PDA

View Full Version : Exalted Virginity Lost Last Night

Talya
2008-05-18, 10:28 AM
Combat in this game was a hell of a lot of fun.

I like it.

SamTheCleric
2008-05-18, 10:29 AM
Between this and the thread on fun with whips... I'm getting very disappointed by thread titles.

Glad you had fun playing exhalted. :smallsmile: I'm gonna try it out one of these days!

Scintillatus
2008-05-18, 10:30 AM
I want to play it but I don't think I am epic enough with my character design.

Talya
2008-05-18, 10:39 AM
My character is a stealthy-thieving martial artist/monk type. Night caste. I dropped dire chain and went with a Wrackstaff instead. I think I was the only one in our party who "got it" yet, other than the DM...I went into great detail describing my attack flurries before I rolled them. The DM kept giving me bonus "stunt" dice.

We started as a bunch of dynastic scions who had disappointed our families by not exalting. Then on a wilderness excursion, we exalted as solars, and were attacked by the Wyld Hunt.

wadledo
2008-05-18, 10:47 AM
*Insert joke about gentleness*
Bravo!
Welcome to the flock.:smallbiggrin:

Xuincherguixe
2008-05-18, 11:14 AM
I want to give it a shot too myself, I've heard that it's full of potential to be awesome.

Tengu
2008-05-18, 11:20 AM
Believe me, further times feel as good as the first one. Maybe even more, as you get more experienced and learn things that make it even more enjoyable.

Bleen
2008-05-18, 11:21 AM
Barring all other intervention, me and some friends plan to sometime in June.

None of us have actually used the system before, and we all have terrible memories. I expect hilarity. Copious amounts of failure optional.

GryffonDurime
2008-05-18, 11:57 AM
Mmm...more Exalted in the Playground!

It's a grand little game, isn't it?

serow
2008-05-18, 12:00 PM
Ive always wanted to try Exalted but never got past reading the book...
Too much text. Really really terrible...

GrassyGnoll
2008-05-18, 12:23 PM
I thought you meant a feat in Exalted Deeds...

Bleen
2008-05-18, 12:24 PM
Mmm...more Exalted in the Playground!

We really need a banner for that.

kamikasei
2008-05-18, 12:31 PM
So, did the earth move?

Or any other minor celestial bodies?

Talya
2008-05-18, 12:38 PM
So, did the earth move?

Or any other minor celestial bodies?

She's got an Appearance score of 5. I'd call that a major celestial body.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-18, 01:29 PM
She's got an Appearance score of 5. I'd call that a major celestial body.

Heh, I think I know the Ultimate destiny then:

"You talk about your woman
I wish you could see mine..." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivfoVCQM47U)

GryffonDurime
2008-05-18, 01:36 PM
We really need a banner for that.

Yeah, I'm working on it.

...Kinda.

Poison_Fish
2008-05-18, 03:16 PM
Congratulations.

Now flee, flee from the wyld hunt!!

Indon
2008-05-18, 03:19 PM
Believe me, further times feel as good as the first one. Maybe even more, as you get more experienced and learn things that make it even more enjoyable.

Indeed, especially once you start learning about more positions.

For your character.

To be in.

In Creation.

While you're roleplaying.

Such as the Realm.

*cough*

GryffonDurime
2008-05-18, 03:22 PM
Indeed, especially once you start learning about more positions.

For your character.

To be in.

In Creation.

While you're roleplaying.

Such as the Realm.

*cough*

It's even better when you start studying the sutras.

And you learn about the right stances and motions.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-18, 03:27 PM
It probably reaches the apex when you find Lilavati, but that's a major quest in and of itself.

Kyeudo
2008-05-18, 04:22 PM
The amount of innuendo in this thread is starting to reach critical mass.

Exalted is so amazing, just writing a backstory for it is fun. Once you get playing, it's like being in an action movie.

Burrito
2008-05-18, 04:47 PM
Just be sure to use the right Protection spell. You don't want your character to have to make a Con check against a disease or affliction.

GryffonDurime
2008-05-18, 04:49 PM
Just be sure to use the right Protection spell. You don't want your character to have to make a Con check against a disease or affliction.

Con checks? Bah! We use Stamina, here, boyo! And unless Venus has amused herself creating Celestial-level diseases for...things...Exalted most likely aren't going to catch 'em anyway.

...And if anyone wants it, the banner also comes in a Lunar flavor:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f102/GryffonDurime/Lunathin.jpg

Indon
2008-05-18, 04:59 PM
Con checks? Bah! We use Stamina, here, boyo! And unless Venus has amused herself creating Celestial-level diseases for...things...Exalted most likely aren't going to catch 'em anyway.

Stamina plus Resistance. Even a mortal with a good pool can shrug off a lot of standard diseases.

Poison_Fish
2008-05-18, 05:26 PM

Very nice, that just leaves only a few exalt types left. Good detail.

On another note, this is what CPoC style is for. Kung-fu disease spreading is the name of the game.

Triaxx
2008-05-18, 05:31 PM
Right up until you have to make the massive check to avoid a case of That Damn Crabs.

Critical Mass Alert

Quick: Pull it out!

Mass Failure. Have a nice day.

BOOM.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-18, 05:38 PM

This are not exalted banners. This are good, but are not Exalted because they lack one thing...

Grand Daiklaves.

GryffonDurime
2008-05-18, 05:58 PM
This are not exalted banners. This are good, but are not Exalted because they lack one thing...

Grand Daiklaves.

Daiklaves may be Exalted, but Exaltedis not just Daiklaves. The Unconquered Sun said so himself, because that's not a Daiklave he wields--it's a dire lance! Surely you do not question the logic of the master of Yu-Shan and Creation?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-18, 06:04 PM
Oh, no, I do not question it. I destroy it with GIANT FROG!

Who said a mind of anarchic thoughts made of is not useful?

GryffonDurime
2008-05-18, 06:06 PM
Oh, no, I do not question it. I destroy it with GIANT FROG!

Who said a mind of anarchic thoughts made of is not useful?

...o-o?

Are you a Rakshasa?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-18, 06:08 PM
not, only a man who has a most chaotic sense of humour and a mad swirl of colours for a brain, enrapturing and blinding everyone who comes close to it, that's who I am

Thanks for the lesson in nonfreestandingness, Finnegan's Wake!

Bleen
2008-05-18, 06:41 PM
Needs more lens flare.

GryffonDurime
2008-05-18, 06:47 PM
Needs more lens flare.

Shush you.

I'll not hold court to your mischief.

Ravyn
2008-05-20, 04:35 PM
You know, Gryf, we don't all play Solars and Lunars down here.

*grins* And meh, grand daiklaves are for people with no imagination and far too much need to stroke their egos. My scariest character had a modified infinite jade chakram, and the next scariest used a soulsteel bonegraft and a yo-yo. Then there was the one with the improvised weapons, but....

Anyway, anyone have any good suggestions for pepping up combat after you've played four years and seen it all?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-20, 04:39 PM
You know, Gryf, we don't all play Solars and Lunars down here.

*grins* And meh, grand daiklaves are for people with no imagination and far too much need to stroke their egos. My scariest character had a modified infinite jade chakram, and the next scariest used a soulsteel bonegraft and a yo-yo. Then there was the one with the improvised weapons, but....

Anyway, anyone have any good suggestions for pepping up combat after you've played four years and seen it all?

Disagree there. It is one of the 27 laws of fiction that swords and derivatives ARE, in fact, the best possible weapons short of Mary Sue empathics, because they are very versatile and let the wielder define the style, instead of defining the wielder.

And yeah, easy.

Throw a great Abyssal named David Hasselhoff at your players. That should scare them, big time.

Ravyn
2008-05-20, 04:46 PM
I meant for me, not for them. They seem to be doing fine, even if I am running out of new situations. The devineko were fun the first round or two, but the group wasn't getting properly creeped out; the fate-twisting demon spider fell flat after a round or two; and even the echo-demon fetich of the sound-themed Yozi was starting to lose its niftiness after that first round. They're not bored, but I last about a round, maybe two, before it turns into "I've seen this before. I've done this before. Are we done yet?"

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-20, 04:49 PM
Play a mindgame, instead of a combat game. Make a superkiller, a truly vile and depraved individual, something like a Hannibal + Mason Verger gestalt, and fill the players with fear and dread. Make it a situation that isn't won, merely averted or stopped.

Ravyn
2008-05-20, 05:05 PM
I think we're talking about two different things. I don't have problems with plots; my group's knee-deep in Celestial politics and mostly enjoying it. It is specifically combat that I have started hating. (This goes double when everyone's at 500+ XP.) And one of my players, unfortunately, seems to like combat and.... conversations that can't be done with the full group, really. (The rest of them enjoyed the 14-way Sidereal Calvinball I ran last week.) I've tried implacable foe; I even managed to get them to run away a couple weeks ago. It's more.... they like fighting, but I dread having to type "Roll initiative". There's nothing new in it anymore.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-20, 05:08 PM
...And what the hell did I just say? Make the combat a whisper, a shadow, a hunter-seeker algorithm. Don't use head on fighters, and use immense tension build ups before the PC's catch even a fleeting glimpse of the guy.

Really, combat is not only "NEEDS MOAR MOOKS!". It's as much psychological as it is die rolls. Make them fight shadows, if they're such desperate rollplayers.

Ravyn
2008-05-20, 05:36 PM
You and I are not on the same page. The problem is just as much mechanical flow as anything--and the fact that this group is very hard to fill with fear and dread without just overwhelming them. I haven't used mooks since the thirty-someth session, and I'm on a hundred and three. I've done opponents who crawled out of the skins of random extras (or even parried incoming attacks from under said skins; that would've been fun if I hadn't actually had to hint at them to get them to react to it). I've done beings that operated by mechanical principles the group had no familiarity with. I've done fate-twisting demons that played with the group for a whole session by putting them in a temporospatial mobius strip and triggering a little bit of Great Cursey behavior. Their reactions.... left a lot to be desired. (The 14-way Sidereal Calvinball, on the other hand.... that was fun.)

Though if you can show me how to get your concept past a Twilight who's so absurdly awareness-specced he'd find a needle in the haystack before he even bothered looking for it....

Azerian Kelimon
2008-05-20, 05:49 PM
You and I are not on the same page. The problem is just as much mechanical flow as anything--and the fact that this group is very hard to fill with fear and dread without just overwhelming them. I haven't used mooks since the thirty-someth session, and I'm on a hundred and three. I've done opponents who crawled out of the skins of random extras (or even parried incoming attacks from under said skins; that would've been fun if I hadn't actually had to hint at them to get them to react to it). I've done beings that operated by mechanical principles the group had no familiarity with. I've done fate-twisting demons that played with the group for a whole session by putting them in a temporospatial mobius strip and triggering a little bit of Great Cursey behavior. Their reactions.... left a lot to be desired. (The 14-way Sidereal Calvinball, on the other hand.... that was fun.)

Though if you can show me how to get your concept past a Twilight who's so absurdly awareness-specced he'd find a needle in the haystack before he even bothered looking for it....

Cheat, or have the killer not be there, which is the kind of thing an insane superintelligent killer would do. Be creative, go into morbid detail about the horribly mutilated victims, use audio, turn off the lights and employ cinematics, and act it out, specially.

And if that doesn't work, just houserule new options or a different combat system, though I can't help with that.

Swooper
2008-05-20, 08:14 PM
I've been looking through the main rulebook for a few days now, and it looks like a very interesting, if completely different from everything I'm used to, system. Very over the top, but I guess that's the idea. I'm going to try to get my group to try either that or WFRP this summer. Not that I expect it to succeed :smallannoyed: