PDA

View Full Version : Computer Query

tyckspoon
2008-05-18, 12:58 AM
I seem to have activated one of the random poorly documented 'helper' features in Windows XP. My shift key is functioning as a Control key, displacing the normal shift function of choosing the alt-function of a key. Additionally, some of the control functions seem to be remapped; Find has been moved from ctrl-f to ctrl-g. Anybody here know what I may have activated and how to turn it back off [question mark that can't be typed without shift]

Solo
2008-05-18, 01:03 AM
First, power off the great machine.

Strike the first rune upon the computer's casing employing the chosen mouse. Its tip should be anointed with the oil of babies using the proper incantation when the auspices are correct.
Strike the second rune upon the computer's casing employing the corner-tip of the keyboard.
If the second rune is not good, a third rune may be struck in a manner like unto the first. This is done according to the true ritual laid down by Billi the Micro-soft.
A libation should be offered, and incense shall be burned.
If this sequence is properly observed the computer may be brought to full activation by depressing the large panel marked ‘ON’.

All your problems should be solved by thus appeasing the machine spirit.

tyckspoon
2008-05-18, 01:05 AM
Already tried rebooting, thanks. :smallamused: Seems to have been registered as a preference or similar, but I have no idea what it is or where the correct menu to change it might be.

Groundhog
2008-05-18, 05:41 AM
Okay, what I think you did was accidentally press Ctrl-Shift, which is the keyboard command for "switch keyboard layouts" I did that once, and the keyboard switched to the Dvorak layout. To fix it, since the new layout seems to have done something to your shift key, go to "regional and language options" in the control panel, click the tab on the menu labeled "languages", then click the button that says "details." This will bring up a menu with all of the keyboard input options. You should be able to change it back from there.
Hope this helps!