch Blast to cause the Entangled condition on a hit.

They have a Least invocation that allows them to wall-crawl like Spiderman (Spiderwalk?). Damage Reduction for his superhuman resilience, Fiendish Resilience for wounds healing quickly, maybe Leaps and Bounds invocation to simulate his superhuman agility/reflexes? Dark Ones Own Luck could simulate some kind of Spider Sense...

The important distinction is that according to the source material, the webslinging wasn't an inherent ability for him, but rather a device he built himself, which would mean having an inherent ability to toss Entangling Blasts would violate the core material.

Serenity
2008-05-18, 05:28 PM
I'd say Unarmed Swordsage with a slight dip in Artificer to make his wonderful toys. Tiger Claw for jumping, Stone Dragon for super-strength, Diamond Mind for smarts, speed, and Spider Sense. And Setting Sun, of course.

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-18, 05:33 PM
I do not have the book on me at the moment, but Capt. America is SO a Warblade/Bloodstorm Blade that's "two-handing" a heavy metal shield. If I had the book, I'd SO flesh the build out.

Kurald Galain
2008-05-18, 05:36 PM
According to Start of Darkness,
Wolverine, Jean Grey, Cyclops and Storm are considered sorcerers. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, since many comic superheroes have one particular special power, warlock works well for a lot of them. Cyclops? Eldritch blast, refluffed as an eye beam. Nightcrawler? Spiderwalk, devil's sight, and flee the scene. Mystique? I think there was an invocation for Change Self at will.

Rogue has to be a spellthief, I can't think of anything else that matches her draining power. Xavier is quite obviously a psion. Storm is probably a high-level druid given her plethora of nature-related powers. Wolverine feels like a rogue, mostly.

Chronos
2008-05-18, 05:39 PM
I think spider-sense (at least in the super-fast-reflexes guise it mostly shows up as lately) is best modeled by Wis to AC, which could just as easily be Monk, Swordsage, or Ninja. The old style, "something bad is happening on the other side of town right now" spider-sense is a bit harder to model in D&D (there are things that can give information at range like that, but they're mostly more detailed than a vague "something's wrong").

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-18, 06:15 PM
Wolverine is a Dwarven Feral Mineral Warrior Barbarian3/Fighter1/Fist of the ForestX/DeepwardenX/X with the Whirling Fenzy and Trapkiller class variants. (It's been house ruled that his two claw attacks deal damage as adamantine weapons to match his DR. His bonus vs giants is anti-sentinel.) :smallbiggrin:

Chronos
2008-05-18, 06:38 PM
And the funny hair tufts are a very unconventional beard?

Hadrian_Emrys
2008-05-18, 07:04 PM
Quite. :smallbiggrin:

The player was trying to be orginal and described the character as having a rare hair growth disorder. :smalltongue:

Solo
2008-05-18, 10:59 PM
Myabe you could have Beastboy as a Wildshape Ranger, Robin as a Rogue, Cyborg as a Warforged Artificer, Starfire as a Warlock, and Raven as a....? Some sort of caster.... that has to do with shadows and TK.... a Tiefling Wizard?

kpenguin
2008-05-19, 12:06 AM
The important distinction is that according to the source material, the webslinging wasn't an inherent ability for him, but rather a device he built himself, which would mean having an inherent ability to toss Entangling Blasts would violate the core material.

Spidey's spinners are biological now, after awakening his spider totem thingy.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-19, 12:18 AM
Myabe you could have Beastboy as a Wildshape Ranger, Robin as a Rogue, Cyborg as a Warforged Artificer, Starfire as a Warlock, and Raven as a....? Some sort of caster.... that has to do with shadows and TK.... a Tiefling Wizard?

A shadowcaster? Or shadowcraft mage?