PDA

View Full Version : Fun Stuff w/ Whips?

kpenguin
2008-05-18, 05:16 AM
I was watching Raiders of the Lost Ark and Temple of Doom today (part of my getting ready for the new Indy movie coming out soon) and I thought to myself, "Wouldn't it be awesome to make a character that could do all that cool stuff with a whip?"

Unfortunately, I've only been able to find the skill trick from Complete Scoundrel that allows you to climb with a whip. Is there anything else that will allow me to do cool things with whips?

Solo
2008-05-18, 05:38 AM
First you'll need some possessions, so buy some masterwork manacles and a woman....

kpenguin
2008-05-18, 05:39 AM
First you'll need some possessions, so buy some masterwork manacles and a woman....

Shoulda seen that one coming.

Tengu
2008-05-18, 05:40 AM

I'm pretty sure you can ask RoL for some advice in that regard.

Rad
2008-05-18, 05:46 AM
mmmm... kinky :smallbiggrin:
Oh, in that sense? Nothing I know of.

Is there any ToB discipline having the whip as a preferred weapon?

Rutee
2008-05-18, 05:54 AM
Whips are fun by default, trust me (It's too easy, KPenguin).

I think ToB maneuvers will work with a whip regardless of Favored status, but that's not what you're asking for..

...You know, this is one you may have to just say to your GM "What do you want me to do to do this?"

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-18, 06:09 AM
It may not be exactly the same, but i think braid blade (DU 12) is a pretty cool guy, eh crits mightily, makes extra attacks, and doesn't afraid of anything. (http://thrynnwiki.wikidot.com/braid-blade)

Of course, you're killing stuff with your hair, but still. Also, note that there is only one limit to the number that you can wield - the number of hairs on your head.

Loviatar has some whip-related stuff.

Spiryt
2008-05-18, 06:15 AM
Considering it's lenght and other things, whip makes good controlling equipment....

Indeed, it's too easy.

Anyway, if I remember well, (and I watched Temple of Doom) Indy was manily climbing (or generally covering distances) with whips, as well as disarming foes.

Counting this Complete Scoundrel thing, whip rules already covers that all, I believe.

Kami2awa
2008-05-18, 06:20 AM
You can disarm with a whip according to Core; you can disarm with any weapon, a whip is good for it because it has long reach. Technically, you can SUNDER with a whip too since it deals slashing damage, but the damage is a bit weak so you may want some enhancing enchantments on it. I can easily see a house rule allowing a whip to be weighted/sharpened into a scourge to deal lethal damage. Whips are also good for Trip attacks, and there should IMO be mechanics for entangling enemies with a whip.

Dhavaer
2008-05-18, 06:32 AM
The 3.0 book Sword and Fist had the Lashmaster, which was, IIRC, pretty cool.

Solo
2008-05-18, 06:36 AM

Will pursuing this line of thought force me to roll Sanity checks?

Kurald Galain
2008-05-18, 06:37 AM
The whip's reach combines well with the duskblade's greater arcane channeling ability. Of course, you need to be level 13 to pull that one off...

Bayar
2008-05-18, 06:46 AM
Abberant blood and Inhuman reach. Be a duskblade 3 and go to town.

I can easily see a house rule allowing a whip to be weighted/sharpened into a scourge to deal lethal damage.

There were strenghtened whips in a sourcebook (forgot which) that gave you the ability to add your STR bonus to damage in much the same way Strenghtened composite bows do.

Arbitrarity
2008-05-18, 06:51 AM
Actually, my bard/crusader gish (going into sublime chord, and using JPM) gets a good deal of use out of his whip, as whipping someone with divine surge stings hard. Especially with the dagger-whip from.. where was that from? Arms and Equipment guide?
*slap*
46 damage
*So... charge, or move? His cursed mobility means we can't actually full attack*
On another tangent, halfling warblade/unarmed swordsage, lunging strike, abberant blood, inhuman reach, and Dancing Blade form :smalltongue:
My hands have 20 ft reach!

Bayar
2008-05-18, 06:59 AM
On another tangent, halfling warblade/unarmed swordsage, lunging strike, abberant blood, inhuman reach, and Dancing Blade form :smalltongue:
My hands have 20 ft reach!

I ninja'd you :smallbiggrin:

25 Actually. The whip has a 15 feet reach, so it will go to 25. Think it like this: the whip's center is in 10 feet. it can also attack in 5 feet and 15 feet. With inhuman reach, that 10 feet gets to 15 feet. It can still attack adjactent foes (5 feet) so it can attack foes 25 feet away to be equal.:smallbiggrin:

Arbitrarity
2008-05-18, 07:15 AM
But you're using a whip, I'm using my bare hands, which is much more verismilitude breaking.

It means the 3 ft tall character can actually slap someone across a room, without moving from a 5 ft area. With his hands, and slightly long arms.

And with all the things I used, it's 30 ft with a whip. Which, admittedly, is pretty darn long, but not as anatomically amusing.

Tengu
2008-05-18, 07:38 AM
Will pursuing this line of thought force me to roll Sanity checks?

Think of it that way - the less sanity you have, the harder it is to lose it.

Shovah
2008-05-18, 07:40 AM
You can use any part of your body for an unarmed strike, right?
Just something to think about for that 20 ft reach thing.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-05-18, 07:45 AM

No, ponder this - head hair is not the only place that one could attach a braid blade.

Arbitrarity
2008-05-18, 07:57 AM
Think of it that way - the less sanity you have, the harder it is to lose it.

That's not true! Success on a sanity check is d% less than your current SAN score, meaning more SAN makes it harder to lose!

Halfling. 3 ft tall. With maybe 3 ft long arms, considering inhuman reach.

And no. Dungeonscape will not help you. I'm not even going to start thinking about the 20 ft object in that book, or I'll remember the last time I brought it up.

And my SAN score is low enough already.

BRC
2008-05-18, 07:59 AM
The Lasher PRC is what your looking for. It's got everything short of catchy theme music.

Tengu
2008-05-18, 08:06 AM
There's also this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70961) prestige class.

J-H
2008-05-18, 08:58 AM
Isn't a Spiked Chain basically a 2-handed chain whip?

I could see a DM allowing a small spiked ball on the end of the whip to boost your damage die a bit.

Yes, I'm thinking of Castlevania whip upgrades.

RTGoodman
2008-05-18, 10:06 AM
Well, you're definitely going to want to pick up the whip-dagger or bladed whip or whatever it's called that Arbitrarity mentioned. I'm pretty sure it's in the Arms & Equipment Guide, and it'll actually allow you to, you know, deal lethal damage with the whip. (Note: the Lasher and other stuff may allow that, but I've not spent a lot of time learning about whips in D&D).

Also, Improved Disarm is basically necessary - I mean, what's cooler than knocking a guy's gun/knife/hat/whatever into the dirt from 20 feet away with a whip?

Tengu
2008-05-18, 11:24 AM
Also, Improved Disarm is basically necessary - I mean, what's cooler than knocking a guy's gun/knife/hat/whatever into the dirt from 20 feet away with a whip?

This (http://youtube.com/watch?v=iORmi46dowo&feature=related). Although it's related.

mabriss lethe
2008-05-18, 03:16 PM
There's a whipdagger, or is it daggerwhip...one of the two in Sword and Fist. mechanically identical to a normal whip, except that it deals lethal damage and isn't hindered by a target's armor.

Ah, whip dagger. Details from Forgotten Realms Help

A character who takes an Exotic Weapon Proficiency in the whip is also proficient in the whip dagger. (You do not need to take a separate feat to use the whip dagger if you already have a feat for the whip.) The whip dagger is heavier than a standard whip and deals normal damage due to the barbs that run along its length and the dagger-like tip (which inflicts deep wounds when accelerated to strike by a proficient user). Unlike standard whips, armor bonuses and natural armor bonuses do not hinder its ability to deal damage. Although you keep it in hand, treat it as a ranged weapon with a maximum range of 15 feet and no range penalties.
Because the whip dagger can wrap around an enemy's leg or other limb, you can make trip attacks with it. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the whip dagger to avoid being tripped.
You get a +2 bonus on your opposed attack roll when attempting to disarm an opponent (including the roll to keep from being disarmed yourself if you fail to disarm your opponent).

Reel On, Love
2008-05-18, 03:39 PM

Now, now.
I have no experience with buying women...

As for fun uses for whips, you can use them during kinky sex.
(What? Everyone else was implying it, I thought I might as well make it clear.)

Arbitrarity
2008-05-18, 03:42 PM
Now, now.
I have no experience with buying women...

As for fun uses for whips, you can use them during kinky sex.
(What? Everyone else was implying it, I thought I might as well make it clear.)

Agh! Insufficient subtlety!
Also, the emphasis on the second sentance disturbs me, likely intentionally. I though you were being forthright, and lacking in innuendo!

Flickerdart
2008-05-18, 03:53 PM
Hmm...

Take any class that can store spells in a weapon. Store Entangle. Whip. Enjoy.

Overlard
2008-05-18, 03:58 PM
I'm really hoping that 4ed will allow the whip to deal lethal damage, and not be hindered by armour.

Sure, those things make sense, but still...

kpenguin
2008-05-18, 11:00 PM
The Lasher PRC is what your looking for. It's got everything short of catchy theme music.

Where's it from?

Tengu
2008-05-19, 06:02 AM
Some 3.0 book. Song and Silence or Sword and Fist.